Trevor Lawrence Paid

Sometimes un-answered prayers are a blessing. Yes, we could have lost the battle but won the war, drafting Trevor. It could be the Jets forced to hand an avg QB $55m per. 

But for that honor, the Jets roster would be avg at best. 

Jets would not have Vera Tucker on the Oline.

Jets would not have Sauce, best DB in the league, playing in our backfield.

Jets would not have Garrett Wilson, top 3 WR running routs for us.

Jets would be so void of skill players, we'd never burn a high 2nd round pick on a RB.

Breece Hall would be racking up yards on some other team.

So ya, we could have won the Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes, but we' have an avg team (at best) still struggling to reach the playoffs.

Un-Answered prayers!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Plus that HAIR! Worth 65% of that contract right there! 

Well, yeah.

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If you want me to break it down for you, he was worse in every statistical category last season.

In 2023, he had a lower completion percentage, threw for less yds & less TD's (-4).

He threw more INT's (+6) took more sacks (+8) and had a worse passer rating - he ranked 16th in the NFL last season in passer rating - right in the middle of the pack.

EDIT: I stand corrected, he ranked 22nd in the NFL in passer rating in 2023, that's squarely in the bottom half of the league.

NFL Passer Rating Leaders 2023 | StatMuse

It's right here in black & white:

Trevor Lawrence Career Stats - NFL - ESPN

Again, why?

His OL was 29th according to PFF.  Do you think that matters? 

Judging by your numbers romfrom above, 29th out of 32 is bad.  

Did you look at his game logs?

His numbers were on pace for career highs in everything (except TDs), while playing behind the 29th OL.  9 of 12 games he had a QB rating of 90 or above.  His last 4?  Barely broke 80 twice.  He QBR followed a similar pattern.  Seven of his first 12 games were above 70.  After his injury?  Wanna guess?  It was bad.  Did he all of sudden suck? 7 picks in 12 games and then 7 in his last four.

It is in black and white.  You are looking at from 50K feet.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, batman10023 said:

but why did he regress?

You tell me?

If you're implying that stating he regressed, is being a bit harsh, well o.k.

I'm just looking at the stats & the stats indicate that he took a step back - you pick the correct term for it, if you don't like regress.

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

It is getting so crazy that a Billy Beane style is going to emerge where you load up on other positions and try to win it all without a top QB.

13 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Aaron Rodgers axed $30 million guaranteed off his salary to come to this sh*tty team yet we suddenly hate him because his Achilles popped last year and he made a prior arrangement with Saleh and Douglas months ago to miss a two day minicamp, all the while participating in every practice beforehand…

Great posts! We are very fortunate to have Rodgers, if for no other reason than we have a Top 5 Qb for the cost of a top 20 Qb. JD has 2 years to develop Travis or another candidate to take over for pennies on the $. EVERY team will be drafting a development Qb every draft at this rate. It's just too expensive to give 2nd or 3rd contracts..... unless it's a Mahomes level player who can win with scrubs and a good defense

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

You tell me?

If you're implying that stating he regressed, is being a bit harsh, well o.k.

I'm just looking at the stats & the stats indicate that he took a step back - you pick the correct term for it, if you don't like regress.

i don't know why he regressed.  hence asking.  i see the stats saying he regressed (statistically) but why?

hurt, bad WR, ?  other?

3 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Sometimes un-answered prayers are a blessing. Yes, we could have lost the battle but won the war, drafting Trevor. It could be the Jets forced to hand an avg QB $55m per. 

But for that honor, the Jets roster would be avg at best. 

Jets would not have Vera Tucker on the Oline.

Jets would not have Sauce, best DB in the league, playing in our backfield.

Jets would not have Garrett Wilson, top 3 WR running routs for us.

Jets would be so void of skill players, we'd never burn a high 2nd round pick on a RB.

Breece Hall would be racking up yards on some other team.

So ya, we could have won the Trevor Lawrence Sweepstakes, but we' have an avg team (at best) still struggling to reach the playoffs.

Un-Answered prayers!

Not that Vera-Tucker has played even half a season the past two years, but why is it the Jets wouldn't have AVT if they drafted Lawrence at #1 instead of Wilson at #2? 

Also seeing how Jacksonville still ended up with the #1 pick (with Lawrence) anyway, after a pretty bad rookie season of his own - including a loss to the Jets, which only happened because of a couple TDs with our offense off the field - why is it a given our pick slots in 2022 would've been so different than they were after Zach Wilson's rookie season that was accompanied by the #32 defense? Does rookie Lawrence also hang 34 points on the AFC Champ Bengals? Odds are against it.

