Countdown to Kickoff

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Bryce Huff?

Only if this was an Eagles site. 

Second choice would have been Mike D'Amato from the SB team.  But there are a few DBs from that team with bigger impact coming up in the next few days.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

#46 Bill Baird

Where Are They Now: Bill Baird

NY Jets Bill Baird: A Solid Piece of a Great Defense! - Jets Rewind 

Defensive back anchor from 1963-1969.  35 INTs in 7 yrs.  Provided the veteran leadership in 67-69 that led to SB III Championship. 

If I hadn't gotten sidetracked by work this AM. that is the guy I would have posted.  Huge part of the back end of that Championship team.  

• Upvote 1

#42 no, not Ronnie Lott, who wasn't with the Jets enough time to be meaningful.  Of course it's Bruce harper, one of my favorite all-time NY Jets (and the # Ed chose to wear all these years as well).

Bruce Harper New York Jets Signed 8x10 Glossy Photo JSA Authenticated

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Is that John Dockery?

Yes, it is.  Not many options for day 43, but he was on the SB team and carved out a nice career for himself as a broadcaster.

• Upvote 1

On 7/24/2024 at 9:17 AM, Dcat said:

Holmes was a pretty good ball hawk back in the 80s.  He had 14 INTs in his 6 years with the team.  Not much else for #47 for this team.  Scott Frost?  LOL.

He was a monster gunner on punt coverage. 

I think he was severely underrated.  I think when he ran off to the USFL it really hurt the D, but I guess not as much as canning Walt.  When he came back, with Russell Carter who was excellent when he wasn't injured or dinged (which was most of the time) they were a pretty tough secondary.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Randy Beverly No. 42 New York Jets Football 8x10 Color Photo

My entry for day 42 - the guy who had two picks in the Super Bowl.  Randy Beverly.

His son coached in Italy.  Nice guy.  He went to UCLA and was big into their program.  I also played/coached there with the cousin of guy who will contend for #39.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Randy Beverly No. 42 New York Jets Football 8x10 Color Photo

My entry for day 42 - the guy who had two picks in the Super Bowl.  Randy Beverly.

I met Randy Beverly when I was around 10.  My mother worked with either his wife or another relative.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

#42 no, not Ronnie Lott, who wasn't with the Jets enough time to be meaningful.  Of course it's Bruce harper, one of my favorite all-time NY Jets (and the # Ed chose to wear all these years as well).

Bruce Harper New York Jets Signed 8x10 Glossy Photo JSA Authenticated

He went to HS in Englewood :)

I still have the gas station giveaway drawing-print of him in a box around here somewhere. Papa Sperm brought them home; I can't remember if all at once or released one at a time >40 years ago. Mine have yellowed scotch tape marks & thumbtack holes at the edges/corners from putting them up on my bedroom walls, but the artwork parts are still in good shape last time I checked.

Anyway iirc Harper's was the best action shot/drawing of the lot. 

• Upvote 4

New York Jets BOBBY JACKSON Signed Photo

Day 40, Bobby Jackson.  There are certain plays that stick in my mind, even 40+ years later. I refer to them as the hidden turning point where you don't recognize the significance of a play until much later.  Last drive of the Jets-Phins late season game in Miami in 82.  We are up 2.  Jackson fails to hold an interception on the final drive that led to Uwe Von Schamann's game winning FG.  Jackson holds that pass, Jets run out the last 30 seconds and the Mud Bowl never happens -- game would have been played in Jersey.

Jackson tried to make up for it the next week. with two picks, including a pick 6 and a blocked FG return for a TD against the Vikings to help the Jets clinch a playoff spot.  But that dropped pick was a hidden turning point in the season.

I get to re-live another one of those hidden turning points next week as the Countdown rolls on.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Dunnie said:

They did not score a TD on the ensuing plays .. right ?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

no, they did not. IIRC, not even a FG.  They lost that game against those horrible throwback Bear unis.

• Lith featured and unfeatured this topic