You Can't Spin This

The Troll

Before the draft, when people were bitching about the Jets lack of pursuing any players worth a damn in free agency, everyone said "Wait until the draft. In Mangini I trust. You'll see". You know what I see? A team that has four draft picks. FOUR ****ING DRAFT PICKS! If you had told me heading into today that the Jets would end up with four ****ing picks in the entire draft, I would have laughed right in your face. We aren't the Redskins, after all. But, sure enough, we have four picks, and two of them are LATE rounders that can't really be expected to contribute to anything more than special teams. If you hit on one, great, but it is by no means expected.

Then, to top it off, whenever we traded for Thomas Jones, I blasted the move because I wanted to keep the 37th pick and I was widely criticized for it. Well, guess what the Bears do with our 37th pick? They parlay it into a later second, two thirds, and sixth. If a team offered you that for Thomas Jones straight-up, is anyone willing to tell me they wouldn't take it? If you say "no", you are either a fool, a damn fool, or a liar.

Don't get me wrong, I love the players the Jets drafted. But the Jets needed more than just those two players. They had more than four needs heading into the draft, and now they only have four draft picks to spend them. Mangenius my ass. Oh yeah, and while we were busy trading our entire draft, the Patriots got an extra first rounder yet a-****ing-gain.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Before the draft, when people were bitching about the Jets lack of pursuing any players worth a damn in free agency, everyone said "Wait until the draft. In Mangini I trust. You'll see". You know what I see? A team that has four draft picks. FOUR ****ING DRAFT PICKS! If you had told me heading into today that the Jets would end up with four ****ing picks in the entire draft, I would have laughed right in your face. We aren't the Redskins, after all. But, sure enough, we have four picks, and two of them are LATE rounders that can't really be expected to contribute to anything more than special teams. If you hit on one, great, but it is by no means expected.

Then, to top it off, whenever we traded for Thomas Jones, I blasted the move because I wanted to keep the 37th pick and I was widely criticized for it. Well, guess what the Bears do with our 37th pick? They parlay it into a later second, two thirds, and sixth. If a team offered you that for Thomas Jones straight-up, is anyone willing to tell me they wouldn't take it? If you say "no", you are either a fool, a damn fool, or a liar.

Don't get me wrong, I love the players the Jets drafted. But the Jets needed more than just those two players. They had more than four needs heading into the draft, and now they only have four draft picks to spend them. Mangenius my ass. Oh yeah, and while we were busy trading our entire draft, the Patriots got an extra first rounder yet a-****ing-gain.

We did have 10 picks last year 8 of which contributed to the team, if these two guys step up and contribute that is ten players in two years that contribute to the team. If you're unhappy with that I don't know what to tell you. I agree that it would have been nice to save a 3rd or 4th to pick up an o-linemen but we got two great players and ten players in last 2 drafts that either start or see a good amount of playing time.

Well, on the plus side Troll, if you really feel we will not be improved by opening day, I guarantee you, with our schedule, unless Penny makes significant improvements this year, he will be gone within 4 games. We simply don't have the talent to compete without solid to excellent QB play this year, against a string of good teams.

Well, on the plus side Troll, if you really feel we will not be improved by opening day, I guarantee you, with our schedule, unless Penny makes significant improvements this year, he will be gone within 4 games. We simply don't have the talent to compete without solid to excellent QB play this year, against a string of good teams.

Adding to this, if you think we have so many holes, we're gonna have a top 10 pick next year to work with.

Adding to this, if you think we have so many holes, we're gonna have a top 10 pick next year to work with.

Yeah, unless we trade it to move up in the 4th round.

There were a few teams that manipulated the draft perfectly today. The Pats were one. The Bears were another. The Niners were another. So was Dallas. The Jets and Chargers got ****ing hosed.

That doesn't make me feel any better because I would like Kellen Clemens to have the best possible team around him whenever he gets his chance. It was my belief that Chad would either get injured or suck so badly he was benched regardless of what we did in this draft.

Yeah, unless we trade it to move up in the 4th round.

