Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

55 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean, I think we know that's exactly what we have in Woody, lol.  You don't have a 14-year playoff drought in a league driven by parity by accident.

The Wilpons were charlatans, they had no money to speak of. They were robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Woody has been inept in running a competent franchise. In about 25 years, this is the best roster he has produced.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

If you're that confident in what the odds-makers are saying, go to Vegas and place your bet.

Who says I haven't?

Again, I'm not saying the Jets are going to win the Super Bowl. All I'm saying is that the have assembled a very good roster that is certainly talented enough to make the playoffs barring catastrophic injuries.

23 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

Awesome and the rosster is even better this year. So no argument, right?

Yes. They certainly appear to be one of the teams that can contend this year, just like last year.
I’m not so sure about the roster being better this year however.
The DL isn’t as good, Rodgers is a year older and coming off the Achilles injury. The OL will be better if it remains intact but look at the history of those guys and you have to question if they can/will. Our #2 WR is coming off a knee injury and we don’t know when he’ll be 100% either.

That said, there are a lot of young talented players here. If Rodgers has enough in the tank to be a top 10-12 NFL QB and we get lucky health wise, it should be a fun season to watch unfold.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Yes. They certainly appear to be one of the teams that can contend this year, just like last year.
I’m not so sure about the roster being better this year however.
The DL isn’t as good, Rodgers is a year older and coming off the Achilles injury. The OL will be better if it remains intact but look at the history of those guys and you have to question if they can/will. Our #2 WR is coming off a knee injury and we don’t know when he’ll be 100% either.

That said, there are a lot of young talented players here. If Rodgers has enough in the tank to be a top 10-12 NFL QB and we get lucky health wise, it should be a fun season to watch unfold.

You aren't sure? 🤣

Rodgers didn't even play last year so anything out of him will be better.

Even if the OL has a few injuries it will be better than what he had last year. For once we actually have some depth.

And a rehabbing Mike Williams is better than last year's Lazard/Gipson.

I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face that this year's roster isn't better than last year's. The QB room alone is a ton better with Siemian, Wilson and Boyle gone. I know I painted you into a corner with my reply to your declaration that last year we had a playoff caliber roster. Take the L instead of trying to backtrack by saying last year's roster is better than this year's. Horrendous take 😅

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

You aren't sure? 🤣

Rodgers didn't even play last year so anything out of him will be better.

Even if the OL has a few injuries it will be better than what he had last year. For once we actually have some depth.

And a rehabbing Mike Williams is better than last year's Lazard/Gipson.

I'm not sure how you can say with a straight face that this year's roster isn't better than last year's. The QB room alone is a ton better with Siemian, Wilson and Boyle gone. I know I painted you into a corner with my reply to your declaration that last year we had a playoff caliber roster. Take the L instead of trying to backtrack by saying last year's roster is better than this year's. Horrendous take 😅

I enjoy talking with you, but you have an extremely unfounded appreciation of your debate skills Bickety.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I enjoy talking with you, but you have a strangely unfounded appreciation of your debate skills Bickety.

That really wasn't a debate. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that  thinks last year's roster was better than this year's. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

That really wasn't a debate. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone that  thinks last year's roster was better than this year's. 

Your takes always lean towards a homer view, so I’ll always tend to take them with a grain of salt.

I explained my reasoning, you never did. (Unless bluster and  waving pom poms count) so yeah, it wasn’t much of a debate. Yet somehow you think you walked off with a W.

That’s adorable, and it’s why I like you. 👍

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Your takes always lean towards a homer view, so I’ll always tend to take them with a grain of salt.

I explained my reasoning, you never did. (Unless bluster and  waving pom poms count) so yeah, it wasn’t much of a debate. Yet somehow you think you walked off with a W.

Just to be clear, you stated that last year's roster was playoff caliber and this year's roster is not as good. Riiiight. You got me! 🤣

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

QB - light years better

RB - much better

WR - much better

OL - (health sustained) substantially better

TE - Same, but improved simply because of Rodgers

CB - Same

S - Same

LB - Slight improvement (Sherwood showing improvement)

Edge - Probably same, but to be seen (with Riddick, better)

DL - About the same

K/P - Same

Specials - Same

We had a third ranked defense last year. I'll run with that for this year. Offense is much better pretty much across the board. From bottom feeder to at least a middling to above average group. That's a major jump.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

It's a fair question and a tough one.  But ultimately, the Jets did not make the rules.  The league did.  He's seen two teams hesitant to give him the contract he wants.  I'll admit I would have expected a bigger market for him and was surprised we got him as cheap as we did but it is what it is.  I wonder if this has his agent worried that the BIG FA deal he wants next year won't materialize so they are trying to lock it in now rather than face that embarrassment.  I completely support the Jets not wanting to bid against themselves locking him up to a monster deal when they (or some other team) would sign him cheaper next year. 

