Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d guess that Douglas ends up relenting and giving Reddick a two year deal for roughly the same AAV that Huff got. It’s just an odd decision to trade for a guy who was available in the first place because he wanted a new deal and then choose to play hardball with the guy because you have no cap space to deal with it

We don’t know the conversations that were had between Reddick and the Jets as they agreed to a union. Who has backed out of their “word” and what has changed. The Jets may very well have Jetted this thing up, but they hold most of the cards here. Really, not a big deal as we sit here today. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Not unless they traded a mid-round pick they don’t have to pay until two years from now, which they’d recoup in that same season.

Aiyuk is a guy you trade for and immediately turn to a new contract because he just turned 26 and further because it’d take a lot more than the value of a current-year 5th rounder to get him.

Aiyuk is doing a hold-in, btw: holding out without holding out so he can’t get fined $50K/day. He’s there and refuses to do a ****ing thing. It’s a worse situation for the team, tbh. That’s on top of having Trent Williams holding out at the same time, and both a year after they just did this dance with Bosa. It’s a worse look because the team looks like it’s being disloyal to a player who’s excelled for them. With the Jets & Reddick, it’s purely a business transaction; no emotion involved with them let alone having it fester throughout the clubouse & spread to other players. 

And guess what? It’ll all likely work out for SF, as it likely will with the Jets & Reddick. 

It’s July ffs. Panic when there’s something to panic about. 

“Panic” is extreme, imo. It’s just a curious handling of a trade for a veteran player. Aiyuk will get paid because he’s a young, elite talent who’ll provide ROI for however long his new deal runs. A little bit different scenario when a perennial Super Bowl contender runs into the problem of having to pay too many elite, young players. Presuming Douglas is able to keep his job for another two years, he’ll be in a similar situation trying to re-up Garrett Wilson, Sauce, etc. But he’s not there now. Right now he’s in the mud trying to find a way to pay Hassan Reddick, which is suboptimal. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

We don’t know the conversations that were had between Reddick and the Jets as they agreed to a union. Who has backed out of their “word” and what has changed. The Jets may very well have Jetted this thing up, but they hold most of the cards here. Really, not a big deal as we sit here today. 

Agreed, not a huge deal, really, other than a little egg on the face. As for the conversations, it seems strange that 1. Reddick is no longer an Eagle because he wanted a new deal and 2. The Jets story saying that Reddick would have settled for a one year bump seems weird because the Jets couldn’t afford that one year bump regardless. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’d guess that Douglas ends up relenting and giving Reddick a two year deal for roughly the same AAV that Huff got. It’s just an odd decision to trade for a guy who was available in the first place because he wanted a new deal and then choose to play hardball with the guy because you have no cap space to deal with it

The rumor is the jets offered him a new deal that he rejected. I presume the jets and Reddick have significantly different ideas of what a new deal looks like. Hence, the holdout. 

Either way, not much of a worst case scenario.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Do you expect him to be happy with his contract?

If Reddick wants a massive payday he needs to play and get stats this season.  Otherwise next offseason he’s a 30 year old guy going to his 5th team in 5 years who has no stats from the 2024 season to be evaluated on

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The rumor is the jets offered him a new deal that he rejected. I presume the jets and Reddick have significantly different ideas of what a new deal looks like. Hence, the holdout. 

Either way, not much of a worst case scenario.

Isn’t the rumor that Douglas was going to guarantee half of the deal and tack on some incentives? Why would Reddick agree to that? 

• Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

They are viewed as one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl. USA Today predicts that they will win it.

Do you think that happened by accident?

Do you know how dumb you sound right now?

Not anywhere close to as dumb as your profile name lol. Aaron Rodgers is why we are in a position to do well. Without Aaron, team probably misses the playoffs just like every other yr. You have to be a complete idiot to believe JD is the magically reason why jets were able to acquire Aaron Rodgers. His own team wanted him out, most teams didn’t even want to consider it. JD had to get on his knees and promise it would Aaron’s show , not his or Saleh. Only reason why Hackett was hired, lizzard signed, etc, etc. 

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Isn’t the rumor that Douglas was going to guarantee half of the deal and tack on some incentives? Why would Reddick agree to that? 

I hadn’t even heard the specifics - I just saw a report that the jets offered him something right off the bat and he declined 

it would depend on the incentives to an extent but I don’t disagree with you from Reddick’s perspective 

But I also would totally understand why the jets would play a little hardball. They have plenty of leverage. They gave up a 3rd two years from now for a guy who will either get another big contract now or will need to have another good season to get the next bag.  

Meanwhile, the jets look like dummies  because the guy they just traded for isn’t playing. 

