NFL commissioner disappointed, embarrassed by Portis

ECURB

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2879881

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday he was "extremely disappointed and embarrassed" by comments made by Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis about dogfighting, The Washington Post reported.

On Monday, Portis, asked about the investigation into an alleged dogfighting ring at a home then owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, ridiculed authorities for pursuing possible charges. Tuesday, both Portis and Redskins offensive tackle Chris Samuels apologized for their comments, and the Redskins also apologized as an organization.

Goodell, in a written statement, criticized Portis' statements.

"I'm extremely disappointed and embarrassed for Clinton Portis," he said, according to the Post. "This does not reflect the sentiments of the Redskins, the NFL or NFL players."

Agent Drew Rosenhaus said he talked to Portis about his client's comments.

"I've had dogs my entire life and I personally find dog fighting cruel, vicious and evil," Rosenhaus said Wednesday.

Rosenhaus said Portis told him he wasn't condoning dogfighting.

"He said, 'Drew, I didn't mean for the way that came out. All I was saying, I wasn't condoning dog fighting. I wasn't condoning Michael Vick's conduct. All I was saying is that people should give him the benefit of the doubt until he's been charged or found guilty," Rosenhaus said.

During the interview on WAVY-TV in Norfolk, Va., Portis and Samuels giggled and laughed frequently as they defended Vick, who has been under investigation since a police raid at one of his houses discovered dozens of dogs and items associated with dog fighting. No charges have been filed.

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not," Portis said in the interview. "But it's his property; it's his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it."

Portis, a native of Laurel, Miss., added: "I know a lot of back roads that got a dog fight if you want to go see it. But they're not bothering those people because those people are not big names. I'm sure there's some police got some dogs that are fighting them, some judges got dogs and everything else."

In the segment, Portis said that Vick would be put "behind bars for no reason" if the Atlanta Falcons quarterback were charged and convicted for dog fighting. Samuels laughed during much of the interview.

"The Washington Redskins, as an organization, obviously would never condone anything related to animal cruelty," the team's statement said Tuesday. "The team takes the recent comments of Clinton Portis very seriously and apologizes to everyone that was offended."

It was the second statement in two days from the Redskins over the dog fighting flap. Late Monday, the team released a statement on behalf of Portis in which the running back said: "I want to make it clear I do not take part in dog fighting or condone dog fighting in any manner."

Sixty-six dogs, 55 of them pit bulls, were seized April 25 when police conducting a drug investigation raided the house, which Vick owned but said he rarely visited.

Police also found items associated with dog fighting, including treadmills, syringes and a "pry bar" used to pry apart a dog's jaws, as well as a bloodstained carpet. Prosecutor Gerald Poindexter said they also found blood on a floor in the home.

Several of the dogs had old scars that could be associated with dogfighting injuries, but authorities have said the dogs largely appeared to be healthy.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

"He said, 'Drew, I didn't mean for the way that came out. All I was saying, I wasn't condoning dog fighting. I wasn't condoning Michael Vick's conduct. All I was saying is that people should give him the benefit of the doubt until he's been charged or found guilty," Rosenhaus said.

BULL F()CKIN CHIT!!!! That is such a load, i love how this bum will put words' in his players' mouths. just like he did for TO. lying scum

"I don't know if he was fighting dogs or not," Portis said in the interview. "But it's his property; it's his dogs. If that's what he wants to do, do it."

How exactly is someone supposed to interpret the bottom bolded original quote as what Rosenhaus is trying to spin it into?

:bag:Aye-yigh, will someone just shoot this guy and put him out of his misery already? The only way he could sound any less dumb or less full of cr*p is if he's in rigor mortis with his hands sticking up in the air like chicken claws. Because he wouldn't be talking. Clinton Portis, Rigor Mortis. That's a bad jam. So, how many times have I already said how much I love this baghead smilie? Well, I do, and the third time is a charm. :bag:

EDIT: WAIT! :bag::bag::bag:. Damn that felt great.

How exactly is someone supposed to interpret the bottom bolded original quote as what Rosenhaus is trying to spin it into?

thanks for grabbing that quote, even re-reading it pisses me off more. These guys can say anything and then lean on these bums to cover it up.

i wish i had tivo'ed the speach drew r. gave for TO when he was with the eagles...wow

i wish i had tivo'ed the speach drew r. gave for TO when he was with the eagles...wow

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of hitting yourself in the face with a hammer? Jets fans have enough angst to deal with. No reason to put anymore on your plate. Just looking out for you is all.

Wouldn't that be the equivalent of hitting yourself in the face with a hammer? Jets fans have enough angst to deal with. No reason to put anymore on your plate. Just looking out for you is all.

lol i appreciate your concern, maybe its for the best i don't even have tivo. :)

Yet another in the long line of immature athletes who dont know when to shut up and the media gladly sticking a microphone in his face in case he says something stupid. Thanks ESPN for creating this culture of loud mouth athletes.

I wish he sustains a career ending injury so we never have to hear from this IQ challenged superstar again.

As it was mentioned on NFL-live earlier this weekend, Vick isn't the only NFL player to be involved in dog-fighting. He's probably the only player pompous (and paid) enough to host a training facility on one of his properties. But as high as 10% of our league's current players might indulge in such freakishly grotesque gambling.

While I don't condone the act or sport (if you could even call it that); and beyond condoning, actually think it's a disgustingly heinous act to be involved in; players who participate in such activity need to know that this won't be tolerated in today's NFL.

Players who participate in this activity, have knowlege of such activity, or naivity of its consequences need this message to be delivered. While its not in the same league as bar fighting, love-boating, strip-club shootouts, or drug laundering; its a reprehensible act that needs attention. Vick might be better off issuing a nation-wide apology followed by a sizeable donation to animal-cruelty shelters and move on with the whole ordeal. In the meantime, idiotic support from other players is better off silenced. I think the league's guilty players can thank Portis for that.

If you're a goat-humper; hump goats you sicko. But by no means stand-up for fellow goat-humpers or explain that "it's [his] goat; I can show you where other goat-brothels are"... If you stand by your humping, perhaps the NFL and its up-kept image isn't for you. I for one, would love to take your place on a roster.

I just heard on WFAN about an hour ago that Goodell somehow got inside information from a reliable source that Vick was dropping $30K - $40K a pop on dogfights. Adios, Ron Mexico!

This is only the tip of the iceberg. In the meanwhile, tell Goodell how you feel about turds and thugs! :bag:

https://community.hsus.org/campaign/US_2007_dogfighting_nfl?qp_source=gaba5p&gclid=CIS4k9G%2dr4wCFRGCGgodPWSwSA

Archived