Chad Pennington is the face of the Jets.. good or bad?

EvanstonJet

On ESPN promos we hear "Chad Pennington and the New York Jets"

We know hes not the Jets best player, but he still probably is the biggest celebrity we have..

Chad is a likeable guy, and good with the media..

That being said he has teased the organization with his performance on the field this year..

One game he looks like the Chad of old, the next he looks like crap..

He's the face because he is the QB and we don't really have a good team. If we start getting better players that can change. Who is the face of the Patriots really? Brady and Belichik, but it's hard to really say that they get a lot of exposure or anything.

Chad's a good team spokesperson. He's likable and generally a good team guy, outside of salary. He could still become better. Unlike what most people say, I think most of his problems this year have been terrible decisions. If he can take his mental abilities to the top of the league, maybe he has a chance yet to be a very good QB. Of course, this could also be his peak, in which case he will be gone by next year probably.

Man, I wish we had a guy like Cutler though, just amazing to watch.

We all know that Chad has his limitations.

Pennington though has "IT" and what I mean by "IT" is that he makes the players around him better. If you don't believe that then take a look at what the Jets have done when he isn't the QB. It's not very pretty is it ?

I do feel though surrounded by some great talent he can be a Super Bowl QB.

Trent Dilfer had a historic Ravens D when the Ravens won in 2000.

Brad Johnson had a great Defense when the Bucs won in 2002.

Jim McMahon had a great D and an all time great at RB in Walter Payton.

Super Bowls are not all about the QB. If they were then guys like Marino and Fouts would have rings as well.

There was once a QB in New York. He was a #1 draft choice, annointed "The Savior", The guy who would lead him out of the abyss and to the promised land. Problem was he could never stay healthy. He ended up losing his job. He kept fighting though and eventually won his job back. That team ended up surrounding him with a very good if not great offensive line and a great defense and ended up winning the Super Bowl.

That QB if you haven't figured it out by now is Phil Simms.

It took him the better part of five seasons before he really took the job but once he did he never let go. Their offense was not flashy but it was PHYSICAL. Of course we know about the D with guys like Taylor, Carson, Leonard Marshall but the point I'm getting at is this;

Pennington for all his shortcomings with the arm is right now the best choice for the Jets right now. What you see from him is what you get. He doesn't candy coat stuff and he takes the blame the way a leader should, unlike some guys who play for that other New York team.

Will he lead the Jets to a Super Bowl ?

I think that depends on Mangini and what he has planned for the future.

We all know that Chad has his limitations.

Pennington though has "IT" and what I mean by "IT" is that he makes the players around him better. If you don't believe that then take a look at what the Jets have done when he isn't the QB. It's not very pretty is it ?

I do feel though surrounded by some great talent he can be a Super Bowl QB.

Trent Dilfer had a historic Ravens D when the Ravens won in 2000.

Brad Johnson had a great Defense when the Bucs won in 2002.

Jim McMahon had a great D and an all time great at RB in Walter Payton.

Super Bowls are not all about the QB. If they were then guys like Marino and Fouts would have rings as well.

There was once a QB in New York. He was a #1 draft choice, annointed "The Savior", The guy who would lead him out of the abyss and to the promised land. Problem was he could never stay healthy. He ended up losing his job. He kept fighting though and eventually won his job back. That team ended up surrounding him with a very good if not great offensive line and a great defense and ended up winning the Super Bowl.

That QB if you haven't figured it out by now is Phil Simms.

It took him the better part of five seasons before he really took the job but once he did he never let go. Their offense was not flashy but it was PHYSICAL. Of course we know about the D with guys like Taylor, Carson, Leonard Marshall but the point I'm getting at is this;

Pennington for all his shortcomings with the arm is right now the best choice for the Jets right now. What you see from him is what you get. He doesn't candy coat stuff and he takes the blame the way a leader should, unlike some guys who play for that other New York team.

Will he lead the Jets to a Super Bowl ?

I think that depends on Mangini and what he has planned for the future.

If "IT" means his 31-26 career record, then "IT" needs to be redefined by the Jets organization.

