Ranking the running backs, team by team (oh God)

SoFlaJets

here's proof.....even with an old,atrocious,slow and overweight OL

10/16/05 @BUF L 17-27 18 148 8.2 49 1

Actually, that IS proof. Everyone here saw that game & you know that it came on two runs through GIANT holes that Ron Dayne would've had little trouble taking all the way to the house. Curtis got caught on both of them. Our OL was all of those things last year. But they gave Curtis more than he took advantage of. If not for those two mammoth holes in the same game (which we lost anyway, in part b/c Curtis was too slow to score when the opportunity was there), he otherwise averaged UNDER 3 ypc.

Meant to add that I meant otherwise under 3 ypc for the ENTIRE SEASON.

Not to mention, it's not like Buffalo's rush D was any good anyway. I think they were like the #31 rush D last year in each of: yards, ypc, and TD's surrendered.

SoFla, its funny you use that game as an example because it was that game that reminded me how badly we need a game breaking running back. That game allowed Curtis two of his biggest runs of the season and on each play, he had a hole wider than Courtney Love to run through, nobody in front of him, and on both occassions he was caught from behind. I honestly have a hard time thinking of many starting backs in the NFL that wouldn't have taken both those carries to the end zone. No doubt in my mind any of the other three backs on the jets roster this year would have scored on those plays. Curtis is a nice RB and might be the nicest guy in the NFL. I hope the Jets find a way to keep him on their payroll in some capacity for years to come. That being said, I can live with the CS giving him a shot to play but if he has lost even a half a step from what he was last year, he's no longer a starting caliber NFL RB IMO.

:cheers:

Hey SJ if Curtis ( or anyone) can't cut the mustard so to speak I have confidence that Mangini (unlike his predecessor) WILL do what's right and put the best player in there-no matter who he is or what position he plays

:cheers: I think so too. Let's hope. :cheers:

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20050114ap_cmartinPJ_230.jpg

I'll prove all of JetNation wrong.

1,200 for me in 06.

I hope you're right, but I just don't see it....I'd rather see what Cedric Houston can do. If he's a capable back you use him to wear down defenses with his running style, use Blaylock and Martin as 3rd down backs with Leon Washington getting some change of pace carries since he's the most explosive player the Jets have on offense.

I just love how Jet fans supprt their arguements using one friggn game as an example.

What about his games against the Bills (19 carries for 67 yards) and and the Pats (13 carries for 33 yards) last year?

I love how douchebags like to make Curtis to be over the hill, based on the fact we had Brooks Bollinger as our QB, and probably the worst OLine I have ever seen assembled.

Nice overall thought process

I love how douchebags like to make Curtis to be over the hill, based on the fact we had Brooks Bollinger as our QB, and probably the worst OLine I have ever seen assembled.

jonE. He's 33 yrs old how much longer do you think he has it? Based on his most recent season he is probably the worst starting runner in the NFL. Or at least he was last season. As soon as they put Houston in last year, our running game actually showed alittle bit of life.

This is his last year as a Jet.

jonE. He's 33 yrs old how much longer do you think he has it? Based on his most recent season he is probably the worst starting runner in the NFL. Or at least he was last season. As soon as they put Houston in last year, our running game actually showed alittle bit of life.

This is his last year as a Jet.

agree,,

some people see sports thru Video game eyes and dont get the fact of age, injury etc

and a coach that announced his gameplan to the world that going forward the team had given up and now he,Herman Edwards was most concerned about getting CM the record for most consecutive 1000 yard seasons

Heimerdinger too bears some of the blame IMO-never trying to stretch the field when LBers and DBs were creeping up with only one objective-stopping Martin-there WERE no holes to run through

again Tex uses a blanket statement without looking at what was really going on with the team last year...

Put your $$$ where your mouth is SJ

$1000 he breaks 500 yards

$500 he breaks 1000 yards

No, that is not in v-chips

I'd say that first one is a safe bet Jon-if I were a betting man (perhaps the only vice I've never had)

again Tex uses a blanket statement without looking at what was really going on with the team last year...

