This is the game for Leon "Boom Boom" Washington

junjobx2199

It's one thing if you've got LaDanian Tomlinson or Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander on your team. We do not. To plug one player in there and assume the results will be the same (or even remotely similar) is absurd. Take a look at teams that HAVE gone far in the playoffs recently without slavishly giving 80-90% of the carries to 1 man:

2005:

Pittsburgh - superbowl champ

Denver - championship game

Carolina - championship game

2004:

Pittsburgh - championship game

Atlanta - championship game

2003:

New England - superbowl champ

Carolina - superbowl

Eagles - championship game

2002:

Tampa Bay - superbowl champ

Oakland - superbowl

So in the last 4 years, at least 2 of the final four teams used RBBC. Those that didn't had 1 star or workhorse RB: 2005 Seattle, 2004 New England, 2004 Philadelphia, 2003 Indianapolis, 2002 Tennessee (and it didn't help them at all), 2002 Eagles (same).

Further, these teams without a league-MVP-type RB on their teams are looking like they'll make the playoffs this year:

Colts

Saints

Patriots

Dallas

Jacksonville

All of them use RBBC.

And maybe: NYJ, NYG, Atlanta.

If anything it seems a rarity for a team without a top-5 RB to use 1 runner and make the playoffs.

These sucky teams have committed to 1 runner, by the way:

Arizona (2-9)

San Fran (5-6)

Rams (5-6)

Redskins (4-7)

Buffalo (5-6)

Miami (5-6)

Cleveland (3-8)

Pittsburgh (4-7)

Detroit (2-9)

Minnesota (5-6)

Tampa Bay (3-8)

Oakland (2-9)

You play too much fantasy football.

It's one thing if you've got LaDanian Tomlinson or Larry Johnson or Shaun Alexander on your team. We do not. To plug one player in there and assume the results will be the same (or even remotely similar) is absurd. Take a look at teams that HAVE gone far in the playoffs recently without slavishly giving 80-90% of the carries to 1 man:

2005:

Pittsburgh - superbowl champ

Denver - championship game

Carolina - championship game

2004:

Pittsburgh - championship game

Atlanta - championship game

2003:

New England - superbowl champ

Carolina - superbowl

Eagles - championship game

2002:

Tampa Bay - superbowl champ

Oakland - superbowl

So in the last 4 years, at least 2 of the final four teams used RBBC. Those that didn't had 1 star or workhorse RB: 2005 Seattle, 2004 New England, 2004 Philadelphia, 2003 Indianapolis, 2002 Tennessee (and it didn't help them at all), 2002 Eagles (same).

Further, these teams without a league-MVP-type RB on their teams are looking like they'll make the playoffs this year:

Colts

Saints

Patriots

Dallas

Jacksonville

All of them use RBBC.

And maybe: NYJ, NYG, Atlanta.

If anything it seems a rarity for a team without a top-5 RB to use 1 runner and make the playoffs.

These sucky teams have committed to 1 runner, by the way:

Arizona (2-9)

San Fran (5-6)

Rams (5-6)

Redskins (4-7)

Buffalo (5-6)

Miami (5-6)

Cleveland (3-8)

Pittsburgh (4-7)

Detroit (2-9)

Minnesota (5-6)

Tampa Bay (3-8)

Oakland (2-9)

You play too much fantasy football.

Your stat's mean dick , You can throw all the stats you want at me . Your trying to say that the Jets dont need a balanced run attack. Which they will not get if the play running back by commitee or 3 man carosel . You mentioned running backs that are not star's or MVP's But they have a consistant pressence on the feild and effected the play of the game due to there ability to pick up yard's (Parker,Taylor,Jone,Adai,Malroone)This Packers defense looked like swiss chese (fitting) against the seahawks in the snow,My post says this would be the game Leon could put on the speed and get our run game going and as always you use brusing bigger back picking up the short yards or around goal line situations. You also offer a list of sub par teams that have committed to one running back A couple of those teams have lost their starting running back or their line's dont allow for their running back to do what they do . Go ahaead show me a stat that show people who want a decicated running game are not really fans of their teams ,I know you can do it .

