Ranking the running backs, team by team (oh God)

SoFlaJets

124-did I say that I'd rather see Blaylock,Houston,Washington or even Nick Hartigan?

No-re-read my post what I said was I want the best guy playing REGARDLESS of WHO he is or WHAT his credentials might be.

That being said,the role I think CM could best fit into is the same one that KC used Marcus Allen played in HIS last couple of years.

Martin is an excellent pass catcher out of the backfield and just as good a blocker-in case he's needed.IMO he would be a good option for us as a 3rd down back.

I love what Curtis has given this team-both on and off the field and am in no way writing him off as a has-been like a lot of other guys around the boards who just look at numbers like age and poor YPC avg.Last year was no measuring stick of this team now-I believe that-and like I said not enough do.

true to an extent, BUT do you think the OL will that much improved if at all, ,the main equation on a RBs success?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
actually i think i already claimed a plymouth volare

Actually, he's more like the AMC Pacer from Waynes World. :)

cap_ww_pacer.jpg

Too bad we couldnt put Curtis's tires on a back with alittle giddyup!

Maybe we could get Barbaro to donate his hooves to Curtis?

Actually, he's more like the AMC Pacer from Waynes World. :)

cap_ww_pacer.jpg

Too bad we couldnt put Curtis's tires on a back with alittle giddyup!

Maybe we could get Barbaro to donate his hooves to Curtis?

Barbaro is like Generalisimo Franco,, he is kickin again,, see link in Lounge

true to an extent, BUT do you think the OL will that much improved if at all, ,the main equation on a RBs success?

yea I really do SJ-they were all out of shape and overweight-add the lousy play calling to the mix and a 3rd string RB and 4th string QB and you got real problems-we were like a CFL team trying to play in the NFL last year

yea I really do SJ-they were all out of shape and overweight-add the lousy play calling to the mix and a 3rd string RB and 4th string QB and you got real problems-we were like a CFL team trying to play in the NFL last year

OK, fair analysis,, maybe I am thinking it will take awhile for the youngsters tpo gel and CM might get hurt while the jelling takes place,, but u r right on all 2005 points

jonE. He's 33 yrs old how much longer do you think he has it? Based on his most recent season he is probably the worst starting runner in the NFL. Or at least he was last season. As soon as they put Houston in last year, our running game actually showed alittle bit of life.

This is his last year as a Jet.

Barton has more football knowledge in his little pinky than JonE has in his entire body.

Martin is complete toast, time to move on.

Tex really has no clue of what the game of football is about

it's all about bashing the Jets...and the funny thing is that most posters on here find him funny

I on the other hand find him to be pathetic

Then go back to that other message board and have a circle jerk with RamRodDumbAssRay.

For pure football knowledge, they threw away the mold after you two morons.

Correct me if I am wrong but WTF did Curtis Martin ever do for us in the playoffs? Did he ever carry us to a big playoff win? A superbowl?

In 1998 he rushed for something like 14 yards and had a critical fumble in the AFC Championship game.

In 1998 he rushed for something like 14 yards and had a critical fumble in the AFC Championship game.

Actually TX the critical fumble you're talking about was not Martin. The critical fumble you're talking about was by Keith Byars. I remember it sitting there saying "we're done, it's over"

I have no desire to go 6-10 with a workable CM when I can go 3-13 and also at same time see if I have a future starter in what is in Jets RB stable other than CM..

Buggs idea of CM as a 3rd down change of pace back is fine,, actually a great idea as CM's lack of speed will not be as noticeable if he has ball on outside after a flare pass,, he just cant get thru the holes quick enough anymore to be a 25 carry a game back

So you want to play somebody else even if they cost us three games? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You guys will be calling for the coaches head if they lost three games because of his poor choice of lineup. If Martin is done, I agree, don't play him. I agree give the younger guys more shots than in the past, but over the course of the season, play the guy that gives the best chance of success. You can find out what a guy can do on 10 carries a game. We all knew what Lamont could do. They practice all week, all preseason. For the most part they know what they can do. Play the best player. If it's Martin or somebody else.

So you want to play somebody else even if they cost us three games? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

From a competitive perspective, what is the difference between 6-10 and 3-13. Nothing.

Plus, the 3-13 season gets you a much higher draft pick.

From a competitive perspective, what is the difference between 6-10 and 3-13. Nothing.

Plus, the 3-13 season gets you a much higher draft pick.

Pats didn't win the superbowl last year, I guess they were dumb for not finishing last and getting a good pick. Seems Kotite was a genius after all.