There were a few teams that manipulated the draft perfectly today. The Pats were one. The Bears were another. The Niners were another. So was Dallas. The Jets and Chargers got ****ing hosed.

I don't see how getting the best corner in the draft for a 2nd and a 6th is getting hosed.

2 or 3 for o line, LB depth and WR depth

We have enough LB depth imo and if we keep j-mac with smith and that other dude who was hurt last year, we have some depth at wr, So what we would need is out of the 2 remaining picks and the june 1st cuts is an olineman or 2 and maybe a WR.

I don't see how getting the best corner in the draft for a 2nd and a 6th is getting hosed.

Yes, he was the best corner in the draft. When exactly, did that happen? Because a couple weeks ago, people were thinking we could get him at 25. Turns out, he probably would have went 15 to Pittsburgh, but still. Let's not pretend we traded up for DeAngelo Hall. But I like Revis, I really do. The price to pay wasn't TOO steep, but we could have still got a corner at 25.

We got hosed with our other trade. After you trade 3 picks for 1 in the first round, you can't do it again in the second round. And because of the dumbass trade for Barlow, we had no more ammo. And it is funny to me how everyone LOVES the David Harris pick, despite me not seeing a single ****ing word written about the guy on this site pre-draft. If he was worth all it took to get him, then we should have been talking about him at 25.

The Jets are not a Super Bowl contender. They are a year removed from 4-12 and a complete gutting of the team. An easy schedule and a 10-6 record may have fooled some of you, but it didn't fool me. This is still a team in need of some rebuilding, and you just can not do that when you only have four draft picks.

We hosed CAR in the first round with that trade. We were 40 points ahead on the draft value chart before CAR threw in the 6th rounder, that was just gravy. We got the best CB in the draft. Nobody was going to equal that value at 25. CB's may have been dropping like flies, but the difference between Revis vsRoss/Houston is cavernous. That was a great move. As to the move for Harris, I'm admittledly on the fence since I would have liked a OL

somewhat early. I'm not a fan of Chad, I'm really not a fan of Quinn. He's no different than Chad IMO so drafting him would have been a colossal mistake. At to drafting DT, there really isn't anyone in the draft that is going to fit that need for us. All of these guys are prototypical 3-tech DT's so why waste a pick on one if we aren't going to be able to use him? Honestly speaking, if we can nab a solid O lineman after the June 1st cuts I'm ready to watch this team go to battle.

Troll, you continually bash everything that goes on with the Jets lately, but you seem to fail to pay any attention to the fact that the coaching staff led this team to a 10-6 record. I don't care about schedule, there is no way this team was that good which is a direct reflection of how good the FO/coaching was. You can blast them all you want but I'm gonna put a little faith in the guys who obviously know what it takes to win games and get guys to play beyond their abilities.

Yes, he was the best corner in the draft. When exactly, did that happen? Because a couple weeks ago, people were thinking we could get him at 25. Turns out, he probably would have went 15 to Pittsburgh, but still. Let's not pretend we traded up for DeAngelo Hall. But I like Revis, I really do. The price to pay wasn't TOO steep, but we could have still got a corner at 25.

We got hosed with our other trade. After you trade 3 picks for 1 in the first round, you can't do it again in the second round. And because of the dumbass trade for Barlow, we had no more ammo. And it is funny to me how everyone LOVES the David Harris pick, despite me not seeing a single ****ing word written about the guy on this site pre-draft. If he was worth all it took to get him, then we should have been talking about him at 25.

The Jets are not a Super Bowl contender. They are a year removed from 4-12 and a complete gutting of the team. An easy schedule and a 10-6 record may have fooled some of you, but it didn't fool me. This is still a team in need of some rebuilding, and you just can not do that when you only have four draft picks.

Again, What specifically besides offensive line help are we in desperate need of? You're saying we have a problem, we have giants holes that could have been fixed with the picks we traded and can't wait until next year. What pieces do we need this year that would have made our team better had we not made these moves. DT can wait to next year. o-line is the only place I can see as an immediate need.

Everyone knows the barlow trade was a joke but I knew about Harris before the draft. Everyone was saying how he was the 2nd best 3-4 LB in the draft.