Tex really has no clue of what the game of football is about

it's all about bashing the Jets...and the funny thing is that most posters on here find him funny

I on the other hand find him to be pathetic

I'd say that first one is a safe bet Jon-if I were a betting man (perhaps the only vice I've never had)

He put the over under # out there of 500 yards

So I have decided to see if he is willing to bet me with something other than video $$$$

He put the over under # out there of 500 yards

So I have decided to see if he is willing to bet me with something other than video $$$$

I had to come up with a number,,

I think he will be under due to injury, ,if he is healthy he shatters it,,

maybe 750 would have been better,, but calm down,, I personally would be thrilled if he get sit as it means the OLine is doin great..

If I bet on every thread I put up I would lose at least 50% of time :P

Just like I wouldnt bet on Mets havin more wins than Yanks,,, its just for fun,,

I dont bet ,, ruins the fun,,

I actually quit Fantasy football cause I was rootin for people to do good vs Jets when I had em.,,I said 'This is nuts'..no more,,have enjoyed the games so much more since I quit,,,

I just have this wierd feelin CM is gonna have some injury problems this year,,

I had to come up with a number,,

I think he will be under due to injury, ,if he is healthy he shatters it,,

maybe 750 would have been better,, but calm down,, I personally would be thrilled if he get sit as it means the OLine is doin great..

If I bet on every thread I put up I would lose at least 50% of time :P

Just like I wouldnt bet on Mets havin more wins than Yanks,,, its just for fun,,

I dont bet ,, ruins the fun,,

I actually quit Fantasy football cause I was rootin for people to do good vs Jets when I had em.,,I said 'This is nuts'..no more,,have enjoyed the games so much more since I quit,,,

I just have this wierd feelin CM is gonna have some injury problems this year,,

gotcha:cheers:

I think I write this around once a month-

Curtis Martin is 33 going on 34.

The only RBs in NFL history to rush for 1000 at this age were Payton, Emmitt Smith, Franco Harris and Riggins, who did it again the next year. And after those years, all of these guys were at the end.All of them save Riggins barely got there and Riggins,again, was a freak who ran over people, not Martin's game at all, who also had 2 years off midcareer due to strikes and holdouts. All were at the end of the line. Priest Holmes, Eddie George, Marshall Faulk and Jerome Bettis are all about the same age, and they're either retired or done. The wear and tear catches up with all of them.

Simply,Martin isn't as good as any of the above.Last year he went down on first contact, and he had no speed through the hole. He has never run over people like Riggins, or muscled them like Harris, Smith or Payton. Frankly he's had some good games, but I'm not sure he's a HoFer, though if it's all number he gets in(if Eric Dickerson is in the HOF, what ever). No matter-most HoF RBs were retired at this age. I'm getting little annoyed with the cluelessness of "Martin's a warrior!" without any meaningful explanation how he will outperform similar RBs at the same age who he's not better than. Again, for him to get 1000, it would be historic and statistically highly unlikely.

Older backs get hurt. The injuries aren't a question, they're a given. I'm pretty certain that the new bunch understand this, as well as how running figures into a team's offense as delineated by Spermie. A fine job.

Again, if you wish to sound silly with the "Martin's a warrior!", go ahead and wishfully dream on. But we'll be back to reality when the season starts.

I think I write this around once a month-

Curtis Martin is 33 going on 34.

The only RBs in NFL history to rush for 1000 at this age were Payton, Emmitt Smith, Franco Harris and Riggins, who did it again the next year. And after those years, all of these guys were at the end.All of them save Riggins barely got there and Riggins,again, was a freak who ran over people, not Martin's game at all, who also had 2 years off midcareer due to strikes and holdouts. All were at the end of the line. Priest Holmes, Eddie George, Marshall Faulk and Jerome Bettis are all about the same age, and they're either retired or done. The wear and tear catches up with all of them.

Simply,Martin isn't as good as any of the above.Last year he went down on first contact, and he had no speed through the hole. He has never run over people like Riggins, or muscled them like Harris, Smith or Payton. Frankly he's had some good games, but I'm not sure he's a HoFer, though if it's all number he gets in(if Eric Dickerson is in the HOF, what ever). No matter-most HoF RBs were retired at this age. I'm getting little annoyed with the cluelessness of "Martin's a warrior!" without any meaningful explanation how he will outperform similar RBs at the same age who he's not better than. Again, for him to get 1000, it would be historic and statistically highly unlikely.

