Expectations

Tinstar2

In 1998,the NY Jets under then HC Bill Parcells went to the AFC Championship game against the Broncos at their home field and lost.3 years later,after failing to return to the Playoffs in the 2 seasons following that trip to Denver,the Jets a now aging team with an influx of 1st round talent from the last Draft of Bill Parcells were turned over to Terry Bradway and Herman Edwards who promptly switched both offensive and defensive schemes and made the playoffs in their initial season before losing to the Raiders in the 1st round.That was then followed by yet another playoff season where the team advances to the 2nd round of the playoffs before falling to the eventual SB losing Raiders.

In 2004,the NYJets under then HC Herman Edwards came within 2 Missed FGs of advancing to the AFC Championship game against the Patriots.2 yrs Later the team is turned over to Former cap guru Mike T and new HC Eric Mangini.This new Management team has again switched both offensive and defensive schemes,and have again added an influx of 1st round talent at strategic positions on the team that were some of the weaker areas.Expectations are non existant.

Exactly why are the expectations for this season so minisculed in the eyes of most fans.

Do the fans also believe that they new HC share those beliefs

Do most fans who hold this belief also rationalize keeping Curtis Martin on a rebuilding team.

are we as bad as a 4-12 team again?No-I'm not gonna do what I did last year and predict a SB or nuthin'-but I will say this;after watching football for 40 years now I understand one thing that has always been a constant across the decades-whoever stays the healthiest,the longest and DOESN'T lose it's QB(s) and maybe gets a little luck to squeak out a win or two when it shouldn't is the team to be...who knows maybe it's our turn this year-FOR A CHANGE

Mangini's 1st year: 7-9

This or better is something i can accept,provided the team finishes strong.those expectations of less than 5 wins i can't accept and never will.

34st GANGThe obvious reason is the tuna had won already, we knew what he could do. Manginni is still a bit of a reach, good coach, yes, good head coach, yet to be seen, great leader, I can only hope

The situation was not Parcells taking over,but what happened after he left.In my opinion,the same situation exist today as what existed when Edwards took over,minus the cap situation created by Bill.

The situation was not Parcells taking over,but what happened after he left.In my opinion,the same situation exist today as what existed when Edwards took over,minus the cap situation created by Bill.

You're kidding, right?

As Hermaphrodites are commonly quoted with the "a FG away"...

Well Herm inherited a team that was "a FG away" from being 10-6 (a chip-shot at home at that). The 2005 Jets were "a FG away" from being 3-13 (as though that would be so much worse than the 4-12 they finished with).

Herm's glorious 2002 playoff appearance he had the same # of wins as the non-playoff team he inherited.

The glorious 2001 playoff appearance included 1-point wins against the 1-15 Panthers & the 6-10 Colts and losses to those same Colts along with the 3-13 Bills. A 53-yard FG by the same John Hall who missed a chip-shot 1 year earlier is the difference between 9-7 and 10-6 for both the 2000 and 2001 Jets.

The "core" of that 1998 team was:

Testaverde

Martin

Keyshawn

Chrebet

Mawae

Fabini

Mo Lewis

Aaron Glenn

James Farrior

Jason Ferguson

Other than Keyshawn, Herm inherited all of these players before they were total liabilities PLUS

Randy Thomas

Shaun Ellis

John Abraham

Chad Pennington

Laveranues Coles

Richie Anderson

Jerald Sowell

and before his first training camp:

Santana Moss

LaMont Jordan

Kareem McKenzie

These pre-2001 draft players were experienced in, or drafted to play in, a 3-4 defense. On offense, the size of the receivers alone should have dictated not using a WCO. The 2001 Jets were still in win-now mode, not rebuilding/changing the whole team around mode. But no matter, Herm changed them to the Tampa-2 and Paul Hackett's WCO.

But ok, the May 1st Jets were no better in 2001 than in 2006. Right. Look at the 2001 and 2006 rosters and honestly say you believe that.

