So is Jorge Posada in the death spiral?

RichardSeymour

Posada is 33 years old. He turns 34 this August.

He is at the age where Catchers often precipitously decline. He's caught 682 games in the last 5 years. That takes a toll.

It is entirely possible that his .636 OPS and .235 BA with 1 HR are not just relics of a small sample size, and that he has entered a real and dramatic decline, a "death spiral".

I've heard Yankees fans griping about his defense and bat speed.... curious if you guys are confident this is a blip for him, really worried, or somewhere in between.

It's a big question, because with Giambi, Martinez, Williams, and Womack all seeming to be either bad or mediocre hitters at this point, Posada is a pivotal figure.

If he returns to his usual form the Yankees at least have 5 solid hitters, and can hope to acquire some JAGs to replace some of the dross at the back of the order, and they may be OK.

If he doesn't.... the Yankees are a completely topheavy lineup with 5 black holes chewing up at bats unproductively.

Varitek is hitting .989 with a .325 BA and 6 HRs. Sox fans can be happy for now.... but he just turned 33 and is signed for 3 more years after this one, so there but for the grace of Theo go we....

I wouldn't say "death spiral" just yet.

You want to say that about Giambi or even Bernie I wouldn't argue. What I saw from Bernie this weekend in the field just confirms that he has become a MAJOR liability in the outfield

Giambi is toast. He just does not get it. Still trying to pull everything and now he is going to sit with a "DEAD ARM !?!" WTF. If it were up to me, once Sierra comes back from the DL he would be the everyday DH and Tino would be play everyday at first.

If you think Giambi's life sucks now, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Womack has actually been okay. I still think though he needs to be at the top of the order with Jeter hitting second.

I don't think you can judge Posada just based on a bad month. Guys sometimes have bad months. Sometimes guys have bad years.

The jury is just convening on Posada.

Ju

What scares me about Posada is his power numbers. He always seems to hit home runs early and then slow down! If he is going to slow down from this pace that would be really bad.

Hehehe...but you still have to hand it to them, 80, theyre the best 4th place team money can buy!

blackout...seriously, this is a defense mechanism known as "projection" in the DSM-IV.

Its unbecoming and not helpful to your cause. I dont want to hear from a Yankee fan right now about the problems of the Red Sox.

(whispers) Two hundred million dollars!!!

Bottom Line: You, as a Yankee fan, have to sit back and take it from all comers, BoSox, Mets, hell even GOB can give you sh*t and he is a Tigers fan!!! You havent won sh*t in 4 years, you choked harder than anyone else in the history of sports, and youre currently mired in the worst tankjob in history!

In case you havent noticed, you have MAJOR problems at the moment. Never during the Glory Years did you have such a horrid record! Never since '91 (when the Yankees sucked REALLY hard) did you have a losing April!

Its over, dude, and all the stats of injured Red Sox pitchers wont help you.

The only fans anyone gives Sh#t to anymore are Yankees fans. They're the only ones who deserve it, especially after posts like that.

All things considered, the Mets are horrendous as well. They also have the highest payroll in the NL.

The only fans anyone gives Sh#t to anymore are Yankees fans. They're the only ones who deserve it, especially after posts like that.

You seee...the douchebag talks sh*t all the time...and yet his pathetic OYW's get shelled by none other than GOB's Tigers

It's not like the team doesn't hit, they can hit.....the pen there in beantown is in shambles

Forget the starters....the pen is where the problem lies

I fully anticipate Thea to add much $$$$$$$$ to a team whose pen is shot =D>

Not at all...I can spend a great deal of time discussing the state of Red Sox Nation if you wish.

Lets talk pitching because as we all know, hitting wont be a problem for the World Champs. I'm not at all concerned about my starters except for Matt Clement who got WAY too much money and I hate to see in a big spot.

The bullpen is a bit of a concern because the BoSox seem to have a quota of 2 or more no-names they feel as if they must carry every year. Who the F let Blaine Neal into the stadium without a ticket anyway? And Alan Embree I've hated since day one! Left-handed or not, he is garbage. Keith Foulke is our big money closer for a good reason...when he comes into the game lately, he makes the score, well, CLOSER! He'll be fine though, in the long run. The Matt Mantei experiment is nearing an end, I'm not impressed.

Mike Timlin is still a god though.

Notice, Yankee homers, how I avoided projecting vitriol towards the Yankees in this instance as many of you would have done in this spot. Its called being rational and level-headed.

Hehehe...but you still have to hand it to them, 80, theyre the best 4th place team money can buy!

blackout...seriously, this is a defense mechanism known as "projection" in the DSM-IV.

Its unbecoming and not helpful to your cause. I dont want to hear from a Yankee fan right now about the problems of the Red Sox.

(whispers) Two hundred million dollars!!!

Bottom Line: You, as a Yankee fan, have to sit back and take it from all comers, BoSox, Mets, hell even GOB can give you sh*t and he is a Tigers fan!!! You havent won sh*t in 4 years, you choked harder than anyone else in the history of sports, and youre currently mired in the worst tankjob in history!

In case you havent noticed, you have MAJOR problems at the moment. Never during the Glory Years did you have such a horrid record! Never since '91 (when the Yankees sucked REALLY hard) did you have a losing April!

Its over, dude, and all the stats of injured Red Sox pitchers wont help you.

this is the worst the Yankees have done in 10 years, and they couldn't be playing any worse than they have right now

despite that, they're only 2.5 games behind the red sox? oh, but its a sin for me to bring that up? shut the **** up dude, try getting outside some time

this is the worst the Yankees have done in 10 years, and they couldn't be playing any worse than they have right now

despite that, they're only 2.5 games behind the red sox? oh, but its a sin for me to bring that up? shut the F#ck up dude, try getting outside some time

Who you telling to shut the F up, boy? Are you insinuating that the Yankees are no longer striving to win the World Series and that they are complacent in beating the BoSox? Get real, chump. And STOP MAKING EXCUSES ALREADY!!! The Yankee bats are colder than the feet of a bride from Georgia!

Who you telling to shut the F up, boy? Are you insinuating that the Yankees are no longer striving to win the World Series and that they are complacent in beating the BoSox? Get real, chump. And STOP MAKING EXCUSES ALREADY!!! The Yankee bats are colder than the feet of a bride from Georgia!

im implying that your the red sox fan, so why the hell are you acting like Boston is in first place?

a red sox fan bragging to a yankee fan is like stevie wonder making blind jokes about ray charles [-X

I dont recall ever saying I would settle beating the red sox, whos insinuating who?

the very mention of the Red Sox implies that youre satisfied that they are playing mediocre baseball in spite of major injuries when the Yanks have ABSOLUTELY NO EXCUSES WHATSOEVER for their less-than-stellar play because of their payroll and decrepit roster!

And as a Yankee Hater...I get to be a fan of the Red Sox and 29 other teams so long as the Yankees lose! So I will wave the "Go Orioles" banner all year if I have to. I am revelling in the new Mets taking over NYC like a firestorm. They're kicking the Yankees off the backpages of every major newspaper in town.

Sorry...I know it not fair, but it is an advantage of being a Yankee Hater that Yankee fans cannot enjoy at the same level. I dont expect you to understand, I really dont, but it matters not to Yankee Hater Nation! But we all had to throw up in a bucket when you won every year...now we get to dance on your grave when you lose every year. Turn about is fair playas they say!

Archived