Older backs get hurt. The injuries aren't a question, they're a given. I'm pretty certain that the new bunch understand this, as well as how running figures into a team's offense as delineated by Spermie. A fine job.

Again, if you wish to sound silly with the "Martin's a warrior!", go ahead and wishfully dream on. But we'll be back to reality when the season starts.

POTW nom

All of you who bash Martin now and want him to cut down his work load, were you the same one's chanting "Run Curtis Run" in 2004? Were you the same ones with Martin jerseys since 98? Some of you make me sick. Talk **** about our noodle armed QB but not at the 4th all time leading rusher. F'ing pathetic if you ask me.

This thread is horse**** and people full of horse****.

All of you who bash Martin now and want him to cut down his work load, were you the same one's chanting "Run Curtis Run" in 2004? Were you the same ones with Martin jerseys since 98? Some of you make me sick. Talk **** about our noodle armed QB but not at the 4th all time leading rusher. F'ing pathetic if you ask me.

I was also rootin for my 76 Volare to keep pluggin away, but at somepoint no matter how much you love something you realize its seen better days and its not the best long-term solution anymore

Are we rooting for this team to go far into the postseason and someday win a super Bowl, or are we rooting for "nice guys" like Pennington and Martin to have great seasons? To paraphrase Billy Martin, if Satan and Hitler could run and pass, they start over who ever the nice guy in front of them is.

Martin's done.I'm willing to see given his cap number that there may be a place for him as a 3rd down passing threat. But as feature back, he's done. And elt's be honest-spare that one Jacksonville playoff game, in games that really mattered he wasn't so wonderful here. And also, the wave of the future is RB by committee, which is why Shaun Alexander is back in Seattle without a bigger pile of money. And for you Hermaphrodites, the Pennington and Martin contracts are pieces of stone on the jets cap. Did Bradway and Edwards bother to look at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ before they started blathering about warriors?

You can pretend otherwise or go in the corner and cover your eyes and ears like a 4-year old, but it doesn't change reality. When this team is really competitive again, Martin is more likely to be wearing a blazer in the broadcast booth than in uniform. Can we fidn out what else we have?

Are we rooting for this team to go far into the postseason and someday win a super Bowl, or are we rooting for "nice guys" like Pennington and Martin to have great seasons? To paraphrase Billy Martin, if Satan and Hitler could run and pass, they start over who ever the nice guy in front of them is.

Martin's done.I'm willing to see given his cap number that there may be a place for him as a 3rd down passing threat. But as feature back, he's done. And elt's be honest-spare that one Jacksonville playoff gamew, in games that really mattered he wasn't so wonderful here. And also, the wave of the future is RB by committee, which is why Shaun Alexander is back in Seattle without a bigger pile of money. And for you Hermaphrodites, the Penningtona dn martin contracts are pieces of stone on the jets cap. Did Bradway and Edwards bother to look at http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ before they started blathering about warriors?

You can pretend otherwise or go in the corner and cover your eyes and ears like a 4-year old, but it doesn't change reality. When this team is really competitive again, Martin is more likely to be wearing a blazer in the broadcast booth than in uniform. Can we fidn out what else we have?

I have no desire to go 6-10 with a workable CM when I can go 3-13 and also at same time see if I have a future starter in what is in Jets RB stable other than CM..

Buggs idea of CM as a 3rd down change of pace back is fine,, actually a great idea as CM's lack of speed will not be as noticeable if he has ball on outside after a flare pass,, he just cant get thru the holes quick enough anymore to be a 25 carry a game back

Correct me if I am wrong but WTF did Curtis Martin ever do for us in the playoffs? Did he ever carry us to a big playoff win? A superbowl?

No. So who gives a f#ck about his stupid 1,000 yard streak.

