ELI gets 5 year extension from Giants

faba

gets 5-year extensionBY ARTHUR STAPLE AND BOB GLAUBER

March 19, 2007

Giants fans have complained about the team's unwillingness to spend in the free-agent market, but the Giants have invested heavily in their own players this offseason.

They not only re-signed center Shaun O'Hara to a five-year, $19-million deal hours before the free-agency signing period began March 2, but they also spent big money to make sure Eli Manning remains their quarterback for many years to come.

[

Forget about Manning's inconsistency in his first three seasons; he's here to stay.

The Giants exercised a "buy-back" of Manning's contract earlier this month, a move that keeps the fourth-year quarterback under contract through the 2012 season, Newsday has learned.

Had the Giants not made the move,

Manning would have become a free agent after the 2007 season.

The move wasn't cheap.

According to league sources familiar with Manning's contract, the Giants gave him a $5-million buy-back bonus as well as a $3-million roster bonus.

His base salary for the 2007 season will be $6.45 million. It increases to $8.45 million in 2008 and $8.95 million in 2009.

Manning signed a six-year, $54-million deal in July 2004, but the deal would have voided after four seasons because Manning achieved playing-time incentives in his first season.

Giants sources last night confirmed that the move was made and that the team had planned it well in advance.

A team source said the money allocated to Manning has not been a factor in the team's reluctance to spend big on free agents.

The source indicated that there were not enough quality players available in free agency worth pursuing, and that the huge contracts earned by some players was not in line with what the Giants believed their value to be.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese could not be reached for comment.

gets 5-year extensionBY ARTHUR STAPLE AND BOB GLAUBER

March 19, 2007

Giants fans have complained about the team's unwillingness to spend in the free-agent market, but the Giants have invested heavily in their own players this offseason.

They not only re-signed center Shaun O'Hara to a five-year, $19-million deal hours before the free-agency signing period began March 2, but they also spent big money to make sure Eli Manning remains their quarterback for many years to come.

[

Forget about Manning's inconsistency in his first three seasons; he's here to stay.

The Giants exercised a "buy-back" of Manning's contract earlier this month, a move that keeps the fourth-year quarterback under contract through the 2012 season, Newsday has learned.

Had the Giants not made the move,

Manning would have become a free agent after the 2007 season.

The move wasn't cheap.

According to league sources familiar with Manning's contract, the Giants gave him a $5-million buy-back bonus as well as a $3-million roster bonus.

His base salary for the 2007 season will be $6.45 million. It increases to $8.45 million in 2008 and $8.95 million in 2009.

Manning signed a six-year, $54-million deal in July 2004, but the deal would have voided after four seasons because Manning achieved playing-time incentives in his first season.

Giants sources last night confirmed that the move was made and that the team had planned it well in advance.

A team source said the money allocated to Manning has not been a factor in the team's reluctance to spend big on free agents.

The source indicated that there were not enough quality players available in free agency worth pursuing, and that the huge contracts earned by some players was not in line with what the Giants believed their value to be.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese could not be reached for comment.

Wait a second - the Giants playing him an extra game or two as a rookie voided two full years on his rookie contract?

So effectively gave up the #4 pick in round 1 (Rivers), the #2 or #3 pick in round 3 (Kaeding or Hardwick), and their #1 pick in 2005 (Merriman) to sign Eli Manning for 4 years? And did so knowing full-well that his first season or two of those 4 years he likely wouldn't be anything special?

Accorsi & Coughlin could each very well be dumber than Bradway.

With Tiki gone it should be interesting to see how well Eli leads, as 4H said, and to see how well he can lead the offense to points because we all know, or should know, that that offense was Tiki Barber's for the last few seasons. Now it is Eli's. Lets see what the guy can do.

This makes no sense to me.

The verdict isn't even out on Manning anymore if you ask me. He'll be heading into his 4th year and has shown week in and week out that he's way too inconsistent to be a top notch QB in this league.

He's very inaccurate (never even completed more than 57% of his passes in a season) and melts down when pressure is in his face.

This kid just simply isn't a franchise QB.

Despite having a mega amount of talent on offense the past few seasons (Burress, Shockey, Toomer, Barber) he still hasn't been able to get it done.

The bottom line is that Eli never would've been drafted #1 overall or even Top 10 for that matter if his name was Eli Johnson or Eli Smith.

The verdict isn't even out on Manning anymore if you ask me. He'll be heading into his 4th year and has shown week in and week out that he's way too inconsistent to be a top notch QB in this league.

He's very inaccurate (never even completed more than 57% of his passes in a season) and melts down when pressure is in his face.

Despite having a mega amount of talent on offense the past few seasons (Burress, Shockey, Toomer, Barber) he still hasn't been able to get it done.

The bottom line is that Eli never would've been drafted #1 overall or even Top 10 for that matter if his name was Eli Johnson or Eli Smith.

Couldn't have said it any better?;)

They have no choice but to extend him. They have banked their franchise on him.

Well we made a mistake with this guy. Let's make it worse by continuing the mistake for the next 5 seasons.

They'd be better off with a couple of seasons of high draft picks.

With Eli at the helm, who says they don't still accomplish that :)

they already sold the farm to buy a shiny new tractor, they may as well keep making tractor payments.

meanwhile the crops are flourishing in san diego

Thanks for the good laugh today JoeWilly! This one had me rollin.... :rl:

Someone needs to send the Repo man to the NYG... lol

Thanks for the good laugh today JoeWilly! This one had me rollin.... :rl:

Someone needs to send the Repo man to the NYG... lol

I remember back in 2001 when the Jets drafted Santana Moss and the next 5 players to follow him were:

OG Steve Hutchinson

OT Jeff Backus

NT/DT Casey Hampton

SS Adam Archuleta

CB Nate Clements

Oh what could've been....

I remember back in 2001 when the Jets drafted Santana Moss and the next 5 players to follow him were:

OG Steve Hutchinson

OT Jeff Backus

NT/DT Casey Hampton

SS Adam Archuleta

CB Nate Clements

Oh what could've been....

Im just gald we never made this mistake with a QB... you know giving a QB a huge extension without enough good reason to...

oh ****... nevermind... Im losing my biggest homer award now... lol

Im just gald we never made this mistake with a QB... you know giving a QB a huge extension without enough good reason to...

oh ****... nevermind... Im losing my biggest homer award now... lol

I'm starting to like you more and more ecurb.;-)

I'm starting to like you more and more ecurb.;-)

ahh until I go a bit further here.. lol

Im glad they kept Chad here and you know where I stand on who should be the starter in 07'.... I just think they flat out overpaid the guy... by a lot...

Archived