Okay, I'm calling it now, Michael Turner is a Jet in '07

Untouchable

We've just released Barlow and now the only decent RB on the roster is Leon Washington. Houston is fragile and even when healthy didn't get many looks last season. Plus we all know Blaylock stinks and will probably be next on the chopping block.

All this leads me to believe that Michael Turner is a Jet in '07.

I've soured on the idea of trading our 1st round pick on him, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Jets and Chargers swing a deal for the 37th overall pick. Many reports are that the Jets think Turner is the real deal and would form a potent rushing attack with Leon.

He has everything you look for in a franchise back and we all know that the pickings are slim through the draft and FA. At one time, Cam Cameron actually said that Turner is a better in between the tackles runner than LaDanian Tomlinson.

So, I'm calling in right now, Turner will be wearing Jet green sometime in early March.

I'd love to see Turner with the Jets, and if we can get him for a 2nd rounder it's a no-brainer. He's more of a sure thing than all these RBs coming out of college. Some of them are pretty good, but the draft is such a crap shoot. Turner has at least proven he's built for the NFL (albeit on limited carries).

I think Cedric Houston is worth holding on to. He looked real good in '05, and was one of the bright spots of that otherwise forgetable season. He was on and off with injuries this past year, and I certainly feel he deserves another shot. If we don't end up getting Turner, I think he and Leon can be a good change-of-pace combo with an improved O-line.

If we can get Turner for one of our 2nds and not our 1st, I would go for that.

That plus picking up Clements from Buffalo and Carriker with #25, and you have a trifecta right there.

With Clements asking to be paid as the top CB in the league, I don't see him coming here. There's no way Mangini and Tannenbaum dish out a contract in the neighborhood of $60 million.

And Carriker is a stretch at #25. By having a great senior bowl, his stock has risen to the top 15 or maybe even the top 10.

I'd love to see Turner with the Jets, and if we can get him for a 2nd rounder it's a no-brainer. He's more of a sure thing than all these RBs coming out of college. Some of them are pretty good, but the draft is such a crap shoot. Turner has at least proven he's built for the NFL (albeit on limited carries).

That is the most sane thing I've read about Turner on this board. Turner has 157 carries in his NFL career (3 seasons).

Giving up a 2nd round pick would be a good deal for the Jets. I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder.

That is the most sane thing I've read about Turner on this board. Turner has 157 carries in his NFL career (3 seasons).

Giving up a 2nd round pick would be a good deal for the Jets. I wouldn't give up a 1st rounder.

The fact that he only has 157 carries is a GOOD thing. These RB's only have a certain number of carries in their bodies.

The fact that he only has 157 carries is a GOOD thing. These RB's only have a certain number of carries in their bodies.

It's good like you said but it's also bad that he has never had more than 80 carries in a season.

A starting NFL back usually has 330-370 carries a year. Can Turner handle that kind of workload?

With Clements asking to be paid as the top CB in the league, I don't see him coming here. There's no way Mangini and Tannenbaum dish out a contract in the neighborhood of $60 million.

And Carriker is a stretch at #25. By having a great senior bowl, his stock has risen to the top 15 or maybe even the top 10.

Here is a recent mock draft where Carriker falls to us at #25:

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9961542

And there are a lot of teams with ample cap room. Someone has to sign Clements. Might as well be us. Still not sure about Mangini and Tannenbaum playing it close to the vest, either. They almost traded away the farm last year to move up to #2 and take Reggie Bush.

It's good like you said but it's also bad that he has never had more than 80 carries in a season.

A starting NFL back usually has 330-370 carries a year. Can Turner handle that kind of workload?

There are question marks about every back you can bring in here and the ones without question marks you can't get. Turner is as good a guy to bet on as any i can see out there. This is a guy who was 2nd in the NCAA in yards TWICE. There is no reason to think he can't carry the load.

There are question marks about every back you can bring in here and the ones without question marks you can't get. Turner is as good a guy to bet on as any i can see out there. This is a guy who was 2nd in the NCAA in yards TWICE. There is no reason to think he can't carry the load.

He did that at Northern Illinois against MAC teams. The MAC is barely a step above 1-AA.

Ok, if the Jets brass thinks Turner is the real deal Im fine giving up a 2nd round pick. I'd hate to give up that 37th pick overall for a RB. Any chance we deal our second 2nd rounder for Turner?

