If Giambi returns this year he should return to the bench

Matt39

Why do I see a repeat of last season happening? Please Joe, keep this team the way it is. Melky needs to be our every day CF, Damon can DH.

Giambi brings zero to the table. We dont need his bat in the lineup.

Zero to the table except a 950+ OPS every year he's healthy LOL.

Zero to the table except a 950+ OPS every year he's healthy LOL.

Giambi* goes into slumps though

yeah, theres the times hes a .300/.430/.570 hitter

but for a long portion of the season he can be a .220/.350/.450 hitter, which is not what the Yankees really need.

Giambi* goes into slumps though

yeah, theres the times hes a .300/.430/.570 hitter

but for a long portion of the season he can be a .220/.350/.450 hitter, which is not what the Yankees really need.

When he's healthy he's a great hitter. The only times he's hit poorly as a yankee have been when he's hurt.

OPS? WHo the hell cares geek. The guy cant run. He either hits a HR, K's or walks. Giambi walking is essentially useless because he can only run from base to base. He never drives the ball into the gaps, he is atrocious defensively and add in the fact we havent won jack with him here.

We should have got rid of him with Sheff, we dont need his bat in the lineup.

I'll put it this way when I saw Giambi was hurt and would be out for a while I was actually thought it was a good thing. The guy doesn't have much left and with him out we can play Cabrera regularly, who is a better CF than Damon at this point, and Damon can DH and stay fresh.

Who gives a sh!t about Giambi's OPS when the Yankees are winning games like this?

I'll put it this way when I saw Giambi was hurt and would be out for a while I was actually thought it was a good thing. The guy doesn't have much left and with him out we can play Cabrera regularly, who is a better CF than Damon at this point, and Damon can DH and stay fresh.

Who gives a sh!t about Giambi's OPS when the Yankees are winning games like this?

The yankees win 6 in a row vs 2 horrible teams and people want the 2nd best hitter on the team benched LOL.

OPS? WHo the hell cares geek. The guy cant run. He either hits a HR, K's or walks. Giambi walking is essentially useless because he can only run from base to base. He never drives the ball into the gaps, he is atrocious defensively and add in the fact we havent won jack with him here.

We should have got rid of him with Sheff, we dont need his bat in the lineup.

I agree with what you're saying....and the Yankees are gonna have to decide come playoff time whether they want Melky in CF or Damon. If Melky keeps hitting, he's gotta stay in center.

So Johnny better pick up 1st base real quick (not crazy about that at all after last years Sheff debacle) because Giambi will probably come back and get the DH spot whether we like it or not.

I tell ya what though if Giambi does come back and gets his DH spot, he should hit no higher than 8th. He's not a good enough hitter anymore to hit 3-6 in the order.

The objective of a hitter is to avoid making outs. Giambi is the 31st best player in the history of baseball at avoiding making out.

Then how come he's been a .250 hitter since 2003?

He is a 1 dimensional pull hitter who clogs up the base paths and cant situational hit. He should bat no higer than 8th when he returns.

Then how come he's been a .250 hitter since 2003?

He is a 1 dimensional pull hitter who clogs up the base paths and cant situational hit. He should bat no higer than 8th when he returns.

Thats why BA is a pretty meaningless stat. OBP is much more important.

There is no such thing as "clogging up the bases" as a negative.

When you are a station to station runner on the basepaths, you're worth little once you get on base unless somebody pops a home run, and we all know counting on home runs in the playoffs never works.

If Giambi gets out 3/4 of the time, he's not worth jack sh#t esp considering he cant even play defense or run on the basepaths.

We dont need Giambi. At least not in the top half of the order where we have better hitters than him.

collecting walks does nothing to score baserunners unless the bases are juiced (kinda like giambi haha)

and walks are more based on the pitcher not placing the ball correctly

I agree with what you're saying....and the Yankees are gonna have to decide come playoff time whether they want Melky in CF or Damon. If Melky keeps hitting, he's gotta stay in center.

So Johnny better pick up 1st base real quick (not crazy about that at all after last years Sheff debacle) because Giambi will probably come back and get the DH spot whether we like it or not.

I tell ya what though if Giambi does come back and gets his DH spot, he should hit no higher than 8th. He's not a good enough hitter anymore to hit 3-6 in the order.

Torre will never go with keeping Melky in center and having Damon take up the DH spot for a prolonged period. 1B would be risky as well.

As for Giambi, there are two Yanks capable of carrying the offense and he is one of them.

Having Giambi in the lineup rubs off on the rest of the team and its not in a good way. They return to the same old "wait for the HR" approach which we have seen simply does not work in the playoffs.

If Giambi is forced to "carry the offense" then were simply not a good enough team. When the Yankees were winning rings name me someone who carried the offense. It didnt happen. Melky in the lineup is a better option at this point because he provides balance. We already have Arod as a slugger and thats more than enough considering the way he's hitting. Plugging the lineup with HR hitters just isnt a good idea and has gotten us nowhere.

Having Giambi in the lineup rubs off on the rest of the team and its not in a good way. They return to the same old "wait for the HR" approach which we have seen simply does not work in the playoffs.

If Giambi is forced to "carry the offense" then were simply not a good enough team. When the Yankees were winning rings name me someone who carried the offense. It didnt happen. Melky in the lineup is a better option at this point because he provides balance. We already have Arod as a slugger and thats more than enough. Plugging the lineup with HR hitters just isnt a good idea and has gotten us nowhere.

Not saying you are wrong but all teams need one or two players "capable" of carrying the offense when .270 hitters like Melky have gone cold(er).

Just because the 96-2000 didn't have standout All-time superstars it doesn't mean that is the blueprint for Yankee success.

Those teams still had hitters like O'neil, Bernie,Fielder, Tino who could carry the team via the HR ball for a couple of weeks when needed. I wouldn't count on the Yanks going anywhere with only one legit HR source in the line-up.

Not saying you are wrong but all teams need one or two players "capable" of carrying the offense when .270 hitters like Melky have gone cold(er).

Just because the 96-2000 didn't have standout All-time superstars it doesn't mean that is the blueprint for Yankee success.

Those teams still had hitters like O'neil, Bernie,Fielder, Tino who could carry the team via the HR ball for a couple of weeks when needed. I wouldn't count on the Yanks going anywhere with only one legit HR source in the line-up.

And this team has hitters like Abreu, Damon and Matsui...who are all still capable of hitting HR's.

Archived