The JetNation.com Mock Draft: Feel Free to Flame

TomShane

MOCK DRAFT 2005 (Pre-combine)Round 1

==========================

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (via SF 49ers 2005 first (#1 overall)in exchange for Bucs 2005 #1 (#5 overall)2005 #4 and 2006 #1)::: RB Cedric Benson~ Texas

San Francisco trading out of the #1 slot is beyond guaranteed. Niners owner John York may be the cheapest owner in sports (witness his tabbing of perpetual interviewee Mike Nolan as HC on the cheap), and there is no way that they will pay two QB's top money. They already have the immortal Tim Rattay under contract and will give him another chance to fit the bill so they don't have to pay the bill. Aaron Rodgers is the consensus #1 pick in this draft, but in most other years, he might not be drafted in the first round. Another thing to consider: Matt Leinart will most likely jump into the supplemental draft, and that is the QB that San Fran has wanted all along. Why settle for Rodgers when you can recoup extra picks and STILL end up with the top QB? San Fran may be cheap and stupid, but they're not...well, ummm. Anyway, Gruden gets the only legit stud RB in this draft in Benson. He talked up Cadillac Williams at the Senior Bowl, but many feel that that was just a smokescreen to get Ronnie Brown instead. Nope, Gruden has bigger plans, and if they get Brian Griese signed, he'll have his backfield set to go and the makings of a decent offense for 05.

2. Mia Dolphins::: QB Aaron Rodgers~ Cal

Miami loses the guy it needed in Cedric Benson and decides that Cadillac isn't worth the #2 pick overall. In typical Dolphin fashion, they get caught between a rock and a hard place and draft Rodgers. Not a horrible spot to be in if you're the Dolphins, but they still are left with no excuses for trading for Jay Feeley last year. Nick Saban knows he's re-building, so he'll take Rodgers and use 2005 to make him into an NFL QB. He just needs to hope he's better than former Cal prodigy Kyle Boller, whom Cal coach Jeff Tedford had previously (as with Rodgers) propped up to look like a first-rounder.

3. Cle Browns::: QB Alex Smith~ Utah

The quarterback position for the Browns has been a black hole since Bernie Kosar retired. Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage will go in thinking defense, but Smith will fall to them. He's a smart, mobile, tough QB who can handle playing in bad weather. Derrick Johnson will be a consideration here, but Crennel will not tolerate a linebacker that comes with a "soft" label.

4. Chi Bears::: LB Derrick Johnson~ Texas

Lovie Smith will "lovie" getting the chance to draft this fast, active playmaker. Lovie Smith's defense relies on speed, and when it doesn't have it, it gets shredded. The foundation of a great D is coming together, with Urlacher, Derrick Johnson, Charles Tillman and Tommie Harris. If the O can put up a few points, and with a healthy Rex Grossman it should, the Bears could take over that division.

5. San Franciscco 49ers::: RB Ronnie Brown~ Auburn

You always have to worry about these Kiper specials. Brown has myriad skills, and the Niners need a back. Brown is a big back with great hands and good quickness. The only real concern about him is that he was never "the guy" at Auburn with Cadillac Williams there. Can he handle 350+ carries in the NFL?

6. Ten Titans::: WR Mike Williams~ USC

I wouldn't be surprised if Tennessee traded all the way out of the first round to save some money, but after the blood-letting they just went through, cutting 5 starters, they need to replenish. After losing Derrick Mason, Mike Williams will help heal the pain.

7. Oak Raiders::: CB Antrell Rolle~ Miami

Charles Woodson and Phillip Buchanon could both be gone from Raider-land by the time the draft comes around. Rolle has the swagger and the talent to be very, very good in the NFL. Now, if Al Davis could figure out how to get rid of Norv Turner....

8. Ari Cardinals::: LT Alex Barron~ FSU

Denny Green doesn't worry about who people want him to draft; he drafts who he wants when he wants to draft them. Barron is the best pass-blocking lineman in the draft and Green needs to replace LJ Shelton. The Cardinals could have some great bookends in Barron and Leonard Davis.