There are other benefits of going the other way, too -- it's not all downsides. 

Just for starters, of the players you're saying we'd have lost, without naming players we'd have gotten in their place, the implication & impression that's left is that they'd be replaced with absolutely nobody. That's all if we don't end up 4-13 anyway, which is as likely as not tbh.

The other side of the coin is it's easier to get FAs to come to your team if they think the only justification for choosing here over elsewhere is the higher contract offer (which still isn't enough for plenty of good/great players with better options). So maybe they attract better WR and TE free agent talent than Davis - Cole - Lazard - Cobb - Hardman - Uzomah - Conklin.

Maybe knowing the Jets were getting Lawrence at #1, and perhaps acquiring better-attracted veteran WRs before the draft means the team isn't locked in on Elijah Moore at the top of round 2.

In that case, maybe they take the best tackle to fall to their natural pick at #23 (Darrisaw), keep the extra pair of 3rd rounders, and go interior OL at the top of round 2 (e.g. Dickerson, Humphrey) instead of Moore. That maybe would also mean bypassing on dumping - $46MM - on two years of bust FAs Duane Brown & Laken Tomlinson.

Plus the Jets would still suck, so the last maybe is he'd have been so terrible maybe they don't bother with an extension they'll live to regret either. 

Lots of maybes beyond maybes that we wouldn't have this or that coveted player we did draft ;)

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Aaron Rodgers axed $30 million guaranteed off his salary to come to this sh*tty team yet we suddenly hate him because his Achilles popped last year and he made a prior arrangement with Saleh and Douglas months ago to miss a two day minicamp, all the while participating in every practice beforehand…

This fanbase deserves every Zach Wilson that comes rolling down the pike.

They allow the very media they disdain to influence their every viewpoint.

It still irks me that the trade cost us that much.  The fact that he axed 30mm should not have factored into the trade.

who else would have traded for him and been able to give even close to what we did.  

mcdonald better do great this year.

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

It still irks me that the trade cost us that much.  The fact that he axed 30mm should not have factored into the trade.

who else would have traded for him and been able to give even close to what we did.  

mcdonald better do great this year.

McDonald?? Rodgers better do great this year.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, peebag said:

Yea...it would totally suck to have Trevor Lawrence as our QB right now

/s

I'd prefer Arod.  Then another cheap rookie lottery ticket vs TL at this price.

/not s

8 hours ago, GangGreened said:

Aren’t his numbers nearly identical to his backup Mac Jones?

Gardner Minshew played  about the same games,  and has better stats than Lawrence .     No ones paying Gardner Minshew anywhere that amount of money.     Blake bortles with no talent whatsoever did better than Lawrence.    https://stathead.com/football/versus-finder.cgi?player_id2=MinsGa00&player_id1=LawrTr00&request=1

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Great posts! We are very fortunate to have Rodgers, if for no other reason than we have a Top 5 Qb for the cost of a top 20 Qb. JD has 2 years to develop Travis or another candidate to take over for pennies on the $. EVERY team will be drafting a development Qb every draft at this rate. It's just too expensive to give 2nd or 3rd contracts..... unless it's a Mahomes level player who can win with scrubs and a good defense

Is a Rodgers really a top five Qb at this stage of his career .   I highly doubt that,  but he doesn’t have to be as long as he’s top fifteen .   That is good enough to win with.    Only time going to say what a a Rodgers is at this point.    

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not that Vera-Tucker has played even half a season the past two years, but why is it the Jets wouldn't have AVT if they drafted Lawrence at #1 instead of Wilson at #2? 

Also seeing how Jacksonville still ended up with the #1 pick (with Lawrence) anyway, after a pretty bad rookie season of his own - including a loss to the Jets, which only happened because of a couple TDs with our offense off the field - why is it a given our pick slots in 2022 would've been so different than they were after Zach Wilson's rookie season that was accompanied by the #32 defense? Does rookie Lawrence also hang 34 points on the AFC Champ Bengals? Odds are against it.

There are other benefits of going the other way, too -- it's not all downsides. 

Just for starters, of the players you're saying we'd have lost, without naming players we'd have gotten in their place, the implication & impression that's left is that they'd be replaced with absolutely nobody. That's all if we don't end up 4-13 anyway, which is as likely as not tbh.

The other side of the coin is it's easier to get FAs to come to your team if they think the only justification for choosing here over elsewhere is the higher contract offer (which still isn't enough for plenty of good/great players with better options). So maybe they attract better WR and TE free agent talent than Davis - Cole - Lazard - Cobb - Hardman - Uzomah - Conklin.