BTW this is why i wanted them to be more active in FA even when people said i was overreacting. To give them more flexibility in the draft. Hopefully they do that after june 1st.

We hosed CAR in the first round with that trade. We were 40 points ahead on the draft value chart before CAR threw in the 6th rounder, that was just gravy. We got the best CB in the draft. Nobody was going to equal that value at 25. CB's may have been dropping like flies, but the difference between Revis vsRoss/Houston is cavernous. That was a great move. As to the move for Harris, I'm admittledly on the fence since I would have liked a OL

somewhat early. I'm not a fan of Chad, I'm really not a fan of Quinn. He's no different than Chad IMO so drafting him would have been a colossal mistake. At to drafting DT, there really isn't anyone in the draft that is going to fit that need for us. All of these guys are prototypical 3-tech DT's so why waste a pick on one if we aren't going to be able to use him? Honestly speaking, if we can nab a solid O lineman after the June 1st cuts I'm ready to watch this team go to battle.

Troll, you continually bash everything that goes on with the Jets lately, but you seem to fail to pay any attention to the fact that the coaching staff led this team to a 10-6 record. I don't care about schedule, there is no way this team was that good which is a direct reflection of how good the FO/coaching was. You can blast them all you want but I'm gonna put a little faith in the guys who obviously know what it takes to win games and get guys to play beyond their abilities.

I don't think there was MILES of difference in the corners. A month ago, Houston was ahead of Revis and though to be a top-ten pick. The fact that the top corners fluctuated so much between Hall, Revis, and Houston tells me that there was no clear cut stud that was head and shoulders above the rest. I'm glad we got Revis. It does chap my ass a little bit that Houston was there at 25, but I'll take it. I think we got a solid corner and a damn fine punt returner.

Harris, on the other hand? I hate it. I don't hate him as a player. To tell the truth, I really don't know a damn thing about him other than the fact that he is big and fast. But he had better be an absolute stud to make up for the price we paid to get him. But, I could have handled that just fine if we still had the 37th pick and got to completely **** the Chargers with it. No one in their right mind would rather have Thomas Jones than have the ransom that the Bears got.

I think Mangini is a very good coach. But I am far from sold on his ability to bring in the right personnel. He had a great draft last season, but let's face it: Brick and Mangold were complete no-brainers. He hit on Leon Washington as well. It was a very good draft, but there is a lot of luck involved. ****, Herman ****ing Edwards drafted the best player on our team in the fourth ****ing round. **** happens. That's why it ain't science. On the flip side, Mangini also gave up a fourth rounder for Barlow, gave a fairly large contract to Kimo, and signed complete scrubs like Kassell and Chatham. If you feel Mangini's personnel decisions have been so good that they are above criticism, then by all means, more power to you. But I think he has been hit and miss, and he has been missing this entire offseason.

And it is funny to me how everyone LOVES the David Harris pick, despite me not seeing a single ****ing word written about the guy on this site pre-draft. If he was worth all it took to get him, then we should have been talking about him at 25.

Actually, alot of draft boards I saw had him going to NE in the 1st. You didn't see alot of people areound here talking about Harris simply for the fact that EVERYONE was either targeting a CB/OG/OT and maybe a DE. Nobody thought an ILB was anywhere near the radar. They saw an opportunity to grab a guy who was highly touted, especially for a 3-4 D, in a very good value position. Maybe he was not a guy who fits a glaring need, but make no mistake he's a very good player. Honestly speaking, once Ugoh was off the board there is no one in the range of round 2-3 that is a good fit in the OL for us, so why grab one just to grab one? Personally speaking, I see this a them targeting the best player available who fits the team. I like bold moves like that. Taking a guy who fits a need at the expense of passing up better talent at other positions is a recipe for disaster. Staying put nets us players such as Chris Houston (who I just plain don't like), Usama Young, and a couple potential OL with the build of LT's all of whom are 6'6" and 295 lbs soaking wet. We got 2 impact players. We did very well.