FWIW we are handcuffed by $50M in dead money this season.  As a result, we are tight now ($19M) but have the 6th highest cap room next season, of which we will need every penny.  I'm guessing that they always and only viewed this as a one-year deal to maximize their chances, or at most extend him one more year.  But they can only really bump him to about $18M without redoing other contracts and with that much dead money, there isn't really a lot more they can do.

So yes, perhaps there were some flawed assumptions made by the Jets, but plenty of guys have bet on themselves in their contract year so it's not like this is normal.  Somewhere along the way, it feels like Reddick's position changed.  If they end up having to trade his rights, got out of the pick owed to PHI, and got something more for it (maybe a 2025 3rd), it will end up a free draft pick which ultimately isn't the worst thing to ever happen.

I understand what you are saying but my question is

1) in the last Quarter of a Century what FA Superstar in the NFL has asked to be traded without coming to camp after being traded for?

Answer = I can’t think of one player of Reddicks ability who is saying this, because no team has taken the position the Jets have here.

2) Indeed, no one knows precisely what Reddeck is asking for but based on a recent comp  a reasonable comp would be 30 year old Danielle Hunter who this offseason signed a 2 year $49 Million Dollar contract, with the Texans, with $48 Million Guaranteed.  Putting the guaranteed monies aside, you can’t say Reddeck is worth less than half of Hunter with no guarantees on the table.  Yes, we don’t know all the facts but the Jets can’t claim they didn’t know the landscape. Reddeck is a Superstar!

3) What about keeping Huff and tie him up two years ago with JFM?  Or even Clowny for a one year rental!  All of this could have been avoided!

4)  most silly—- the Jets said in their statement that they wouldn’t “cater” to any player who hasn’t “played a down for them.” What a joke!  What about Rogers!  It looks nuts to me, what have we been talking about for the last year and a half?

I hear what folks are saying but no based on point 4 alone does it make a lick of sense to me  

Finally look all of this could have been avoided that is what is so frustrating! And only the Jets!

• Upvote 3

Wtf are you talking about... How is this argument even valid in your mind.... 
Wow you will stretch to no end to exaggerate something that has nothing to do with record. Idiotic response try again. 

Your excuse to why Douglas sucks is look at Belichick which I explained why that is a bad argument (outlier, different league) and I gave you another example just as ridiculous to show you why that is.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, mfmartin said:

Your excuse to why Douglas sucks is look at Belichick which I explained why that is a bad argument (outlier, different league) and I gave you another example just as ridiculous to show you why that is.

You are too dense to realize that my whole argument was on how things take time sometimes.... Not about Belicheck... You obviously have a hard time with references... 

I gave Leon Rose as an example... And the Knicks.... Yet you skip over that because it doesn't suit your shortsighted pessimism... 

The Belicheck was another example of how things take time and even state as much in the exact same paragraph... Again which you choose to ignore... 

Then you push some crazy agenda that the NFL is different now and his record in Cleveland doesn't count... 

If you are going to argue at least have actual facts to back up your trashy trolling attempts. 

You are too dense to realize that my whole argument was on how things take time sometimes.... Not about Belicheck... You obviously have a hard time with references... 
I gave Leon Rose as an example... And the Knicks.... Yet you skip over that because it doesn't suit your shortsighted pessimism... 
The Belicheck was another example of how things take time and even state as much in the exact same paragraph... Again which you choose to ignore... 
Then you push some crazy agenda that the NFL is different now and his record in Cleveland doesn't count... 
If you are going to argue at least have actual facts to back up your trashy trolling attempts. 

The NFL is different now. Free agency wasn’t a thing when Belichick was first the GM in Cleveland. If you don’t think that’s different, I don’t know what to tell you.

Also you can’t compare the NBA with the NFL. If you don’t have a star in the nba, you are screwed. Turn arounds happen all the time in the NFL. The Texans let the owners pastor make decisions for the team for years and turned it around in essentially two offseasons.

