QB workouts w/ Jets: Reading Between the Lines

bitonti

Young's workout - 1.5 hours of chalk talk, 1.5 hour of throwing - Schott was pretty the main guy running the workout.

Leinart's workout - 2.5 hours of chalk talk, an hour and change of throwing - tannenbaum, Mangini, Schott in attendence

Cutler's workout - 5 hours of chalk talk, an hour and change of throwing. WOODY, Tanny, Mangini and Schott in attendence

This bunch will hold their cards close, but you see where this is going. Get the sense there's something about Leinart that gives all these teams some pause, like he likes the idea of being a superstar, but is his heart in it?

The firing of Steinberg isn't that big a deal. He represents guys who invaribaly ar the top of the heap, they break out the boilerplate contract, figure out by position and draft slot whata guy is worth, and that's about it. Leinart seems to think he needs more a of showbiz-type to shake the perihperal/endorsement money.

We aren't taking a QB at 4. That's pretty much a foregone conclusion. Even if we do #4 is way too high for a guy like Cutler. Too much money invested in a player who most think is the 3rd best QB in this draft.

no, but we may trade down with oakland and still get cutler and pick up more picks

Too much money invested in a player who most think is the 3rd best QB in this draft.

people thought Farve was the 3rd best Qb in his draft.

people thought Marino was the 4th best Qb in his draft.

every team in the NFL passed on Joe Montana at least once.

every team in the NFL passed on Tom Brady at least 5 times.

what people think is meaningless.

What this proves to me is that the Jets needed to spend the most amount of time with the guy who has the most question marks (cutler). Plus they needed to bring woody to show him that this guy blames everyone from his teamates to the cook as to the reason for his failures.

Pass.

What this proves to me is that the Jets needed to spend the most amount of time with the guy who has the most question marks (cutler). Plus they needed to bring woody to show him that this guy blames everyone from his teamates to the cook as to the reason for his failures.

Pass.

So you don't like Cutler? lol. ;)

You could listen to 10 different 'experts' and hear 10 different theories. It's all so fascinating.

So you don't like Cutler? lol. ;)

You could listen to 10 different 'experts' and hear 10 different theories. It's all so fascinating.

I would love Cutler.

If Bit didn't. ;)

Seriously I wouldn't mind him later like 7-10 - but not at 4. That is too high for a guy with so many question marks. Players come out with rocket arms every year yet bust.

Also it is very unbelicheck like to take a QB that high. Infact the only QB taken in the first round of a Parcells/Belicheck regime was Drew Bledsoe.

The fact of the matter is QB is the hardest position to scout. No one can say for sure whether any of these guys are going to pan out.

I would love Cutler.

If Bit didn't. ;)

Seriously I wouldn't mind him later like 7-10 - but not at 4. That is too high for a guy with so many question marks. Players come out with rocket arms every year yet bust.

Also it is very unbelicheck like to take a QB that high. Infact the only QB taken in the first round of a Parcells/Belicheck regime was Drew Bledsoe.

The fact of the matter is QB is the hardest position to scout. No one can say for sure whether any of these guys are going to pan out.

Well, yes and no.

When Parcells took over, he took a QB #1 overall.

When Bellichick took over, he already had what was thought to be his franchise QB. Brady was taken in round 6 to be a backup, not to beat out or even compete with Bledsoe for a starting job.

I take for granted that Bellichick would not take a QB with a top-10 pick when

- he only had one top-10 pick & that was right after giving Bledsoe a huge contract

- since his 2nd season there they had Tom Brady. Why would they draft a QB even on day one?

Well, yes and no.

When Parcells took over, he took a QB #1 overall.

When Bellichick took over, he already had what was thought to be his franchise QB. Brady was taken in round 6 to be a backup, not to beat out or even compete with Bledsoe for a starting job.

I take for granted that Bellichick would not take a QB with a top-10 pick when

- he only had one top-10 pick & that was right after giving Bledsoe a huge contract

- since his 2nd season there they had Tom Brady. Why would they draft a QB even on day one?

He wouldn't - because it makes very little sense to take a QB in round one. Unless it is a big guy with a strong arm and no character flaws it is dumb to take a QB that high in round one. Look at BB's years in cleveland. He definitely did not like Kosar but opted for Vinny T. rather than grabbing a QB in the draft. He too passed on Favre. Parcells obviously needed a QB when he arrived in Dallas. But he took Terrance Newman rather than Byron Leftwich. QB is an afterthought for these guys. Because all you need is a serviceable guy to win in this league so long as you dominate the LOS. Why give a $20 million dollar bonus to one guy who will not help your team right away? You can get 3 or 4 guys for that price. Plus you are going to get the same production the first couple years that you can get from a solid vet for 1/5 the price. It also takes time to develop even the most NFL ready guy. Rothlesburger and Marino are two guys that stepped right into the fire. But both stepped into successful teams with great personnel already on the team. Lastly if you draft any other position besides QB high in the first you can get impact production immediately. Whether it be by taking an OT and putting him at guard for a year, taking a LB and using him as a situational player, or playing a DE in pass rush situations. Unless the Jets move down they are not taking a QB in round one. jmho.