The secret truth is that the jets and Reddick kinda need each other, unless he’s getting traded 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

According to you on this site, it was Woody Johnson. Uncle, JetBlue type of thing. But you conspire so much here without basis of reality or common sense, it is hard to keep up. 

The Jets decision making defies any sort of common sense. Starting Wilson for 3 years for example, illustrates that. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The Jets decision making defies any sort of common sense. Starting Wilson for 3 years for example, illustrates that. 

Zach Wilson wasn’t supposed to play at all last yr. The boy genius Joe Douglas, somehow thought he could put Zach at #2 just for a closer view to watch Aaron, yet became the first gm in history to state the primary backup will be in a reset “ redshirt “ year and won’t even have to think about playing. Because qbs at 40 do not get hurt, especially behind a weak protecting OL 🙈

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Zach Wilson wasn’t supposed to play at all last yr. The boy genius Joe Douglas, somehow thought he could put Zach at #2 just for a closer view to watch Aaron, yet became the first gm in history to state the primary backup will be in a reset “ redshirt “ year and won’t even have to think about playing. Because qbs at 40 do not get hurt, especially behind a weak protecting OL 🙈

Again, this is the Jets. Only in Jets land does redshirt year mean backup and dressing every week.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The question I was answering directly was your question of "Who was behind the Zach Wilson decision the last 3 years?".

I took the direct tact of answering based upon YOUR very own rants on this board to that question. You know, an X Files kind of postulating that you continued to spew and spew here. To the point of mocking others if they did not buy into your far flung suggestion of assertion.

Again, I will remind you of your constant haranguing: Your assertion was that it was Woody Johnson that was behind the Zach Wilson existence on the roster of the New York Jets. You know, because of some uncle relative and a JetBlue association. 

Do you now deny this assertion that you brow beat this board with? Or, are you just fitting another narrative you have and twisting the facts to support a new rant and its "in your own mind" twist? I suggest the latter based upon your history.

Listen, there are many easy marks to hit the NYJ with that trend toward incompetency. You do not need to make things up. The facts are much stranger than even your own fiction you make up here. You are just trying too hard.

I’ve waited to speak on this

1. Why trade for a VETERAN who is being vastly under paid and then think 🤔 he will be happy?

2.  Why trade for another person’s long term problem when you don’t have a long term solution?

3.  Why blame the player when you KNEW that the player has been abused all this time by other teams making him play on essentially “prove” it deals only to let him go when he performs?

No it isn’t a matter of hard ball or not- you can’t be this stupid as an organization- you just cant…

I guess we moved on from the D-Russ gossip column podcast where Rodgers missing 3 hours of practice in shorts in June, made him a big meanie who doesnt care about Football, despite everything we've seen from him and now we are focusing our energy on another non-issue that nobody will care about when Reddick strips sacks Purdy week 1 to secure an opening day road victory?

Good times at JN these days, good times! 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The question I was answering directly was your question of "Who was behind the Zach Wilson decision the last 3 years?".

I took the direct tact of answering based upon YOUR very own rants on this board to that question. You know, an X Files kind of postulating that you continued to spew and spew here. To the point of mocking others if they did not buy into your far flung suggestion of assertion.

Again, I will remind you of your constant haranguing: Your assertion was that it was Woody Johnson that was behind the Zach Wilson existence on the roster of the New York Jets. You know, because of some uncle relative and a JetBlue association. 

Do you now deny this assertion that you brow beat this board with? Or, are you just fitting another narrative you have and twisting the facts to support a new rant and its "in your own mind" twist? I suggest the latter based upon your history.

Listen, there are many easy marks to hit the NYJ with that trend toward incompetency. You do not need to make things up. The facts are much stranger than even your own fiction you make up here. You are just trying too hard.

You don’t think Woody was involved in the Zach Wilson fiasco?

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

1. Why trade for a VETERAN who is being vastly under paid and then think 🤔 he will be happy?

2.  Why trade for another person’s long term problem when you don’t have a long term solution?

3.  Why blame the player when you KNEW that the player has been abused all this time by other teams making him play on essentially “prove” it deals only to let him go when he performs?

No it isn’t a matter of hard ball or not- you can’t be this stupid as an organization- you just cant…

1. Reddick signed his own deal on his own terms. He was the first DE lineman signed in Free Agency during 2022. No one twisted his arm to sign that deal.

2. Players are traded on the last year of a deal all the time. It is an NFL GM strategy. Not unusual positioning by either the seller or the buyer. 

