Brad Smith's 2nd year in Green

How will he produce? He made a few nice plays on reverses last season but the way he was plugged into the offense on obvious situations, like 4th & 1, was not too bright of a move. Do it surprisingly, like on a 3rd and 3, but have him THROW the ball. Enough running with the QB sneaks, do the option if you're going to do that. Heck, one of the more entertaining quarters I saw all season was Week 4 of the Preseason in the 4th Quarter when he Quarterbacked the team against the Eagles, running the option.

Brad Smith also needs to get onto the field more as a receiving threat as the 3rd wide receiver in a slot mans role. Tim Dwight has already stated that he will retire after the season and starting next season, Smith is going to be relied on as the #1 slot receiver option. Hopefully he will begin to show signs that will lead to great things for '08 and beyond.

Hey, Noodle Arm, as long as you're in there, get him the ball Chad!

I think Brad could do some damage and just more than the trick plays. The thing is he has to win that 3rd WR spot and I dont know if he will, Im still not sure what to think about the McCariens praise from the Manginius. Was it saying he is going to be the 3rd WR or just to raise trade value? THe point is though if he does get on the field Chad will get him the ball, and that could be very bad for the opposition. Smith has a lot of potential.

McCareins is the 3rd wideout but its between Smith & Dwight for the inside slot receiver position. You won't see McCareins in the slot position often, or at least I hope we won't.:eek: If McCareins is on the field, it will be either a 4 WR set or Cotchery will move inside.

McCareins is the 3rd wideout but its between Smith & Dwight for the inside slot receiver position. You won't see McCareins in the slot position often, or at least I hope we won't.:eek: If McCareins is on the field, it will be either a 4 WR set or Cotchery will move inside.

I think i'll go on a limb and say he will have a hand in 3 TD's this year. receiving, throwing, interecepting, running, returning you name it. 3 TD's though.

I'd really like to see him grab the reigns of the #3 wideout, eventhough i like Jmac. That was one hell of a draft class (so far, mangold, brick, leon, smith, e. smith i'm hoping for great things)

I think if McCareins were going to be moved he'd have been gone on draft day. I just don't think there's a market for him at his salary and he'll be worth more with us than whatever we'd get. I hope BSmith does more at wide-out too. The trick plays are nice, but I'd rather see him catch a few third and sixes for first downs. Having him run on short yardage probably is good because Pennington is brittle and not a strong runner, so on obvious situations it's fine.

I know V. Jackson( who was drafted by the Chargers a year before B. Smith came along) is bigger and faster than Smith, but I'm hoping that he will develop as a WR like Jackson is developing. He's likely to be SD's #1 WR this year. I know he doesn't have the quality WR s ahead of him like Smith does, but I think he(Smith) can develop into an impact WR. Mangini will probably use him less than SD has Jackson, so his development will be slower. But I'm anxious to watch it happen.

I know V. Jackson( who was drafted by the Chargers a year before B. Smith came along) is bigger and faster than Smith, but I'm hoping that he will develop as a WR like Jackson is developing. He's likely to be SD's #1 WR this year. I know he doesn't have the quality WR s ahead of him like Smith does, but I think he(Smith) can develop into an impact WR. Mangini will probably use him less than SD has Jackson, so his development will be slower. But I'm anxious to watch it happen.

that's a pretty fair comparison. I hate that i'm looking forward to this season so much, last time i did this it was 2005. Fortunatly we have much better men at the top and an 06 draft class that may have been the best of all 32 teams. Smith should be ready to be a solid starter in 08, 07 should put up good numbers though.

Jmac wont be traded... he does not have enough value...

If they wait until training camp or preseason he will enough value to get "something" back (a 2nd day pick) because some team will be desperate for a game-ready Receiver at that point. Between injuries and disappointments, there will be a team out there in need. I think a lot of it depends on whether they keep Dwight or not. You have Coles/Cotchery/Smith/McCaerins or Dwight/Stuckey ... then there are a number of guys in the mix to be a 6th receiver/practice squad/special teams player. All I'm saying is that if they want to unload McCaerins for a pick they can get it done if they time it right.

If they wait until training camp or preseason he will enough value to get "something" back (a 2nd day pick) because some team will be desperate for a game-ready Receiver at that point. Between injuries and disappointments, there will be a team out there in need. I think a lot of it depends on whether they keep Dwight or not. You have Coles/Cotchery/Smith/McCaerins or Dwight/Stuckey ... then there are a number of guys in the mix to be a 6th receiver/practice squad/special teams player. All I'm saying is that if they want to unload McCaerins for a pick they can get it done if they time it right.

Moss only got a 4th round pick... some teams MIGHT give up a 6th or 7th... but i doubt it with his contract... they will sit back and wait for him to be released.

Smith was only used in certain packages because he is still trying to get used to playing receiver. They didn't want to rush him into things being that he had a lot on his plate (QB/WR/HB/ST). It's not because Schottenheimer doesn't know what he is doing. He had a lot to learn. I'm not saying I didn't want to see him used more last year because of his potential but it is understandable. That said, I expect to see a lot more of him this year. He's had a year to get used to the new position and learn the complex Offense that the Jets are now running. Anyway, I think we are going to see Mr. Smith make some significant progress as a player and his playing time should definitely be increased. I'd love to see him make a bunch of catches, run a few reverses, and throw some passes as well. I think we all would. It can only help things. Let's see how much Brad has grown when training camp gets under way and hope for the best.

Moss only got a 4th round pick... some teams MIGHT give up a 6th or 7th... but i doubt it with his contract... they will sit back and wait for him to be released.

You're probably right on that but you never know. When teams get desperate, giving up a second day pick doesn't seem like such a big deal. The thing with Moss isn't the best example though. He is making HUGE money and the Raiders saw a huge problem on the way already having to deal with Porter. Most teams wouldn't go near him because of the potential headaches. He also has not produced much the last few years to where he is considered to be the player he once was (I know it's because he was on the Raiders and unfortunately I think he still has something left). Don't be surprised if Tennessee offers a 5th or 6th rounder to get Justin back. Any team that is dealing for him won't need to worry too much about what he is making when the season is here since they will already have their cap room figured out by then. They would also probably work on a new deal with him. With some of the teams in the league lucky if they have one receiver, he could go somewhere.

Get rid of Dwight if any,he is terrible at this point in his career.I like Stuckey better for the 4th wr spot.This kid will produce wait and see.He had a 3rd round grade but slipped only because of his injury.Stuckey will start eventually,Coles/Cotchery/Smith/Stuckey....release Dwight.And before you guys mention Dwights value as a PR,remember that will probably Revis' job,also Stuckey returned punts at Clemson.

Get rid of Dwight if any,he is terrible at this point in his career.I like Stuckey better for the 4th wr spot.This kid will produce wait and see.He had a 3rd round grade but slipped only because of his injury.Stuckey will start eventually,Coles/Cotchery/Smith/Stuckey....release Dwight.And before you guys mention Dwights value as a PR,remember that will probably Revis' job,also Stuckey returned punts at Clemson.

I'm with you on Stuckey. He was a major steal in the 7th round. I'm also not against letting Dwight go.

Archived