Chad will be 31 by 2007. He is what he is. Could he win with a 'historic' defense like you mentioned? Yes. The thing is, your team is nowhere near having a defense that good. It is getting better, but going from ok to historic is another huge leap.

For all the feel goodness of this year, staying with Chad is probably a mistake in the long run. He was your best option for this year. What about next year with higher expectations? Do you want a team that much closer to being a contender in the hands of a QB with one career pass? As many people that said Shanahan F'd up, they have a much better idea what Cutler is now. Plus, he did it against a much tougher schedule.

If "IT" means his 31-26 career record, then "IT" needs to be redefined by the Jets organization.

Chad will be 31 by 2007. He is what he is. Could he win with a 'historic' defense like you mentioned? Yes. The thing is, your team is nowhere near having a defense that good. It is getting better, but going from ok to historic is another huge leap.

For all the feel goodness of this year, staying with Chad is probably a mistake in the long run. He was your best option for this year. What about next year with higher expectations? Do you want a team that much closer to being a contender in the hands of a QB with one career pass? As many people that said Shanahan F'd up, they have a much better idea what Cutler is now. Plus, he did it against a much tougher schedule.

I agree with the Shanahan stuff completely.

When I mean "IT" just take a look at the Jets record without Chad since he became a starter in (and if you want you can take those first few games that Vinny started in 02 as well).

They were a totally different team without Chad.

Now can say that alot that had to do with Herm and Hackett and their ultra conservative nature when Chad was out but the Jets were a Signficantly worse team without Chad then with Chad.

Simms was already 30 when he entrenched himself as the Giants starting QB.

Like I said. Chad can do the job but he needs help.

Besides who would you rather have as the face of the franchise

Chad or Tiki ?

Chad isn't the worst QB in the league, but 29-22 is hardly justification as to why he's good enough to lead us to a superbowl without a 2000-Ravens-esque defense. That 29-22 record includes a LOT of wins against some God-awful teams that we would not face in the playoffs; certainly not past the wild-card round. That would translate to an average season of 9-7. But it's also misleading, as Chad has won 9 regular season games (hopefully it'll be twice) exactly once in his 7-year career. He has never won 10-regular season games in a season.

Also a lot of that 8-19 record without Chad is due to the '05 season. I have serious doubts that his presence would've turned 4-12 into a winning season.

Chad is unreliable. This year will mark the first time in the 7 seasons since he was drafted that he is starting 16 regular season games.

Chad is inconsistent. This needs no explanation. This very season is evidence enough.

Chad is overrated. Much of his historical accuracy stats was due to playing in an ultra-conservative scheme where he was not permitted to even attempt throws that other QB's do routinely. When he lets it loose against a good defense we see the same result as sub-par QB's who everyone else says "sucks" in comparison.

Chad limits the offense. Whatever one's opinion is as to whether he can or cannot make certain throws, the reality is he doesn't. He checks down too much and always has. All too often a receiver is in 1-on-1 coverage way downfield & that's just not open enough for Chad. With all the creativity Brian Schottenheimer has brought, does anyone really think that he's unable to devise a plan for getting 30-yard plays a couple of times per game? When Chad's supporters see him do it once after a 3-game drought, they praise him as doing something godlike.

He does some things very well. Clearly he can read defenses at the line; you don't give authority to audible to a stupid QB. He sells the play-action as well as anyone. He's good at hitting open receivers (though I don't think that distinguishes him, as most are). The players also seem to respond to him, and despite all my jabs at him, that's not nothing. If the players don't believe, then you've got the Oakland Raiders.

However, despite whatever the commercials or ads say, the face of this franchise is (and should be) Eric Mangini. Without creative coaching and real discipline and intelligence this year, Chad would be leading us to a 4 or 5 win season this year. The true face of a franchise is not (or should not be) a player whose job was considered in jeopardy due to bad play within the past month.

I just think we're farting into the wind with him. We've got exactly what the Broncos had with Jake Plummer. While we won't be terrible, we'll never be a superbowl team with him either.