3. A player playing out his contract that he negotiated is abuse? Not sue where that comes from. How about living up to a deal that you signed in good faith?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Matt39 said:

I can only point out your waffling so many times here. On this very page, YOU asked who was responsible for Zach on this roster the last 3 years. You intonation, based on this thread was that it was Joe Douglas (you know, the subject of your lather at this time?).

I politely pointed out to you, that it was Woody, based upon your very own venom previously.

You are mixing your conspiracies, and together they do not add up. Thanks, Matt.

7 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I can only point out your waffling so many times here. On this very page, YOU asked who was responsible for Zach on this roster the last 3 years. You intonation, based on this thread was that it was Joe Douglas (you know, the subject of your lather at this time?).

I politely pointed out to you, that it was Woody, based upon your very own venom previously.

You are mixing your conspiracies, and together they do not add up. Thanks, Matt.

I’m not concerned about being called a conspiracy theorist or whatever. Will never bother me. 

The Woody/Wilson stuff is all out there via google at your disposal. Douglas’s decisions in the draft and his record have all been poor. You can chop this up any way you want, but this franchise hasn’t made the playoffs in 14 years. No conspiracies needed to takeaway that the Jets decision making processes have been bad. The Reddick situation, a holdout by a player who’s never played a down for the team, only seems to happen to the Jets. 

23 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Doubt we will ever really know. Woody is not the brightest owner, and we know how much of a pushover Joe Douglas is. Woody did say before we traded Zach “ we didn’t have a #2 qb last yr “ or something of that sort. Direct shot at Zach, which would make sense to the nonsense JD was stating when he basically declared zach is going to be a redshirt qb, which usually implies he’s the 3. So we had two number 3’s, and no number 2 according to both owner and gm lol. 

I also doubt woody made JD sign Tim Boyle as the #3. This was obviously done as another appeasement for Rodgers. Hackett, lizzard, Cobb. But in a way it served another purpose. They had to try very hard to find a #3 who was so bad that they couldn’t pass Zach on the depth chart. Lot of teams EASILY had a better #3 than Zach Wilson. Now all of a sudden we go from the worst backups in the NFL, to going after the top FA backup qb on the market ha. At least learning from past mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Doubt we will ever really know. Woody is not the brightest owner, and we know how much of a pushover Joe Douglas is. Woody did say before we traded Zach “ we didn’t have a #2 qb last yr “ or something of that sort. Direct shot at Zach, which would make sense to the nonsense JD was stating when he basically declared zach is going to be a redshirt qb, which usually implies he’s the 3. So we had two number 3’s, and no number 2 according to both owner and gm lol. 

I also doubt woody made JD sign Tim Boyle as the #3. This was obviously done as another appeasement for Rodgers. Hackett, lizzard, Cobb. But in a way it served another purpose. They had to try very hard to find a #3 who was so bad that they couldn’t pass Zach on the depth chart. Lot of teams EASILY had a better #3 than Zach Wilson. Now all of a sudden we go from the worst backups in the NFL, to going after the top FA backup qb on the market ha. At least learning from past mistakes. 

The Jets purposely stacked the deck for Wilson to be the #2 which he never earned either. Boyle and then Siemien. Two guys who are 4th string players. Zach conveniently wasn’t asked to make any real throws last preseason either, as the plan was to hide him to avoid any questions. 

Hes currently on the outside looking in in Denver- behind Jarrett Stidham. Perhaps the Jets really can’t evaluate players, but he had no business being a backup either. It doesn’t take Oliver Stone to see the whole thing never passed the smell test.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

1) He should be paid as a starter.  He is a legitimate impact player in his prime.   We'll see how it all plays out but my guess is Huff will be more productive over the next three years than Reddick is.

2) I worry about his age.  30 year old speed rushers are like RB's.  That's about the age when they're done.   Signing him to a longer contract would be an even bigger mistake.

3) I have no idea what this means.  But this is a Jets chat board and we're hear to do just that.  I don't think anyone is trying to solve the world's problem here.  

Having a conversation about the Jets choice to trade for Reddick while also letting Huff walk is a very reasonable conversation for this forum and probably one of the better off-season discussions this board has had.

I don't know how to paste multiple things like you did (I need help!), so I did 1-2-3.

1) This is where we part ways.  He is a part-time player.  He is a liability against the run, and I am not a fan of players who, during their contract year, puts up better numbers than the rest of their years.  It wreaks of Wilkerson to me.  I think Philly got fleeced.  Time will tell.

2) Over thirty isn't the problem it used to be.  There have been lots of examples of good ones.  Von Miller, Demarcus Lawrence, Justin Houston, Khalil Mack come to mind.  I am sure there are more.

