Boston Red Sox report card

Blackout

**** it

C-Jason Veritek - For someone who missed 59 games and only hit .238 in the games he DID play in, Jason Veritek sure proved his value while sitting on the bench. When Jason went down, so did the team. Mirabelli, Lopez, Huckaby etc., nomatter who they tried to replace him with, they failed miserably. Jason's leadership skills and play-calling ability is clearly unmatched by any other catcher that Boston tried to throw out there. However, tha doesn't earn a great grade. C+

1B-Kevin Youkillis: Before the all-star break, Kevin Youkillis (aka Youk) was hitting .297, getting on base at a rate of .407 and slugging at a .467 clip. However, there's a reason why they play the full season instead of stopping halfway. After the AS break, he dipped down to .258/.347/.381. Youk also seemed to benefit greatly from Fenway in 2006, batting 63 points higher at home than on the road. While Youk certainly is a talented player with defensive value beyond just first base, whether or not he'll be able to sustain quality play for a full season in the future is yet to be determined. B-

2B-Mark Loretta: Home: .308/.376/.411 with 21 doubles and 4 home runs in 321 at-bats. Road: .261/.313/.309 with 12 doubles and 1 home run in 314 at-bats. He does deserve credit, he played a good second base all season long and was even selected to the AL all-star team. With that said, he may have done it with smoke and mirrors. C+

SS-Alex Gonzoles: Missed 50 games this year and had an adjusted OPS of 77 (23 points below league average). However, nobody expected him to be an offensive jugaurnaut and he still played solid defense when he was available. C

3B-Mike Lowell: Another case of someone who started off the season extremely hot and ended colder than ice. He hit .318 and .316 the first 2 months of the season, and never hit higher than .281 any other month. His defense was amazing all season long, and it would be a crime if he doesn't earn a gold glove. C+

LF-Manny Ramirez: 35 home runs and 100 RBI in 130 games. Would've been nicer to see him play atleast 150 games, but he still produced. Even lead the team in OPS. B- (would be higher if he played more)

CF-Coco Crisp: Lets just compare his 2006 stats to that of Johnny Damons in 2005. Coco in 06: .264/.317/.385 with 22 doubles, 2 triples, 8 home runs, 36 RBI, 58 runs scored and 22 stolen bases in 105 games. Damon in 05: .316/.366/.439 with 35 doubles, 6 triples, 10 home runs, 75 RBI, 117 runs and 18 stolen bases. Other than stolen bases and injures, there's not a catagory Damon didn't do significantly better in. D

RF-Trot Nixon: His best days are clearly behind him and he's becoming an automatic trip to the DL each year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him somewhere else than Fenway in 2007. D

DH-David Ortiz: Ortiz set career marks in home runs, bases-on-balls, on-base percentage and slugging average. He clearly was the most valuable hitter in this lineup all year long, and his success allowed the rest of his team mates to score alot of runs. Other than Pujols, is there anyone more feared in a close game? A

SP Josh Beckett: For a guy who came into 2006 with a career ERA+ of 115, an intimidating fastball and past experience in Yankee-killing, if I were to tell you Beckett set career highs in innings pitched, wins and games started, you would assume he was a Cy Young lock, right? Well, an ERA of over 5 and 36 home runs allowed will do a lot to chance that. The Red Sox brought him and Lowell in for what was assumed to be a cheap price, a struggling but talented prospect shortstop named Hanley Ramirez, and a relatively unimpressive pitcher named Anibal Sanchez who went on to throw baseballs only no-hitter in 2006. Now, Beckett has plenty of time to prove this trade was worth it in the long run. He won't be going anywhere for awhile with that contract. However, he has to ATLEAST become a solid #2 pitcher. D+

SP Curt Schilling: Pitched just as many innings as Beckett, struck out 25 more batters, had an ERA that was a full run lower and a nifty 15-7 record. He could've done a better job at allowing less hits, bt no Red Sox fan can really complain about the season Dirty Curt had. B

SP Tim Wakefield: At this point, it seems like the only person who HASN'T caught up with Wakefield's knuckleball is whoever is behind the plate catching it. D

SP Jon Lester: For awhile, it was amazing to watch this guy get into so man jams and work his way out of them with minimal damage. Then he finally hit the rookie wall and his luck ran out. It'll be interesting to see if he's able to come back in a few years and pitch at the MLB level again. Best of luck to the Lester family. C

SP Matt Clement: This guy got paid 9.825 million dollars to have a 6.61 ERA and start 12 games? Boston fans should run this guy out of town. F