Also, is anyone besides me concerned that Turner could be the next Lamont Jordan? A great back up who $hits on opposing defenses when they are tired and the backup is fresh?

...They better make a run at Nate Clements. If we gonna overpay for a position, I dont mind it being a #1 CB.

Ok, if the Jets brass thinks Turner is the real deal Im fine giving up a 2nd round pick. I'd hate to give up that 37th pick overall for a RB. Any chance we deal our second 2nd rounder for Turner?

Also, is anyone besides me concerned that Turner could be the next Lamont Jordan? A great back up who $hits on opposing defenses when they are tired and the backup is fresh?

That's a great point. 95% of the posters here think that Turner is going to be a 1200-1300 yard back as soon as he becomes a Jet.

I don't buy it.

1200-1300 yards is a middle of the road starting back. I'd be shocked if he didn't do that.

LDT had 1335 yards in 2004. Is he a middle of the road back? It also took him 339 carries to accomplish that feat.

BTW: The defenses in the MAC have always been pedestrian.

He did that at Northern Illinois against MAC teams. The MAC is barely a step above 1-AA.

Are you sure? Sagarin's rankings has the A-10 above the MAC.

1 BIG 12 (A) = 81.18 12

2 BIG TEN (A) = 79.58 11

3 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 78.88 12

4 PACIFIC-10 (A) = 77.94 10

5 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 75.16 9

6 BIG EAST (A) = 74.65 8

7 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 68.98 8

8 WESTERN ATHLETIC (A) = 67.21 16

9 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 62.44 8

10 BIG WEST (A) = 61.04 6

11 ATLANTIC 10 (AA)= 60.30 11 :Nuts:

12 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 57.64 12 :confused:

13 GATEWAY (AA)= 50.99 7

14 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 48.94 8

15 BIG SKY (AA)= 47.19 9

16 SOUTHERN (AA)= 45.80 9

17 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 40.77 8

18 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 39.07 8

19 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 36.93 9

20 PATRIOT LEAGUE (AA)= 36.78 7

21 SOUTHWESTERN (AA)= 33.48 10

22 I-AA INDEPENDENTS (AA)= 30.96 16

23 PIONEER (AA)= 11.93 5

24 METRO ATLANTIC (AA)= -5.32 9

25 NORTHEAST (AA)= -11.96 6

Are you sure? Sagarin's rankings has the A-10 above the MAC.

1 BIG 12 (A) = 81.18 12

2 BIG TEN (A) = 79.58 11

3 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 78.88 12

4 PACIFIC-10 (A) = 77.94 10

5 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 75.16 9

6 BIG EAST (A) = 74.65 8

7 CONFERENCE USA (A) = 68.98 8

8 WESTERN ATHLETIC (A) = 67.21 16

9 I-A INDEPENDENTS (A) = 62.44 8

10 BIG WEST (A) = 61.04 6

11 ATLANTIC 10 (AA)= 60.30 11 :Nuts:

12 MID-AMERICAN (A) = 57.64 12 :confused:

13 GATEWAY (AA)= 50.99 7

14 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 48.94 8

15 BIG SKY (AA)= 47.19 9

16 SOUTHERN (AA)= 45.80 9

17 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 40.77 8

18 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 39.07 8

19 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 36.93 9

20 PATRIOT LEAGUE (AA)= 36.78 7

21 SOUTHWESTERN (AA)= 33.48 10

22 I-AA INDEPENDENTS (AA)= 30.96 16

23 PIONEER (AA)= 11.93 5

24 METRO ATLANTIC (AA)= -5.32 9

25 NORTHEAST (AA)= -11.96 6

I was going to say that the A-10 was better than the MAC but I was to lazy to look it up.

You proved me wrong (in a good way)!

1200-1300 yards is a middle of the road starting back. I'd be shocked if he didn't do that.

With this line? He could do it, but it would come down to the last couple of weeks, its def. not given.

RB= overrated

get the damn defense (or O-Line) solved first.

I am really on the fence about Turner. Some people want him if the price is right, and I suppose I support that. I am also very scepticle when it comes to trading away draft choices. The only thing that gets me is a lot of Clemens supports are also Turner supporters, which to me, is a bit hypocritical given the situation. I mean how much has Turner proven in garbage time and as a backup? It just doesn't sit well with me. I can be proven otherwise, but not until I see Turner in a full time role.