3) I hear you.  Sometimes I wonder why we as fans argue so much about such nonsense.  Energies could be better spent improving our own world's then constant pissing contests about how every little thing JD (and MM before him) is wrong.  Again, mine to own, and silly to feel that way on a fan site.  You are right. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

1) This is where we part ways.  He is a part-time player.  He is a liability against the run, and I am not a fan of players who, during their contract year, puts up better numbers than the rest of their years.  It wreaks of Wilkerson to me.  I think Philly got fleeced.  Time will tell.

Reddick had an average year last year with 11 sacks, 13 Tackles for a loss and 23 QB hits.  He was a beast in 2022 with 16 sacks along with 5 forced fumbles.  

The Jets don't have an every down lineman on Defense.  Everyone is rotational.  He's a great fit and he's production as an edge rusher is extremely valuable.  Not sure what a part time player is on the NY Jets.   The NFL is a passing league.  A situational pass rusher should be on the field more than a run stopper.  

The pass/run ratio in the NFL is now roughly 55 pass to 45 run.  There are only a couple of teams in the league that run more than pass and that ratio is higher on SB winning teams in the last few years.  

30 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Who said he owed me anything Canada?

Well, the amount you keep going on about JD's incompetencies and the comment on how he is free to explain the moves he does but chooses not to?  Maybe I read the room wrong.  

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Reddick had an average year last year with 11 sacks, 13 Tackles for a loss and 23 QB hits.  He was a beast in 2022 with 16 sacks along with 5 forced fumbles.  

The Jets don't have an every down lineman on Defense.  Everyone is rotational.  He's a great fit and he's production as an edge rusher is extremely valuable.  Not sure what a part time player is on the NY Jets.   The NFL is a passing league.  A situational pass rusher should be on the field more than a run stopper.  

The pass/run ratio in the NFL is now roughly 55 pass to 45 run.  There are only a couple of teams in the league that run more than pass and that ratio is higher on SB winning teams in the last few years.  

Sorry, I was talking about Huff.  He was used strictly as a pass rusher, and is a liability against the run.    

4 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sorry, I was talking about Huff.  He was used strictly as a pass rusher, and is a liability against the run.    

It applies to both Huff and Reddick.  The Jets D is all about keeping guys rested to apply pressure because teams are passing more and moving the ball down the field with the pass.   Our best Defender is a DT who besides providing inside pressure keeps the inside LB's clean to stop the run.  

This liability in the run game for an outside pass rusher is an overblown excuse to devalue guys who can actually put pressure on the QB.

Philadelphia got Huff for a much lower cap hit on a yearly basis than they would have had to keep Reddick.  That's why they made the deal. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Well, the amount you keep going on about JD's incompetencies and the comment on how he is free to explain the moves he does but chooses not to?  Maybe I read the room wrong.  

I mean when you trade for a player and then he doesn’t show up, you might want to explain what exactly happened there. 

On 7/24/2024 at 9:18 AM, #27TheDominator said:

My wack job conspiracy theory on this is signing Becton.  You never know how the comp picks shake out and if the Jets are going to get one, Becton will fit in the formula.  The Eagles signed him on literally like the last day where he would qualify.  Why would they do that?  They don't really give a sh*t because they signed more than they lost, but they certainly didn't gain anything not waiting a day or two. 

You actually debunked your own conspiracy theory.  PHI benefits from signing him in the prior year because they weren't going to qualify for comp picks anyway.  Better to have him done then rather than let him bleed over into the following year when he could very well cost them a comp pick.

Sometimes black helicopters are just black helicopters :)

46 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Reddick has also had more Forced fumbles (14) in the last 4 years than any DE/OLB in the NFL.

That's a very important stat/fact that shouldn't be overlooked.

Forced fumbles - which often result in turnovers, can completely swing momentum & change the outcome of games.

Yes, he only had 1 FF last season - but I'd expect that number to go up this year.

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

3. A player playing out his contract that he negotiated is abuse? Not sue where that comes from. How about living up to a deal that you signed in good faith?

NFL contracts aren't guaranteed except for the guaranteed part.  Everyone knows the non-guaranteed part is renegiotated or the player is cut or traded.  Tell me how many NFL contracts are honered by both sides until the contract ends organically?

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

Why it’s so important in the NFL to have an experienced proven capable gm. It never made sense from the beginning. The eagles went harder after huff than the jets, even when they still had Red dick. Many said Huff the lesser of the two, even if just slightly. So why dump guy in his prime for less established player ? Not just to get a 3rd or possible 2nd round pick. That was just the added Bonus fleece eagles pulled on JD. 

• Post of the Week 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade