Our future is looking bright

Untouchable

yeah, myself & many of my caucasion friends wish for..............oh wait, the sig. nevermind.

I see a lot of interchangeable parts on D now & expect to see some real different looks week in & week out this season

And that is what I believe the biggest difference on Defense will be. We will be part 3-4, part 4-3, part 5-2, et al. I expect the multiple looks will help stop the long drives we always seemed to allow in teh past, and will allow the offense to be on the field longer.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And that is what I believe the biggest difference on Defense will be. We will be part 3-4, part 4-3, part 5-2, et al. I expect the multiple looks will help stop the long drives we always seemed to allow in teh past, and will allow the offense to be on the field longer.

exactly. hopefully revis can step right in & decrease the chance of us giving up that one big play that hurt us on several occasions.

If we can be reasonably confident in single coverage, hopefully it will allow us to wreak havoc & confuse the q'back with multiple looks.

the more I think about it, the more i'm happier we moved up & went with a cb rather than an o lineman with our 1st pick.

hey I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong JW-no genius I, that's for sure.It's just that I just hadn't read anywhere that he was going to be lined up at LBer-especially inside-I can see him outside ala Bryan Thomas maybe...but NFL.com has him inside which is kind of baffling to me....

you shouldn't need to be told that a 265 lb guy isn't going to play 3-4 defensive end. its obvious.

The problem is, they had talent in 06, and 05. People that had them pegged for a number one overall rarley watched their games. You heard it on MNF against the Phins when 2 of the commentators kept saying, "rhodes, coleman, poteat??? have you heard of any of these guys?". These are the type of people that are picking against the Jets. Say what you want about some of our "lesser" positions, but we still have a ton of talent throughout the team. 4 to 5 good, young line backers, D-rob, Ellis, both receivers, the Jets are not "untalented" as so many make it seem.

With that said, it will always be a struggle to get 10 wins, this year should be no different.

MD -

I think the Jets have talent. I think Mangini has the team going in the right direction. Where I think the Jets ultimately fail, especially compared to the Patriots, Colts, Chargers and the Ravens, Steelers, Jaguars and Broncos to a lesser extent, is at the QB position. These teams to include the Jets will probably be make-up the playoff teams IMHO. There are many positions a team can be weak at, but the one you cannot be is at QB. That means every other position must be great or close to it to win a title. Penny is not the worst QB, but he is not good enough for the Jets to consistently win in the AFC. he would be a good QB for an NFC team.

you shouldn't need to be told that a 265 lb guy isn't going to play 3-4 defensive end. its obvious.

it's not like I had the guy's vital statistics at my ready bro-he has been a DE his whole career and I haven't read one story about a switch to inside LBer...sheesh some of you guys man

:confused:

That is one of Harris' weakness. He has short arms and has trouble disengaging from blockers.

If you are lucky and all your wishes are prooven true by Belichick leaving, you might be a year or two from competing for a division title, but a championship? With Chad as your QB? No F'ing way.

Hey, we were "competing" for a division until fairly late in the game last year. That was one season after we began scraping ourselves off the post-Herman Edwards mat. Quite a scrape let me say. With the divisional games tie-breaker in our favor we were only one game out of the lead until quite late.

What is your definition of "competing" then if that does not qualify?

it's not like I had the guy's vital statistics at my ready bro-he has been a DE his whole career and I haven't read one story about a switch to inside LBer...sheesh some of you guys man

yeah, us guys with common sense.

if you are going to throw around info like he will be playing 3-4 end, you might want to look up the guys vitals, if not, what is the point of you even posting about it?

THE GUY IS 260 LBS! UNLESS HE GAINS 30 LBS HE WILL NOT BE PLAYING 3-4 END. ITS COMMON SENSE.

yeah, us guys with common sense.

if you are going to throw around info like he will be playing 3-4 end, you might want to look up the guys vitals, if not, what is the point of you even posting about it?

