Ranking all 32 QB's

Cant Hackett

FanNationThe Republic of SportAn SI.com and CNN Digital Network SiteJoin the Nation!

Perloff's BlogTrack It + Subscribe to RSS feed Ranking all 32 quarterbacks

1 day ago :: 84469 Views

Like all great sports arguments, this debate began at a bar, with a number of SI.com colleagues earlier this week. The challenge: rank the 32 projected starting quarterbacks. The criteria: how will they perform in 2007, factoring intangibles such as winning and leadership along with statistics. Marc Bulger may have better numbers than Tom Brady, but that doesn't make Bulger more valuable.

After No. 5, this gets very difficult, but if you disagree with any of my rankings, I'll gladly set you straight in a FanNation Throwdown at any time.

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

Philip Rivers

Donovan McNabb

Ben Roethlisberger

Marc Bulger

Matt Hasselbeck

Michael Vick

Tony Romo

Matt Leinart

Jay Cutler

Vince Young

Brett Favre

Steve McNair

Alex Smith

Jeff Garcia

Jake Delhomme

Chad Pennington

Jon Kitna

Eli Manning

Damon Huard

Trent Green (assuming he's a Dolphin)

Jason Campbell

Rex Grossman

Byron Leftwich

J.P. Losman

Matt Schaub

Josh McCown

Tarvaris Jackson

Charlie Frye

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/14552?cnn=yes

I started switching it around and gave up... spots 6-15ish are almost all interchangeable...

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Donovan McNabb

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

Philip Rivers

Marc Bulger

Chad Pennington

Matt Hasselbeck

Steve McNair

Tony Romo

Jay Cutler

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Brett Favre

Alex Smith

Damon Huard

Ben Roethlisberger

Jeff Garcia

Jake Delhomme

Eli Manning

Michael Vick

Jon Kitna

Trent Green

Jason Campbell

Rex Grossman

Byron Leftwich

J.P. Losman

Matt Schaub

Josh McCown

Tarvaris Jackson

Charlie Frye

The level of qb play in this league is so poor that after manning and brady it's a mile before you find anyone then it's Palmer Breese and maybe a few others then a mile and everyone else. You could rank chad 6th or 7th not because he is good but because most of the other guys suck just as much if not more.

Chad Pennington doesn't even deserve to crack the top 32

and the rest of the scrubs in the nfl like delhomme and eli deserve to? f that more than half the starting qb's in this league should be backup's or are still too green.

Here is my list....

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

Donovan McNabb

Matt Hasselbeck

Marc Bulger

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

Byron Leftwich

Jake Delhomme

Steve McNair

Michael Vick

Trent Green

Brett Favre - This tier is interchangeable

Tony Romo

Jay Cutler

Matt Leinart

Vince Young

J.P. Losman

Chad Pennington

Jason Campbell

Alex Smith

Rex Grossman

Matt Schaub

Damon Huard

Jeff Garcia

Tarvaris Jackson

Jon Kitna

Charlie Frye

Josh McCown

I started switching it around and gave up... spots 6-15ish are almost all interchangeable...

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Donovan McNabb

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

Philip Rivers

Marc Bulger

Chad Pennington

Matt Hasselbeck

Steve McNair

Tony Romo

Jay Cutler

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Brett Favre

Alex Smith

Damon Huard

Ben Roethlisberger

Jeff Garcia

Jake Delhomme

Eli Manning

Michael Vick

Jon Kitna

Trent Green

Jason Campbell

Rex Grossman

Byron Leftwich

J.P. Losman

Matt Schaub

Josh McCown

Tarvaris Jackson

Charlie Frye

Damon Huard ??

Nice job, I agree with most of them. I don't think Vick should be that high and Young should be higher.

Why?

Vince benefited from some serious good fortune when he played.

You might call me a homer, which Im usually not, but come on. Campbell, Grossman, and Huard ahead of Losman? He really had a much better season, showed tons of improvement, and overall played well. Im not saying he should be top 15, but at the very least top 25, jeez.

You might call me a homer, which Im usually not, but come on. Campbell, Grossman, and Huard ahead of Losman? He really had a much better season, showed tons of improvement, and overall played well. Im not saying he should be top 15, but at the very least top 25, jeez.