Setup Mike Timlin: First half of season: 31.1 innings and a 2.59 ERA. Second half of season: 32.2 innings and a 6.06 ERA. Nuff said. D+

Setup Keith Foulke: How does a guy enter the season on the depth chart as the closer, pitch 49 innings and not record one save? As wierd as it sounds, Foulke was the teams best pitcher in September (11 scoreless innings). C-

Setup Julian Tavarez: This guy was a mess all season long, I wouldn't blame Boston if they tried to get rid of him. Had a couple of nice starts when too many guys went down, but thats not enough to make up for all the leads he blew. C-

Closer Jon Papelbon: Until August, Papelbon was a legit MVP and Cy Young candidate. To finish the year with an ERA under one in 59 appearances is amazing, and to have been as automatic as he was from April-July, it's even more impressive. Starting may be the best option for him next year (which is his plan), he clearly was getting worn out by pitching so frequently. Pitching every 4-5 days should benefit him as long as he can adjust to making 100 pitches a game. Skys the limit for this kid. A-

Francona and Bosox management: F

There you have it folks, Boston's report card.

Everyone be ready for my report card on the menstrual cycle and what it's like being prom queen. Although I don't know what I'm talking, blackout did the same thing so, why not?

And blackout, if you're grading for the whole season and not the second half then most of your grades are below what they should be. Wakefield, Nixon and some others that stick out it my mind. Timlin too. You should just go on trying to figure out how to get out of the series with the Tigers.

Everyone be ready for my report card on the menstrual cycle and what it's like being prom queen. Although I don't know what I'm talking, blackout did the same thing so, why not?

And blackout, if you're grading for the whole season and not the second half then most of your grades are below what they should be. Wakefield, Nixon and some others that stick out it my mind. Timlin too. You should just go on trying to figure out how to get out of the series with the Tigers.

thank you, your feedback is highly regarded

i think i hit it dead on, tell me whats wrong on my evaluations?

No, you did a good and fair job.

My point only would be a comparison and contract for the front page. Have three people grade their own teams and the other teams.

We all know who owns that crown, don't we?

Honest to God! This new "biggest choke in sports" mantra is funny as heck. Do you think Yankee fans are so arrogant to think that if they ignore what happened in the 2004 ALCS, that it will just go away? Funny.

I still say the Yankees take this series and the next two (knock on wood, Yankee fans). I'm kind of hoping they do. Sacriledge, I know! I just want to see every Sox Fan forced to watch how a real winning franchise goes about their business - Unlike the current Sox ownership that is committed to making money at the expense of the team - and therefore the fans. When you think of this season, as well as last year (and I can't wait 'till this offseason's Manny Fire sale) and when you think of the Sox F.O. operations - the term Cluster F comes to mind. The word Sneaky comes to mind too. RSN is getting a snow job and half of 'em are too stupid to see it.

Honest to God! This new "biggest choke in sports" mantra is funny as heck. Do you think Yankee fans are so arrogant to think that if they ignore what happened in the 2004 ALCS, that it will just go away? Funny.

I still say the Yankees take this series and the next two (knock on wood, Yankee fans). I'm kind of hoping they do. Sacriledge, I know! I just want to see every Sox Fan forced to watch how a real winning franchise goes about their business - Unlike the current Sox ownership that is committed to making money at the expense of the team - and therefore the fans. When you think of this season, as well as last year (and I can't wait 'till this offseason's Manny Fire sale) and when you think of the Sox F.O. operations - the term Cluster F comes to mind. The word Sneaky comes to mind too. RSN is getting a snow job and half of 'em are too stupid to see it.

A coouple of things come to my mind after reading your post too Garb:

1) I love it when you talk dirty.

2) You're beautiful when you're angry.

Keep up the good posts!

i dont know Garb, 2004 would sting bad if we hadn't came back to win in 2003. Red Sox fans will still never forgive Grady Little, nomatter how many rings they go on to win.

As for biggest chokes, heres a huge one, the MLB champion Philadelphia A's lost a barnstorming series in Havana, Cuba in 1910 4 games to 6, just a few weeks after winning the world series. Most MLB players viewed these series as catwalks, and the MLB's best team LOST to the players they banned from the game.

As a Met fan, I enjoyed the 2004 postseason, much like 1986. Yeah, one out away, baby.

BUCKPHU006000~Mookie-Wilson-s-Grounder-Past-Bill-Buckner-1986-World-Series-Game-6-Posters.jpg

The Yanks did gag in a series, but the sawx have made a living doing it.

Archived