Ty Law back to the Pats?

faba

Sources say Pats bring CB Ty Law in for physical

By Michael Felger

Boston Herald Patriots Beat Columnist

Monday, May 15, 2006 - Updated: 07:04 AM EST

-- The Patriots’ pursuit of Ty Law has apparently gone beyond the casual, stay-in-touch phase to the point of hands-on evaluation.

According to sources, the 32-year-old, five-time Pro Bowl cornerback was scheduled to undergo a physical with the Patriots last Friday as part of a free agent visit.

It’s assumed that Law made it into town for the appointments (he was visiting Tennessee Thursday, where he reportedly passed a Titans physical), although Patriots officials would not confirm the visit. advertisement4.gif

@Topx document.write('136392549');136392549

Pats coach Bill Belichick has kept in touch with Law this offseason through a series of private phone conversations.

The Pats have an abundance of salary cap space (as much as $16 million). However, Law’s reported asking price of $10 million in first-year money is probably not in the Pats’ plans. If Law receives that money elsewhere (he’s also visited Seattle and talked with Chiefs coach Herm Edwards, who signed him to the Jets last year), the odds of the Pats matching appear slim.

The Patriots must feel they are in Law’s ballpark. One source in Foxboro said recently the brunt of the talks are being handled personally between Belichick and Law.

“It’s not like Scott (Pioli) or anyone else is calling up Carl and Kevin (Poston, Law’s agents) twice a day,” said the source. “If anything happens it’s because of Bill and Ty.”

Yeah this is just great. I can see it now.

Law will resign with the Pats for the Vet minimum. Brady will restructure to help bring financial relief to the organization. In turn the Pats will lower ticket and concession prices for the fans.

It is like a cult they have up there in New England. Don't they know they are supposed to screw the fans over and not win so many damn Super Bowls? Damn Patriots.

I'll beleive it when I see it. Seems to me the Potson's are at it again. Perhaps to scare Hermie into over-paying for Law's services?

That said, I would welcome Law back with open arms (not at 10 Mil though). Law would instantly become the Pats best DB. And, if you look a year down the road - he could easily make the move to safety.

I know TX will disagree, but please tell me how Hobbs, Samuel or Gay are better than Law. You can't. So he was a little "bulky" last year. He'll lose the access weight. Foxboro (Gillette) is NOT Camp Barbeque.

I'll beleive it when I see it. Seems to me the Potson's are at it again. Perhaps to scare Hermie into over-paying for Law's services?

That said, I would welcome Law back with open arms (not at 10 Mil though). Law would instantly become the Pats best DB. And, if you look a year down the road - he could easily make the move to safety.

I know TX will disagree, but please tell me how Hobbs, Samuel or Gay are better than Law. You can't. So he was a little "bulky" last year. He'll lose the access weight. Foxboro (Gillette) is NOT Camp Barbeque.

cant blame Edwards for that one...he came to camp a fat azz...

I do agree with you Garb.

I'd love to have Law back.

Why is Law still not signed- hint asking too much money and his season last year was a statistical great one in reality a mediocre one

Alot of that had to do with the injury Garb mentioned.

Ty was never blessed with world class speed. He relied more on instincts to get in position and make a play.

I still remember the picture at the AFC Championship game (See Foot Note #1), where he gets in the picture while styling in his wheelchair.

Fast forward three months he is limping in to Chiefs offices.

Judging by his 10 picks, he probably still has his instincts. While a Pat, he always worked out with Joyner-Kersee's husband during the offseason to get in shape. Maybe with a full offseason, and some decent safties to protect him, he can return to the Ty Law of 2001-2004.

If it is more incentive based, I would have no problem giving Ty the chance to earn 10 million.

I'd still take Law in Pittsburgh as well. And we're pretty loaded in the secondary these days. Like Garb said, he could easily make the switch to S ala Rod Woodson and play another 3 or 4 years at a high level.

Problem with that SP is a VET like Law will command a Huge payday and will keep a Good young player on the Bench! Law to me is like a Hit Man! He'll come to a Team in need that's a Player away from the Show for a "Short Contract" and then go on his merry and richer way to search for the next victim!!;)

Problem with that SP is a VET like Law will command a Huge payday and will keep a Good young player on the Bench! Law to me is like a Hit Man! He'll come to a Team in need that's a Player away from the Show for a "Short Contract" and then go on his merry and richer way to search for the next victim!!;)

You certainly have a valid point there. I know we'll never get him in the 'burgh. Wow, would i like to see him next to Troy Polamalu for a year or 2 though. :eek:

Isn't one of the objectives of training camp is for players to get in game shape?:eek:

Nice work ethic displayed by the coaching staff and Ty Law the player to not push him to get in shape

Not for nothing, but I have never heard of Ty Law not working his azz off when he played for the Pats. How quickly people forget that he was in a wheelchair for months.

I agree, Garb. The Law bashing here is too funny. Guy is overweight and in the worst shape of his career....and comes away with 10 INT's!!!!

I dont want to get into a silly debate about the legitimacy on his INT's with the Law-bashers either.....so dont bother addressing it with me.

If he came back to the NYJ...I'd be pumped. Ty Law would be our best CB in '06 and '07 if he was on the team.

Not for nothing, but I have never heard of Ty Law not working his azz off when he played for the Pats. How quickly people forget that he was in a wheelchair for months.

That's nothing Martin can and will gain 4 yds a carry from a wheelchair and the Martinette's will praise their Warrior Hero!!:D

It's amazing how these Pats fan change their tune.

Take Ty back? after you Idiots mocked the Jets for taking him in the first place?

I love it.

Don't go painting with such a broad brush, Smizzola. I wasn't one of those Pats fans.

Call Ty Law a fatass all you want, but remember he was an amazing corner last year. The guy never got beat over the top despite being "fat - overweight blahblahblah". Ty Law is definetly the best corner in the NFL - still.

Archived