You've cited this "statistic" before. Where does it come from? By my count he is 30-22 as a starter. That includes playoff games. It also includes going 3-4 after f'ing his shoulder up in '04 and the two games they lost when he left injured. Jax in '05 and Buffalo in '04. Do you count the times Herm let him mop up for Vinny T?

Chad isn't the worst QB in the league, but 29-22 is hardly justification as to why he's good enough to lead us to a superbowl without a 2000-Ravens-esque defense. That 29-22 record includes a LOT of wins against some God-awful teams that we would not face in the playoffs; certainly not past the wild-card round. That would translate to an average season of 9-7. But it's also misleading, as Chad has won 9 regular season games (hopefully it'll be twice) exactly once in his 7-year career. He has never won 10-regular season games in a season.

Also a lot of that 8-19 record without Chad is due to the '05 season. I have serious doubts that his presence would've turned 4-12 into a winning season.

Chad is unreliable. This year will mark the first time in the 7 seasons since he was drafted that he is starting 16 regular season games.

Chad is inconsistent. This needs no explanation. This very season is evidence enough.

Chad is overrated. Much of his historical accuracy stats was due to playing in an ultra-conservative scheme where he was not permitted to even attempt throws that other QB's do routinely. When he lets it loose against a good defense we see the same result as sub-par QB's who everyone else says "sucks" in comparison.

Chad limits the offense. Whatever one's opinion is as to whether he can or cannot make certain throws, the reality is he doesn't. He checks down too much and always has. All too often a receiver is in 1-on-1 coverage way downfield & that's just not open enough for Chad. With all the creativity Brian Schottenheimer has brought, does anyone really think that he's unable to devise a plan for getting 30-yard plays a couple of times per game? When Chad's supporters see him do it once after a 3-game drought, they praise him as doing something godlike.

He does some things very well. Clearly he can read defenses at the line; you don't give authority to audible to a stupid QB. He sells the play-action as well as anyone. He's good at hitting open receivers (though I don't think that distinguishes him, as most are). The players also seem to respond to him, and despite all my jabs at him, that's not nothing. If the players don't believe, then you've got the Oakland Raiders.

However, despite whatever the commercials or ads say, the face of this franchise is (and should be) Eric Mangini. Without creative coaching and real discipline and intelligence this year, Chad would be leading us to a 4 or 5 win season this year. The true face of a franchise is not (or should not be) a player whose job was considered in jeopardy due to bad play within the past month.

I just think we're farting into the wind with him. We've got exactly what the Broncos had with Jake Plummer. While we won't be terrible, we'll never be a superbowl team with him either.

Very good post. I submit that Mangini may be the #1 "player" on the Jets, but I don't think he has a franchise face. In that regard my biggest concern with Pennington is not his production, but his haircut.

You've cited this "statistic" before. Where does it come from? By my count he is 30-22 as a starter. That includes playoff games. It also includes going 3-4 after f'ing his shoulder up in '04 and the two games they lost when he left injured. Jax in '05 and Buffalo in '04. Do you count the times Herm let him mop up for Vinny T?

2002: 9-6 including playoffs.

2003: 4-6

2004: 9-6

2005: 1-2

2006: 8-6

A country bumpkin from WV is the face of the New York Jets. Priceless.

First off, he is from Tennessee. He was also a Rhodes Scholar candadite. If being from the south makes you a "bumpkin", than are you a stupid hick, too?

Who is the "face" of the Dolphins? A wife beater or a crybaby?

Feel like I am saying the same thing in two threads:

2006:

- Chad is coming off two surgeries

- Chad is behind a rookie offensive line and has a weak running game

- Chad is in yet another new offensive scheme and new coach.

If he can make it out of this season healthy (still a big if) those three things will help him be even better next year. If the Jets manage a 9-7 or (pray to the lord) 10-6 how could you not like the prospect going into 2007?

BZ

Feel like I am saying the same thing in two threads:

2006:

- Chad is coming off two surgeries

- Chad is behind a rookie offensive line and has a weak running game

- Chad is in yet another new offensive scheme and new coach.

If he can make it out of this season healthy (still a big if) those three things will help him be even better next year. If the Jets manage a 9-7 or (pray to the lord) 10-6 how could you not like the prospect going into 2007?

