Grade the 24 Jets Draft

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

B+

Loved the Olu, Corley, Allen, and Travis picks. Davis, Stiggers, and Key were met but admittedly I don't know as much on them.

I think the JFM trade was a handshake agreement with the Broncos so they'd take Zach so we'd save face on that trade and their base would be happy with the JFM deal.

The Zach Wilson conspiracies continue!!!

• Haha 3

after all is said and done I like it...addressed needs and added situational players later (and future picks) that will help the team. This tells me JD is secure and if he's not he is still taking the approach to make the team as good as possible without self concern.  I cant help but think that the Jets have there best GM in memory firmly in place.

A

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Top 2 Picks - A. 

As good as could likely be done.  Addressed the two glaring massive needs for 2024.

The Rest of the picks - D

Only the "Big Bruiser RB" makes any real sense to me.

Allen is probably going to be rb2.  Think of how gb did it with Dillon and jones. So Corley and allen probably play right away and Fashanu will get reps at both tackle spots as they incorporate him into games esp. at the end if they’re winning.  Rounds 5-7 are not much different from priority free agents and some of those guys usually overtake draft picks anyway

• Upvote 1

I give it a B+. 

-Olu was a great pick.

-Corley was a solid pick but lets see what caliber of player he develops into. This was a draft where JD needed to walk away with a stud WR because of the depth at the position. Let's see if Corley ends up being a true playmaker/weapon or just a contributor/depth piece.

-We drafted two RBs, a CB and a QB the rest of the way. With Key-S as MR. Irrelevant.

It's unfortunate that Izzy seems to be on the outs. I like both RBs but using two 5th round draft picks on #2 and #3 guys is hard to swallow. At least one of the guys he took, Allen,  happened to be one of my favorite RBs in the draft.  

Stiggers is fine but were addressing a strength on the team. Some are suggesting we will move him to Safety. Maybe. But I doubt it. This is a CB pick. This is a developmental pick for when our secondary starts hitting FA and we can't keep everyone, which is soon. And for the record, I like this prospect. But not representative of an 'all in' mentality. IMO. 

I have mixed feelings on Travis. I don't mind that the Jets took a QB in Rd. 5. In fact, I love it. And JD pretty much told everyone he was going to do it. But when I think of a developmental QB in the later rounds I look for a prospect with top end measurables where everything else might need work. Joe Milton is a better example of that. Jordan Travis is not that. Doesn't have the strongest arm, far from elite size, but has great intangibles. He is definitely the better QB to have if both Rodgers and Taylor go down, but probably not the best QB to plan to develop in the next 2-3 years. Again, as much as I like the prospect. Given that JD passed on Rattler, Pratt, Slovis, Reed, etc. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he did his due diligence and really wanted this kid. 

Mr. Irrelevant is just that. JD could have taken just about anyone and I would have no qualms. 

-We did not add a S (maybe unfair but I'm not counting Key). This only bothers me because there were so many quality prospects in the 4th and 5th round. Instead we traded down and addressed other positions. 

-We only took one O-lineman. I am assuming JD will sign more O-line depth in FA? I dunno. But I was hoping for at least a G/T or C/G at some point in this draft to compete with the interior depth we currently have. Unlike what some have suggested - Olu will not be playing Guard! 

-We only took one WR in this loaded class. Disclaimer: Our WR depth is solid so we don't have a ton of room for rookies. But JD had to get it right at WR. I felt like if he did not take one at 10/11, he should strongly consider double dipping to at least hit on one. I've already mentioned this above when talking about Corley. 

Overall:

The Jets offense will pound you into submission, methodically moving the chains and their defense will keep you to under 20 points a game. At least that appears to be the plan. And this draft fortified a lot of depth to make sure they can execute that gameplan. They addressed the most critical needs at the top of the draft with Olu and Corley. And both players serve as potential future pieces once Rodgers is no longer with the team. The few criticisms above is what keeps this from an A or A+ draft. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

JD gets a B on this one. A couple of "safe" picks in Fashanu and Corley. I'm a big fan of drafting RBs with mid/late round picks but would have selected Jaylen Wright at 111 instead of Allen at 134.

This is now five running backs he's added to the room since he gotten here, and the results haven't been great outside of Breece. I also don't know how you eave this draft without drafting an interior offensive linemen. The depth there is questionable at best, and there is nobody I feel great about should Simpson or AVT go down.

I think the plan is to have Fashanu be a jack-of-all-trades and next man up at OT/OG should there be an injury. But I would have added to the pipeline with one of the many mid-round picks they had at their disposal. 

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

JD gets a B on this one. A couple of "safe" picks in Fashanu and Corley. I'm a big fan of drafting RBs with mid/late round picks but would have selected Jaylen Wright at 111 instead of Allen at 134.

This is now five running backs he's added to the room since he gotten here, and the results haven't been great outside of Breece. I also don't know how you eave this draft without drafting an interior offensive linemen. The depth there is questionable at best, and there is nobody I feel great about should Simpson or AVT go down.

I think the plan is to have Fashanu be a jack-of-all-trades and next man up at OT/OG should there be an injury. But I would have added to the pipeline with one of the many mid-round picks they had at their disposal. 

The IOL worries me as well, and i don’t know what real depth they have there.  

Guys, heres a pretty smart offensive mind who just drafted the 6th rb for his team.  Can we stop this nonsense on why we drafted 2 rcmbs.

We needed them!!!!!!!!

we only had 2 on the roster:

The Dolphins had five running backs on the roster this morning. They added a sixth in round four — Tennessee speedster Jaylen Wright.