Again, What specifically besides offensive line help are we in desperate need of? You're saying we have a problem, we have giants holes that could have been fixed with the picks we traded and can't wait until next year. What pieces do we need this year that would have made our team better had we not made these moves. DT can wait to next year. o-line is the only place I can see as an immediate need.

In the next couple years, we will need to replace:

Thomas Jones (could be Leon Washington, but who knows? Could not have hurt to take a flier on an Antonio Pittman, or, even though I've bashed him for months, Michael Bush: he's worth a shot on the second day)

Laveranues Coles (will turn 30 this season; has a loud mouth; will be gone sooner, rather than later)

Chris Baker (Maybe he is something, but we'll never know as long as Chad "What's a Tight End?" Pennington is the QB. Still, would a flier on Ben Patrick have hurt us?)

Pete Kendall (old)

Brandon Moore (Not very good)

Whoever our right tackle is (We don't really have one)

Dewayne Robertson (reports say the Jets could move him after this season; unless he plays the way he ended last season for the entire season, he is as good as gone)

We also are in desperate need of depth at defensive end. Kimo is still in the ****ing rotation for ****'s sake. We could also use more depth at linebacker and defensive back. Revis and Harris should be great helps, but neither of them magically fixes the problems at their position.

BTW, you don't fill "desperate" needs with second day picks. You draft them at weaker positions and hope they develop. And, you are right, offensive line is the only position I would classify as desperate. But we need help in many areas and four draft picks does not do a whole lot for us, particularly when all we have tomorrow is a 6 and a 7.

Lets wait and see what we do on day 2 before we really judge how many holes we have. I think we can nab another starter on this team in day 2, I believe that we'll be getting a 4th or 5th rd pick by trading McCareins, Barton and Barrett for something. There are a few starting quality upgrades on the Oline still out there.

There was very little if anything of good value left on the board with our 3rd rd pick that we traded in the Harris deal....who will be a starter I think.

Houston might have been neck and neck with Revis a couple months ago on some online websites, and it might have fluctuated in mock drafts and such - but I think it is pretty clear that the NFL personnel men didnt think too much of him as he slipped into the 2nd rd.

Clearly, Revis was far and away the top rated corner in the draft, and we made a damn good move to trade up for him. Houston is boom or bust.

I don't think there was MILES of difference in the corners. A month ago, Houston was ahead of Revis and though to be a top-ten pick. The fact that the top corners fluctuated so much between Hall, Revis, and Houston tells me that there was no clear cut stud that was head and shoulders above the rest. I'm glad we got Revis. It does chap my ass a little bit that Houston was there at 25, but I'll take it. I think we got a solid corner and a damn fine punt returner.

Harris, on the other hand? I hate it. I don't hate him as a player. To tell the truth, I really don't know a damn thing about him other than the fact that he is big and fast. But he had better be an absolute stud to make up for the price we paid to get him. But, I could have handled that just fine if we still had the 37th pick and got to completely **** the Chargers with it. No one in their right mind would rather have Thomas Jones than have the ransom that the Bears got.

I think Mangini is a very good coach. But I am far from sold on his ability to bring in the right personnel. He had a great draft last season, but let's face it: Brick and Mangold were complete no-brainers. He hit on Leon Washington as well. It was a very good draft, but there is a lot of luck involved. ****, Herman ****ing Edwards drafted the best player on our team in the fourth ****ing round. **** happens. That's why it ain't science. On the flip side, Mangini also gave up a fourth rounder for Barlow, gave a fairly large contract to Kimo, and signed complete scrubs like Kassell and Chatham. If you feel Mangini's personnel decisions have been so good that they are above criticism, then by all means, more power to you. But I think he has been hit and miss, and he has been missing this entire offseason.

Seriously dude, calm down. We're having a conversation.

I am not directing any anger at you. I use curse words as adjectives.

