Countdown to Kickoff

On 7/21/2024 at 9:13 AM, Lith said:

Surprised nobody started a countdown thread yet, but we are now 50 days from opening the season in SF on Monday Night Football.  50 is a tough day to start the countdown. Not many players of note who wore #50, at least not players note for a good reason. 

We did have a couple of draft busts who wore #50: a tiny linebacker and a workout warrior.  Nope not starting this years draft thread with either of those guys.  Bad karma.

We had another #50 who was a pretty good player for several seasons, but he also took one of the worst roughing the passer plays in Jet history.  He was was let off the hook when a rookie kicker for the Chargers missed a game winner in OT.  Nope. Not going to start the thread with him

The honor of the first entry in this year's countdown goes to #50 from the 1968 Super Bowl Champion NY Jets.  

Image Gallery of Gerry Philbin | NFL Past Players

DT Carl McAdams.  

Didn't you like Bob Crable?  I don't keep track of player numbers so I have no clue who you're referring to with your comments. Who was the tiny LB?  Was that Glenn Cadrez?  Was the workout warrior the bust from Ohio St.? (I've got a block on his name).

Great thread by the way.  Someone used to start this on another Jets site where I post, but it hasn't happened yet this year, and I don't think it happened last year.

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2024 at 5:28 PM, Lith said:

Thats who I would have gone with today if work had not gotten in the way.  It really was either him or Lamont Jordan.  Or I could have gone with Lee White, who fumbled in a pre-season game against the Lions around 1970.  Recovered by a Lions LB and Namath tore up his knee trying to make a tackle.  In a preseason game.  

I loved Johnny Hector and Freeman McNeil.  What a duo at RB!

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, JKlecko said:

Didn't you like Bob Crable?  I don't keep track of player numbers so I have no clue who you're referring to with your comments. Who was the tiny LB?  Was that Glenn Cadrez?  Was the workout warrior the bust from Ohio St.? (I've got a block on his name).

Great thread by the way.  Someone used to start this on another Jets site where I post, but it hasn't happened yet this year, and I don't think it happened last year.

Nothing against Crable, I just went in a different direction.  Carl McAdams was the guy I posted.  Defensive lineman from the Super Bowl team.

Tiny LB was Darron Lee's nickname on this site back in 2016.  The workout warrior from Ohio State was Vernon Gholston.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Lith said:

I will never forget that early flag and the rest of that first drive.  Steelers physically beat us up.  Which I didn't think would happen.  What a rough night.  Worst part was the shuttle bus ride back to the Hotel after the loss.  Me and my son wearing green on a bus full of Steeler fans.  And they weren't loud or rowdy.  No excitement in the air.  It was quiet.  Just another win.  And another trip to the Super Bowl.  They were used to it. 

I just can't imagine what a busload of Jet fans would be like after a win in the AFCCG.

I just hope that you and I and our family and the rest of JetNation can find out together what it would be like.00’🙏🙏🙏

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Nothing against Crable, I just went in a different direction.  Carl McAdams was the guy I posted.  Defensive lineman from the Super Bowl team.

Tiny LB was Darron Lee's nickname on this site back in 2016.  The workout warrior from Ohio State was Vernon Gholston.

Yes, I remember McAdams.  

Good call on not putting Lee or Gholston (thanks, he was such a bust, that I've tried to forget that he was ever a Jet).

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JKlecko said:

He was pretty good, and then played well for the team he went to after the Jets (Denver?)

Yup.  Solid player for the Broncos.

35 minutes ago, section314 said:

Good choice , was a very good and reliable player.

Yup. 

Reading up on him this AM.  He worked as a truck driver in the offseason.  Was delayed by the DOT on one trip and it caused him to be a day late to minicamp which landed him in Pete Carroll and Ron Erhardt's dog house.  Got himself cut later that offseason.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

So many good ones.  But before we get into RB territory, there was Johnny Lynn.  Lynn played both CB positions and safety in his 8 seasons on the Jets.  4th round pick in 1979. Took over the starting job in week 2 of his rookie season.  After playing career, he went on to be a defensive coach for 29 years on seven different NFL teams.

Where Are They Now: Johnnie Lynn

New York Jets player Johnny Lynn jumps in the air during a game... News  Photo - Getty Images

Good choice. Good player.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

#29  Leon Washington

One of my favorite Jets.  Loved him in the ST return role and as a 3rd down back.  A good Jet, notwithstanding his wife's negative Jets comments.

washdance.webp

FP-Leon-Washington2.jpg

Not bad compensation for Herm either.😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You’re thinking RB for #28, right?

I don’t know if I would. Reggie Cobb was washed by the time we got him.

I’d go with the more obvious player.

image.jpeg

Not counting our Super Bowl safeties, the best playmaking guy we’ve ever had.

Another one of those days without many options.  

Shonn Greene: 3-TD Day Not Enough to Earn Fantasy Football Owners' Trust |  News, Scores, Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

It was either Shonn Greene or Dick Felt who was a pro bowler for the Titans in the early 60s.  I chose Greene.  If anyone wants to post photos of Dick Felt, go ahead.

Then again, maybe that it is not such a good idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/23/2024 at 12:05 PM, Lith said:

Humphrey is a good choice.  But I gotta go with the Dawg today.  I expected a lot more out of him than we got, but still, he was the best player out of his draft class.  Which unfortunately says more about the 2016 Jets draft class than it does about Jenkins.

New York Jets linebacker Jordan Jenkins celebrates forcing and recovering a  fumble

That's the color of green that I like best for their uniforms.

• Upvote 1

• Lith featured and unfeatured this topic