Some NFL players just dont understand societal rules/mores

SouthernJet

Redskins RB Portis: Vick can do what he wants

ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 22, 2007, 1:37 AM

While prosecutors and the league try to find out if Michael Vick was involved in a dog fighting ring at a Virginia house that he owned, one NFL player says it doesn't matter if he did take part.

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not, but it's his property, it's his dog," Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis told WAVY-TV in Virginia. "If that's what he wants to do, do it. I think people should mind their business."

When told that dog fighting is a felony, Portis replied, "It can't be too bad of a crime."

Investigators are still trying to determine if crimes were committed and if charges should be filed in the case. Authorities met to compare information on Monday.

"At this time, the investigation continues. We have no further comment," said a statement distributed to reporters after the nearly two-hour meeting said.

5448.jpg

Vick

The meeting at the Surry County government office involved Commonwealth's Attorney Gerald Poindexter, Sheriff Harold Brown, the county's animal control officer, two special agents from the Virginia State Police and an investigator with the U.S. Department of Agriculture also representing the U.S. Office of the Inspector General.

The case began April 25 when police conducting a drug investigation raided the house Vick owned in rural Surry County and found dozens of dogs. They also found items associated with dog fighting, including a "pry bar" used to pry apart a dog's jaws.

No charges have been filed in the case, but Poindexter last week told The Associated Press as many as six to 10 people could be involved. Dog fighting is a felony in Virginia.

Vick is a registered dog breeder.

He has blamed relatives for taking advantage of his generosity and insisted he's rarely at the house -- even though he's the owner.

The Daily Press of Newport News has reported Vick has since sold the home.

Poindexter said the county seized some 60 dogs from the house. Several dogs had old scars, but mostly the dogs appeared to be well-cared for, he said.

Vick has said he let a cousin, Davon Boddie, live at the house, and that he didn't know a large kennel on the property could be involved in a criminal activity.

Vick, the former Virginia Tech quarterback, in recent weeks has been sternly warned against misbehavior by Falcons owner Arthur Blank, and summoned to New York to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Redskins offensive lineman Chris Samuels, who was promoting a Redskins fan event with Portis, doesn't want the public to rush to judgment.

"You can't accuse this man of something and go ahead and throw the book at him right now," he told WAVY-TV. "He's got to be convicted first, and I don't think that's fair."

The NFL has shown a willingness to see if animal abuse is a widespread problem in the league, but Portis doesn't think it's an issue.

"You want to hunt down Mike Vick over fighting some dogs?," Portis told the television station. "I think people should mind their own business."

Portis said that dog fighting is more common than people think.

"I know a lot of back roads that have the dog fighting if you want to go see it," he said.

Later in the day on Monday, Portis tried to back down from his comments, issuing a statement that was posted on the Redskins' Web site.

"In the recent interview I gave concerning dog fighting, I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner."

No kidding. These players just don't get it.:rolleyes:

"Jets cornerback Justin Miller was arrested early Sunday and charged with third-degree misdemeanor assault after he punched a woman in a New York City nightclub...

Miller was apprehended after a police chase at 4:20 a.m."

No kidding. These players just don't get it.:rolleyes:

"Jets cornerback Justin Miller was arrested early Sunday and charged with third-degree misdemeanor assault after he punched a woman in a New York City nightclub...

Miller was apprehended after a police chase at 4:20 a.m."

Gee, let me go grab the Miami crime blotter.;)

Ricky and Joey never punched a woman giving her lacerations and a swollen head. Ricky likes the weed, what can I say.

Joey Porter jumped a guy bigger than him and won. I can't wait to see what he does to Pennyboy.

ya because miami has such a great history of not treating women as sex objects. any truth to the rumor that daunte "captain stabbin" culpepper is a card carrying member of NOW?

Ricky and Joey never punched a woman giving her lacerations and a swollen head. Ricky likes the weed, what can I say.

Joey Porter jumped a guy bigger than him and won. I can't wait to see what he does to Pennyboy.

Whatever came of this:

McMichael arrested after alleged altercation Click here to find out more!

NFL.com wire reports

GROVETOWN, Ga. (July 11, 2005) -- Miami Dolphins tight end Randy McMichael is facing charges for the second time in 13 months for allegedly hitting his wife.

McMichael was arrested July 9 in Columbia County after witnesses told police that he had given his wife, Cawanna, a bloody nose.

The 26-year-old McMichael was taken to the Columbia County Detention Center, where he was charged with simple battery and criminal trespass. McMichael was released just before 7 a.m. after posting a $2,200 bond, according to jail records.

According to the police report, McMichael acknowledged he had two glasses of wine and several beers before arguing with his wife, but he refused to take a field Breathalyzer test.

Cawanna McMichael, 22, told police the contact with her husband was an accident as he was throwing some of her belongings out of their 1984 Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

Four witnesses told police they saw McMichael throw his wife from the car. One witness told police he saw the athlete throw his wife away from the vehicle several times, according to the report.

Cawanna McMichael was treated at the scene.

Prosecutors decided not to file charges after McMichael was arrested in June 2004 and accused of hitting his wife. McMichael had been charged with aggravated battery on a pregnant woman, a second-degree felony that is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

In his third season with the Dolphins in 2004, McMichael caught a career-high 73 passes for 791 yards and four touchdowns.

Whatever came of this:

McMichael arrested after alleged altercation Click here to find out more!

NFL.com wire reports

GROVETOWN, Ga. (July 11, 2005) -- Miami Dolphins tight end Randy McMichael is facing charges for the second time in 13 months for allegedly hitting his wife.

McMichael was arrested July 9 in Columbia County after witnesses told police that he had given his wife, Cawanna, a bloody nose.

The 26-year-old McMichael was taken to the Columbia County Detention Center, where he was charged with simple battery and criminal trespass. McMichael was released just before 7 a.m. after posting a $2,200 bond, according to jail records.

According to the police report, McMichael acknowledged he had two glasses of wine and several beers before arguing with his wife, but he refused to take a field Breathalyzer test.

Cawanna McMichael, 22, told police the contact with her husband was an accident as he was throwing some of her belongings out of their 1984 Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

Four witnesses told police they saw McMichael throw his wife from the car. One witness told police he saw the athlete throw his wife away from the vehicle several times, according to the report.

Cawanna McMichael was treated at the scene.

Prosecutors decided not to file charges after McMichael was arrested in June 2004 and accused of hitting his wife. McMichael had been charged with aggravated battery on a pregnant woman, a second-degree felony that is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

In his third season with the Dolphins in 2004, McMichael caught a career-high 73 passes for 791 yards and four touchdowns.

Or this?

Dolphins tackle McIntosh arrested, released

NFL.com wire reports

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (Feb. 16, 2006) -- Miami Dolphins tackle Damion McIntosh was released from jail Feb. 16 after allegedly pushing his wife to the floor at their home.

McIntosh was arrested Feb. 15 on a misdemeanor count of domestic violence. He told Davie police he pushed his wife and said she "hit her head pretty hard," according to a police report.

Precious McIntosh was treated at a hospital and released. Damion McIntosh spent the night in jail before appearing before a magistrate Feb. 16 and getting released without bail. He was told to have no contact with his wife.

A six-year NFL veteran, the 320-pound McIntosh started all 16 games for the Dolphins at left tackle last season.

How about your former TE Randy Mcwifebeater?

Archived