THE GUY IS 260 LBS! UNLESS HE GAINS 30 LBS HE WILL NOT BE PLAYING 3-4 END. ITS COMMON SENSE.

forgive me super fan-I'll try better next time

or maybe be willing to look up every detail about every player that gets discussed on the board...common sense? yea OK oktaren

no, common sense is knowing that a 260-265 lb man will not be playing 3-4 end. you repeatedly stated that he will be playing 3-4 end, even after being told he was WAY undersized. yes, that is common sense.

as for looking up every detail about a player, you are a football fan aren't you? all you have to do is go to yahoo.com, enter the name "david bowens" and his height and weight come up on the screen, again, not hard at all.

no, common sense is knowing that a 260-265 lb man will not be playing 3-4 end. you repeatedly stated that he will be playing 3-4 end, even after being told he was WAY undersized. yes, that is common sense.

as for looking up every detail about a player, you are a football fan aren't you? all you have to do is go to yahoo.com, enter the name "david bowens" and his height and weight come up on the screen, again, not hard at all.

LIKE THIS?

"Former Miami Dolphin DE David Bowens has signed a three-year contract with the New York Jets." The emphasis on DE

umm...he played defensive end IN A 4-3 DEFENSE. NOT IN A 3-4...AGAIN, COMMON SENSE!

I still have yet to see anybody here show me one article or blurb written by any of the beat writers stating the switch to ILB from DE-find me one oktaren-the only thing I have been able to find is the depth chart from NFL.com-not one mention-maybe in Maden '08 YOU'LL line him up there but what you would do and what Mangini and Dan Quinn will do could be very different

I still have yet to see anybody here show me one article or blurb written by any of the beat writers stating the switch to ILB from DE-find me one oktaren-the only thing I have been able to find is the depth chart from NFL.com-not one mention-maybe in Maden '08 YOU'LL line him up there but what you would do and what Mangini and Dan Quinn will do could be very different

SFJ, I have never seen anybody anywhere (except this thread) that expects him to play ILB. I have seen every beat writer that mentions him assume he is going to play pass rush OLB, probably situationally. I haven't seen any mention by FO or coaches that he'd play anywhere particular. If I get a chance I'll look some up, but if you hit google you'll find some. Hoop playoffs tonight and Armani is home, so I've got to run.

not ilb, OUTSIDE LINEBACKER. YOU KNOW, LIKE BRYAN THOMAS.

i have never played maden 08. what is it like? i know you meant madden, but i don't play video games, so that means little to me. either way, he will be playing pass rushing olb, NOT 3-4 DE. hello?! anyone inside?

again, i never said he will play olb, THAT IS A GIVEN, COMMON SENSE. YOU DON'T PUT 260 LB GUYS AT 3-4 DEFENSIVE END, YOU JUST DON'T.

not ilb, OUTSIDE LINEBACKER. YOU KNOW, LIKE BRYAN THOMAS.

i have never played maden 08. what is it like? i know you meant madden, but i don't play video games, so that means little to me. either way, he will be playing pass rushing olb, NOT 3-4 DE. hello?! anyone inside?

again, i never said he will play olb, THAT IS A GIVEN, COMMON SENSE. YOU DON'T PUT 260 LB GUYS AT 3-4 DEFENSIVE END, YOU JUST DON'T.

maybe he wil just play DE when they line up in 4-3 - as they like to do once in a while no?

maybe he wil just play DE when they line up in 4-3 - as they like to do once in a while no?

you might want to read the whole thread first...

this is what started it...

Good stuff UT-I think David Bowens eventually will put Shawn ellis on the bench...he helped make Jason Taylor DPOTY last season...I think he will be the biggest upgrade on the defense this year for us-also his familiarity with the way Dan Quinn wants things done,he could emerge as a leader

ellis does play de in the 4-3 as well, but for the most part we play the 3-4 and ellis plays defensive end, unlike bowens who plays olb in the 3-4.

Archived