9. Was Redskins::: WR Braylon Edwards~ Michigan

Joe Gibbs is dumping his two disgruntled wideouts and he'll begin replacing them with Braylon Edwards. Edwards has serious issues with his hands, but he's a great, great athlete with good size and a flair for the dramatic. Patrick Ramsey will appreciate having a receiver who might actually run the right pattern.

10. Detroit Lions::: LT Jammal Brown~ Oklahoma

A huge, angry man who dominates in run-blocking and is a surprisingly nimble (but not great) pass-blocker. He can be a great RT for a decade in Detroit, and Mariucci desperately needs someone to protect the emotionally fragile Joey Harrington.

11. NY Jets (via Dal Cowboys; 2005 #11 pick, 2006 second-rounder in exchange for rights to DE John Abraham)::: CB Pac-Man Jones~ West Virginia

Terry Bradway gets Donnie Henderson the lightning-quick and tough Pac-Man Jones. He's a reported head-case, but he immediately becomes the fastest Jet since Aaron Glenn. Donnie Abraham, pack your bags. Jerry Jones all but guaranteed that the Cowboys will trade at least one, if not both, of their firsts this year. It's about NOW for the Cowboys, and they don't want any players that can't contribute immediately. John Abraham helps them do that. It's hard to imagine a player choosing not to play in the playoffs with Parcells as the head coach. Abraham, all of a sudden, stays healthy. Go figure.

12. SD Chargers::: DE Erasmus James~ Wisconsin

The Chargers have two picks in the first round thanks to last years Giants/Eli Manning deal, and will use both to shore up holes that the Jets were able to expose in the playoffs. Getting to the passer was a major weakness for them, and Erasmus James comes to the rescue. James is the Ray Lewis of this draft--a tough, mean, productive player who inexplicably drops. James has some injury concerns, but has a sick mean streak that will translate well in the NFL.

13. Houston Texans::: TE Heath Miller~ Virginia

Here's what's crazy about the combine--if Miller shows up and runs a 4.6, he's a top 15 pick; if he runs a 4.7, he's a second rounder. Miller is no Jeremy Shockey/Antonio Gates athletically, but he's big, tough and productive. David Carr needs an option over the middle of the field, and Miller fits the bill.

14. Carolina Panthers::: CB Carlos Rogers~ Auburn

The Panthers are hurting for a decent OG, but there's too much value in Rogers to pass up. They can move Chris Gamble to FS and play Rogers at corner opposite Ricky Manning.

15. KC Chiefs::: CB Justin Miller~ Clemson

Vermeil has one more chance to get the Chiefs to a Super Bowl, and he knows that he has to improve the D to do it. Miller can step in a play CB for a horrible Chiefs D and help Gunther Cunningham reverse the trend of giving up 6 TD's through the air each week.

16. NO Saints::: SS Thomas Davis~ Georgia

The Saints D needs alot of things, but the first thing it needs is toughness. Davis brings that in the Roy Williams(Cowboys) mold.

17. Cin Bengals::: OLB Shawne Merriman~ Maryland

A workout warrior-type whom Marvin Lewis will make into an edge pass-rusher. Merriman brings alot of intensity to the field, and he can help a bad Bengals pass rush immediately a la Peter Boulware.

18. Min Vikings::: WR Troy Williamson~ South Carolina

If Randy Moss gets dealt, Williamson becomes the pick immediately. Nate Burleson is a nice player, but that Minny passing game will disappear without Moss, and Culpepper will get killed by mid-season. Williamson is a project, but one with amazing upside. Somebody has to reel in those Culpepper bombs, and Williamson is the guy.

19. STL Rams::: TE Alex Smith~Stanford

The Rams have zero middle-of-the-field pass catchers and Smith becomes that guy. He showed surprising speed and quickness at the Senior Bowl, and he'll step right in to become a target for Marc Bulger. Who would have thought that the high-flying Rams would miss Ernie Conwell that much? Note: They're moving Pisa Tinamoisa to SS, so OLB could also be an option.

