Interesting question

4HCrew

So what made Bryan Thomas a better player this year? coaching? scheme? combination of both? and would you rather have had Ed Reed on the team instead of him?

I don't know for certain - but some good part of it would have to do with motivation and mental toughness. I think that goes to the coaching staff. Another year up doesn't hurt him either. I'd rather have him over Reed because I don't think Thomas has peaked yet.

So what made Bryan Thomas a better player this year? coaching? scheme? combination of both? and would you rather have had Ed Reed on the team instead of him?
Coaching is what makes the scheme, and the Tuna Helpers always got the most out of marginal DL's. and DEFINITELY.

It could be a mix of thing. He could've been coached up this season more than any other season that he's been in the league as well as he could've found his position as a 3-4 OLB at being able to stop the run, drop back into coverage and rush the passer and random times.

As for if I'd want Reed or Thomas, give me Reed anyday.

So what made Bryan Thomas a better player this year?

Maturity, coaching, desire.

coaching?

No doubt. He started to show signs of life last year, with Donnie Henderson and Denny Marcin. His first year, I think Cottrell and Carter were his coaches.

scheme?

Not sure, 'cos Bryan was never really given an opportunity to play in the 43 D. Last year was a n abberation, because the entire season was a train wreck with Herm preoccupied with manipulating his way out of town, so you couldn't really get a bead on his progress.

would you rather have had Ed Reed on the team instead of him?

Ed Reed would not be Ed Reed had he been drafted by the Jets. Ed Reed has been a member of a secondary that has had, and continues to have, one of the best defensive front seven in football.

wait a minute thar Babalouies-you mean to actually tell me anyone in their right minds would rather have Ed Frickin REED over BT? The same Bryan Thomas who has switched to LBer and recorded seven and a half sacks? ED REED????

Do you even know who Ed Reed is? You realize that on a team chock full of superstars Ed Reed won a defensive MVP? He is by far the most complete S in the NFL in terms of coverage, run support, tackling, and sacks.

would you rather have had Ed Reed on the team instead of him?

Ed Reed would not be Ed Reed had he been drafted by the Jets. Ed Reed has been a member of a secondary that has had, and continues to have, one of the best defensive front seven in football.

Ed Reed would still have been Ed Reed, IMO. His first year, 2002, was the same season the NYJ made the playoffs with Ellis, Abraham (10 sacks) Cowart, Donny Abe, and...I forgot who else. He would have stepped up the defense to another level like he did in Miami. He didnt have to be a pro-bowler in Baltimore to make the Ravens defense better. He could have been average or slightly above, and they still would have had a great D. He has given a lot of credit to Ray lewis for taking him under his wing and helping him with the transition from college to pro ball. I dont know who his mentor would have been in NY. Maybe Cowart.

I think he would have been great in NY, and part of that was he would have eventually been the leader and captain of the D. More would have been expected of him, but I think he would produce no matter where he went. He would have made a great impact no matter where he played- he's a baller.

edit. Reed and Dorsey were the true coaches of the 2001 team that won it all. His halftime speech during the fsu game goes down as a cherished moment in Cane history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb9cKXk1Mjk

Do you even know who Ed Reed is? You realize that on a team chock full of superstars Ed Reed won a defensive MVP? He is by far the most complete S in the NFL in terms of coverage, run support, tackling, and sacks.

duh I was thinking James Reed...nevermind

duh I was thinking James Reed...nevermind

LOL, that makes more sense. I could at least try to listen to reasoning as to why someone might want Thomas over Reed even though I wouldn't agree, but I was flabberghasted that you called those who wanted Reed a bunch of Babbalouie's!! I thought you lost your marbles for a moment there. :P

A pass rushing DE is worth more than a safety. That is the only reason anybody could possibly give. However, BT has not shown me anything of brilliance. He is playing OK, but he's no dominating pass rusher. As far as I'm concerned he's basically just decent. Not a mandatory spot to upgrade (like Kimo) but I'd take somebody at the same position without blinking an eye.

Bryan Thomas is a perfect "hybrid" player for a 3-4 scheme (in the Willie McGinest role). He can drop back into coverage and rush the QB. Also, he's healthy (remember he had some dietary problem). He's actually plays both DE and DT fairly well..

Archived