• WTF? 1

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

The Wilpons were charlatans, they had no money to speak of. They were robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Woody has been inept in running a competent franchise. In about 25 years, this is the best roster he has produced.

If there was no salary cap, I think Woody would have some similar "cash poor" issues as the Wilpons.  He's not as wealthy as he'd like people to think he is...

Meanwhile, despite being broke, the Mets still managed to win the pennant in 2015, at least.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I was passed a pretty spicy tidbit that Douglas (and Saleh) fully intended to re-do Reddick’s deal but Woody put the kibosh on it because he doesn’t want any more dead money on his hands moving forward. Says a lot about what he thinks of Douglas’ future prospects as a Jets employee.

Connor Rodgers basically alluded to this. Keep an eye on the business side/Woody for why this is going haywire. Perhaps Douglas got mixed messaging from Woody etc on what they can give out. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

4 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

Rodgers is the only MVP QB in the division, best QB in division until proven otherwise. 

NFL rosters and records change massively from year to year. Arbitrarily basing everything around last years results is absurd. 

And what did Rodgers do last year @BreeceHallofFame??

He's going to be 41 yrs old here very shortly and to assume he's going to hold up to a 17 game season 1 year removed from a season ending Achilles injury is an assumption I'm not willing to make.

If he pulls it off, that would be great, we'll have a very good season.

Is that a slam dunk?

Absolutely not.

As snake bitten as this franchise is - I assume nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

4 hours ago, bicketybam said:

This year's roster is so much better than last year's and it's not even close. And last season got derailed by a season ending injury to the starting QB. Not many NFL teams can survive the loss of their starting QB 4 plays into the first game.

I admire your optimism & I agree this year's roster is better than last years.

But I make no assumptions with this team - Vegas odds & PFF roster rankings be damned.

The Jets still have to prove their metal on the field.

Let's see how the 2024 season unfolds.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

5 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Talk about moving the goal posts.

The Jets have a roster that is talented enough to make the playoffs. Call that what you will. You can be pessimistic or whatever but the team as constructed should be good enough to make the playoffs. 

That's an assumption on your part.

You think the NFL is just going to give the Jets 10 or 11 wins because their roster looks so good??

They had a chance to prove themselves last year and Aaron Rodgers couldn't make it past week one, largely due to an under-performing O-Line.

You can chant how good you think our roster is, until the cows come home - is that going to wins games for the Jets??

Of course not.

The Jets have to go out there & prove how good they are, on the field during the regular season, that's all there is to it.

I'm sorry if that reality is troubling for you.

Could the Jets make the playoffs?

Yes.

Is it a slam dunk because our roster looks so good?

Absolutely not.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

11 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

That's an assumption on your part.

You think the NFL is just going to give the Jets 10 or 11 wins because their roster looks so good??

The Jets have to go out there & prove how good they are, on the field during the regular season, that's all there is to it.

You can chant how good you think our roster is, until the cows come home - is that going to wins games for the Jets??

Of course not.

Same for every team.  They all have to play the games. But I'd rather have the Jets roster than at least 22 other teams and usually that's not the case. Their roster is a good starting point for the season. I'm happy they are starting their journey with this roster as opposed to the Buccaneers' who made the playoffs last season. 

7 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Says the guy who thinks PFF roster rankings equate to a play-off berth. 🙄

Having a good roster definitely correlates with much improved odds of a playoff berth. It's very hard to make the playoffs with a sh*tty roster, no? It's a step towards the final goal. I get it. You've been hurt 💔 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If there was no salary cap, I think Woody would have some similar "cash poor" issues as the Wilpons.  He's not as wealthy as he'd like people to think he is...

Meanwhile, despite being broke, the Mets still managed to win the pennant in 2015, at least.  

Because Alderson was forced on them by MLB. It took the Mets 5 years to rebuild. 
As for Woody, you could be right.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Having a good roster definitely correlates with much improved odds of a playoff berth. It's very hard to make the playoffs with a sh*tty roster, no? It's a step towards the final goal. I get it. You've been hurt 💔 

Odds don't mean sh!t unless you like to gamble, & that's where influence of odds begins & ends.

If the teams peforms well, they'll make the playoffs, regardless of what the odds are or what the odds-makers say.

"Hurt" is definitely over-stating it chief.