I agree, but I think IF Grossman could be consistent more often, I'll put him Top 10.

Why?

Vince benefited from some serious good fortune when he played.

Well, I've always believed Vick is overhyped and overrated. And I think Young while he has had good fortune he made it himself. That team was carried by him and T. Henry. This year he won't have Henry so we will see what he can do. I didn't think he was going to be that great, but he has done well so far.

Well, I've always believed Vick is overhyped and overrated. And I think Young while he has had good fortune he made it himself. That team was carried by him and T. Henry. This year he won't have Henry so we will see what he can do. I didn't think he was going to be that great, but he has done well so far.

Coach,

Carried is kind of a strong word.

3 of their wins he either did not crack 100 yards passing or barely did (i.e. 101).

I think Vince is the perfect example of the old adage that a QB gets too much credit for winning and not enough for losing.

The Titans were similar to the Jets in that they made enough plays in a game to win. Similar to the 2001 Patriots. Not a great team, but won that did enough good things and minimized the bad things to win.

WRONG. That team was carried by Pac-Man Jones and their defense. The only games in which Vince Young made a signficant impact were against Buffalo, the Giants, and the Texans. And, despite everyone seeing Vince's 40-yard TD run in OT to end that game, the fact that he was mediocre the entire rest of the game is overlooked.

WRONG. That team was carried by Pac-Man Jones and their defense. The only games in which Vince Young made a signficant impact were against Buffalo, the Giants, and the Texans. And, despite everyone seeing Vince's 40-yard TD run in OT to end that game, the fact that he was mediocre the entire rest of the game is overlooked.

You are probably right with the pac man thing. To be honest everytime I saw the Titans on espn Vince Young was going off. I do agree with pfsikh a little bit. The titans are a lot like the jets in that they do just enough to win. I think that is a sign of a team growing though. I hope ecurb doesn't read this, but I was really hoping we could have gotten Young last year.

You are probably right with the pac man thing. To be honest everytime I saw the Titans on espn Vince Young was going off. I do agree with pfsikh a little bit. The titans are a lot like the jets in that they do just enough to win. I think that is a sign of a team growing though. I hope ecurb doesn't read this, but I was really hoping we could have gotten Young last year.

Vince was not as great as the media would have one believe. The fact that he won ROY over Maurice-Jones Drew is ridiculous. I probably watched 13 or 14 Titans games this year, since I have a friend who's a fan of theirs. That team started winning games when their defense started playing better, and PacMan truly did emerge into a shutdown corner the last month of the season. Without him, as well as Henry, it would not surprise me if the great Vince Young led that team to a top five draft pick next season.

I don't agree that all the guys you have listed as Starting QB's will be the starters but I rated them based on your list anyway

Tom Brady

Peyton Manning

Drew Brees

Carson Palmer

Matt Hasselbeck

Alex Smith

Chad Pennington

Philip Rivers

Marc Bulger

Ben Roethlisberger

Vince Young

Donovan McNabb

Jake Delhomme

Michael Vick

Brett Favre

Steve McNair

Jay Cutler

Matt Leinart

Tony Romo

Jon Kitna

Rex Grossman

J.P. Losman

Eli Manning

Byron Leftwich

Jason Campbell

Jeff Garcia

Trent Green

Matt Schaub

Tavaris Jackson

Damon Huard

Josh McCown

Charlie Frye

Here is my list....

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Carson Palmer

Drew Brees

Donovan McNabb

Matt Hasselbeck

Marc Bulger

Eli Manning

Philip Rivers

Ben Roethlisberger

Byron Leftwich

Jake Delhomme

Steve McNair

Michael Vick

Trent Green

Brett Favre - This tier is interchangeable

Tony Romo

Jay Cutler

Matt Leinart

Vince Young

J.P. Losman

Chad Pennington

Jason Campbell

Alex Smith

Rex Grossman

Matt Schaub

Damon Huard

Jeff Garcia

Tarvaris Jackson

Jon Kitna

Charlie Frye

Josh McCown

Just swich the interchangable list with the list Romo and Pennington are in and youve just about got it right...

Archived