Pats didn't win the superbowl last year, I guess they were dumb for not finishing last and getting a good pick. Seems Kotite was a genius after all.

You don't think there is a huge difference in winning the AFCE versus finishing 6-10 or 3-13?

Nice friggn' analogy.

You don't think there is a huge difference in winning the AFCE versus finishing 6-10 or 3-13?

Nice friggn' analogy.

I forgot, you're delusional enough to think the Pat's could have won it last year. We can bash Herm all we want, but one thing he said that was correct is that you play to win the game. No other reason to play. Any coach or player that doesn't try to win should be out the door.

If you blame the OL for Curtis, then he's mediocre at best. How difficult is it really to run behind a good OL with a good QB & good receivers? If that's what Martin requires for excellence then what good is he? Stick a mid-rounder or undrafted rookie in there. They can ALL do well if the QB/OL/REC's around them are good, as equally as they can suck behind no talent.

Nice friggn' analogy.

All we heard from you when Herm was here (and making the playoffs) is that nothing matters unless you win it all.

Now that all the Coordinators are gone from N.E. and Mumbles is average again, you are happy with the division. Interesting. Hypocritical but interesting.

Tx one more thing. Anyone can string out 3 Lombardi's in 4 years. Cmon. What Mangini is trying to do here is 4 out of 5. Now that would be something to write home about. ;)

All we heard from you when Herm was here (and making the playoffs) is that nothing matters unless you win it all.

Now that all the Coordinators are gone from N.E. and Mumbles is average again, you are happy with the division. Interesting. Hypocritical but interesting.

Tx one more thing. Anyone can string out 3 Lombardi's in 4 years. Cmon. What Mangini is trying to do here is 4 out of 5. Now that would be something to write home about. ;)

See Max you do not have any perspective on the matter.

Being a Yankee fan is not the same. They are the gold standard in MLB. Them winning is probably nice, but not the same, because it is expected. Wait a few years they will win again, they always seem to do.

The Patriots first, was great. It brought me to the point that I did not care what they did after that. Then they won the second and it dawned on me, why would you ever want anything less.

Last year's 10-6 record, was nice. They won a playoff game. That was nice to. Winning 10 games, a division title and a playoff game are all nice things, but in the end what did they accomplish? Nothing.

For your sake and the genuine fans, I hope they win one for you to reward your faith. It is great.

BTW I am sure Mangini will get the 4 of 5. The Bills are bound to get better, 4 out of 5 last place finishes should be no problem. You already have the irst and they say that is the hardest.

I am sure Mangini will get the 4 of 5. The Bills are bound to get better, 4 out of 5 last place finishes should be no problem. You already have the irst and they say that is the hardest.

PFSIKH, obviously, the heat is getting to you. Please find some AC and quick. You don

Last year's 10-6 record, was nice. They won a playoff game. That was nice to. Winning 10 games, a division title and a playoff game are all nice things, but in the end what did they accomplish? Nothing.

Well said PFSIKH, and I feel the same way.

Unfortunately, Jet fans will never be able to comprehend that concept.

Hell, when they go 9-7, back into the playoffs with a 3-way tie breaker they run around stroking each others woodies.

Well said PFSIKH, and I feel the same way.

Unfortunately, Jet fans will never be able to comprehend that concept.

Hell, when they go 9-7, back into the playoffs with a 3-way tie breaker they run around stroking each others woodies.

now that's plain BULLSHIIT-what Jets fans here are happy with anything but a championship?We focus on what has to get done to make the team better-when it was a kicker keeping us out of NE we all said "get us a kicker" when we all finally realized our coach and GM were idiots we all said"get 'em outta here".WE have never been like you-living off of the past successes

now that's plain BULLSHIIT-what Jets fans here are happy with anything but a championship?We focus on what has to get done to make the team better-when it was a kicker keeping us out of NE we all said "get us a kicker" when we all finally realized our coach and GM were idiots we all said"get 'em outta here".WE have never been like you-living off of the past successes

SoFla,

I know you were around on another message board when the Jets backed into the playoffs in 2002.

Do you remember all the sigs of Jet fans that year.

Hell, even a weblord (who shall remainless) had a huge signature:

New York Jets 2002 AFCE Champions

Jet fans ran around that year like they won the friggn' Super Bowl.:eek:

SoFla,

I know you were around on another message board when the Jets backed into the playoffs in 2002.

yea I had hat with the same thing written on it-we take what we can get as Jets fans sometimes maybe-besides it looked good in writing-nice hat too..

