McDonald puts an end to Reddick

with the emergence of McDonald how can we sign Reddick to a multi year contract? 

thats what he wants right? that and a whole lot more money? but he cant be on this team next year or he would takes snaps away from Johnson or Mac. and thats not going to happen

sure we could use Reddick this year with Johnson out, but he would have to play under his current contract with no more money or years.

of course we need to see how Mac does the rest of the way. but right now he is a cheaper and younger option than Reddick who has to play next year and not just come in on passing downs.

and Mac being on that cheap rookie contract for another 3 years will come in handy when its time to pay the 2022 draft class. no need to be into Reddick for big money and multiple years when Mac is producing like this.

last night was the end of Reddick getting a new contract.

• Upvote 2

Just now, doitny said:

with the emergence of McDonald how can we sign Reddick to a multi year contract? 

thats what he wants right? that and a whole lot more money? but he cant be on this team next year or he would takes snaps away from Johnson or Mac. and thats not going to happen

sure we could use Reddick this year with Johnson out, but he would have to play under his current contract with no more money or years.

of course we need to see how Mac does the rest of the way. but right now he is a cheaper and younger option than Reddick who has to play next year and not just come in on passing downs.

and Mac being on that cheap rookie contract for another 3 years will come in handy when its time to pay the 2022 draft class. no need to be into Reddick for big money and multiple years when Mac is producing like this.

Reddick will show up in week 11 to hit six regular-season games to qualify for FA and use them to get back into shape. If we make the playoffs, that's when he'll earn his payday for 2025.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Reddick will show up in week 11 to hit six regular-season games to qualify for FA and use them to get back into shape. If we make the playoffs, that's when he'll earn his payday for 2025.

If he comes in and plays well I'm all for it.  Don't really want this to continue in to next year and of course who wouldn't want a fresh pro bowler ready to show out in the playoffs?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

If he comes in and plays well I'm all for it.  Don't really want this to continue in to next year and of course who wouldn't want a fresh pro bowler ready to show out in the playoffs?

I feel the same way. If he wants to act like a whore, we should treat him like a whore. This can be purely a business transaction and that's fine by me. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, doitny said:

#leverage 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

I agree. It would be awful to have two really good edge rushers.

he can come here this year but not next year. and thats the contract he wants for multiple years. 

unless your ok with him here next year taking snaps away from Mac or Johnson.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, doitny said:

he can come here this year but not next year. and thats the contract he wants for multiple years. 

unless your ok with him here next year taking snaps away from Mac or Johnson.

Considering both those guys are awesome and on rookie deals, yes, I am okay with all 3 of them being rostered to help this defense dominate through a very long season.

If people can be okay with FA spending on OL while drafting starters as backups on OL, then I think it’s okay to apply a similar strategy to EDGE.

QB, OT and EDGE are the difference making positions, more often than not.

• Upvote 1

If we had 0 sacks through 3 games Reddick still would not be coming here.

Joe D drew a line in the sand and hes isnt going back no matter what.

Every single GM in the league has privately sent Joe D a text saying "thanks" for doing this.  This can now be a standard that teams and gms will not be pushed around by players.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If we had 0 sacks through 3 games Reddick still would not be coming here.

Joe D drew a line in the sand and hes isnt going back no matter what.

Every single GM in the league has privately sent Joe D a text saying "thanks" for doing this.  This can now be a standard that teams and gms will not be pushed around by players.

Do you rather: 

1. Extend JJ post-injury

2. Draft an EDGE

3.  Sign another veteran

4. Reddick 3-year extension

I rather go with Reddick at this point in time, but only if the extension has clauses, etc. 

• Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

Do you rather: 

1. Extend JJ post-injury

2. Draft an EDGE

3.  Sign another veteran

Dont know.  Dont care.  This is the only season I care about.  The future can be thought about later.

This is the best season we will have since 1998.  We are going 13-4 and a div crown.

Focus on the present Bronxy.  There is no tomorrow!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Dont know.  Dont care.  This is the only season I care about.  The future can be thought about later.

This is the best season we will have since 1998.  We are going 13-4 and a div crown.

Focus on the present Bronxy.  There is no tomorrow!

Let's see how well the Jets display against the Vikings. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Do you rather: 

1. Extend JJ post-injury

2. Draft an EDGE

3.  Sign another veteran

I rather go with Reddick at this point in time, but only if the extension has clauses, etc. 

4 is the absolute worst choice, Bronxy.

9 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Do you rather: 

1. Extend JJ post-injury

2. Draft an EDGE

3.  Sign another veteran

1. next year is his 4th year. he will get his 5th year extension on May 1st. so we have all of 2025 to see if he is the real deal.

2. not in rd 1 but in the 4th rd because Saleh likes to rotate the DL.

3. not a bad idea.

4. no. that was the point of this thread. he is going to want alot of money. if Macdonald can continue to play well why waste the money and years on Reddick when we need that money for the 2022 draft class.

• Upvote 1

I see JJ and McDonald as different players.  JJ is like 260 lbs, not particularly bendy, great edge setter against the run.  Almost more like a Clowney.  Reddick and McDonald are these ultra quick 240 lb athletic guys who are agile enough to get around 300+ lb tackles.  Not sure it's easy to just lump them all into EDGE...

2 hours ago, doitny said:

Reddick was never getting a multi year contract.  If anything, he was getting incentives to this contract to make more money.

Why would you sign Reddick over JJ (pre injury), Wilson, Sauce, AVT, Breece.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

No he won't.  He has to be here before game 6 or he gets no credit for the year.  It isn't the last 6 games, it's the first 6 that he has to be here.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Do you rather: 

1. Extend JJ post-injury

2. Draft an EDGE

3.  Sign another veteran

Reddick is 30 soon.  He's an ass.  He doesn't deserve a 3-year extension.  Signing him to an extension and not JJ would send a terrible message to the rest of the Jets players that it doesn't matter if they work hard, play hard, are great citizens, they will be allowed to walk in FA and the Jets will replace them with mercenaries.

That's terrible roster building and terrible optics.  Thank God you're not the GM!

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I see JJ and McDonald as different players.  JJ is like 260 lbs, not particularly bendy, great edge setter against the run.  Almost more like a Clowney.  Reddick and McDonald are these ultra quick 240 lb athletic guys who are agile enough to get around 300+ lb tackles.  Not sure it's easy to just lump them all into EDGE...

How else would you categorize them? WR's can be possession receivers, or deep threats, or slot guys but at the end of the day they are still WR's. Same as edge players. McDonald and JJ compliment each other really well IMO.

19 minutes ago, GangGreeninBetween said:

How else would you categorize them? WR's can be possession receivers, or deep threats, or slot guys but at the end of the day they are still WR's. Same as edge players. McDonald and JJ compliment each other really well IMO.

Maybe a bad choice of words on my part.  I don't think the edges are interchangeable.  Agree they compliment each other.