our tight ends are awful

kmnj

3 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

I think you’re the one stuck in the past. Kelce is a shell of himself and only has 26 yards on the year. Only one TE broke 1000 yards in 2023. 

Kelce has checked out.  He signed 100M podcast deal and is following taylor swift around like a lapdog.  He dont need football anymore.

9 hours ago, kmnj said:

Joe whiffed on a 24 million dollar CJ

Conklin is very avg at best- 2 catches 16 YTD

This is why folks wanted Brock-it was a no brainer-jets have no viable TE and need somebody other than Wilson to catch the ball

Thanks Joe

Wrong imo.

If Aaron Rodgers doesn’t stay upright, season over.  Drafting a tackle was the right move, for this season and beyond.  Must have a franchise tackle for whatever QB comes in after AR too.  Left tackle is the 2nd most important position on a football team.  Not only that, Fashanu could play LT or RT this season if necessary.  

Conklin is pretty good actually.  AR has always been an elitist passer.  Sticks with “his” guys.  If a young kid made a mistake in Green Bay, they often wouldn’t see another target for weeks. 

Aaron will start spreading the ball around at some point. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

they're not featuring Corley like I thought they would

Lol, I’ll give you this one. It’s been disappointing to me that Corley hasn’t been involved more so far, but at this time last year I was disappointed that Tippmann hadn’t broken into the starting lineup - but he would a couple weeks later. We’ll see how things look after the 10 day lay off. My feeling is that they need to get Williams and Corley more involved. 

Our discussion about drafting Bowers wasn’t about what the team might be able to use the first couple weeks of his rookie season, it was about the smart way to build a football team thru the draft. I have absolutely no concerns about the idea of drafting a (small) TE at #10 being a poor one. Spending premium picks on non-premium positions is always a bad idea. This is one of the reasons I like Joe Douglas, he’s never done that. He went with a potential fixture at LT who’s been serving as the team’s only reserve tackle thru two games so far. I hope he’s not needed this year but, if he ever is, the value of that pick over a flanker back should immediately become apparent - even to brockheads such as yourself. 

I enjoy your act, so by all means continue on your premature victory lap, but I know -as much as I wanted a weapon in the form of a WR, myself- that the LT was the correct choice. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Lol, I’ll give you this one. It’s been disappointing to me that Corley hasn’t been involved more so far, but at this time last year I was disappointed that Tippmann hadn’t broken into the starting lineup - but he would a couple weeks later. We’ll see how things look after the 10 day lay off. My feeling is that they need to get Williams and Corley more involved. 

Our discussion about drafting Bowers wasn’t about what the team might be able to use the first couple weeks of his rookie season, it was about the smart way to build a football team thru the draft. I have absolutely no concerns about the idea of drafting a (small) TE at #10 being a poor one. Spending premium picks on non-premium positions is always a bad idea. This is one of the reasons I like Joe Douglas, he’s never done that. He went with a potential fixture at LT who’s been serving as the team’s only reserve tackle thru two games so far. I hope he’s not needed this year but, if he ever is, the value of that pick over a flanker back should immediately become apparent - even to brockheads such as yourself. 

I enjoy your act, so by all means continue on your premature victory lap, but I know -as much as I wanted a weapon in the form of a WR, myself- that the LT was the correct choice. 

Lost of words to justify being wrong and that's ok, my friend, I don't hold it against you but there is no way I'm letting this go w/ the way you've behaved and talked to me about this subject.  Not a chance.

18 minutes ago, Larz said:

Here is a weapon in the form of a WR. A big crafty WR with great hands. 

I have a very good feeling slats isnt watching or reading anything we're supplying.  He's just legit covering his eyes and plugging his ears and refusing to acknowledge that he was a weapon, not a just a small TE yada yada nonsensical babble...and weapons, help you score points and scoring points, is how you win games and that little clip you just posted...there is literally not a single player on this team other than G5 that makes those catches or run those routes.  For some reason, that doesnt matter to slats.  He doesnt like to move the ball and score points.  He likes to draft back ups that come out every year in the draft, which is super helpful for a win now team.

