It's settled, my favorite 1st round pick revealed

Untouchable

I doubt they do it in the 1st round..

Its tough to keep 3 first round olineman together.. We eventually will have to let one of them go.

That's a solid draft philosophy.

We better not draft him. Eventually, he's not going to be on the team.

I'd love this pick. For years I've wanted the jets to go heavy on the O-line in the draft and a pick like this would give them three first rounders in two seasons blocking up front. There are a lot of things the Jets can do right on draft day. This is one of them.

Then get Marcus McCauley or Chris Houston at 12. They're both very talented and will come alot cheaper than Clements.

I'd be ok with that. Still doubt there is even a 1/100 chance the Jets even look at a QB with any pick as high as 37. Stanton would have to slip to our second 2nd-rounder for the Jets to look at him & it's unlikely he'll last that long. But going with the rest of the picks you propose we'd "have" then, I'd like:

#12: Marshawn Lynch. (Assuming Carriker is already off the board). Even if McCauley and Houston are both there, improving the front-seven helps both the rush and pass defense. Even the Jets signing another scrub CB last week tells me that Mangini thinks he has enough to work with and may not be targeting the position in the draft or FA. Also, starting a rookie at CB and LB and DE may be too much all at once.Normally I'd rather shore up the lines first before HB, but Lynch is special & it would help team morale; if you replace a popular guy like Vilma, do it with a guy whose clips will routinely show up on SportsCenter.

#25: Justin Blalock. Forget "rules" about not taking a guard in round 1. Blalock is a special player & you don't get too many shots at guards with true first-round grades coincide with when you need one so badly. Top guards are now getting $50M contracts as FA's and neither of ours are much good. The best you can say is that Kendall is average & wouldn't be a liability if he was the weakest link. He gets no push in the running game & a 6'5 guard should weigh more than the 285-290 lbs he played at last year. Blalock is a STUD & with what he's got from the neck-up I don't worry about him picking up the offense fast enough to start in game 1.

#37: Justin Harrell or Quinn Pitcock. Harrell might not be there, but anyone projected to the end of round 1 can easily slip to the top of round 2. Kimo is getting released (didn't realize until yesterday that he was due a $600K roster bonus March 2) & was lousy anyway. With such a huge hole at 1/3 of our DL, can't wait any longer than this pick to address it; particularly when you can without reaching for a player.

#59: Zak DeOssie. I'm guessing Tangini would be smitten with a guy who went to Brown if they need a new "defensive QB." Big enough now at 250 lbs and at almost 6'5 not only has the frame to get even bigger, but also has the height to bat down passes. Ran a 4.6 which is more than enough speed for a 3-4 ILB who doesn't need to go sideline to sideline. He might even project to OLB. If not, he replaces Barton and his almost-$5M-cap-number in '08 inside. Don't think he'll be there at #89 with his measurables & combine showing.

#89: Manuel Ramirez. Even with us taking Blalock in round 1, I still wouldn't pass on this guy if he slips to here. Most likely Kendall would still start in '07, but in '08 our OL would have D'Brick + Blalock + Mangold + Ramirez. Only thing left is RT and it seems we'll address that this year as well; if not we draft a RT in the 3rd round next year. The kind of OL that ANYONE can run behind with success. Now imagine Lynch & Leon running behind them and:

#154: LeRon McClain. Usually blocking FB's don't get taken in the mid-rounds, but when it's such a glaring hole, you fill that hole with a starter when you can & don't risk him not being there a round later to "save" a 5th-round pick.

(After this it's probably too low to truly project individual players, but still can target BPA at certain positions, at least for depth. Getting an immediate starter can certainly happen, but expecting one is wishful thinking.):

#185: BPA from WR, NT, RT, QB, TE, LB

#198: BPA from WR, NT, RT, QB, TE, LB

49ers supposedly have a stiffy for Carriker at #11.

Sort of funny how we are hoping to land A. Thomas, and draft Carriker...I guess we aren't alone in that thinking.

As someone said before, I have been wanting the Jets to go O-line heavy for a long time. Getting Blalock would put this franchise in a great spot for years to come.

I would like to see us go after Blalock and Tank Tyler.

Tyler is 6'2" 323. Put up 42 reps at the combine. Here's a profile from NFL.com: http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/tyler_demarcus

Check out the analysis towards the bottom of the page.

If you are looking for a movement-oriented defensive tackle, Tyler is not your man. However, if you want someone to tie up multiple blockers, that is where he excels.

Guy has all the physical tools to fit in at NT in our system.

These picks would really have us building from the trenches.

Then get Marcus McCauley or Chris Houston at 12. They're both very talented and will come alot cheaper than Clements.

Want no parts of someone who was benched in his senior season and can't ever translate his great measurables onto the field.

Love Chris Houston though and was hoping he'd be an option for us at 25. Looks like he'll be the second corner off the board now after his monster combine coupled with his good production.

I am starting to like Chris Houston at 25, assuming we don't sign a corner. I think it's a lot more likely that Blalock will be around at 37 than some of the other guys we could take in that spot.

After Houstons combine there is no way he makes it to us at 25.

Archived