Look,my moniker is Tinstar,not herm/anything,so don't lump me in with anyone else. This Post is about expectations,not what we believed we had.That team that everyone says was so great,that was put together by that group,never won anything and made the playoffs once with them.Parcells himself said the object is to make the tournament and then see what happens from there.

In 2004,the Jets stumbled to the end of the season,bearly making the playoffs.Yet that same team almost went to the championship game beating much higher seeds.I don't care how they win,as long as they win on a consistent basis,and come the end of the season,the Jets are still playing.

When Herm and bradway took over,the 4 1st rounders were 1 yr into their NFL careers.Abe was coming back from injury and Chad was sitting on the bench.Mo and Marvin were on their last legs,and both schemes were switched.We lost Aaron Glenn the following yr mostly because the team had little choice due to the cap situation created by the previous regime.What would have happened to that team had it not been for the expansion draft and the ability to move certain cap values without penalties.

Heading into that 1t season,not 1 player had played on a cover 2 defensive team and none were familiar with the WCO.The Jets made the Playoffs.I don't care how they did it,they did it.Why is it wrong to expect a productive season from the Mangini led Jets.I wonder if most Jet fans believe Eric Mangini is heading into his initial season as HC with the same aspirations as the fans have.

When Herm and bradway took over,the 4 1st rounders were 1 yr into their NFL careers.Abe was coming back from injury and Chad was sitting on the bench.Mo and Marvin were on their last legs,and both schemes were switched.We lost Aaron Glenn the following yr mostly because the team had little choice due to the cap situation created by the previous regime.What would have happened to that team had it not been for the expansion draft and the ability to move certain cap values without penalties.

Heading into that 1t season,not 1 player had played on a cover 2 defensive team and none were familiar with the WCO.The Jets made the Playoffs.I don't care how they did it,they did it.Why is it wrong to expect a productive season from the Mangini led Jets.I wonder if most Jet fans believe Eric Mangini is heading into his initial season as HC with the same aspirations as the fans have.

The Jets in 2000 quit on Al Groh. That was a good team, they just didn't have the HC. The team was in between owners and Parcells was made the interim GM, Bellichik wanted no part of that and quit. The players all knew the circumstances. And anyway, if Jon Hall hits a chip shot against the Lions and Vinny doesn't melt down against the Ravens, the Jets would have finished 11-5 and been in the playoffs that year.

Did you watch the 2001 season? That was hard on the eyes, bro. And the fact is, that team finishes no better than 9-7 if the Raiders game didn't get postponed. So this idea that Herm did a good coaching job is laughable.

Look,my moniker is Tinstar,not herm/anything,so don't lump me in with anyone else. This Post is about expectations,not what we believed we had.That team that everyone says was so great,that was put together by that group,never won anything and made the playoffs once with them.Parcells himself said the object is to make the tournament and then see what happens from there.

Parcells made the playoffs "only once" because he coached the team for only 3 seasons. The first year, he took over a team that was 3-29 the previous two seasons. The third year, he lost his starting QB but still managed to win 8 games with Ray Lucas, Tom Tupa, and Rick Mirer.

Herm couldn't win 7 games with Vinny and Chad. In 2003, the Jets lost that Giants game because of Herm and his embarrassing inability to manage the clock or the end of a game, and they lost to the Eagles 'cos that moron announced a week in advance that Vinny would start the game and Chad would replace him. Then he actually did it. And if I'm not mistaken, the Jets had a lead when he pulled Vinny.

Dude, the guy was a friggin' dunce and an embarrassment.

You know what,it doesn't matter,because you guys just don't get it.If a freaking dunce can get the Jets to the playoffs,then why are so many Jet fans hedging on what an Upgrade like Eric Mangini can do.I don't care about Edwards anymore,just this notion that the Team that is going into 2006 can't win or make a play for the playoffs.

