Jets Sign DL Eric Hicks (Cheifs)

KRhodes25

Jets | Team releases Marshall

Tue, 22 May 2007 10:08:22 -0700

The New York Jets announced Tuesday, May 22, that they have released DL Keyonta Marshall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jets | Team signs Hicks

Tue, 22 May 2007 09:46:07 -0700

The New York Jets announced Tuesday, May 22, that they have signed free-agent DL Eric Hicks (Chiefs). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

hmm,under the radar signing, no one heard anything on it, i like it.

Jets | Team releases Marshall

Tue, 22 May 2007 10:08:22 -0700

The New York Jets announced Tuesday, May 22, that they have released DL Keyonta Marshall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jets | Team signs Hicks

Tue, 22 May 2007 09:46:07 -0700

The New York Jets announced Tuesday, May 22, that they have signed free-agent DL Eric Hicks (Chiefs). Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

hmm,under the radar signing, no one heard anything on it, i like it.[/qu

You never know, but the two tackles he had in 16 games last year isn't too enticing.

Nice, consistent numbers and better than I expected. I realize the Chiefs were not known for their "D" during Hicks' tenure, but he has basically been a starter in the NFL since 99, with decent numbers to boot. All of this with knowing we are currently stacked at his position makes this a nice signing IMO...

Nice, consistent numbers and better than I expected. I realize the Chiefs were not known for their "D" during Hicks' tenure, but he has basically been a starter in the NFL since 99, with decent numbers to boot. All of this with knowing we are currently stacked at his position makes this a nice signing IMO...

He sucked last year...

At least when we got Kimo he was coming off of a superbowl in the 3-4 defense...

He sucked last year...

At least when we got Kimo he was coming off of a superbowl in the 3-4 defense...

I guess I missed the fact that the career bio posted here stopped at 2004; my assessment was based purely on those numbers. I honestly do not know much about this guy...but someone who has started in this league for as long as he has being brought to compete at a position in which the Jets have nice depth at is a productive situation in my mind; especially since he likely came very cheap.

I guess I missed the fact that the career bio posted here stopped at 2004; my assessment was based purely on those numbers. I honestly do not know much about this guy...but someone who has started in this league for as long as he has being brought to compete at a position in which the Jets have nice depth at is a productive situation in my mind; especially since he likely came very cheap.

Thats what they thought of Kimo... and look what happened...

He was brought in to fill a space for camp.. I doubt he makes the team... if he does... then good, depth is a good thing.

Guy probably isn't going to solve all our problems, but: He has some ability as a pass rusher. He had 14 sacks in 13 games in '00 and 9 in '02. He has about as many career sacks than Kimo and Bobby H. combined. Might be able to generate some pass rush as a DE. He had a **** year last year, but was solid for seven years before that and he would not be the only useful player that failed to perform under Herm. He's old, but he's five years younger than Kimo and Bobby H. He's past his prime, but he's not a dinosaur.

Does anybody else get the impression he was picked up because it was Herm who cut him? lol...F-you Herm!

Eric Hicks has 37 sacks next season!

37.5 actually....

wouldnt that be a nice big **** you to Herm... he could seal it off with 10 sacks against the Cheifs in week 17... :rl:

you're making me regret voting BZ biggest homer-- not that cotch being sb mvp would matter to herm though-- he doesn't watch unless he's in it. hope he enjoys never seeing another superbowl again :)

Of course it would matter to Herm. He would take credit for the development of such a fine young player.

Not all of us have a QB who NEVER chokes, who is never hurt, they have a player called Tom Brady.

Cotch makes plays even with Chad throwing him the ball. Thats the sign of a good player.

If Chad was throwing balls to Deon it would be a different story. Deon needed Brady while Cotch makes Chad look better than he is.

So the DE competition is between these guys mainly:

Haynes

Hicks

Hamilton

Ellis

von Oelhoffen

Coleman

No way all of these guys make the roster, obviously, especially with Bowens and Wadsworth at OLB, and who even knows if Wadsworth makes the roster.

So the DE competition is between these guys mainly:

Haynes

Hicks

Hamilton

Ellis

von Oelhoffen

Coleman

No way all of these guys make the roster, obviously, especially with Bowens and Wadsworth at OLB, and who even knows if Wadsworth makes the roster.

von Oelhoffen has a bit of an edge because he plays some NT - but if he's done then he's done and it wont matter. I'd guess kimo and Haynes stick behind Coleman and Ellis. Dunno about the UDFAs at DE, but I'd say a good one would have a shot here.

von Oelhoffen has a bit of an edge because he plays some NT - but if he's done then he's done and it wont matter. I'd guess kimo and Haynes stick behind Coleman and Ellis. Dunno about the UDFAs at DE, but I'd say a good one would have a shot here.

I'm thinking both Kimo & Bobby stay and Haynes & Hicks are gone by September 9th.

Why? Both Kimo & Bobby are Mangini guys more so than Haynes & Hicks, have been in the system for years (with the Jets, Pittsburgh, New England and Oakland, combined) and both can play some Nose Tackle as well. I think the DE / NT rotation looks somewhat like this:

Starters:

DE - Ellis

NT - Robertson

DE - Coleman

Reserves:

DE - von Oelhoffen, Hamilton

NT - Pouha, ", "

I'm thinking both Kimo & Bobby stay and Haynes & Hicks are gone by September 9th.

Why? Both Kimo & Bobby are Mangini guys more so than Haynes & Hicks, have been in the system for years (with the Jseparator.gifets, Pittsburgh, New England and Oakland, combined) and both can play some Nose Tackle as well. I think the DE / NT rotation looks somewhat like this:

Starters:

DE - Ellis

NT - Robertson

DE - Coleman

Reserves:

DE - von Oelhoffen, Hamilton

NT - Pouha, ", "

Not that I really disagree, but I hope you're wrong. Agree with your staters. I'm not a fan of "Mangini guys." I want production. I've seen what Kimo and Hamilton bring to the table and I'm not impressed. I'd hope it's one each of Kimo/Bobby H and Hicks/Haynes. I'm with Will a good UDFA has an excellent chance to stick here though Bowens could also see some time at DE.

Archived