Is Chad Pennington Today

Warfish

Kenny O'Brien threw a beautiful ball.

I watched the reply on NFL channel of the Jets-Phins shootout and some of O'Brien's throws that day were phenominal.

No doubt, all you have to do to see the difference, imo, is look at the yardage totals, Kenny O had more total yards in 3 years (41 games) than Pennington had in 5 years (45 games). Kenny O flung the rock big time back then, too bad Walton was an idiot and Gastineu regularly brain farted.

No doubt, all you have to do to see the difference, imo, is look at the yardage totals, Kenny O had more total yards in 3 years (41 games) than Pennington had in 5 years (45 games). Kenny O flung the rock big time back then, too bad Walton was an idiot and Gastineu regularly brain farted.

Why do you say Walton was an idiot?

I thought the offense that he ran back then suited O'Brien perfectly.

That was a pretty good vertical offense in the day.

actually u are almost right TX,,

i saw a stat years ago that under the walton regime the Jets actually had the lead in 70% of games at halftime,,

the guy was a very good offensive coordintor and strategist,,

but the problem was he couldnt adjust on the fly,, he did a great job durin week comin up with gameplan and gettin out to a lead,, but he was either too stupid or too stubborn to adjust as defesne figured scheme out,,

You're right TX, the offense they ran was very well suited to Kenny O's abilities. It's just that, as SJ pointed out, there never seemed to be any in-game adjustments on defense. When the other team would start to take command of the game it was almost always the end for that game.

Offensively they always came out swinging, I forget how many damn points we used to put on the board!

actually u are almost right TX,,

i saw a sata years ago that under the walton regime the Jets actually had the lead in 70% of games,,

the guy was a very good offensive coordintor and startegist,,

but the problem was he couldnt adjust on the fly,, he did a great job durin week comin up with gameplan and gettin out to a lead,, but he was either too stupid or too stubborn to adjust as defesne figured scheme out,,

That's a good point SJ. Obviously my memory is not as good as yours when it comes to Walton.

But that was a pretty high-powered passing game, but when HC's don't have the ability to make in-game adjustments, the person that usually gets screwed the most is the QB.

Ken O'Brien had a bigger arm than Pennington. Neither would hurt you with INTs. O'Brien had trouble avoiding the rush and was likely to eat the ball. Not a brittle guy though.

Walton was a terrible head coach, but he was a good offensive mind. They made him the coach because they were worried about losing him as offensive coordinator. Fired Walt Michaels after a playoff season I believe. To say he's the only guy who was as big a buffoon as Herm forgets Kotite.

Walton was the 80's version of Mike Martz. Good offensive coordinator, poor leader of men.

Those Jet teams in the 80's should have won a Championship.

Ken O'Brien was a great QB. he was saddled with a bad coach and a horrendous offensive line. His only downside was holding onto the ball too long. He had a very good arm and was extremely accurate. Chad, for a good majority of his career, had one of the best OL's in the league. Yes he was saddled by a terrible HC, but the offensive gameplan in terms of passing the ball was in place to suit his abilities. There were no 15 yard outs or slants in Chad's playbook simply because it was too dangerous to have him try to make those throws. there were no "off limit" passes in O'Brien's repertoir. Herm's influence was to run the ball far too often, Hackett's influence was to control the passing game and keep the routes short. Hackett had an amazing playbook, but between his lack of imagination to use his playbook during the game, Herm's stubborn determination to run the ball excessively, and Chad's limitations in ability to throw the ball we ended up with a very limited offense. All in all, I'd take O'Brien with Chad's team over chad any day of the week.

Good to see you here more often Warfish.

How O'Brien was able to get up after being treated like a crash test dummy, is beyond me. Set the record for most sacks in a season, and he would just get up, and go to work.

The guys here are 100% right. O Brien threw a beautiful deep ball. Wind, no wind, didn't matter. Just watch that 51-45 OT win over Miami and you can see how nice an arm O Brien had, and what sweet touch he placed on the ball.

He threw bombs. Passes that dropped into his receivers arms, full stride. He didn't have those cheap tds, the one's where you throw a dump off, or slant, and the receiver does all the work, on his way to a long score.

Pennington? Fragile. A doughman. I hope he's fine, but why do I have the feeling he'll get hurt in week one or two? Hell, maybe he gets hurt in preseason....

Joe Walton got ultra conservative when the game got close. Some of the play calling was mind boggling. I remember screaming for his head (Joe must go) every time he called one of his patented 3rd and ten draw plays. He was at his peak as a coordinator. The burden of being the head coach ruined him.

Archived