Eric Mangini is not out there looking for a mulligan,so I`m not offering him 1.If the Jets finish with an 8-8 record,I will consider it a good job.If they suck like they did last yr,i will consider it a bad job,and hope like heck it was just growing pains.

IMHO,the Majority of Jet fans are sitting back waitint to say what a great HC we have if the team does well,and why Patience should be required if the team sucks.

I say there is nothing wrong with expecting your team to win and compete for the playoffs. Rebuilding or not. The object is always gonna be to get to and win a SB for every team, not hope to eventually have a shot at the SB. I hope Mangini sets lofty goals for the team and dares em' to meet em'.

You know what,it doesn't matter,because you guys just don't get it.If a freaking dunce can get the Jets to the playoffs,then why are so many Jet fans hedging on what an Upgrade like Eric Mangini can do.I don't care about Edwards anymore,just this notion that the Team that is going into 2006 can't win or make a play for the playoffs.

We're "hedging" because Bradway and Hermy left a mess. The team the dunce got to the playoffs, is not the same team. He killed the QB with his idiocy, the attrition of the 0-line was a perpertual end of season ritual, and he destroyed John Lott's conditioning program.

Mangini is inheriting a mess.

So far, he's done a nice job cleaning it up. Now, he has to straighten out the teams eating and workout habits, and maybe, just maybe we'll all have a pleasant surprise this year.

You've made one outrageous comment after another in this thread. You claim that Mangini is taking over a team that is similar to the one Herm took over. That is insane. If anybody is "hedging", it is you. You're hedging that Mangini shts the bed. You're pssed off because no Jet fan in their right mind would make predictions that this team will have a winning record. You want us all to do that, so we can prop Mangini up for failure, and you can say "I told you so". It's so friggin, transparent. Fans wanted a SB out of Herm in 2005, because it was his fifth year. Thats why the expectations were so high. Acting confused as to why nobody is making the same predictions for Mangini is disengenuous. The team was 4-12 last year.

Herm is an *sshole. He scuttled this team. Mangini inherited a mess.

But hey, you want a prediction?

I predict the Jets finish with a better record than the Chiefs. I am so convinced that Herman Edwards is a fraud, that even with far superior talent, his team will finish with a worse record than Mangini's Jets.

I predict the Jets finish with a better record than the Chiefs. I am so convinced that Herman Edwards is a fraud, that even with far superior talent, his team will finish with a worse record than Mangini's Jets.

I'd say the odds of you being right on that isn't as bad as you might think at first. The Chiefs are aging, and I just don't buy the hype surounding LJ. Sure he's good, but not THAT good. And Herm will be the bad egg that ruins the cake.

As for the Jets? I'd say a 7-9 season will be a decent result. The team is going through a much bigger change that those other times you mentioned. And first round picks or not, D'Brick and Mangold will need a year or two to grow. The QB situation is a mess, we don't have a heir to C-Mart or a good speedy WR. The D-line is lacking a bit, so is the secondary and quite a few players are unproven in a 3-4 system. Mangini and Co. have done some good moves, but there's only so much you can accomplish in one off-season. Next season we'll be pushing for a playoff space.

Eric Mangini is not out there looking for a mulligan,so I`m not offering him 1.If the Jets finish with an 8-8 record,I will consider it a good job.If they suck like they did last yr,i will consider it a bad job,and hope like heck it was just growing pains.

IMHO,the Majority of Jet fans are sitting back waitint to say what a great HC we have if the team does well,and why Patience should be required if the team sucks.

The Jets overall record doesn't matter to me that much.(Sure I'd like the Jets to have a winning record & make the playoffs) But I would be extremely satisfied if they played mistake free football, played hard, & didn't "lose" any games. I don't mind being beat by a superior team on any Sunday as long as I see our team playing hard & mistake free every week. Even the 1st year that the Tuna took over, we began to see that. At least I did. If the jets play like that, good things WILL happen.