Put it in the bank, 2006 is a wash. If you even get upset at a bad record this year you're crazy. 2006 is all about 2007 and beyond. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't expect Mangini and Tannenbaum to right this ship in just one season. Their moves to this point have been very solid and commendable given their position at the beginning of taking over Herm/TB's mess.

If there is any doubt, any, one iota of pause to believe Penny is through being able to 100% lead this offense, you have to draft a QB. Unless Ramsey is showing something that says a change of location is exactly what he needed, you have to draft a QB. We've played the Free Agent QB game many times since Kenny O'Brien and it's brought us one AFC Title game appearance and a whole lot of heartbreak.

I have zero confidence in Pennington being what he was in 2002 and beyond, zero. I have less then average confidence in Patrick Ramsey being abel to turn around his career, although I still commend his pickup by the Jets.

That said if they think Leinart or Cutler is the man to rebuild around, pull the trigger. I like QB all the way

Put it in the bank, 2006 is a wash. If you even get upset at a bad record this year you're crazy. 2006 is all about 2007 and beyond. Rome wasn't built in a day and you can't expect Mangini and Tannenbaum to right this ship in just one season. Their moves to this point have been very solid and commendable given their position at the beginning of taking over Herm/TB's mess.

If there is any doubt, any, one iota of pause to believe Penny is through being able to 100% lead this offense, you have to draft a QB. Unless Ramsey is showing something that says a change of location is exactly what he needed, you have to draft a QB. We've played the Free Agent QB game many times since Kenny O'Brien and it's brought us one AFC Title game appearance and a whole lot of heartbreak.

I have zero confidence in Pennington being what he was in 2002 and beyond, zero. I have less then average confidence in Patrick Ramsey being abel to turn around his career, although I still commend his pickup by the Jets.

That said if they think Leinart or Cutler is the man to rebuild around, pull the trigger. I like QB all the way

Good post Guns!

If there is one position to build a team around, and one position a new HC can use to put a stamp on his team, ti's the QB. We (hopefully) won't have a draft pick this high for a while.

There are two ways the Jets can go. Either draft Cutler or Vince Young at 4 or try to build around Patrick Ramsey. Obviously the first choice is riskier but it is more high reward. The second choice is less risky but it could possibly have us going 9-7 or 10-6 next year.

I would rather build around Ramsey, stock the O-line with young, big talented guys and draft weapons like Vernon Davis and Lendale White. The AFC East is getting weaker and right now is the time to try to take advantage of it, not 3-4 years from now like some of you guys want.

Draft Davis, White and OT with the first three picks and that along with Ramsey will turn around our offense.

There are two ways the Jets can go. Either draft Cutler or Vince Young at 4 or try to build around Patrick Ramsey. Obviously the first choice is riskier but it is more high reward. The second choice is less risky but it could possibly have us going 9-7 or 10-6 next year.

I would rather build around Ramsey, stock the O-line with young, big talented guys and draft weapons like Vernon Davis and Lendale White. The AFC East is getting weaker and right now is the time to try to take advantage of it, not 3-4 years from now like some of you guys want.

Draft Davis, White and OT with the first three picks and that along with Ramsey will turn around our offense.

THATS WHAT I'AM TALKING ABOUT PETER N ,US JET FANS LIVE FOR THE MOMENT. NOT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS 3 OR 4 YEAR DOWN THE ROAD.WE CAN ALL GET HIT WITH A SUNAMI TOMMORROW AND WON'T BE HERE.WE HAVE 9 PICKS ,EITHER TRADE DOWN FOR MORE PICKS, OR GRAB OFF & DEF WITH THE PICKS WE HAVE. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS BUT PETER GOT ME GOIN':cheers:

He wouldn't - because it makes very little sense to take a QB in round one. Unless it is a big guy with a strong arm and no character flaws it is dumb to take a QB that high in round one.

Um.... You just described Cutler.

I listed just a few characteristics. But I was eluding to the QB being a flawless prospect. Which Cutler is far from. You can also pick apart his own interview and see why the Jets won't draft his. He said that the Jets workout was difficult. IMO, that means he is not ready for the big time and would raise a flag with me as an interviewer. Also his character is not flawless he is a complaining excuse machine.

I listed just a few characteristics. But I was eluding to the QB being a flawless prospect. Which Cutler is far from. You can also pick apart his own interview and see why the Jets won't draft his. He said that the Jets workout was difficult. IMO, that means he is not ready for the big time and would raise a flag with me as an interviewer. Also his character is not flawless he is a complaining excuse machine.

Wow. Yer so wrong about this, I'm not even willing to discuss it with you!

And that's a FIRST! Yer delusional!

Archived