How does a guy like Willie Parker not get drafted?

Matt39

i do think he is a good running back and don't understand how he wasn't drafted...

but...built like a linebacker? he is listed at 5-10, 209 lbs? and im sure that is being generous?

Ehh, maybe I'm exxagerating a little. He looks like he has better than average size for a running back with speed.

easy to say in hindsight why?

before the draft he looks like JAG

why didn't Priest Holmes get drafted? Why did Brady last until the 6th round?

the draft is an uncertain process with unpredictable variables - it makes grown men who are leaders of multi-million dollar companies look like idiots every single year

because in college at Carolina he had horrific fumble-itis and never ran the play that was called.. had run-in with coach and those three facets put him on the bench,,

he was a backup and therefore didnt get drafted...

--------------------------

All was good in "Fast" Willie's world back then, especially when Carolina coach Carl Torbush handed him a scholarship.

"I was happy for the time being, but ..." Parker said.

This is where the legend of "Fast" Willie took a lengthy detour.

First, Torbush was replaced by John Bunting after Parker's freshman year, a year in which Parker ran for 355 yards on 84 carries. The Bunting-Parker pairing was the worst since Mike Tyson and Robyn Givens.

Bunting wanted Parker to gain weight and become more of a power back. Parker, who was 200 pounds at the time, wanted nothing to do with Bunting's plan.

"He said to me, 'If Willie ain't going to do it, it's my way or Willie's going to hit the highway,' " Parker said of a conversation he had with Bunting.

Parker would never carry more than 83 times in each of his final three seasons, despite opening the year as a starter in his sophomore and junior seasons.

Andre Powell, the running backs coach at UNC, arrived at Chapel Hill with Bunting in 2001. He offered some thoughts on Parker's unfulfilling college career.

"In retrospect, we probably could have done some things differently with Willie," Powell said Monday. "But we were trying to develop our own style. When we got there, North Carolina was a finesse team, but we were bound and determined to be a (physical) running team. We wanted things done a certain way. We have more 1,000-yard rushers in our history than any other program. We hadn't had one since 1997. We wanted to get back to that."

Parker, though, never bought into the new staff's power-ball philosophy.

"For whatever reason, we never could get on the same page," said Powell, who helped mentor Tiki Barber at the University of Virginia. "But we have a lot of respect for Willie here. In fact, of all the players I've coached, I'm most proud of him.

Parker's father said Willie's problems at UNC went far deeper than a coaching change. Willie's best friend from home was murdered his sophomore year. "He crumbled when he heard that," Willie Sr. said. "The coaches thought they could get him to open up, but they couldn't. He was down for a long time. But through all of this, Willie took everything like a man. He didn't complain about not playing at North Carolina. I'm surprised he didn't leave and go somewhere else. But he held strong, and he's made his way now."

easy to say in hindsight why?

before the draft he looks like JAG

why didn't Priest Holmes get drafted? Why did Brady last until the 6th round?

the draft is an uncertain process with unpredictable variables - it makes grown men who are leaders of multi-million dollar companies look like idiots every single year

Good points.

Who knows who he sat behind because the guy ahead of him had the measurables the colleges and NFL look for.

Also as SJ pointed, players and teams can have differences in opinion on where they should be at.

We have more 1,000-yard rushers in our history than any other program. We hadn't had one since 1997. We wanted to get back to that."

One of the brighter spots of UNC football. Of course I think Ronnie McGill will help that stat for us.

Parker just didn't get the opportunity here he has gotten in Pittsburgh. I hate that it went down that way but also he has emerged now as a star and he deserves every bit of success that comes with it.

I think Julius Peppers would disagree with that...;)

haha,,

I talked to Julius last year on field before Jets/Panthers game,,

people were saying stuff and like all players he was ignoring,, I came up next to him and said 'Wow, I could sure use some Time-Out BBQ right now',,

he turned and smiled and said 'Ya, man,, you got that right'

haha,, It was his favorite latenite eating spot on campus ..and I have heard stories from my two boys who went there and knew him..

arrow_right_header.gifIf you're a UNC student and you like your chicken biscuits at 3am, you've already taken Time-Out.

In Short

If it weren't for this spartan diner located in Chapel Hill's University Square, where would the college contingent go to eat after a bender? Time-Out may be empty during daylight hours, but after 2am, it virtually swells with folks looking to sate the late-night munchies. Deep-fried and butter-coated is Time-Out's timeless formula for success as well as plump pieces of breaded, fried chicken breasts and oversized cheese biscuits.

he's SO much more of an impressive player then brown who is about as unimpressive a 1st round RB as you'll see heh.

Quit being a reverse homer. Just because Ronnie Brown plays for the Dolphins, he sucks, eh?

Dude nearly rushed for 1,000 yards last season on only 207 carries. If the Jets had someone on their roster that did that, we would be hailing him as the second coming of Christ.

I've always been of a similar mindset. It's not much different than the Stock Market on the one hand, betting on horses on the other, regardless of research and computer analysis. And, now that they have thrown computer anyalysis into the Draft mix, I'm glad it isn't panning out the way people pre-supposed. You can't account for quirks and intangibles of the human animal - or MOST animals - no matter the stats or the known psychological profiles or the physical data that's input. Thus far it hasn't turned out to be the indicator assumed. Suits me just fine.

Archived