Just my thoughts.

We're "hedging" because Bradway and Hermy left a mess. The team the dunce got to the playoffs, is not the same team. He killed the QB with his idiocy, the attrition of the 0-line was a perpertual end of season ritual, and he destroyed John Lott's conditioning program.

So far, he's done a nice job cleaning it up. Now, he has to straighten out the teams eating and workout habits, and maybe, just maybe we'll all have a pleasant surprise this year.

You've made one outrageous comment after another in this thread. You claim that Mangini is taking over a team that is similar to the one Herm took over. That is insane. If anybody is "hedging", it is you. You're hedging that Mangini shts the bed. You're pssed off because no Jet fan in their right mind would make predictions that this team will have a winning record. You want us all to do that, so we can prop Mangini up for failure, and you can say "I told you so". It's so friggin, transparent. Fans wanted a SB out of Herm in 2005, because it was his fifth year. Thats why the expectations were so high. Acting confused as to why nobody is making the same predictions for Mangini is disengenuous. The team was 4-12 last year.

Deliver us from the house of bondage, Moses.

The only thing similar about the two situations is that both Herm & Mangini were both in their first seasons as HC. The similarities stop there.

Without even looking at defense, the differences on offense are staggering:

2001:

QB's: Vinny, still the starter, now almost 2 years removed from his achilles injury, throwing to players he's used to, taking snaps from the center he's used to, with no arm/shoulder injury questions. Backup is Chad Pennington, with 1 year of clipboard holding already under his belt.

HB: Curtis Martin at age 28 & healthy, LaMont Jordan (2nd-rd rookie)

FB: Richie Anderson, Jerald Sowell

TE: Anthony Becht

WR's: Coles (pre turf-toe problems), Chrebet starters; Santana Moss (injured rookie)

OL: Fabini, Jenkins, Mawae, Thomas, Young (and just drafted McKenzie who could be afforded the luxury of not starting as a rookie).

2006:

QB: Chad Pennington coming off a 2nd shoulder surgery, still not healed with minicamp in 1 week; Patrick Ramsey, so far in his career has been all arm & no head, playing with all new players except Coles who he played with a couple of years ago; Kellen Clemens, rookie. It's so sad, no one would be surprised if we kept a 4th QB (Bollinger) because of Chad's fragile history.

HB: Curtis Martin, now 33, coming off knee surgery that ended his 2005 season; Derrick Blaylock, coming off a broken foot that ended his 2005 season; Cedric Houston, with a broken arm from a recent car accident; Leon Washington, 4th-round rookie, DonTrell Moore (UDFA).

FB: BJ Askew (1st year starter), Jason Pociask (rookie TE/FB tweener)

WR: Coles (still good but not a burner anymore), McCariens, Cotchery, Dwight, Brad Smith (rookie + converted QB)

TE: Baker (coming off a broken leg that ended his 2005 season), Jolley, Driessen &/or Pociask

OL: Ferguson (rookie) - Kendall - Mangold (rookie) - Moore - Jones. (Solid backup depth).

Do these teams inherited look even remotely "equal" to anyone?

And as far as assertions of players like Mo Lewis being on their last legs, Mo was just in the pro-bowl in 2000, as were Aaron Glenn, Kevin Mawae, and Richie Anderson.

2006: 9-7

(and I have said this a lot)

If Nicky can take the 4-12 Dolphins and turn them into a 9-7 with ABSOLUTELY NO QB, so can Mangini with better talent all around.

Other expectations:

- Competitive in every game

- Win at least one game against each of our division rivals

- Play well at home

BZ

If Nicky can take the 4-12 Dolphins and turn them into a 9-7 with ABSOLUTELY NO QB, so can Mangini with better talent all around.

