Dolphins: Harrington picks Miami

Smizzy

Dolphins: Harrington picks Miami

April 19, 2006 8:32 PM ET

The News

Quarterback Joey Harrington informed the Lions on Wednesday he wants to be traded to the Dolphins, ESPN reported. "I look forward to joining the Miami Dolphins whenever I am released or a trade is completed," Harrington said in a statement.

Our View

Harrington negotiated a two-year contract last week with the Dolphins, who have offered a 2007 sixth-round pick in exchange for his services. Lions president Matt Millen could refuse the offer, but he runs the risk of getting nothing in return for Harrington, who will be released before his $4 million roster bonus kicks in June 15.

:Typotux:

I remember a QB in the 70's that was in the same situation as Harrington.

He ended up with a couple of Super Bowl rings with a change of scenery.;)

Who's that TX?

And, am I the only person that doesn't know who you're talking about?

Who's that TX?

And, am I the only person that doesn't know who you're talking about?

Jim Plunkett - New England drafted him like first in the country & he sucked horribly, & in his 5th season was benched in favor of a 5th round rookie. Then went to SF for two uneventful years, then another sitting on his couch at home. Oakland picked him up as a backup to Ken Stabler's in '79. He took the starting job the next year after Stabler went to Houston & the Raiders won the superbowl in 1980. Won it again in '82.

If Joey Starts it could be Scarey for us guys in the AFC, remember when they used to call him the come back kid like montana,If he plays like he did when he was first drafted.he could be dangerous or if he plays like he did the last couple of years(stinkin it up) ,then we might have a chance to sniff the playoffs (wishful thinking) :rolleyes: But anyway, the dolfags still BLOW every year. joey or daunte won't change that trust me!

If Joey Starts it could be Scarey for us guys in the AFC, remember when they used to call him the come back kid like montana,If he plays like he did when he was first drafted.he could be dangerous or if he plays like he did the last couple of years(stinkin it up) ,then we might have a chance to sniff the playoffs (wishful thinking) :rolleyes: But anyway, the dolfags still BLOW every year. joey or daunte won't change that trust me!

if SABAN can make ferrote(sp) into a decent qb im sure he can help joey..

I also think that Harrington will do well in Miami under Saban.

I think he'll do better in Miami then Detroit. Look at all the talent the Lions have yet they can't get out of last place. It's not the talent, it's the philosophy the people in charge and coaching. Sabans philosphy is to have as much balance as possible, on both sides of the ball so the games won't all be on Harringtons shoulders. That in itself should help Harringtons numbers. He doesn't have to be great, he just has to be decent. I think he has that in him.

I think he'll do better in Miami then Detroit. Look at all the talent the Lions have yet they can't get out of last place. It's not the talent, it's the philosophy the people in charge and coaching. Sabans philosphy is to have as much balance as possible, on both sides of the ball so the games won't all be on Harringtons shoulders. That in itself should help Harringtons numbers. He doesn't have to be great, he just has to be decent. I think he has that in him.

Pain,

What happens if Culpepper comes back 100% and Harrington wins the starting job?:eek:

Good move on both Joey's and Miami's part

When is the new Dolphin's philosophy going to catch up with it?I mean they have been a "win now" team for a few years and haven't yet.How long can a team survive by playing with a half deck of draft picks for so long?

Pain,

What happens if Culpepper comes back 100% and Harrington wins the starting job?:eek:

I seriously doubt that would happen, but to have two QB's with potential is a lot better then Gus, Jay and AJ as the starters. The two things Miami hasn't had since Marino retired is a QB and HC. We have had a running game WR's,TE's and a top 5 D, just no QB or coach. It's nice to have a multi Probowl QB and a coach that undestands winning again. I don't think there is anyone who believes Daunte won't return to his probowl form in Miami or that Saban doesn't have this team heading in the right direction.

I just think there are people that don't want Miami to succeed and they post their opinions as if they are a forgone conclusion, so they can sleep at night. The bottom line is the Fins are a whole lot better team then they were just two years ago and it's not just in talent. Harrington obviously isn't Brady or Manning, but he has better ability's then either Jay,Gus,AJ or Sage. Therefore he's an upgrade to the Fins QB depth and after all isn't that part of building a winning organization.

ya know having lived in south Florida for 20 years there's another element that nobody feel comfortable in talking about but I will;

There are a LOT of beer drinking rednecks down here who will love Dante but will have a much shorter tolerance if and when Culpepper starts making boneheaded calls.Yea the black QB's aren't as smart thing...watch.I'm not judging-I'm just saying...

Amazing how much difference a year makes.

A year ago we had Chad and Jay and thought that was a good combo to take us into the season. Dolphins had nobody and doodoo and were worried.

Of course, our QBs get hurt and our season goes into the ****ter.

Now, the Dolphins have two big upgrades and the Jets basically have a downgrade (hurt Chad and Jay > Patrick).

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

BZ

good couple of posts there mr. feel the pain. it must be lonely being you. a smart,levelheaded finfan with good football knowledge who knows how to act on another board.:)

I would hate to see duante & joey dressed in teal this year.

Thanks, I try, but I'm sure you'll find some here don't share your opinion.

A year ago we had Chad and Jay and thought that was a good combo to take us into the season. Dolphins had nobody and doodoo and were worried.

Of course, our QBs get hurt and our season goes into the ****ter.

Now, the Dolphins have two big upgrades and the Jets basically have a downgrade (hurt Chad and Jay > Patrick).

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out.

BZ

Well Harrington isn't a fin yet, but I would feel better if he were. I think the Jets will turn things around quickly. I like Ramsey and I think he can win on the right team. Given your new HC and where he comes from Ramsey will benefit. I think he will enjoy the change and battle for a starting spot at the very least.

yeah To bad they won't be there!! B/C THEY SUCK EVERY YEAR!!! Ever since I moved to FL from L.I. and thats been 13 years already. DOLFAGS BLOW IN 2006 U heard it here First.

I guess this post was just to vent, because you can't be that naive.

The Fish will be the trendy superbowl pick by alot of people in the summer.

And there is good reason.

QB: Upgrade (Dante > Sage, Joey > AJ)

Coach: Upgrade (4-12 to 9-7)

RB: Upgrade (second year of a good RB)

WR: Upgrade (Chambers came out last year)

Of course, deep down in my heart of hearts I am hoping they don't, and of course there is always the aging defense with quality players who might have seen one too many years.

BZ

Thanks, I try, but I'm sure you'll find some here don't share your opinion.

most here don't even like my opinions let alone share them:)

I think wanny proved his coaching abilities once again in pittsburgh. No one more sorry to see him go than us jetfans. likeable guy though.

it'll be interesting to see how saban & mangini fare as head coaches as they are both great football minds. right now saban has much more talent to work with & he seems to have handled his 1st year pretty well. sophmore year without his key coordinater could be a tough one though.

I agree with him. Only dolphin fan who I could actually talk football with, not just argue with.

Yeah, well I really don't enjoy bickering....I'll do it if I feel a fan is just way to over the top, but it's not fun to me. I'd rather just discuss football and leave all the BS out.

Archived