22 minutes ago, Larz said:

Here is a weapon in the form of a WR. A big crafty WR with great hands.

I know he’s not a true TE. You’re not gonna line him up on the line and run the ball in his direction (or maybe they’re doing that, and that’s part of the reason the raiders’ running game sucks so bad… ?). He’s not a wide out, though, he’s a bulky slot receiver. You shouldn’t draft slot receivers in the top half of the first round, either. We had that discussion last year with McDonald vs. JSN. The edge was the better value/selection then, and the LT was the better value/selection now. If I was absolutely committed to drafting a weapon for the passing game, I’d’ve gone with Brian Thomas. I had said so on draft day, and haven’t changed my mind. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

I know he’s not a true TE. You’re not gonna line him up on the line and run the ball in his direction (or maybe they’re doing that, and that’s part of the reason the raiders’ running game sucks so bad… ?). He’s not a wide out, though, he’s a bulky slot receiver. You shouldn’t draft slot receivers in the top half of the first round, either. We had that discussion last year with McDonald vs. JSN. The edge was the better value/selection then, and the LT was the better value/selection now. If I was absolutely committed to drafting a weapon for the passing game, I’d’ve gone with Brian Thomas. I had said so on draft day, and haven’t changed my mind. 

You’re blaming the rush offense on bowers ?  Cmon 

why are you bringing up other players?

Bowers is exactly what the scouts said he was.  Elite playmaker. 

2 minutes ago, Larz said:

You’re blaming the rush offense on bowers ?  Cmon 

That was a joke, but his production being a direct beneficiary of their pitiful rushing attack is not. He would not have near the same production on this team at this point in the season. Jets like their TEs and WRs to block, that’s not Bowers game. 

I continue to be grateful that JD passed on him. 🙂↕️

28 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

I have a very good feeling slats isnt watching or reading anything we're supplying.  He's just legit covering his eyes and plugging his ears and refusing to acknowledge that he was a weapon, not a just a small TE yada yada nonsensical babble...and weapons, help you score points and scoring points, is how you win games and that little clip you just posted...there is literally not a single player on this team other than G5 that makes those catches or run those routes.  For some reason, that doesnt matter to slats.  He doesnt like to move the ball and score points.  He likes to draft back ups that come out every year in the draft, which is super helpful for a win now team.

But dude bro, he caught like screen passes in college 'n stuff, sooo.....

21 minutes ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Remember way back in 2006 when the Jets drafted Brick? I believe we were in agreement back then in preferring Vernon Davis. The big difference, for me, was that Davis not only tested, but tested right thru the roof. Had Bowers tested and put some impressive athletic numbers up, I may’ve been more inclined to give him a second look, but then I go back to that 2006 draft. I’m not the biggest Brick fan here, but he was solid and only missed a single snap over the course of his career. He’s no gold jacket guy, but deserving of his place in the Jets ring of honor. Fact is, despite the career that Davis went on to have, Brick was the right choice. That’s how this one will eventually be decided, no matter how Brock looks next week. 

And yeah, I was happy with the “back up,” they drafted last year (pretty sure you were, too), and I’m happy with the one this year. Neither of the Jets tackles were full participants in training camp this year. Fashanu is a highly valuable insurance policy right now, and a future starter at a premium position. A fine use of pick #10 or 11. 

15 minutes ago, slats said:

That was a joke, but his production being a direct beneficiary of their pitiful rushing attack is not. He would not have near the same production on this team at this point in the season. Jets like their TEs and WRs to block, that’s not Bowers game. 

Your entire logic behind this is asinine but amusing, so let me ask you this....if Brock Bowers came out as a WR, would your feelings have changed regarding his draft viability for the Jets?

19 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

In order to get catches, Conklin needs targets.

He's gotten very few & I have seen times where he's been open but was not thrown to because he was probably the 3rd or 4th read on a particular play, which isn't his fault.