Other expectations:

- Play well at home

BZ

Then you & I are in agreement on something after all. Anyone who, in pre-season, sets their sights on 7-9 as a success is saying they don't mind losing. My point was only that the situations inherited in 2001 and 2006 are not comparable. That being said, my message to Mangini & co would be "Tough luck. Produce anyway."

The team's out of shape? Whip them into shape.

Player inexperience? Teach them & give them the reps they need with the first team.

Lack of top-notch talent? Gameplan around it.

Now that doesn't mean I expect them to blow out the Patriots 50-0 in week 2, but I do expect them to expect to go toe-to-toe with them and not accept losing as a foregone conclusion.

Then you & I are in agreement on something after all. Anyone who, in pre-season, sets their sights on 7-9 as a success is saying they don't mind losing. My point was only that the situations inherited in 2001 and 2006 are not comparable. That being said, my message to Mangini & co would be "Tough luck. Produce anyway."

The team's out of shape? Whip them into shape.

Player inexperience? Teach them & give them the reps they need with the first team.

Lack of top-notch talent? Gameplan around it.

Now that doesn't mean I expect them to blow out the Patriots 50-0 in week 2, but I do expect them to expect to go toe-to-toe with them and not accept losing as a foregone conclusion.

Wow... I agree completely.

This is the New NFL. You rebuild during the off season with the draft and free agency. Gone are the 3-5 years of rebuilding. Every you you have to be competitive and have depth every year because you could be the team that goes on the road through the playoffs and wins the big games.

BZ

Wow... I agree completely.

This is the New NFL. You rebuild during the off season with the draft and free agency. Gone are the 3-5 years of rebuilding. Every you you have to be competitive and have depth every year because you could be the team that goes on the road through the playoffs and wins the big games.

BZ

Exactly. I'm sick of the baby-steps to the superbowl. Well, we 6-10. Then we were 10-6 and made the div playoffs. Next year if everyone's healthy we'll win that & make it to the championship game. Then the year after that if everyone's healthy we'll win the championship game & maybe lose the SB. But the year after THAT - if everyone's healthy we will proudly hoist up our Lombardi Trophy.

It's what I felt was an inherent problem with Edwards' years here. Well we were successful - a FG away from the Championship Game. What a bunch of loser-talk. The game was there for the taking & we didn't take it. That makes it a failure. If we were an 8-8 team that worked its way through a merciless schedule & backed into the playoffs then fought back & drove down the field to get within that FG then we could've cited moral victories.

Enough of that. I expect this team to win games. I don't expect 16 wins or even 10 or a Superbowl. I'm not 9 years old & know better. This isn't the 4-12 Rams with an accidental gem in Kurt Warner added to Faulk/Bruce/Pace with a suddenly-dominant defense. I don't expect that. Even the Pats under BB won a pitiful 5 games before their "dynasty" began. But at this point I DO expect us to be competitive and to win more than we lose. If we don't, THEN we can examine why. Maybe it was rookie coaching mistakes; maybe it was rookie player mistakes; maybe it was a lack of talent; maybe it was a combination of all of the above. Whatever. We'll figure out the cause & correct it. Otherwise Mangini's effectively no better than Herm; just more cerebral.

Major ????'s at QB. Major ???'s at RB. Major ????'s at WR. 2 rookies on our OL. Major?????'s at TE. Major ????'s at DL. We are no better than last year as far as immediate talent on the team. If Ramsey pans out then it would be a major step forward. Chad is done. Regardless we still have issues with a 33 year old RB, and an unproven backup. Outside of Coles our WR's are crap.

We will be lucky to be better than 4-12, but good coaching can make us about 6-10 to 8-8.

Other expectations:

- Play well at home

BZ

Bravo. POTW nom. :)

Other expectations:

- Play well at home

BZ

What better talent? MIA had Gus Frerotte, currently we may possibly have an adequate QB in Ramsey. MIA had Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. We have Curtis Martin and Cedric Houston. MIA had Chambers and Marty Booker, both of whom have been 1000 yard receivers. We have Coles/McCareins, not much worse but worse nonetheless. MIA had McMichael at TE. We have Jolley. MIA had an adequate OL. We have 2 rookies.