You have to be durable no matter what league you play in if you want to be 2nd in the NCAA in yards. He touched the ball a lot of times.

With that logic David Ball (WR, New Hampshire) should be the highest rated WR in the draft.

He was damn durable at UNH while breaking the NCAA record for TD receptions.

PFSIKH already pointed out that the A-10 (1-AA) was a tougher conference to play in than the MAC.

With that logic David Ball (WR, New Hampshire) should be the highest rated WR in the draft.

He was damn durable at UNH while breaking the NCAA record for TD receptions.

PFSIKH already pointed out that the A-10 (1-AA) was a tougher conference to play in than the MAC.

You questioned turner's durability. The amount of carries he had in college show that he can be durable. You want to question his arcade YPC too?

You questioned turner's durability. The amount of carries he had in college show that he can be durable. You want to question his arcade YPC too?

From wikipedia:

Turner attended Northern Illinois University. In his first college game in 2000, he ran for 230 yards against Eastern Michigan. As a junior, he finished second in the nation with 1,915 yards, including 282 in one game against Western Illinois. He again finished second in the NCAA in rushing in 2003 with 1,648 yards. He left NIU with the school records for rushing yards (4,941), touchdowns (43) and all-purpose yards (6,038). Since his departure from NIU, two records (rushing yards and touchdowns) have been broken by Garrett Wolfe. Even though his records have been broken, Michael Turner is still the greatest football player to have ever played at Northern Illinois University.

Way to rack up those records against crappy teams only to have those records broken by that Hall of Famer, Garrett Wolfe.

From wikipedia:

Way to rack up those records against crappy teams only to have those records broken by that Hall of Famer, Garrett Wolfe.

Wolfe is gonna be a good pro but that post proves nothing. No matter what league you're in if you can carry the ball enough to be 2nd in the NCAA in yards that means you have some level of durability and that combined with his almost 6 YPC in the NFL is the reason why people love him.

Does the o line need work? Yup. But we need a real RB too and badly.

I see you have dif convo's going right now, but I wanted to get back to the RB vs. everything else.

Most agree we need someone to run with Leon, but a 1st round pick is worth it. Leon, is a great scat back, we need a big, and fast guy. They can be had all over the draft board. Look at Mike Bell...he's big (sort of) and def. fast. undrafted or 7th round, i can't remember, either way, he would be pefect in our offense, one move, and go. Hell he was from ASU, its not exactly like he was under the radar.

In short, a first round pick should be used for more difficult positions to fill, LT, CB, QB, DT, LB...RB's are a dime a dozen, and always will be.

Wolfe is gonna be a good pro but that post proves nothing. No matter what league you're in if you can carry the ball enough to be 2nd in the NCAA in yards that means you have some level of durability and that combined with his almost 6 YPC in the NFL is the reason why people love him.

Ever heard of Marcel Shipp? He was a stud who had plenty of carries back at UMass and broke all kinds of records.

He was drafted by the Cardinals and sucked.

If he played for the Chargers he would have had great stats.

Ever heard of Marcel Shipp? He was a stud who had plenty of carries back at UMass and broke all kinds of records.

He was drafted by the Cardinals and sucked.

If he played for the Chargers he would have had great stats.

Shipp

226 touches, 9 TD's, 4.4 yards per rush in 02.

he was good for one season, I'm not sure what happened to him, but its tough to even pull those numbers on any card team.

I always thought he was decent, then again the stats don't back it up after 02...

Shipp

226 touches, 9 TD's, 4.4 yards per rush in 02.

he was good for one season, I'm not sure what happened to him, but its tough to even pull those numbers on any card team.

I always thought he was decent, then again the stats don't back it up after 02...

In college he was awesome. I was just trying to debunk madmike's posts that college stats don't count.

Turner has had the luxury of playing behind the best RB in the NFL and also a pretty damn good O-Line.

In college he was awesome. I was just trying to debunk madmike's posts that college stats don't count.

Turner has had the luxury of playing behind the best RB in the NFL and also a pretty damn good O-Line.

I agree with what you are saying, I think Turner could be good, but the Jets need more than an RB, and it doesn't seem like they are ready to go after skill positions. Especially with the way their lines are set up, we just need so much at this point.

(that shipp post was more of an excuse to see if i liked him because he was good, or liked him because i remembered him being good...turns out he wasn't 'good')

Archived