The 3-4: "Too Soon" or "No Time Like the Present"?

Maxman

Good article.

Agreed that the Schlegel and Smith picks look really bad. Hopefully they learned a hard lesson-intangibles are nice, but if the talent isn't there, so what.

#33 was on the field last week for short time on Sunday. I was shocked, either that or I am blind and\or crazy. The fact that Schlegel can't get out there is a bad sign. Really bad.

Good article! Mangini has a lot to prove, agreed. I do like the first few steps and this puts it in perspective. A lot of people are saying they should alter the scheme until they get some new players. But like this article points out they are putting such an emphasis on this defense that they can't just flip the switch later on. It would be nice if they really built a system here. When a player goes down, someone else fills in.

Unlike years past for the Jets that saw an injury or two and you knew it was over.

Well played, Sperm.

Valid criticism: "he (with Tannenbaum) tried to be a bit too clever, looking for diamonds-in-the-rough when the diamond store was having a giveaway sale."

But Lucy, after seemingly making the case for going with the 3-4, you say this:

"He also seems a bit rigid to his schemes on defense."

You got some 'splainin' to do. :P

Well played, Sperm.

Valid criticism: "he (with Tannenbaum) tried to be a bit too clever, looking for diamonds-in-the-rough when the diamond store was having a giveaway sale."

But Lucy, after seemingly making the case for going with the 3-4, you say this:

"He also seems a bit rigid to his schemes on defense."

You got some 'splainin' to do. :P

He seems it so far.

If it's because he's just stubborn and says "we're going to win by my defensive schemes or we won't win at all" after this year, then the way he "seems" is validated.

If it's just because he's viewing the season as a 16-game training camp, then it only "seems" that way now; even if it is not how he would coach a contender.

He seems it so far.

If it's because he's just stubborn and says "we're going to win by my defensive schemes or we won't win at all" after this year, then the way he "seems" is validated.

If it's just because he's viewing the season as a 16-game training camp, then it only "seems" that way now; even if it is not how he would coach a contender.

I'll accept that, and add the proviso that you have a future in the legal profession with all that tap dancing you did.

:D

#33 was on the field last week for short time on Sunday. I was shocked, either that or I am blind and\or crazy. The fact that Schlegel can't get out there is a bad sign. Really bad.

Smith has played Specials and situationally on D. I think he was a decent pick. In part I think he only looks like a questionble pick when compared to Leon Washington, Brad Smith, and Coleman who were picked after him. They have worked their way into starting roles from the 4th round and later so Smith looks bad by comparison. I think a rookie safety who starts on Special Teams and has played situationally from day 1 is pretty good for a late 3rd round pick.

Schlegel's situation is really interesting. Last time Mangini talked about him he was praising his work ethic and saying he was pleased with his development. When Myer's was cut speculation ran rampant on the boards and in the media that he was cut so Schlegel could play, but then the Jets picked up two LBs for special teams purposes (I think Riddle was brought in to turn up the heat on Thomas) and Schlegel still didnt dress.

There are several possible reasons for this:

First. He stinks. The coaches and scouts made a mistake and he needs way more time to develop than they thought.

Second, he pissed Westhoff off about something and cant get on for special teams. I seriously doubt that he has less talent and ability than Riddle or Spencer (though Spencer is faster). He didnt seem like the kind of guy to me who needed an attitude adjustment, but you never know.

Third, the Jets feel no pressure to play him because they are so deep at ILB. This doesnt address the ST situation, but it might be true on D. Keep in mind there is more depth at ILB on this team than at any other position (Vilma, Barton, and Kassell) and like all the other guys Schlegel is having to learn the 3-4 too. It might be that the coaches are waiting until Schlegel proves that he has mastered the skill set, reads and techniques before he gets his chance. After all with the three guys in front of him they arent really losing much (though I think Kassell has been a disaster as a backup).

Fourth, the Jets, because of their depth at ILB, have been experimenting by bringing in the other LBs for special teams to either put pressure on Schlegel or on the other LBS -- Ridddle to put pressure on Thomas, Kassell to put pressure on Kassell. With all the teams out their who need MLB's/ ILBs and the Jets depth at those positions it wouldnt come as a total shock to me if they traded Barton or Kassell to a team like Carolina that just lost their MLB.

All just specualtion of course, but things to consider. I would think that at some point the Jets would dress the guy just so he can get some experience here and there. If they continue to sit him for the year its probably a good indication that they dont think he's going to work out and regret making the pick.

Schlegel was inactive for few games... Pointless on picking on him.

I wish Jets took Tim Dobbins from Iowa instead of Schlegel who is .20 slower which is violate the 3-4 rule... Unbelievable.

Mangini was DB coach for Patriots in few years before become DC and he had hard time to develop young dbs for better... Patriots always brought in vet for db help. Go figure.

Kinda an echo-

http://www.nysun.com/pf.php?id=41653

October 17, 2006 Edition > Section: Sports > Printer-Friendly Version

Porous Jets Defense Is Letting Opposing Teams Run Wild

Football

BY MICHAEL DAVID SMITH

October 17, 2006

URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/41653

Miami Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown was having a rough 2006 season until Sunday, when he ran through the Jets for 127 yards. That doesn't mean Brown has turned his game around, though. It just means that the Jets' run defense is playing the same way it has all year.