On D MIA had Holliday/Traylor/Taylor/Carter on the line. We have Ellis, Robertson/Von Olhoffen. At LB they had Thomas/Spragen/Crowder. We have Vilma/Hobson/Thomas/Barton. We are better at LB, I'll give us that. We are also better at the DB/S area as well.

So of all things offense and defense, the only areas where we are in better shape than last year's MIA team is LB and secondary. I don't see how you can possibly say we are in better shape now than they were last year.

Nothing could be further from the truth.Eric Mangini represents what i have always wanted fot the Jets as a HC.A young fiery guy who can install a program and hopefully be around long enough to build it into something special the way Bill cower has in Pittsburg.The fact that he's from the defensive side of the ball is also a huge plus in that regard.

When Herm took over,i wasn't sure what he would be,but due to his age,i was hoping he was what i was looking for.The fact that the team started making the playoffs consistently gave me hope that he would gradually become that next top tier HC dispite some obvious short comings.It didn't workout,and that's that.What i don't want now,is yet another series or building and firing and reshaping similiar to what transpired with this team through the late 70s 80s and early 90s.

I want to see the jets win, and win right now so that Eric Mangini can get comfortable with the media and the rabid fans of NY who i know without a doubt will turn on him before the end of next season if things don't please them.This Jet team is replacing a LT in Jason fabini who couldn't block me,with a player considered by many as the prototypical LT prospect.The enterior of the Line will be decent with 2 solid guards and either a veteran Center or a Rookie who beatout that Vet.Chad has to be better than last yr,and if that's not so,we have Ramsey who can make all the throws even better than Fielder,and a solid option as the #3 in Clemens.The receivers are the same as last yr,so what's the problem.

Expectations were high last yr,and we have improved the OL,and have supposedly a much better HC making the decisions.Make this out to be whatever you want,but for me,my expectations are exactly what i believe Eric mangini's expectations are heading into the season.

If Our HC is heading into the season,expecting not to have a chance,then I don't want him as my HC.I don't believe that to be the case,and that is exactly what my expectations are also.

Nothing could be further from the truth.Eric Mangini represents what i have always wanted fot the Jets as a HC.A young fiery guy who can install a program and hopefully be around long enough to build it into something special the way Bill cower has in Pittsburg.The fact that he's from the defensive side of the ball is also a huge plus in that regard.

When Herm took over,i wasn't sure what he would be,but due to his age,i was hoping he was what i was looking for.The fact that the team started making the playoffs consistently gave me hope that he would gradually become that next top tier HC dispite some obvious short comings.It didn't workout,and that's that.What i don't want now,is yet another series or building and firing and reshaping similiar to what transpired with this team through the late 70s 80s and early 90s.

I want to see the jets win, and win right now so that Eric Mangini can get comfortable with the media and the rabid fans of NY who i know without a doubt will turn on him before the end of next season if things don't please them.This Jet team is replacing a LT in Jason fabini who couldn't block me,with a player considered by many as the prototypical LT prospect.The enterior of the Line will be decent with 2 solid guards and either a veteran Center or a Rookie who beatout that Vet.Chad has to be better than last yr,and if that's not so,we have Ramsey who can make all the throws even better than Fielder,and a solid option as the #3 in Clemens.The receivers are the same as last yr,so what's the problem.

Expectations were high last yr,and we have improved the OL,and have supposedly a much better HC making the decisions.Make this out to be whatever you want,but for me,my expectations are exactly what i believe Eric mangini's expectations are heading into the season.

If Our HC is heading into the season,expecting not to have a chance,then I don't want him as my HC.I don't believe that to be the case,and that is exactly what my expectations are also.

Fair enough. :cheers:

Archived