Tomlin To Coach Steelers

NYJ EcKo151

The Steelers have chosen former Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin, 34, as their next head coach.

While an underdog pick, the Rooney's were not afraid to shake things up in an organization that had a Super Bowl hangover. Tomlin has undergone an amazingly fast rise through the coaching ranks and is regarded as a dynamic leader. Most of the Steelers staff will probably follow Ken Whisenhunt to Arizona. Tomlin runs a Cover Two defense, so Dick Lebeau and Pittsburgh's famed 3-4 defense will probably be taken apart sooner than later.

Source: SI.com

Here's a thought:

If the 3-4 defense is taken out of Pittsburgh, would LeBeau be taken out as well and if so... you know who should be persuing him.

Good point... I wouldnt mind having a steeler style defense...

According to ESPNEWS, Tomlin denies this.

Hahahaha. **** the Steelers, I know 124 is with me.

PITTSBURGH -- The Steelers have narrowed their wish list of candidates to replace Bill Cowher to three names -- Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin -- but have not yet made a decision on their next head coach.

A report on Sports Illustrated's Web site, SI.com, on Saturday indicated that Tomlin had been chosen as the successor to Cowher, but the Vikings' defensive coordinator told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that no decision had been made.

"It is untrue," Tomlin said of the report. "I have no idea where it's coming from. I have not talked to the Rooneys today."

Sources also told ESPN.com's John Clayton that the report was incorrect, and the Steelers are not expected to make a decision Saturday.

The team also did not confirm the report Saturday.

"We have heard all the rumors, and we have nothing to confirm at this point," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Tomlin and Grimm, the only remaining in-house candidate, both had their second interviews earlier this week. The Steelers can't talk to Rivera again until the Bears are eliminated from the playoffs. Chicago plays New Orleans in the NFC Championship Game on Sunday.

The Steelers' diligence in finding Cowher's successor cost them offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt, a move that leaves offensive line coach Grimm as the possible front-runner.

"We are pleased with the progress of our search to date,'' Steelers president Art Rooney II said Monday in a statement issued by the team. "We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time.

"Our time frame remains as it was in the beginning. We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Whisenhunt, one of the NFL's top offensive coaches, took the Arizona Cardinals' job Sunday rather than waiting to see if he would be promoted by Pittsburgh. He will be officially introduced by the Cardinals at a news conference Tuesday.

While Whisenhunt was widely considered around the NFL to be Cowher's heir apparent, the Steelers gave no such indication after Cowher resigned Jan. 5. Also, they apparently didn't make a counteroffer to persuade Whisenhunt to stay.

Grimm also interviewed with the Cardinals, but unlike Whisenhunt, didn't get a second interview.

Tomlin had an excellent interview with the Steelers and, like Cowher in 1992, is an on-the-rise candidate despite being only 34 and having minimal experience as an NFL coordinator. Tomlin took over the Vikings' defense this season.

Hiring Grimm, however, would provide the Steelers continuity from one coaching regime to another and would allow them to keep most of their assistant coaches. All are under contract for next season, but a coach hired from outside the organization would likely want to choose his own staff.

Even if Grimm takes over, Whisenhunt's departure is expected to create some changes in the Steelers' offense.

Whisenhunt may take quarterbacks coach Mark Whipple with him as offensive coordinator, meaning the two coaches who have closely worked with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger the last three seasons would be gone.

The 47-year-old Grimm, a Pittsburgh-area native and former Pitt star, won three Super Bowls as a Redskins offensive lineman. He is a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame and has clearly had the respect of the Steelers in his six seasons as an assistant. He was also a Redskins assistant from 1992-2000.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Pretty weird for this to happen.

Mike Tomlin would be a stupid hire. The Vikes run D was good but any team that has a triangle of pat , kevin williams and Napoleon Harris in the middle of their D will stop the run no matter who the coach is. The damning thing about Tomlin is that he had some pretty good talent in his secondary and they couldnt cover their arse with a towel. And I didnt see any crafty in game adjustments by Tomlin when Brady and Pennington were both shredding his D. He kept throwing the same old vanilla stuff at both the Jets and Pats. That to me is what coaching is about. I didnt see it from Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin would be a stupid hire. The Vikes run D was good but any team that has a triangle of pat , kevin williams and Napoleon Harris in the middle of their D will stop the run no matter who the coach is. The damning thing about Tomlin is that he had some pretty good talent in his secondary and they couldnt cover their arse with a towel. And I didnt see any crafty in game adjustments by Tomlin when Brady and Pennington were both shredding his D. He kept throwing the same old vanilla stuff at both the Jets and Pats. That to me is what coaching is about. I didnt see it from Tomlin.

Great points.

I think Tomlin would be a terrible hire.

Great points.

I think Tomlin would be a terrible hire.

I always thought the Steelers wouldn't hire someone from outside the organization.

JetsMan57 hit the nail on the head in his last post. The Vikings D was hopeless in the Secondary.

The Pats and Jets destroyed the Vikes running 5-wide sets.

I always thought the Steelers wouldn't hire someone from outside the organization.

JetsMan57 hit the nail on the head in his last post. The Vikings D was hopeless in the Secondary.

Yeah I agree.

I thought so too.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen has confirmed that former Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin will be the next head coach of the Steelers.

Mortensen has confirmed Michael Silver of SI.com's report, about six hours after Silver had the original scoop. The Steelers and Tomlin denied the report throughout the day Saturday. Tomlin, 34, will likely let most of Pittsburgh's assistants go to Arizona. He will bring the Cover Two defense, so some 3-4 linebackers like Joey Porter may be out of place.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen has confirmed that former Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin will be the next head coach of the Steelers.

Mortensen has confirmed Michael Silver of SI.com's report, about six hours after Silver had the original scoop. The Steelers and Tomlin denied the report throughout the day Saturday. Tomlin, 34, will likely let most of Pittsburgh's assistants go to Arizona. He will bring the Cover Two defense, so some 3-4 linebackers like Joey Porter may be out of place.

So the Steelers need to get rid of some 3-4 guys and we need them... maybe a trade?

I doubt it... but who knows...

to be honest though, he was only there for a year and he may not have had the troops to pull it off. he was the secondary coach in tampa for 5 years and they always had a decent secondary. also, i don't really believe a good coordinator is a prerequisite to be a good head coach.

Shocked by this. The Steelers have 2 offensive coaches that are HC candidates. Keep one of them and you keep the offense in place. You have a DC that isn't a HC candidate. So you would also be able to retain him as well.

They could lose Cowher but keep everything else. I just don't see why you blow this entire thing up. Steelers fans are used to winning. This guy is walking into a bad spot. Especially considering that Pitt has had only 2 coaches in the past 117 years. It isn't going to work. They have a talented roster that needs tweaking.

It doesn't need to be dismantled. I think this move was a mistake.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports the Steelers have offered line coach Russ Grimm their head-coaching job, and he has accepted.

This report is contrary to the ones on ESPN and SI.com that have the Rooneys deciding on Mike Tomlin. The Tribune-Review says Grimm's hiring will be announced at a Monday news conference. Grimm had been the frontrunner for the job before the reports about Tomlin were released.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports the Steelers have offered line coach Russ Grimm their head-coaching job, and he has accepted.

This report is contrary to the ones on ESPN and SI.com that have the Rooneys deciding on Mike Tomlin. The Tribune-Review says Grimm's hiring will be announced at a Monday news conference. Grimm had been the frontrunner for the job before the reports about Tomlin were released.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

This would make more sense with the Rooneys wanting to keep contuity in the system and promote from within the organization instead of going to a total unknown quantity.

Archived