Check out what Boomer says about Chad here

SoFlaJets

Pennington, Culpepper getting undue criticism

By Boomer Esiason

Special to NFL.com

(Dec. 27, 2006) -- It has come to my attention that ESPN's Monday Night Football crew was somewhat harsh in analyzing Chad Pennington's performance against the Dolphins.

Is it possible ESPN's announcers couldn't see the rain that drenched Dolphin Stadium?

While it's evident he no longer possesses the strongest arm in the league, it was apparent to me that the elements that night had something to do with the speed of his passes. Now Pennington will never be considered a flame thrower and some will rightfully question his arm strength, but the bigger story in regards to Pennington is that this is a guy who has done something no other player in the history of the league has accomplished: coming back from two shoulder operations, both of which were on his throwing shoulder.

I would hope when analysts cover his games, they recognize the road Pennington has traveled. While it's certainly easy to criticize the arm strength, one must also celebrate what he has accomplished in overcoming such long odds just to make it back. It's easy to sit behind a microphone and rip away; it's another thing to sit behind an offensive line. Once again, Pennington has proved wrong all of his doubters and critics as his team is a victory away from the playoffs.

wow my respect for boomer just increased..

it was rather pathetic listning to the comentary monday night, no matter what was happening it was always about chad. they bashed him all night long.. by the time the 4th quater rolled around I just laguhed at it.. it was kind of annoying. I mean we had a football game going on.. not a debate on chad pennington..

I love Boomer. He was one of my favorite Jets growing up from 94-96 along with Adrian Murrell. He's a great person and his insight into the NFL is very under-rated. He's my favorite pre-game show guy, I'll tell you that much.

The NFL Today on CBS would not be the same without Esiason.

As for his points, he's dead on. Kornheiser is a guy I usually like and maybe he was trying to be funny but for him and Joe Theisman to drag it on was ridiculous.

Hey Joey, tell me how you'd be throwing the ball if you'd even have the guts to come back into the league after two torn rotator cuffs on your throwing shoulder.

BTW, how's the leg?

I love Boomer. He was one of my favorite Jets growing up from 94-96 along with Adrian Murrell. He's a great person and his insight into the NFL is very under-rated. He's my favorite pre-game show guy, I'll tell you that much.

The NFL Today on CBS would not be the same without Esiason.

As for his points, he's dead on. Kornheiser is a guy I usually like and maybe he was trying to be funny but for him and Joe Theisman to drag it on was ridiculous.

Hey Joey, tell me how you'd be throwing the ball if you'd even have the guts to come back into the league after two torn rotator cuffs on your throwing shoulder.

BTW, how's the leg?

124 POTW NOM!

I like what Boomer said and he is right that Theisman should no better. I have to defend Kornheiser though. He hasn't seen the Jets play this year and to a first time fan watching Chad throw in the first half it would be startling that those throws were coming from an NFL QB. Then Theisman says that the rain shouldn't effect the passing game and that it never bothered him would further the notion that Chad doesn't cut it. Knowing now that Chad was sick (see other thread) and that the monsoon conditions were really worse on the field than it appeared on tv, and that other people who are smarter than Joe say that the rain would really hamper the passing game, you realize Chad was unfairly ripped. We have seen Chad throw well in other games but Tony hadn't. He also was quick to point out what a good throw the Cotchery TD was. So I still like Tony K. and hope they dump Theisman next year.

I like what Boomer said and he is right that Theisman should no better. I have to defend Kornheiser though. He hasn't seen the Jets play this year and to a first time fan watching Chad throw in the first half it would be startling that those throws were coming from an NFL QB. We have seen Chad throw well in other games but Tony hadn't. He also was quick to point out what a good throw the Cotchery TD was. So I still like Tony K. and hope they dump Theisman next year.

DEFEND Kornheiser?!?!?!

His JOB is to know about both teams he's commentating on. If he doesn't KNOW the team or really hasn't SEEN them play then he hasn't done his JOB!! It's a dream job for most of us, really. Most people would have done their homework before sitting their asses on national television. If Korneiser doesn't spend his Tuesday through Saturdays catching up and watching every other game that was played the previous Sunday then SHAME ON HIM!! Don't defend him.

Tony K is useless. For a broadcasting team that calls 1 game per week you'd think all 3 would have a certain minimum knowledge about the NFL. Kornhieser I think understands the very basics of how the game is played (on paper) and little more. He adds nothing. And he looks like one of those goofy caricatures that street artists draw up with pastel pencils.

DEFEND Kornheiser?!?!?!

His JOB is to know about both teams he's commentating on. If he doesn't KNOW the team or really hasn't SEEN them play then he hasn't done his JOB!! It's a dream job for most of us, really. Most people would have done their homework before sitting their asses on national television. If Korneiser doesn't spend his Tuesday through Saturdays catching up and watching every other game that was played the previous Sunday then SHAME ON HIM!! Don't defend him.

right on the money one-six-G

I have to defend Kornheiser though. He hasn't seen the Jets play this year and to a first time fan watching Chad throw in the first half it would be startling that those throws were coming from an NFL QB. ................... We have seen Chad throw well in other games but Tony hadn't.

Not seeing the Jets play this year is no F***ing excuse. These guys are supposed to be professionals. They should have been reviewing tapes, the players, and the jets season before the game. Between the unprepared crew and the awful, awful, awful coverage of the game (replays, Williams sisters, Young, etc) ESPN s*it the bed.

You guys do make some good points. Reviewing tape and knowing the teams in the game you're anouncing should be required. I just expect more from the football expert then from Kornheiser who is supposed to be the guy giving the fan perspective. I also find him amusing. I will, however, concede to my fellow posters, its tough to defend anyone on that crew.

Archived