What does the presence of Raheem Mostert, De’Von Achane, Salvon Ahmed, Jeff Wilson Jr., Chris Brooks, and Wright mean for the position?

“I think all players benefit,” coach Mike McDaniel told reporters on Saturday. “There’s supreme urgency to do right with the ball if you deserve to have it. Yeah, the competition is fierce. I’m fired up because we have a group of competitors that will satisfy the thirst for them. It will be fierce. Depth comes into question each and every year, so you’re always looking for a full roster.”

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Bawden was on the field for 13% of the offensive snaps last season -- those will go to Braelon Allen. Bawden was on the field for 67% of special teams snaps -- those will go to Isaiah Davis.

Izzy, I believe, will be on the PS or be on the team as the 4th RB. 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Bawden was on the field for 13% of the offensive snaps last season -- those will go to Braelon Allen. Bawden was on the field for 67% of special teams snaps -- those will go to Isaiah Davis.

Izzy, I believe, will be on the PS or be on the team as the 4th RB. 

I agree, in retrospect I think many of us as fans liked Izzy much more than the coaching staff.

• Upvote 2

Liked the Fashanu pick. Not only for injury insurance, but for 2025 and beyond.

Corley, not so much.  Yes, lots of YAC in college, but the guys in the MAC he's running over and away from are not the guys who will be tackling him in the NFL.  BTW, his average reception length is 6.9 yards. Not exactly a field stretcher. 

Love Allen for a RB2, short yardage guy. They needed a bigger back.

Liked Travis. They needed a 3rd QB they can develop, and this guy is a leader and a winner. It remains to be seen if this staff knows how to develop a QB however.

Rest of the picks are ST fodder.

I give them a C and I'll raise it to a B if Corley works out.

• Upvote 1

I'll give it a B.

I LOVE the OLU and Corley picks. Need and value.

I really like the Allen pick (even though I wanted the Tenn RB) and the Travis pick (even though I preferred Pratt). Again, needs and value.

Stiggers was shocking because he didn't play college ball, but his CFL tape is impressive and it is a great story. Seems to me that he can be a CB or S.

Davis I'm still not sure about. As @Joe W. Namath said, we only had a lot of questions at the position after Breece. I also think the new kickoff/kick return rules may have played into this. Still need more than 4 going into camp to take reps in practice and pre-season games. Also, as someone mentioned, Breece is in year 3 of a 4 year rookie contract. JD may be keeping his eye on 2025 with these moves.

Saleh said Key will be a safety even though listed as a CB on most sites. It was a position we all thought needed to be addressed. TBD if he contributes.

A couple of other big picture thoughts:

JFM trade was a salary dump. Looks like JD is trying to replace him with the UDFAs we signed

I know a lot of people wanted us to take an IOL. I wasn't necessarily one of them. If you listen to JD & Saleh's post draft presser, they mention that a lot of young guys got playing time last year due to injuries. If you look @Sarge4Tide's updated roster, we currently have 15 o-linemen. I think the staff likes guys like Schweitzer, Newman & Hanson as IOL depth. Mitchell (if he makes the team) also has experience inside.

I did think JD got too cute with the trade-backs in round 4 and then trading back into round 5. JD did mention in the presser that their list of players they were interested in started to get blown up later in the draft. Sounds like they thought they had a good list of players they liked that would be available in the 5th and 6th but those players may have been scooped up quickly and they were left scrambling.

I also think salary cap played into trading back from the 4th. We're going to have a lot of players coming up for extensions and/or new deals that are core players. Maybe JD was trying to save as much $ as possible again with an eye on 2025 by drafting guys at lower slots.

• Upvote 1

C+. 1st pick would have been better if a WR dropped but he didn’t draft a TE at 10/11 and made the correct/smart pick. Nothing special about the rest of the draft. At least the 3rd was a WR but too much moving around without anything to really show for it. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

Only the "Big Bruiser RB" makes any real sense to me.

Then you should be super excited that we took two of them! 

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

Jordan Travis is not that. Doesn't have the strongest arm, far from elite size, but has great intangibles. He is definitely the better QB to have if both Rodgers and Taylor go down, but probably not the best QB to plan to develop in the next 2-3 years.

I am dead neutral on this pick. I think it’s silly to think you’re actually going to develop a fifth round QB into a FQB. I think the goal with these later guys is hoping they become competent backups, maybe show something along the way, so that someone wants to throw you a higher pick than you spent on him down the road. Or have your backup for years. 

15 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

I also think salary cap played into trading back from the 4th. We're going to have a lot of players coming up for extensions and/or new deals that are core players. Maybe JD was trying to save as much $ as possible again with an eye on 2025 by drafting guys at lower slots.

There really aren’t any money considerations once you get to day three. Top pick in the fourth round last year signed a four year, $4.6M contract with the only guarantee being an $800K signing bonus. It was all about the perceived value on the board vs. getting more darts to throw at it, imho. Trading for the 2025 third rounder was top shelf value. 

• Upvote 2

B-

Missing out on the elite WRs dings it for me and Corley seems more like a gadget guy than a polished route runner. Love the Fashanu pick and I like Allen as our power back. Wanted a late round developmental QB so that’s good. Everything else is fodder.

• Upvote 2

Round 1: A I think getting the extra capital makes this a really good round.

Day 2: B Going WR was the obvious choice and he did.

Day 3: D+ He made things way too complicated for himself.

I give more weight towards the early rounds. So, in total I would give his draft a B+

• Upvote 2