If we go O line with our first pick, who would you rather have?

CoachTsurfing

I think there are two players that we might select. The obvious one is Blalock at the guard position. The other is the tackle spot and Staley. I know that we just signed Clement back, but many of us feel he is just a little better then a back-up. Many have brought up that he had to help out Moore and that is why he sucked so bad. So, do you shore up the guard position and hope that Clement was just helping out Moore or go with Staley who is a lot like Brick, ie.. light in the pants and hope he develops??? I go with Blalock and hope Clement has a better year. Opinions???

much with mangold being available for our 2nd 1st rounder last year, if blalock is still on the board when we're on the clock he's a nobrainer.

Not when you have so many glaring needs on defense, such as CB, or a real 3-4 ILB/OLB. Depends on what players are available there at 25. Getting Blalock though would make this line tremendous from years to come.

Ben Grubbs is another option at guard and he isn't rated much lower than Blalock, if at all.

I would much rather have him or Blalock than Staley. Staley is very athletic but we already have that in Fergueson and he's also somewhat raw. He is undersized and is more of a LT prospect. I don't think he could handle the RT position since run-blocking isn't his strength.

We need help in the run-blocking department and Staley doesn't give us that.

I like that idea stonehands. If Blalock is gone, try and trade down to the top of the second and take grubs. I could see that happening. Especially if there is a run on the cb's as well.

this might sound insane but it's possible both are first round worthy

If it is determined that we want to go OL with our first pick, I am in favor of trading out of the first round and grabbing Grubbs in the early second.

You lose the player a year earlier by doing that. Can't sign a 2nd-rounder for more than 4 years on his rookie deal. Late first-rounders you get for 5 years. It's not the same. The last year before extending the contract, you'd be looking at a cap # of around $2M for a late first-rounder & a 2nd-rounder that same year you'll have to pony up a $50M+ contract if he's an above-average guard. 2nd half of the first round is the best bargain going. First round talent for mediocre-talent money.

Archived