Your stat's mean dick , You can throw all the stats you want at me . Your trying to say that the Jets dont need a balanced run attack. Which they will not get if the play running back by commitee or 3 man carosel . You mentioned running backs that are not star's or MVP's But they have a consistant pressence on the feild and effected the play of the game due to there ability to pick up yard's (Parker,Taylor,Jone,Adai,Malroone)This Packers defense looked like swiss chese (fitting) against the seahawks in the snow,My post says this would be the game Leon could put on the speed and get our run game going and as always you use brusing bigger back picking up the short yards or around goal line situations. You also offer a list of sub par teams that have committed to one running back A couple of those teams have lost their starting running back or their line's dont allow for their running back to do what they do . Go ahaead show me a stat that show people who want a decicated running game are not really fans of their teams ,I know you can do it .

head_scratch.gif

I didn't list any "stats" at all. I listed the teams that made the championship game. I did it without any stats in terms of rushing attempts, rushing yards, yards per carry, or rushing touchdowns. Is it your position that this is sheer coincidence? That it is by dumb luck that the only teams to advance that far recently either had Shaun Alexander in his MVP season, Corey Dillon in his last great year, or Edgerrin James?

What connection do you make between going with 1 RB for almost every carry and that team not being committed to the run? I never suggested that.

Are you suggesting the most recent superbowl champion didn't emphasize a strong running game? They were a pure RBBC team. Now they're not & giving Willie Parker all the carries has dropped them from the #5 rushing attack in '05 to the #17 rushing attack in '06.

A running back having a "constant presence on the field" does not make the team better off simply due to doing that. There is no evidence for this statement.

And what does any of this, either way, have to do with being a loyal team fan?

harkens back to Welcome Back Kotter Freddy Boom Boom Washington (in case ya didn't know)-it WAS Freddy right?

Thanks SFJ, it was killing me that I couldn't remember where I heard it before. Freddy "boom boom" Washington because the ladies liked to call him boom boom!

And 124: it's not gay at all, you're just too young to remember television when they actually wrote scripts and created storylines as opposed to just sticking a camera up someone's a$$ and calling it reality tv.

My post simply stated that this would be a good game to let Leon looses and give one guy the lions share of the carries ,You always can switch it up around goal line situation with your other backs to gain those short yards. 27 yards will not work if we go to the playoff's. What do you have if you dont find out first. We dont know yet! This is My oppinion and Im sticking with it ,I dont need a comparrison of 1 running back teams verses tandems to tell me im wrong. What do you think we stick with running back by commitee and put up 20-50 yard s a game ,no way thats going to carry this team any where! Im sure you would agree.

Great friggin' show. I think Gabe Kaplan is a commentator for those televised poker competitions now.

there were some great shows to watch stoned back in the 70's Kotter,Sanford and Son,Chico and The Man-I'd be laughing my a$s off just watching my guitarist Mike and bassist Ralph laugh before band practice in Ralph's cellar-two dudes with the funniest laughs ever

there were some great shows to watch stoned back in the 70's Kotter,Sanford and Son,Chico and The Man-I'd be laughing my a$s off just watching my guitarist Mike and bassist Ralph laugh before band practice in Ralph's cellar-two dudes with the funniest laughs ever

Sanford and Son had the best friggn' theme song of any show on TV.

My post simply stated that this would be a good game to let Leon looses and give one guy the lions share of the carries ,You always can switch it up around goal line situation with your other backs to gain those short yards. 27 yards will not work if we go to the playoff's. What do you have if you dont find out first. We dont know yet! This is My oppinion and Im sticking with it ,I dont need a comparrison of 1 running back teams verses tandems to tell me im wrong. What do you think we stick with running back by commitee and put up 20-50 yard s a game ,no way thats going to carry this team any where! Im sure you would agree.