If Conklins gets targets, he will produce.

I was never sold on Ruckert, I'd rather see B. Bates get a shot.

Or they could call up Firsker or Kuntz.

He’s been targeted all of 4 times in 2 games.  
Is he Kelce?  Who is, he’s a serviceable TE though.  When needed

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Remember way back in 2006 when the Jets drafted Brick? I believe we were in agreement back then in preferring Vernon Davis. The big difference, for me, was that Davis not only tested, but tested right thru the roof. Had Bowers tested and put some impressive athletic numbers up, I may’ve been more inclined to give him a second look, but then I go back to that 2006 draft. I’m not the biggest Brick fan here, but he was solid and only missed a single snap over the course of his career. He’s no gold jacket guy, but deserving of his place in the Jets ring of honor. Fact is, despite the career that Davis went on to have, Brick was the right choice. That’s how this one will eventually be decided, no matter how Brock looks next week. 

And yeah, I was happy with the “back up,” they drafted last year (pretty sure you were, too), and I’m happy with the one this year. Neither of the Jets tackles were full participants in training camp this year. Fashanu is a highly valuable insurance policy right now, and a future starter at a premium position. A fine use of pick #10 or 11. 

I remember that draft very well.  I had in my signature.  DBrick is DPick.  Why?  Because the Jets didnt have a LT on the roster in 2006.  Today in 2024, the NY Jets have a HOF LT and capable backs up, so drafting another back up, wasnt necessary in the year 2024.  Olu isnt some type of special talent, cant miss, got have it prospect.  He's a guy who comes out every single year in the draft. 

Guess who doesnt come out every year in the draft?  The most accomplished "TE" in the history of the college Football.  Who if you watched college Football (which I know you dont) you'd know that Brock Bowers was a weapon, not just simply a TE and weapons, are how you win the NFL.  Vernon Davis and Bowers are not even remotely comparable collegiate players. 

FTR, testing only matters for edge and DB's.  Tests, do not matter for a player that you watched, dominate the SEC and show cased his athleticism, every single game, looking like the best player in the nation, on the best team in the nation, every Saturday..  Similar to Marvin Harrison Jr.  You know it when you see it, you dont need a stop watch to tell you who is an elite athlete when you see them running away from the best talent in the nation

43 minutes ago, slats said:

Now Bowers can’t block at all ? What exactly are you basing this on?

23 hours ago, BreeceHallofFame said:

TE is just not a premium position outside of a handful of guys. It’s week two and we are just getting into the groove of the offense. Mike Williams and Garrett need more targets before we think about involving the TEs. We also have elite pass catching RBs that take opportunities away from TEs

I agree with you about us having excellent RBs, but over the last decade, 8 out of the 10 Super Bowls all had a Pro Bowl TE on their team: Rob Gronkowski (4), Travis Kelce (3), Zach Ertz (1). When you ask people when they think of those teams who comes to mind first, TE or their RB, I think most people would say the TE on those teams.

Ideally, it would be amazing to have a Pro Bowl TE and great RBs on our team at the same time, but if we at least have one of those we are in a better position than we have been for many years.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

The Giants must be idiots for not taking Bowers either.

They're 0-2, and their TE room sucks way more than the Jets'.

Bowers is the difference maker they need 🤣

He looks good so far, but I didn't see him beating man coverage.  It's manufactured touches and finding soft spots in zones on broken / 2nd reaction plays.

Even if he turns out to Kelce, Raiders are already paying Bowers like an elite TE, whereas Kelce was a 3rd rounder making peanuts on his rookie deal.

The other thing is Rodgers historically doesn’t use the TE in the passing game.  That’s why WR was and still is a way bigger need.

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Kelce has checked out.  He signed 100M podcast deal and is following taylor swift around like a lapdog.  He dont need football anymore.

It's not that, you Captaincy-abdicating twit 😊 😅

He's freaking 35 years old in a league where pass catchers wither up and die by age 32 🤣