Disappointed, yes absolutely - many times over.

Anybody whose been a fan of this team, for any real length of time, has experienced more than their fair share of let-downs, over the last 5 decades.

A 14 year playoff drought (the longest such streak in all of professional sports) & 55 years since our last (& only) Superbowl, speaks for itself.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Playoff roster does not mean that they are guaranteed playoffs.... It means they have the talent to make it there.... Your argument has no basis. 

Assuming you have the talent to make it to the playoffs (a playoff roster as you put it) and actually making it to the playoffs, are 2 entirely different things chief.

First off, the statement you & others keep chirping about (The Jets have a play-off roster or a playoff caliber roster - whichever you prefer) is nothing more than an assumption, guys like you are making,

Assumptions are not factual - you get that right?

It's an assumption, nothing more, until we actually make it to the playoffs, which is why I despise the terms, playoff roster & playoff caliber roster, as it specifically pertians to the Jets - a team currently riding a 14 year playoff drought.

Many folks here like @bicketybam & yourself, are struggling to grasp this fact - unfortunately, that doesn't make it any less true.

You can't sit here and name the players we have and compare our roster, to other teams rosters until you're blue in the face, just because we have a talented roster (which we definitely do) doesn't make it a playoff roster, UNTIL we actually make it to the playoffs.

If you want to state that the Jets have a "very talented roster" I'm with you all day long.

We don't have a play-off roster, until this team proves it can actually dominate during the regular season and actually makes it to the playoffs. If you want to say we have a playoff roster when we're actually in the playoffs, I'd agree with you 100% - but not until that point.

I can't state it any clearer than that for you, so from here on out, you can keep chirping away & waving your pom-poms,

I digress.....

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2

40 minutes ago, ARodJetsFan said:

Assuming you have the talent to make it to the playoffs (a playoff roster as you put it) and actually making it to the playoffs, are 2 entirely different things chief.

First off, the statement you & others keep chirping about (The Jets have a play-off roster or a playoff caliber roster - whichever you prefer) is nothing more than an assumption, guys like you are making,

It's an assumption, nothing more, until we actually make it to the playoffs, which is why I despise the terms, playoff roster & playoff caliber roster, as it specifically pertians to the Jets - a team currently riding a 14 year playoff drought.

Many folks here like @bicketybam & yourself, are struggling to grasp this fact - unfortunately, that doesn't make it any less true.

You can't sit here and name the players we have and compare our roster, to other teams rosters until you're blue in the face, just because we have a talented roster (which we definitely do) doesn't make it a playoff roster, UNTIL we actually make it to the playoffs.

If you want to state that the Jets have a "very talented roster" I'm with you all day long.

We don't have a play-off roster, until this team proves it can actually dominate during the regular season and actually makes it to the playoffs. If you want to say we have a playoff roster when we're actually in the playoffs, I'd agree with you 100% - but not until that point.

I can't state it any clearer than that for you, so from here on out, you can keep chirping away & waving your pom-poms,

I digress.....

Sleep Yawn GIF

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

I digress.....

Having the talent to make it to the playoffs and beyond is the definition of playoff roster.... I am sorry that you disagree

On 8/13/2024 at 2:07 PM, ARodJetsFan said:

Buddy, you don't read very well.

Teams with rosters that have actually made it to the playoffs, have playoff rosters.

To simplify this even more for you, I'll break it down even further.

Every team has departures & acquisitions every off-season.

However, if a team made it to the playoffs last season and the core of that roster is still in tact, that's a playoff roster in my opinion.

But stating that a team has a  play-off caliber roster, that hasn't been to the playoffs in 14 seasons, has no merit.

They have to prove that they can get to the post season, and they can only do that on the field, by winning regular season games.

It's pretty amazing to me, that you're actually struggling with the concept.

Horrible take

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Ugh 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

So because the rams and lions 2 years ago didn't make the playoffs.... They were not playoff caliber teams last year.... Got it... Your logic makes perfect sense... Tell me more @ARodJetsFan

@The Voice of Reason

We've beaten this dead horse enough, it's nothing but ground-up dog food now.

I've stated my opinion quite clearly, on the difference between a "talented" roster and a "playoff" roster - you don't agree with it, which is perfectly fine.

There's no spin, angle, or twist that you can come up with, that's going to change that.

Let's move on, shall we?

• More Ugh 1