BZ

Some people just hate the guy and wont accept that he will improve next year... hell he could get better over the next couple of years...

Just think how good he was when healthy... now imagine him actually staying healthy for years at a time... getting stronger becuase he never had to stop working out for a surgery... learning a new O system which is sure to be here as long as he is...

Fact is Chad is a smart hard working guy and if he stays healthy will only get better, imagine if this team (8-8/9-7/10-6) comes back next year with holes filled and Chad improves?? Thats asking for 10+ wins.

A country bumpkin from WV is the face of the New York Jets. Priceless.

Yeah, it sucks have a quarterback who is smart, a leader and honorable who gets injured only to come back the next year and play hard for his team.

I understand how that would make you made when picked Daunte which is none of those things.

BTW: How is Drew Brees doing?

BZ

And the face of the Dolphins is who, exactly? Jason "Neutragena Moisturizer Commercial" Taylor?

That is not his name... it is Jason "I talk big but play small" Taylor. Or maybe it was Jason "I cry sometimes" Taylor. Or maybe Jason "I make fun of the fans, because I can't win" Taylor.

One of those.

BZ

That is not his name... it is Jason "I talk big but play small" Taylor. Or maybe it was Jason "I cry sometimes" Taylor. Or maybe Jason "I make fun of the fans, because I can't win" Taylor.

One of those.

BZ

Well I do often find myself confused when trying to remember the name of the Dolphins whiny b!tch defensive end who is in soap commercials.

One of those.

BZ

Remember the crap he was talking up 30-7 against the Jets on MNF? Remember the look on his face at the end of the game.

PRICELESS

First off, he is from Tennessee. He was also a Rhodes Scholar candadite. If being from the south makes you a "bumpkin", than are you a stupid hick, too?

Who is the "face" of the Dolphins? A wife beater or a crybaby?

Thank you. I am from the northeast, but I have always wondered why, in this age of political correctness, is it perfectly acceptable to make fun of people from the south with references like "country bumpkin, hick, redneck, etc."? Make fun of a black, a latino, a homosexual, etc., and the PC police are all over you. I don't get it.

The shoulder injuries really don't matter, it's the production on the field that counts. As long as you're not hurting the team, your off the field actions really shouldn't matter in the least. I'd rather have a guy that wasn't injured put up MVP numbers than a guy that was injured put up bad to mediocre numbers.

Chad needs to get better. I'm amazed that there is argument on that. I thought the debate was whether Chad COULD get better or not. On one side you have people debating that with Chad's physical shortcomings, this is his peak, on the other, you have people claiming that other extenuating circumstances cause Chad's bad performances this year (lack of run game, new offense, etc.). I personally lean a bit more towards the former, however, I believe Chad has to improve certain parts of his game that the latter group takes for granted.

I feel if Chad became the best player mentally in football his performance would increase to the point that he'd be easily in the top 10, and on the bubble for top 5 in terms of QBs, held back only by physical shortcomings. As it is, I feel he makes too many mental mistakes, especially against good defenses (or it could be that good defenses just take advantage of them where the bad ones can't). Being the best mentally is extremely difficult however, and there's a good chance he never makes it. We can't really wait around next year for that either, rather than take a QB who is bottom tenth in physical ability and needs to be the best mentally, it probably pays off more to get a QB thats in the top third of physical ability and can get to the top third of mental ability, or can be coached up to perhaps the top sixth in mental ability. If the physically talented QB can fix the mental component of his game, he's not handicapped either as the not physically talented one is.

The question is how much longer do we give Chad to see if he can develop into what we want? 1 more year? Just this year? 2? The longer you give him the more dangerous it is if he's not the guy, because the rest of the team ages and the new QB will have growing pains. Or maybe the hope is the new QB is Clemens and he doesn't have those problems from sitting on the bench.

I think its time to admit it guys..

Chad is going to be one of those guys who won't die easily.. similar to Jay Fiedler in Miami..

As fans we will grow tired of his inconsistent play, but he always will do just enough to keep his job..

Please don't compare chad to fiedler. Fielder took the money and was never seen again.

Archived