No one wants to see the Jets running for 20-50 yards. I just don't agree that it means the solution is necessarly giving Leon all the carries. If you want to compare what Alexander did to Green Bay, the most similar runner we have to him, in terms of style and size is Cedric Houston. If we just saw Tiki or Warrick Dunn tear them up, then maybe.

Look, I like Leon. I think in terms of running skills I think he has "it" but just 1 week before, his performance vs Cedric's were almost identically flipped.

We'll see who's running best & that's who'll get more carries. Keeping more RB's in the rotation means the upcoming team has to prepare a lot more & can't just concentrate on 1 player's running style.

I just took your post to mean that we should be a 1 RB team like so many long for the days of slavishly feeding Martin the ball even when he was totally ineffective (which occurred almost always if we played a decent defense). And after a 20-yard first half listening to the excuses come in that he needs 15 carries to get warmed up. Meanwhile the Jets TEAM is getting destroyed. I've watched enough of that to last me for quite a while.

If you have a VERY special back, who good teams gameplan against & still can't stop him that's one thing. We don't seem to have someone like that on the roster.

No one wants to see the Jets running for 20-50 yards. I just don't agree that it means the solution is necessarly giving Leon all the carries. If you want to compare what Alexander did to Green Bay, the most similar runner we have to him, in terms of style and size is Cedric Houston. If we just saw Tiki or Warrick Dunn tear them up, then maybe.

Look, I like Leon. I think in terms of running skills I think he has "it" but just 1 week before, his performance vs Cedric's were almost identically flipped.

We'll see who's running best & that's who'll get more carries. Keeping more RB's in the rotation means the upcoming team has to prepare a lot more & can't just concentrate on 1 player's running style.

I just took your post to mean that we should be a 1 RB team like so many long for the days of slavishly feeding Martin the ball even when he was totally ineffective (which occurred almost always if we played a decent defense). And after a 20-yard first half listening to the excuses come in that he needs 15 carries to get warmed up. Meanwhile the Jets TEAM is getting destroyed. I've watched enough of that to last me for quite a while.

If you have a VERY special back, who good teams gameplan against & still can't stop him that's one thing. We don't seem to have someone like that on the roster.

I guesse Im from the old mold of you have your main guy and the other backs spell him at goal line or in specific down's situations. I think Leon is it and why not give him the shot. They were very patient with Penny going through his troulbles so why not Leon .

Arizona (2-9)

San Fran (5-6)

Rams (5-6)

Redskins (4-7)

Buffalo (5-6)

Miami (5-6)

Cleveland (3-8)

Pittsburgh (4-7)

Detroit (2-9)

Minnesota (5-6)

Tampa Bay (3-8)

Oakland (2-9)

all these teams have bad qbs, bad onlines, or have had a qb in a card accident..

News flash GS: This year, WE have a bad QB AND a bad run-blocking OL.

I believe that mixing it up & giving all of the RB's equal reps in practice allows us flexibility to go with any of them and also forces the other team to gameplan and/or dedicate more time to breaking down game film on three RB's instead of one. Actually I think these reasons are BIG factors in what Mangini's doing. He wants all the players to play as one, not two to take a back seat for the greater glory of one.

There is no history to indicate that a lone, non-star RB is better for the team than using a RBBC system.

People are just used to Martin getting all the carries around here (and like clockwork being absolute crap in the late season and/or post-season, and accepting it as a necessary evil).

I think we need a more balanced run game....50, 60 or 70 yards will not cut it (if we make the playoffs). However I also believe to win th next 4 out of 5 games 9to even make the playoffs) we need to ramp up the run attack. I hope I'm wrong but if we don't get to 100 yards per game for the next 5 games using the RBBC then we have no chance....

People are just used to Martin getting all the carries around here (and like clockwork being absolute crap in the late season and/or post-season, and accepting it as a necessary evil).

Why do you continue to crap all over a HOF RB?

Do you know what kind of stats CuMar put up over his career?

Archived