20. Dallas Cowboys::: OLB Kevin Burnett~ Tennessee

The Parcells clock is ticking, and time is almost up for the Cowboys. Jerry Jones bit the bullet and made a good deal for John Abraham, and now they add a big, tough, physical OLB in Burnett. Parcells was disgusted at times watching his undersized LB's getting pushed around, and he responds by getting a slugger to replace them.

21. Jac Jaguars::: WR Mark Clayton~ Oklahoma

Byron Leftwich had passing stats last season that looked like NBA shooting percentages: 9-for-22, 7-for-15. That has to change. They drafted the disappointing (and over-rated) Reggie Williams last year, and the emergence of slow-footed Ernest Wilford helped, but they still need a receiver who runs sharp routes and gets open for Leftwich. Clayton excels at doing just that.

===========================

22. Baltimore Ravens::: DE Dan Cody~ Oklahoma

The best-kept secret in football last season was that the great Baltimore defense couldn't get to the passer with Boulware out. Suggs got his 10.5 sacks, but nobody else was able to help him out. Cody is a menace on the pass rush, but struggles against the run. This is an iffy pick, depending on how Cody does in Ozzie Newsome's infamous "box" tests that he uses to unearth gems. That said, Cody is a great value here. Note: They could go with Cadillac Williams here if they think that Jamaal Lewis is near the end.

23. Seattle Seahawks::: CB Marlin Jackson~ Michigan

Mike Holmgren is another coach on a tight-rope. The offense will be alright, assuming the receivers decide to start actually holding on to the ball and Shaun Alexander comes to camp ready to be a team player, but the defense needs help. Jackson is the best athlete left on the board and Seattle needs DB's who can run desperately to make up for having slow safeties.

24. GB Packers::: RB Cadillac Williams~ Auburn

The slide ends here for Williams. The Packers have Ahman Green, but back-up Najeh Davenport is a FA who will probably walk. This is Brett Favre's last year, so the Pack need to know they'll have a back who will tote the bail for 16 games--something they can't guarantee with Green.

25. Denver Broncos::: DE David Pollack~ Georgia

The Broncos will use Pollack strictly in pass-rush situations, as he's ill-fit to be a full-time DE and isn't a good enough athlete to play LB full-time. They lost Bert Berry last year, so Pollack comes in to try and pick up some pass-rushing slack. Reportedly, the Broncos are moving to the 3-4, so Pollack gets to stand up: Mission- Get Peyton Manning on the ground.

26. NY Jets::: OT Khalif Barnes~ Washington

The Jets would love to move Jason Fabini to RT, as the Poston Brothers-represented Kareem MacKenzie is expected to move on in FA. Barnes is an agile pass-protector who is a little weak, but could earn the job in training camp. If he can step up, the Jets could have one of the most dominating O-Lines in the league.

27. Atlanta Falcons::: OG/OC David Baas~ Michigan

The Falcons will beat you up on defense, but they're soft on offense, and Mora Jr. would love to be able to pound the ball between the tackles to save Mike Vick from getting beat up every game. The choice is between Elton Brown and Baas, and Baas grades out as the better, and tougher, athlete.

28. SD Chargers::: OG Elton Brown~ Virginia

The Chargers would have liked a WR here, but they take the road grader from Virginia instead to help LaDanian Tomlinson out.

29. Indianapolis Colts::: DT Antaaj Hawthorne~ Wisconsin

When assessing the Colts' needs, they come to the unfortunate conclusion that you can't draft "nuts for your QB." Tony Dungy is a playoff disaster waiting to happen, but they decide to draft someone here anyway. The take the big DT to help shore up the weak middle of a soft defense.

30. Pitt. Steelers::: LB Channing Crowder~ Florida

Cowher drafts a linebacker in the mold of Greg Lloyd in Crowder. He's mean, productive and quick, but has a serious chip on his shoulder. Playing in the Steelers' system at LB (replacing the talented cancer that was Kendrell Bell), Crowder could be D-ROY.

