David Harris Profile...

Smizzy

Over the past two seasons, Harris has made remarkable progress on the football field. He entered the program with great promise, but suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear in his left knee during the second game of his freshman year (against Houston in 2003) and it took him more than two years to recover from surgery.

Harris would culminate his career by earning All-American second-team honors and share

The Bo Schembechler Most Valuable Player Award with tailback Mike Hart. The coaches cite his consistency in shutting down the inside rush lanes as the main reason the Wolverines would lead the nation in rush defense, allowing just 43.38 yards per game, the lowest season total by an NCAA Division I-A team since the 1993 University of Arizona defense gave up 30.1 yards per game.

Harris was a first-team all-state selection by the Detroit Free Press as a senior linebacker at Ottawa Hills High School. He ranked sixth on the Detroit News Blue Chip list and was named to its Dream Team. He was rated the No. 13 player on Mick McCabe's Fab 50 of Michigan's top college football prospects list and rated the No. 35 player in the Midwest by SuperPrep magazine. He was also a three-star prospect and No. 23 inside linebacker by Rivals100.com, and rated the No. 48 player in the Midwest by Prep Football Report.

A two-year starter at linebacker, Harris recorded 295 career tackles, including 16 sacks and 14 stops behind the line of scrimmage. On offense, he rushed for 734 career yards and 15 touchdowns. He set school records for solo tackles in a season (114) and career (225). He registered 140 tackles and 12 stops for losses as a senior and set the school single-season record with 158 tackles his junior year. He also played fullback as a senior, rushing for 565 yards and nine touchdowns. He competed in track and field as a junior.

Harris enrolled at Michigan in 2002, spending the season on the scout team as an inside linebacker. He appeared in two games in 2003, but suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee against Houston. He underwent surgery and missed the rest of the season, finishing with two tackles.

Harris played in seven games, starting against Iowa at inside linebacker in 2004. He missed five games after he re-injured his knee against Iowa, registering just 10 solo tackles with a forced fumble for the season. He continued to rehabilitate his knee throughout the 2005 offseason, but suffered an ankle sprain in fall camp, missing the season opener against Northern Illinois. He returned to start the final 11 games at weak-side inside linebacker, winning the Roger Zatkoff Award winner as Michigan's top linebacker.

He led the team with 88 tackles (52 solos) as a junior in 2005. He had one sack, six stops for losses and three pass deflections. He also caused two fumbles and recovered another.

Harris shifted to the more traditional middle linebacker position in 2006, earning second-team All-American honors. He again led the team with 96 tackles (73 solos), coming up with three sacks, 14 stops behind the line of scrimmage and his first career interception.

In 33 games at Michigan, Harris started 25 times. He closed out his career with 196 tackles (136 solos), four sacks for minus-29 yards and 20 stops for losses of 68 yards. He caused three fumbles and recovered another. He gained 8 yards on an interception return and also deflected four passes.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a thick upper body frame with good chest muscle definition, broad shoulders, developed arms, thick neck, good thickness in his thighs and calves

He was On the Ravens and then in ATL last season...I don't think he signed on with any one yet....He is a solid LB'er and I thought he would be better than Adalius Thomas...

Man, I've never heard of the guy, if you say he had promise and was gonna be good, I guess the comparison is good.

Harris was considered a lock as the Patriots pick had they not traded out of the #28 spot.

Just a simple comment, but the Jets need to do less of worrying about trumping what NE is going to do next, and more of what is in the best interest of the NYJ.

I imagine they were thinking along those lines. At least I hope so.

Just a simple comment, but the Jets need to do less of worrying about trumping what NE is going to do next, and more of what is in the best interest of the NYJ.

I imagine they were thinking along those lines. At least I hope so.

I don't think the Jets give a crap about "trumping" New England. It's just a fun fact to point out when Patsy fans try to criticize the pick.

For example: Harris is such a bad pick at 47th overall, the Pats almost took him at 28th overall! Hehehe!

I don't think the Jets give a crap about "trumping" New England. It's just a fun fact to point out when Patsy fans try to criticize the pick.

For example: Harris is such a bad pick at 47th overall, the Pats almost took him at 28th overall! Hehehe!

Jet fans need to stop it then, is probably more accurate.

They ALMOST took him? And you KNOW this, how? Because it was in bitoni's mock draft?

Archived