SoFla,

Webmasters really need to be more responsible with their signatures. Especially when Herm is involved.

:rolleyes:

Yea, your dumbass signature was probably worse than Sooth's.:eek:

We weren't naming names. And I stand by that signature. I didn't put a timeframe on it.

Herm will return here after a stellar run at K.C. and will win it all as H.C. of the N.Y.J.

So you want to play somebody else even if they cost us three games? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You guys will be calling for the coaches head if they lost three games because of his poor choice of lineup. If Martin is done, I agree, don't play him. I agree give the younger guys more shots than in the past, but over the course of the season, play the guy that gives the best chance of success. You can find out what a guy can do on 10 carries a game. We all knew what Lamont could do. They practice all week, all preseason. For the most part they know what they can do. Play the best player. If it's Martin or somebody else.

listen sparky,, i didnt say sit a 'star',,i said a workable,, that means average,,so if u assume we arent a playoff team this year , which i do, then i said if he is just average thi syear , then go ahead and see if one of the kids can shine,, thats all,,

of course i wouldnt sit a allpro runner,, but guess what , that dog is done huntin

I forgot, you're delusional enough to think the Pat's could have won it last year. We can bash Herm all we want, but one thing he said that was correct is that you play to win the game. No other reason to play. Any coach or player that doesn't try to win should be out the door.

thats absurd, u r takin it too literally,,

if your team is horrid and rebuilding and is sittin on a 2-6 record,u sit a vet who is marginally better than a youngster who you have plans for many years,, you get the kid the experience so he is experienced when u r a playoff team in a year or two,,

if on the other hand the jets start out hot and are in a playoff hunt this year , then sure,, play the vet until its clear you wont be makin playoffs,,

thats absurd, u r takin it too literally,,

if your team is horrid and rebuilding and is sittin on a 2-6 record,u sit a vet who is marginally better than a youngster who you have plans for many years,, you get the kid the experience so he is experienced when u r a playoff team in a year or two,,

if on the other hand the jets start out hot and are in a playoff hunt this year , then sure,, play the vet until its clear you wont be makin playoffs,,

I was responding to a quote that said that we should play another back EVEN IF IT COST US THREE WINS for the season. Tex jumped in claiming we should play for the draft pick. Why? Brady was a 6th rounder. Sure if the season is in the pot you play the youth. There is no reason not to start out with Martin. If he sucks, play the youth. If the team sucks, play the youth more, but the way RBs are in this league there is no gaurantee that if say Houston steps up he'll still be around or healthy the year after. Play the best players and season the youth. Don't sit the best RB because he won't be here next time we're good. The way the league is you never know.

???

If we're competitive &/or have a shot at the post-season, even in a rebuilding year, you play your best players. Once the season is "over" you play your future/youth, particularly at skill positions with high injury potential - even if they don't end up as the next starter, you need to know if they're viable #2's or not. And if starting players that may hurt us in the short run makes us END UP at 3-13 instead of 6-10, then so be it.

I don't think anyone is saying to bench this veteran or that starting in game 1 b/c we're rebuilding & that's that. Game 1 is a new season & any team can surprise - particularly one so young like the Jets.

If 2 guys (at HB) are neck & nec in preseason, then they should split the carries & whoever does better in the real games gets the bulk of the work.

???

If we're competitive &/or have a shot at the post-season, even in a rebuilding year, you play your best players. Once the season is "over" you play your future/youth, particularly at skill positions with high injury potential - even if they don't end up as the next starter, you need to know if they're viable #2's or not. And if starting players that may hurt us in the short run makes us END UP at 3-13 instead of 6-10, then so be it.

I don't think anyone is saying to bench this veteran or that starting in game 1 b/c we're rebuilding & that's that. Game 1 is a new season & any team can surprise - particularly one so young like the Jets.

If 2 guys (at HB) are neck & nec in preseason, then they should split the carries & whoever does better in the real games gets the bulk of the work.

I can agree with everything you are saying, but I disagree that people didn't say bench this veteran (Curtis Martin) because we're rebuilding. My point exactly is "if they are neck and neck in preseason." You can learn a ton from preseason and practice. There is no reason to throw games to see if a guy will be a viable #2 back. Sure give the youth more carries, but that doesn't go with the whole give up on Curtis thread.

that is my gut - to bench Curtis. That being said, if everyone in camp is so horrible, then obviously you have no choice. I believe this will be a rebuilding season that's painful to watch at times. That doesn't mean you treat the 16 regular season games like a 4-month team tryout though.

Archived