31. Philadelphia Eagles::: DE Marcus Spears~ LSU

The Eagles should address alot of their needs through FA, so the draft pick here is almost secondary. They use it on the big, strong DE from LSU in Spears.

32. NE Patriots::: CB Brandon Browner~ Oregon State

There's a special place in hell for Bill Belichick. The Pats need DB depth and while Browner is a project, there is no better teaching system than what Belichick has installed in New England.

That's actually a pretty good mock.

Just a few comments:

-Love the 49er deal with the Bucs. All AFCE fans should keep your fingers crossed that this happens. Cedric Benson to the Phins is a scary proposition. Benson may lack character issues, but this guy could be a stud and we (Pats and Jet fans) don't want to face this guy twice a year.

-I like the Jets deal with the Cowboys for Jones. His pure speed will allow him to recover from mistakes. Would be a great selection for the Jets. I've said on other boards, that Abe is not worth a 1st rounder straight up. Your 2006 #2 would do the trick. But I still think the Jets could offer a 3rd or 4th in 2005 and get the Boys to bite.

-I'd be ecstatic if the Pats would land Browner. You know they will go CB with this selection, it's just a matter of who. The guy I really like is Corey Webster from LSU. He would be a reach with #32 but he'll also be gone at #64 in the 2nd. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats make some moves if there is a CB out there they really covet.

-Pats also have to address their LB issue. The Pats LB's are getting old and they need an influx of youth and speed to keep running the 3-4. Look for BB to target an undersized, athletic DE in the middle rounds and switch him to LB.

TS

You have a good point I think some team or teams up at the top are going to trade down-it might just be San Francisco there really is no sure fire Hall Of Famer in this crop- maybe Johnson. Titans are another team that could be looking to trade down instead of slotting that high a pick with their salary constraints.

fab, I think if the Titans trade their first round pick this year, McNair will retire and that whole organization will not recover. Giving him Mike Williams, though, could bring him back (for better or worse).

It is a weird draft--there are no sure-fire studs this year at key positions. It's the wrong year to need a QB. But, if the Pats can win 3 Super Bowls with a scrub like Tom Brady at QB, anything is possible. :lol:

TS

You have a good point I think some team or teams up at the top are going to trade down-it might just be San Francisco there really is no sure fire Hall Of Famer in this crop- maybe Johnson. Titans are another team that could be looking to trade down instead of slotting that high a pick with their salary constraints.

2 things

I can't see a RB going #1 overall

and

I just can't see the Niners not going QB. They have 2 pretty decent RB's in Hicks and Barlow

JonE,

How the hell would the 49ers ever sign a QB as the #1 overall pick in the draft?

Look at the Rivers situation in SD last year.

It would be twice as bad in SF.

Look for SF to trade down.

JonE,

How the hell would the 49ers ever sign a QB as the #1 overall pick in the draft?

Look at the Rivers situation in SD last year.

It would be twice as bad in SF.

Look for SF to trade down.

Problem there Tex is I don't think anyone WANTS the #1 this year.

Let see how it plays, but I'll BE SHOCKED if a RB goes #1

Problem there Tex is I don't think anyone WANTS the #1 this year.

Let see how it plays, but I'll BE SHOCKED if a RB goes #1

Good point about nobody really wanting the #1.

That is all the more reason the 9ers try and deal the pick.

As long as Benson does not end up in Miami, I am happy.

Benson is quickly becoming the best player in this draft. He was a little overlooked at Texas despite putting up huge numbers because of the Ricky Williams comparisons. The further he gets away from that image, the better he'll be. Regardless of who has the top pick, I think Benson will eventually be "that guy" unless Mike Williams shows up and runs a 4.3/40 (unlikely).

Only problem I have with your mock is us taking Pac-Man. I'd rather have us take Carlos Rogers with that pick. I think he's overall the more solid player and also has better height and is more fluid.

I'd actually love to bash your mock some more but I can't really think of anything. Good job (I'm sure that's the first time you heard that and not have rug burn on your knees.)

