My source of jealousy in the NFL yesterday

Scott Dierking

My jealousy resided with the Arizona Cardinals. It was not because of the nice team they are building (a pretty good one) or the awesome set of WRs (their trio may match any in NFL history when all is said and done), but it moreso resided in their new home.

The Cardinals played their first game in their new "palace" yesterday, and it was palpable the seeming switch in franchise direction. They played in front of a raucous, partisan home crowd that seemed to spur the team on. The Arizona Cardinals. Raucous crowd. Cheering the Cardinals. Whoever thought that we would be hearing those words connected in the same sentence?

And as a Jet fan, I am left to question if that is an advantage that this franchise will ever get to have as a team. A few points here-I am not a season ticket holder. I was in large favor of this team splitting with the Giants and mortgaging a home themselves. I was not distraught when the announcemnet came down of co-habitation.

But, after that Cardinal display yesterday, I wonder if we are diverting a piece of our franchise that we may never have the ability to re-capture. It has often been said about the Jets that they lack an "identity". That character trait may describe the product on the field more than anything else, but it is actually so much more.

I don't know what point I am trying to make here, which probably irks you as you chose to read this, other than I miss my franchise having that palpable advantage that is described as "home-field advantage". And I don't know, however nice the new digs are told to be, if we ever will have that.

And I do this not to dredge up all the hard feelings that have taken place over the last 18 months over the stadium, but moreso the feelings that I have as a fan.

The Arizona Cardinals. Home field advantage.

Too bad greed, power, and money got in the way.

You can't put a price tag on true home-field advantage. I'm sure that when the Jets take the field in the new co-owned stadium, they will re-gain some of it. At least we won't see "Giants Stadium" staring back at us when we pull into the parking lot.

Scott -- you can actually make the point that the Jets will have MORE of a home field advantage by staying in NJ and splitting a stadium with the Giants.

On game day in NJ it is ALL die hard fans. The common simple man, such as myself, lol. We are proud and loud.

If they built this West Side Stadium it would have been this big corporate event. The PSLs would have been higher in NY and that would have priced many fans out of the game. Replace them with Corporate Big Wigs and what are you left with? A much quieter stadium and one pissed off Eddie A - aka Fireman Ed (pissed that the stadium is quiet).

The Jets need to win. They have a loyal fan base. But the fan base is afraid of getting bit again. They want to believe, history tells them not to.

Scott -- you can actually make the point that the Jets will have MORE of a home field advantage by staying in NJ and splitting a stadium with the Giants.

On game day in NJ it is ALL die hard fans. The common simple man, such as myself, lol. We are proud and loud.

If they built this West Side Stadium it would have been this big corporate event. The PSLs would have been higher in NY and that would have priced many fans out of the game. Replace them with Corporate Big Wigs and what are you left with? A much quieter stadium and one pissed off Eddie A - aka Fireman Ed.

The Jets need to win a bit. They have a loyal fan base. But the fan base is afraid of getting bit again. They want to believe, history tells them not to.

But Max, is it going to be a home that we call our own, where we can put up the pictures, let the dog piddle on the floor, mark our kids' height against the wall, or are we going to be permanenet "guests"?

But Max, is it going to be a home that we call our own, where we can put up the pictures, let the dog piddle on the floor, mark our kids' height against the wall, or are we going to be permanenet "guests"?

By all accounts this is a joint project- no favorites unlike the present Giants Stadium

We will have the same rights to the walls as the Giants. The stadium won't be blue and red. Besides none of that matters when it is 3rd and goal and you are screaming your head off to disrupt the other team on offense and trying to prevent them from scoring.

The other team doesn't think -- haha red seats, what losers. If the stadium is filled and loud the Jets will have a home field advantage.

We will have the same rights to the walls as the Giants. The stadium won't be blue and red. Besides none of that matters when it is 3rd and goal and you are screaming your head off to disrupt the other team on offense and trying to prevent them from scoring.

The other team doesn't think -- haha red seats, what losers. If the stadium is filled and loud the Jets will have a home field advantage.

Max, I think it is psychological more than anything, and I believe it affects fans and affects players.

I don't know if you got to se the Cardinal game yesterday, but it was hard to believe it was the PHOENIX Cardinals you watched yesterday. And this, from a team that had its own stadium (well, they shared it with a college team).