The Jets have played six games this season, and six times they've given up an opposing running back's best game of the season. Prior to Brown's performance during the Jets' 20–17 win over the Dolphins Sunday, Jacksonville's Fred Taylor, Indianapolis's Joseph Addai, Buffalo's Willis McGahee, New England's Corey Dillon, and Tennessee's Chris Brown have all had their most productive day of 2006 against the Jets. The Jets have allowed 872 yards on the ground this year, the secondworst total in the league, and they have given up 12 rushing touchdowns and 49 rushing first downs, worst in the league in both categories.

Although Brown had runs of 18 and 26 yards on Sunday, the biggest problem for the Jets isn't giving up long runs. In fact, Brown's 26-yard scamper was only the second run of 20 or more yards the Jets gave up this year. The real problem for the Jets' defense is their inability to stop opposing running backs from consistently picking up a few yards at a time, especially in shortyardage situations. Brown twice gained first downs on third-and-short Sunday, and he scored a touchdown on secondand-goal from the 1-yard line.The average length of the 12 touchdown runs the Jets have given up this season is just four yards, and five rushing touchdowns have come from the 1-yard line. When a defense can't stop the other team from getting one yard that means the defensive linemen are losing their individual battles with the opposing offensive line.

The defensive line's inability to stop running backs shouldn't come as a surprise to new Jets coach Eric Mangini because the run defense was the Jets' biggest problem last year as well. Mangini thought he had taken a major step toward improving the defensive line when the Jets signed free agent Kimo von Oelhoffen to a threeyear, $9.2 million contract this off-season. The Jets figured von Oelhoffen's experience playing in Pittsburgh in the 3–4 defense that Mangini runs would allow him to make a difference immediately. But von Oelhoffen looks out of place this year, and he hasn't been nearly as effective as holdover ends Shaun Ellis and Bryan Thomas, who are learning the more versatile roles they're required to play in Mangini's defense.

Teams that use the 3–4 defense successfully usually have a huge run-stopping nose tackle who lines up opposite the center and keeps opposing linemen from blocking the linebackers behind him. The Jets don't have any linemen who fit that mold. Mangini has Dewayne Robertson playing nose tackle, but Robertson would be better suited for end than tackle because he lacks the strength necessary to clog up the middle of the line.

In 2003, the Jets gave up two firstround draft picks to move up in the draft and select Robertson, and Robertson signed a lucrative contract that makes him one of the league's highest-paid defensive linemen. The Jets haven't had much of a return on their investment.

With Robertson struggling, the Jets should give more playing time to his backup, Rashad Moore, who at 6 foot 3 and 325 pounds is the Jets' biggest defensive lineman. Moore made the most of his limited playing time on Sunday. In the third quarter he drilled Dolphins running back Sammy Morris to force a fumble, and his strength generally gave the Dolphins' offensive linemen fits. Moore, a third-year player, signed with the Jets for the league minimum after being out of the league last year, but he looks like a better fit than the high-priced Robertson for the defense Mangini wants to implement.

The Jets would also be wise to give more playing time to veteran defensive end Bobby Hamilton, another new addition who has shown a clear understanding of his role in the 3–4. Hamilton spent seven seasons playing for Mangini during his tenure as an assistant, both with the Jets and the New England Patriots. Hamilton doesn't make the spectacular plays that get defensive linemen noticed (he has only 19 sacks in his 12-year career), but he is a sturdy, dependable player who isn't pushed aside easily on running plays.

Having Moore and Hamilton on the field would help inside linebacker Jonathan Vilma because both excel at controlling the offensive linemen in front of them. Vilma, the Jets' 2004 first-round draft pick, is a very talented player, but at 230 pounds he can't fight off offensive linemen who often outweigh him by 100 pounds or more. He needs defensive linemen to keep those blockers off him, and that is what Moore and Hamilton do best.

If the Jets' run defense can make even modest improvements, they could be this year's surprise playoff team. That says less about the Jets than about their schedule that is the league's easiest down the stretch. Of their 10 remaining opponents, only three — Chicago, New England, and Minnesota — have winning records. Even though they're only 3–3 now, a 10–6 finish and a chance at a playoff spot is possible.

But not if they keep giving every runner they face his easiest day of the year.

Mr. Smith is a writer for FootballOutsiders.com.

Kinda an echo-

http://www.nysun.com/pf.php?id=41653

Porous Jets Defense Is Letting Opposing Teams Run Wild

Football

BY MICHAEL DAVID SMITH

October 17, 2006

URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/41653

Miami Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown was having a rough 2006 season until Sunday, when he ran through the Jets for 127 yards. That doesn't mean Brown has turned his game around, though. It just means that the Jets' run defense is playing the same way it has all year.

The Jets have played six games this season, and six times they've given up an opposing running back's best game of the season. Prior to Brown's performance during the Jets' 20

Color me crazy, but I think it's virtually impossible to truly evaluate the season when it hasn't played itself out. Sure, plenty of things are glaringly evident, but personnel changes, what we do in the off-season, that's a better litmus test than the growing pains we're witnessing - which is what they are. How the CS fills holes and addresses our weaknesses, have at it then. Besides, I'm sure they can see what's going on or they wouldn't be in the business while I'm sitting here on a Jets message board. Hehehe. I'm perfectly willing to have the patience necessary for the right reasons. Thing is, nobody expected us to be even mildly competive given all of the factors involved. New Staff, new regime, QB question; but because we ARE competitive? Now it's how come we don't do this or that, or this or that bites, or why is Mangini a dumb ass.

Archived