32. NE Patriots::: CB Brandon Browner~ Oregon State

There's a special place in hell for Bill Belichick. The Pats need DB depth and while Browner is a project, there is no better teaching system than what Belichick has installed in New England.

You know I would hate to see what Bellichuck could do with the development of Browner-this is definitely something I would not want to see happen.

I think they may go towards linebacker with McGinest getting up there and Pfifer probably not being back. And now uncertainty with Bruschi condition

What do you know about drafting, you scumbag!??!? Aren't you the tool that picked Bryan Thomas for our ALL-TIME draft? Skidmark much? :lol:

Only problem I have with your mock is us taking Pac-Man. I'd rather have us take Carlos Rogers with that pick. I think he's overall the more solid player and also has better height and is more fluid.

I'd actually love to bash your mock some more but I can't really think of anything. Good job (I'm sure that's the first time you heard that and not have rug burn on your knees.)

It's very refreshing to read this thread now with a few posts and realize that there isn't 15 responses from 10 year olds saying we will be trading the 1st, 2nd, 3rd round picks and Abraham and S Moss for R Moss. :roll:

Hey Booz, welcome.

This is one Pats fan who is glad you are here. :wink:

Hey I like the mock draft idea with the trading of Abraham and all but if that were not to happen could you possibly see us selecting either Alex Barron the OT from Florida State or Brandon Browner the CB from Oregon State?

Absolutely, bro. I'm not a huge fan of developmental athletes for the Jets, and I think Barron will be gone by #26, unfortunately.

Hey, we'll be having a mock draft contest coming up where you can win a HOT T-Shirt from JetNation.com. We'll be releasing details soon--be sure to enter, homey.

Hey I like the mock draft idea with the trading of Abraham and all but if that were not to happen could you possibly see us selecting either Alex Barron the OT from Florida State or Brandon Browner the CB from Oregon State?

Absolutely, bro. I'm not a huge fan of developmental athletes for the Jets, and I think Barron will be gone by #26, unfortunately.

Hey, we'll be having a mock draft contest coming up where you can win a HOT T-Shirt from JetNation.com. We'll be releasing details soon--be sure to enter, homey.

"Developmental athletes for the Jets" :o:o:o

Talk about a friggn' oxymoron.

:P:P:P

If not a developmental player then Justin Miller is a good look at in my mind and he should be there at 26.

BUT, could this be a possibility?

Trade Fabini and B.Thomas with possibly a 2nd day pick to Dallas for the 20th selection and draft Alex Barron OT from Florida State there and go with either Browner or Miller at 26? How awesome would that be.

And to go with Barron we could sign Jonas Jennings.

If not a developmental player then Justin Miller is a good look at in my mind and he should be there at 26.

Trade Fabini to Dallas for the 20th selection and draft Alex Barron OT from Florida State there and go with either Browner or Miller at 26? How awesome would that be.

Fabini for the #20th overall pick in the draft? :o:o:o

Are you losing it 124?

Trade Fabini to Dallas for the 20th selection and draft Alex Barron OT from Florida State there and go with either Browner or Miller at 26? How awesome would that be.

There is not a chance of that happening-Fabini is definitely not worth 1st round material. We do have the issue of tackle to contend with-McKenzie is most likely gone- if cap wise it is possible is Jennings from Buffalo I would like to bring in.

Tom, ya really think Crowder is in the Greg Lloyd mold? Man would i be happy if he was! Here's the issues i have with that, though.

We are currently up against the cap in a bad way. We will definately lose Plax. Not much hope of a decent FA WR acquisition. So i gotta think they will either trade up and go after one of the top 3 or sit still and take the best available at that spot.

Although i'm not too high on Larry Foote, he did an adequate job replacing Kendrell Bell last season and should be able to hold down the fort another season or two.

Overall, you did a good job on your mock. I wish i could somehow hold that much information in my head about every team like that. It seems that you and Green Jets and Ham are gifted in that area. Or, did ya go to Kyper school together? :lol:

Archived