It's cool man, you just seem like you are going to burst an artery lol. I by no means am saying Mangini or Tannenbaum are perfect. I think they still have alot to learn, and I feel that Schlegel/Olhoffen/Chatham/Kassel were not really good moves. I just disagree on the moves they have made this year. Thomas Jones is a very solid RB that made alot of sense to this team. You won't find a CHI fan who isn't upset about losing him. He's got 3-4 good years left in him. As to this years draft, the positions that we were originally in this morning would have resulted in 4 fairly questionable guys. Maybe some of the guys here on JN were flip flopping CB's around, but pretty much every pro site had Revis as the far and away favorite. Not to mention, I have to trust a guy who's main strength is an eye for secondary players. He got the guy he wanted for a very good deal plain and simple.

The bottom line is we are all going to get a chance to evaluate all these moves before we know it when these guys hit the field. If they all pan out to what the coaches feel they will then every single one of these moves will make them look like geniuses because they got all of them for bargain prices.

I'd take 2 impact players over 4 OK players who will never be anything more than that. You don't win super bowls with OK players.

I agree and that's why, while I'm somewhat bothered by the fact that we only made 2 first day picks, I'm still pretty happy because we got 2 great players for us.

The #1 CB and the #2 ILB (argueably the #1 3-4 ILB) is pretty good and we didn't give up a rediculous amount.

What's wrong with going for quality over quantity?

Actually, alot of draft boards I saw had him going to NE in the 1st. You didn't see alot of people areound here talking about Harris simply for the fact that EVERYONE was either targeting a CB/OG/OT and maybe a DE. Nobody thought an ILB was anywhere near the radar. They saw an opportunity to grab a guy who was highly touted, especially for a 3-4 D, in a very good value position. Maybe he was not a guy who fits a glaring need, but make no mistake he's a very good player. Honestly speaking, once Ugoh was off the board there is no one in the range of round 2-3 that is a good fit in the OL for us, so why grab one just to grab one? Personally speaking, I see this a them targeting the best player available who fits the team. I like bold moves like that. Taking a guy who fits a need at the expense of passing up better talent at other positions is a recipe for disaster. Staying put nets us players such as Chris Houston (who I just plain don't like), Usama Young, and a couple potential OL with the build of LT's all of whom are 6'6" and 295 lbs soaking wet. We got 2 impact players. We did very well.

That is fine and good. I hope he turns out to be as good as many of you (and apparently Mangini) believes he will be. The thing I absolutely hated about the deal is that we blew our load on one player. After the trade for Harris, we had absolutely no ammo to move up in the draft if another player the Jets coveted began to fall. Short of trading picks for next year, what could the Jets have possibly done? "Hi this is Mike Tannenbaum. I'm very interested in your 3rd round pick. We will give you Justin McCareins, a 6, and a 7".

That is fine and good. I hope he turns out to be as good as many of you (and apparently Mangini) believes he will be. The thing I absolutely hated about the deal is that we blew our load on one player. After the trade for Harris, we had absolutely no ammo to move up in the draft if another player the Jets coveted began to fall. Short of trading picks for next year, what could the Jets have possibly done? "Hi this is Mike Tannenbaum. I'm very interested in your 3rd round pick. We will give you Justin McCareins, a 6, and a 7".
They did that twice... It's hard to expect that to happen more than that many times.

Lets wait and see what we do on day 2 before we really judge how many holes we have. I think we can nab another starter on this team in day 2, I believe that we'll be getting a 4th or 5th rd pick by trading McCareins, Barton and Barrett for something. There are a few starting quality upgrades on the Oline still out there.

There was very little if anything of good value left on the board with our 3rd rd pick that we traded in the Harris deal....who will be a starter I think.

Houston might have been neck and neck with Revis a couple months ago on some online websites, and it might have fluctuated in mock drafts and such - but I think it is pretty clear that the NFL personnel men didnt think too much of him as he slipped into the 2nd rd.

Clearly, Revis was far and away the top rated corner in the draft, and we made a damn good move to trade up for him. Houston is boom or bust.

I would feel much, much better about this if they were able to move some of those players for picks. But, really, what are the odds they can actually get what was speculated for McCareins? There is no way in hell McCareins nets us a fourth rounder. If the Seahawks are about to trade Darrell Jackson for a fourth, you really think a team is going to give the Jets the same thing for a player that can't hold DJax' jock?