Maybe I am making something out of nothing, and everything will be like that for the Jets. But, I will tell you this-If the Giants get the home opener in that stadium, it will be psycholgically defeating for the Jets and the fans.

Max, I think it is psychological more than anything, and I believe it affects fans and affects players.

I don't know if you got to se the Cardinal game yesterday, but it was hard to believe it was the PHOENIX Cardinals you watched yesterday. And this, from a team that had its own stadium (well, they shared it with a college team).

Maybe I am making something out of nothing, and everything will be like that for the Jets. But, I will tell you this-If the Giants get the home opener in that stadium, it will be psycholgically defeating for the Jets and the fans.

Good point, SD. Don't they alternate who gets the home opener? If that's the case, the Jets get 2007, and more importantly, 2009, when the stadium opens.

Again -- the Jets will soon practice in NJ and play in NJ. I think that will help the players more than having to get on the L.I.E. and got through a bridge or a tunnel on game day.

My jealousy resided with the Arizona Cardinals. It was not because of the nice team they are building (a pretty good one) or the awesome set of WRs (their trio may match any in NFL history when all is said and done), but it moreso resided in their new home.

The Cardinals played their first game in their new "palace" yesterday, and it was palpable the seeming switch in franchise direction. They played in front of a raucous, partisan home crowd that seemed to spur the team on. The Arizona Cardinals. Raucous crowd. Cheering the Cardinals. Whoever thought that we would be hearing those words connected in the same sentence?

And as a Jet fan, I am left to question if that is an advantage that this franchise will ever get to have as a team. A few points here-I am not a season ticket holder. I was in large favor of this team splitting with the Giants and mortgaging a home themselves. I was not distraught when the announcemnet came down of co-habitation.

But, after that Cardinal display yesterday, I wonder if we are diverting a piece of our franchise that we may never have the ability to re-capture. It has often been said about the Jets that they lack an "identity". That character trait may describe the product on the field more than anything else, but it is actually so much more.

I don't know what point I am trying to make here, which probably irks you as you chose to read this, other than I miss my franchise having that palpable advantage that is described as "home-field advantage". And I don't know, however nice the new digs are told to be, if we ever will have that.

And I do this not to dredge up all the hard feelings that have taken place over the last 18 months over the stadium, but moreso the feelings that I have as a fan.

The Arizona Cardinals. Home field advantage.

ya, woody was limp on this one

before we go crazy here...

the stadium in AZ was built essentiall in a desert

the "city of glendale" was nothing but a sand dune until this stadium forced the local municipal gov't to build better infrastructure

the land was dirt cheap

the owner bidwill bought all sorts of wilderness land surrounding the stadium and built developments - huge real estate money

the team is selling season tickets for as low as 10 dollars per ticket to avoid a blackout (a move i actually agree with)

meanwhile the team almost lost to the Niners one of the worst teams in the league and one of the worst defenses bar none

so let's be real

we can talk about building a stadium in AZ but comparing that to building a stadium in NY that's apples and oranges

before we go crazy here...

the stadium in AZ was built essentiall in a desert

the "city of glendale" was nothing but a sand dune until this stadium forced the local municipal gov't to build better infrastructure

the land was dirt cheap

the owner bidwill bought all sorts of wilderness land surrounding the stadium and built developments - huge real estate money

the team is selling season tickets for as low as 10 dollars per ticket to avoid a blackout (a move i actually agree with)

meanwhile the team almost lost to the Niners one of the worst teams in the league and one of the worst defenses bar none

so let's be real

we can talk about building a stadium in AZ but comparing that to building a stadium in NY that's apples and oranges

Bit-I only present it as the ideology and psychology of the whole subject.

One cannot deny that they "manufactured" a rabid fan base through the building of this stadium. It was there to see yesterday.

All of that said, you have to have a substance of a team in order to maintain that energy level.

But make no doubts about it, the Cardinals had an energy and spirit to them yesterday that they have not been seen since Jim Hart was a piece of that franchise. And that precedes any mention of Arizona.

I am just saying I want that for the Jets. Whether we will have that full impact, I can't say for sure. I hope so. But, I think it will be diminshed.

Never mind the mechanics of what it would have taken to get it done. I realize that is a part of it.

I think you're well-intentioned. But for the most part, once the game starts, it really doesn't matter. The West Side thing would have been way to corporate and real fans would've been squeezed out(and they still may be). As long as it's going to be in the Meadowlands, the sooner they move everything else to Florham Park, the better.

Archived