Maybe knowing the Jets were getting Lawrence at #1, and perhaps acquiring better-attracted veteran WRs before the draft means the team isn't locked in on Elijah Moore at the top of round 2.

In that case, maybe they take the best tackle to fall to their natural pick at #23 (Darrisaw), keep the extra pair of 3rd rounders, and go interior OL at the top of round 2 (e.g. Dickerson, Humphrey) instead of Moore. That maybe would also mean bypassing on dumping - $46MM - on two years of bust FAs Duane Brown & Laken Tomlinson.

Plus the Jets would still suck, so the last maybe is he'd have been so terrible maybe they don't bother with an extension they'll live to regret either. 

Lots of maybes beyond maybes that we wouldn't have this or that coveted player we did draft ;)

High points of our current roster is the silver lining to having the NFL's worse QB for 3 entire seasons. If we had even an avg QB (Daniel Jones, Trevor Larwrence, etc) I don't think we end up with Amand Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, and what the heck, throw in Aaron Rodgers. We'd be the pre-Burrow-Bengals. 8-8 every year. Too good to draft superstars, too bad to make the SB. We'd be an avg team that once in a while drops huge coin and a FA that fails to deliver (again!).

NFL Purgatory

Just my guess....

• Upvote 1

You can have Trevor Lawrence as the highest paid QB in the league or Aaron Rodgers as the 15th highest paid. Who you taking?

AOC. 2024 season Superbowl winner/ MVP.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Is a Rodgers really a top five Qb at this stage of his career .   I highly doubt that,  but he doesn’t have to be as long as he’s top fifteen .   That is good enough to win with.    Only time going to say what a a Rodgers is at this point.    

Obviously, the performance of the OL, Hall/Allen, GW and Mike Williams will have a big part in that Top 5 or Top 15 debate. Football smarts and arm talent definitely place him in top 10 alone. 

The coaching staff is bottom 10, so that will weigh on Rodgers performance as well. We need the Defense to provide Rodgers with as many opportunities as possible. Symbiotic relationship for sure.

I’d feel a lot better if we were able to upgrade the WR #3 over Lazard, but it is what it is. If everyone stays healthy for once, the OL & WR should give Hall & Rodgers enough talent to operate.

14 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

One more thing. Of these 15 Qb’s, who would you place above Rodgers?

Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Jackson, Goff are givens.

Herbert, Prescott, Tua, Stroud, Purdy, Love, Hurts, Mayfield and Cousins are where things favor Rodgers IMO.

34 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Herbert, Prescott, Tua, Stroud, Purdy, Love, Hurts, Mayfield and Cousins are where things favor Rodgers IMO.

What about Danny Dimes?

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2024 at 5:57 PM, Mike135 said:

Makes me glad we picked 2nd that year.  I'd rather fail miserably (Zach) and move on, vs pay big for what is likely mediocrity.

Yeah it worked great.  0 playoff appearances, still the joke of the NFL and now we are putting all of our eggs in a basket that is a 40 year old qb coming off the worst injury of his career who would rather be retired and doing some other nonsense 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Literally all of them

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, FootballLove said:

High points of our current roster is the silver lining to having the NFL's worse QB for 3 entire seasons. If we had even an avg QB (Daniel Jones, Trevor Larwrence, etc) I don't think we end up with Amand Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Breece Hall, and what the heck, throw in Aaron Rodgers. We'd be the pre-Burrow-Bengals. 8-8 every year. Too good to draft superstars, too bad to make the SB. We'd be an avg team that once in a while drops huge coin and a FA that fails to deliver (again!).

NFL Purgatory

Just my guess....

Lawrence wasn't an average QB in 2021 and the Jets had the #32 defense.

There's every likelihood they'd have been in the identical draft positions in 2022.

53 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

Aaron is 40 with a foot in a retirement home

The team and front office obviously don’t see that watching him on the field. Quotes like “stone cold killer” from Sauce, and CJ telling teammates that “you can’t defend that” on a red zone TD. 

Being a skeptic is your bag… we’ll see how the season plays out.

56 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

The team and front office obviously don’t see that watching him on the field. Quotes like “stone cold killer” from Sauce, and CJ telling teammates that “you can’t defend that” on a red zone TD. 

Being a skeptic is your bag… we’ll see how the season plays out.

He has Zack Wilson either playing for us this season or winning the MVP with Denver, depending on what day it is 😅