The only player I see the Jets getting anything of real value (4th, 5th) for his Barton, and, IMO, he is worth more than a 4th rounder. If they can turn into a 4th + a 6th or something, I'd be okay with it. Barrett blows and is no longer needed with Revis on the team. I think he's better than a 6, but I really don't care as long as we get something.

I would feel much, much better about this if they were able to move some of those players for picks. But, really, what are the odds they can actually get what was speculated for McCareins? There is no way in hell McCareins nets us a fourth rounder. If the Seahawks are about to trade Darrell Jackson for a fourth, you really think a team is going to give the Jets the same thing for a player that can't hold DJax' jock?

The only player I see the Jets getting anything of real value (4th, 5th) for his Barton, and, IMO, he is worth more than a 4th rounder. If they can turn into a 4th + a 6th or something, I'd be okay with it. Barrett blows and is no longer needed with Revis on the team. I think he's better than a 6, but I really don't care as long as we get something.

Barrett might be a decent nickelback.... He's the one of the 3 I feel the least sure about dumping.

It's cool man, you just seem like you are going to burst an artery lol. I by no means am saying Mangini or Tannenbaum are perfect. I think they still have alot to learn, and I feel that Schlegel/Olhoffen/Chatham/Kassel were not really good moves. I just disagree on the moves they have made this year. Thomas Jones is a very solid RB that made alot of sense to this team. You won't find a CHI fan who isn't upset about losing him. He's got 3-4 good years left in him. As to this years draft, the positions that we were originally in this morning would have resulted in 4 fairly questionable guys. Maybe some of the guys here on JN were flip flopping CB's around, but pretty much every pro site had Revis as the far and away favorite. Not to mention, I have to trust a guy who's main strength is an eye for secondary players. He got the guy he wanted for a very good deal plain and simple.

The bottom line is we are all going to get a chance to evaluate all these moves before we know it when these guys hit the field. If they all pan out to what the coaches feel they will then every single one of these moves will make them look like geniuses because they got all of them for bargain prices.

I just don't think TJ will be a great compliment to Leon. He was solid in Chicago, but he will be 29 this season and I didn't think he was worth the 37th pick. I really don't care what Bears fans think. These are the same people that want a first-year starting QB that threw 23 touchdowns and took them to the Super Bowl run out of town. Bottom line is that I said the 37th pick was more valuable than Thomas Jones and the Chargers proved me right. Honestly, would you trade Thomas Jones for the loot that San Diego gave the Bears? I would, without hesitation.

I just don't think the draft was played very well. If the Jets hadn't traded up for Harris, and no one they were in love with was there in the second or third round, they could have traded down and got more picks. I just can't get behind the idea of hitching our wagon to two players whenever we need help at so many other positions.

Seriously if you know football or even have a loose grasp on the game and its fundamentals you have to agree what has been thus far in the off season has been very beneficial to the Jets program. Most if not all major needs have been addressed, even if its not solved, just cause you draft a guy is not a garuntee of crap.,Anyways we are weak on the line yes but you can not say just cause we only got two guys today and lost some pics that its bad, We did get two great player and I think we are looking pretty good. and those late pics we have, I bet mangini gets them to work for us, plus mccariens is gone and who knows what well get for him....Draft score for the Jets is a "A" right now.....

Well it works out as Thomas Jones instead of a late third (#93) & a late 5th (#167) this year & (probably a late) 3rd next year (~#90+). The next couple of seasons will tell if it was worth it. But since SD picked so late this year (and probably will again in '08), those 3rd rounders are almost like day-two picks. So Thomas Jones for three day-two picks over two years isn't nearly as lopsided as you're making it out to be.

Personally, I wanted to see the OL addressed as well. And we didn't even look at it. It's a concern. IMO a solid OL masks a mediocre RB more than a solid RB masks a mediocre OL.

I would have liked the 2nd trade-up better if we were able to find a trade partner for one of our 2006 ILB'ers and/or JMac and/or Barrett. I'd much rather have Beekman or Ramirez (or both; they're both still available) than Barton + JMac + Barrett.

Archived