1,000 yards in a 16 game schedule is nothing. 1,000 was the benchmark for a good back when it was a 12 game schedule, not 16.

yea that's pretty much the reason I posted it because it IS manure.All I know is this;I want the best guys playing week to week I don't care if he's a vet,rookie,or an undrafted FA- if he looks better than the guy or guys ahead of him THAT'S the person I want to see playing this year for the Jets.No loyalties to anybody,no favoritism to this vet or that.The good news is Mangini said that's what he IS going to do.

You know hopefully we don't have another case of Herman Edwards-ism where he SAYS "oh Lamont Jordan will get 10 carries a game" and then never sees the ball for a month-THAT to this Jets fan is totally unacceptable anymore

You're eager to see in what we have with Washington, Blaylock and Houston? The 3 of them put together can't hold Martin's jockstrap. Have fun cheering on your second tier career back-up boys. Until we get a 1st round running back who has the potential to be great like Micahel Bush or Adrian Peterson, this team needs too and should stay with Curtis Martin.

Correct me if I am wrong but WTF did Curtis Martin ever do for us in the playoffs? Did he ever carry us to a big playoff win? A superbowl?

No. So who gives a f#ck about his stupid 1,000 yard streak.

1,000 yards in a 16 game schedule is nothing. 1,000 was the benchmark for a good back when it was a 12 game schedule, not 16.

it always boggles me that more people dont realize that

You're eager to see in what we have with Washington, Blaylock and Houston? The 3 of them put together can't hold Martin's jockstrap. Have fun cheering on your second tier career back-up boys. Until we get a 1st round running back who has the potential to be great like Micahel Bush or Adrian Peterson, this team needs too and should stay with Curtis Martin.

u never know till u try,,,

it aint gonna hurt, this team aint go to playoffs regardless,,

if CM is smokin in beginning of season go for it,,

I have said all along, start CM and see what he brings to table in first 4 to 6 games,, re-evaulate after that

We know what we have with Curtis Martin. Old, slow and weak.

We dont really know what we have with Houston, Washington or even Blaylock. Give them a chance to start if Martin doesnt do any good.

I've seen grandpas in old age homes running faster with their walkers than Curtis Martin attempting to burst thru a hole.

Who cares Barton? Hmmm. Because oh I don't know because ONLY BARRY SANDERS IS THE ONLY OTHER PERSON TO START HIS CAREER WITH 10 STRAIGHT 1,000 + RUSHING SEASONS. Maybe that's why everyone freakin' cares.

F all of you who bash him and have bought one piece of Martin apparel. Throw it out because you don't deserve to don it.

Who cares Barton? Hmmm. Because oh I don't know because ONLY BARRY SANDERS IS THE ONLY OTHER PERSON TO START HIS CAREER WITH 10 STRAIGHT 1,000 + RUSHING SEASONS. Maybe that's why everyone freakin' cares.

F all of you who bash him and have bought one piece of Martin apparel. Throw it out because you don't deserve to don it.

I respect your loyality to CM,,

but what does the Sanders comment have to do with the 2006 and beyond NY Jets. Hopefully you arent saying we should start players based on past results? This is the pros, loyality and past records mean squat, and rightfully so.

We are not gonna get 3 extra possesions cause CM was once a great back,,

we arent gonna have to only get 8 yards instead of 10 to get a 1st down, out of respect to CMs past..

If he can do it fine, but in week 4 thru 6 if it looks like it isnt gettin done (I think he was near last in 2005 in stats in NFL for Yards per carry) it should be shutdown time...

http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2005/regular

Did I say he wasnt durable?

He was a great set of tires but unfortunately those tires were on a chevy nova instead of a sports car.

124-did I say that I'd rather see Blaylock,Houston,Washington or even Nick Hartigan?

No-re-read my post what I said was I want the best guy playing REGARDLESS of WHO he is or WHAT his credentials might be.

That being said,the role I think CM could best fit into is the same one that KC used Marcus Allen played in HIS last couple of years.

Martin is an excellent pass catcher out of the backfield and just as good a blocker-in case he's needed.IMO he would be a good option for us as a 3rd down back.

I love what Curtis has given this team-both on and off the field and am in no way writing him off as a has-been like a lot of other guys around the boards who just look at numbers like age and poor YPC avg.Last year was no measuring stick of this team now-I believe that-and like I said not enough do.

Archived