Histort of the Mangini Fued

BornJetsFan1983

Ok so Eric and Bill have a fued, I watched the top 10 feuds in the NFL, on the NFL network, which by the way Al Davis/NFL feud got the number one, followed by the NFL/AFL(Namath baby SB 3) feud as number two. Anyways So Im think that maybe Eric and Bill can get in the list maybe, but I dont really know how long Bill is going to coach and since Im not in the area Im not even sure I know the whole story of why Mangini and Bill are fueding. I know the basic story but Im sure I missed some of the details or rumors that you guy in NY got to hear and probably all know, so if someone would be so kind as to finish this Sentence

The Feud between Eric M NY Jets and Bill B NE Patriots all started when.......

Just fill me in, I'd like to hear about the rumors too thanks yo

Belichick schooled Mangini, basically giving him a career in the NFL, and gave him the opporunity of a lifetime in 2005 by making him his defensive coordinator at such a young age. Now Belly feels betrayed by Mangini for jumping ship to a hated division rival.

Even as a Jets fan it's easy to see how Belly feels betrayed by Mangini, Mangini wouldn't even have a career in the NFL if it wasn't for him and now he has to face him twice a year.

Peter, that's not what i've heard.

Belichick had no serious problem with mangini taking the Jets HC job in and of itself. problems started when mangini began to bring over staff from new england and exercise competitive tactics with their players (i.e. "tampering" with deion branch). in any case belichick obviously holds this against mangini and can't have a competitive rivalry without making it personal.

look he had no problem with nick saban coaching in his division because saban never infiltrated new england rank and file.

as far as belichick feeling betrayed, i doubt that. staff members get promoted and move on all the time. i dont think he's going to feel betrayed just because he went to the jets. the fact is coaches are glorified when their staff succeeds and branches out in the NFL. besides mangini's success will mean only spreading more of belichick's influence over the NFL.

in any case i think belichick is a little paranoid and doesn't have a life outside of football so he's not able to separate between personal friendship and his professional life.

Belicheck brought most of the coaching staff of the Jets over to the Patriots in 2000, so all these talk about feeling Belly feeling betrayed because Mangini had a few guys come with him is nonsense.

The Jets are the Patriots biggest rivals in the division, not the Dolphins. So of course, Belly was going to be much more cordial to Nick Saban (who's team gets stomped) then by Mangini's team who was a legit threat in the division.

Comparing Nick Saban to Mangini is laughable. Nick Saban was established before working briefly with Belly, and had great success in the college ranks before he left to work for the Dolphins, a team with which Belly had no ties. Saban also comes from a coaching family - with AFL roots. He could/would have gotten his foot in the door with or without Belichick's help.

Mangini was a ball boy with Cleaveland with no pro coaching experience when Belly discovered him. Unless you count whatever he did with that semi-pro team in Australia. As someone with ties to the Milanese semi-pro team I don't. Mangini worked his way up, constantly pushed and aided by Belly, then he ran out right after getting the coveted DC position to take the head job with the Jets a team Belichick left on very bad terms over Belly's objection.

I'm sure that Belichick thought he could count on at least a few years of loyalty from such a young inexperienced/unattractive head coaching candidate that he basically mentored through the ranks. I see the bull**** Deion Branch tampering charges as evidence of a feud, not a cause of one.

Belicheck brought most of the coaching staff of the Jets over to the Patriots in 2000, so all these talk about feeling Belly feeling betrayed because Mangini had a few guys come with him is nonsense.

The Jets are the Patriots biggest rivals in the division, not the Dolphins. So of course, Belly was going to be much more cordial to Nick Saban (who's team gets stomped) then by Mangini's team who was a legit threat in the division.

You think the Jets were their biggest rival? maybe in 07, but before that it had to be the phins. They were the only team that could actually beat them once a year. The Jets hadn't proved they could stand on the same field as NE until the second meeting in 06.

As of now, i don't think there is much debate that NYJ are the Pats biggest concern in the division, and some wouldn't even call it a concern, more of a nuesance.

Peter, that's not what i've heard.

Belichick had no serious problem with mangini taking the Jets HC job in and of itself. problems started when mangini began to bring over staff from new england and exercise competitive tactics with their players (i.e. "tampering" with deion branch). in any case belichick obviously holds this against mangini and can't have a competitive rivalry without making it personal.

look he had no problem with nick saban coaching in his division because saban never infiltrated new england rank and file.

as far as belichick feeling betrayed, i doubt that. staff members get promoted and move on all the time. i dont think he's going to feel betrayed just because he went to the jets. the fact is coaches are glorified when their staff succeeds and branches out in the NFL. besides mangini's success will mean only spreading more of belichick's influence over the NFL.

in any case i think belichick is a little paranoid and doesn't have a life outside of football so he's not able to separate between personal friendship and his professional life.

I think this is the biggest thing that caused the tension. Most 'rumors' use this as the example of the feud.

The Saban example is a good point. Belichick has said Saban is a better coach then him. Hyperbole? Maybe, so Mangini taking the Jets is not that big of a deal. I think the Branch thing, which was a good move to drive up the price, was probably crossing the line in Belichick's eyes.

Will the Feud be big this year? I mean do you think after we beat the Pats in the first game, Bill will like get all pissy again?

According to sources, Bellicheck and Mangini want to end the feud and become friends again...Until Sept. rolls around that is.

Jets/Patriots is quietly becoming one of the bigger rivalries in the NFL, and if the NYJ can pull another win in '07, it won't be so quiet anymore.

This is the most overated feud ever.There is no hatred or even any real cold feeling. Belichek just thought Mangini jumped ship too early, Mangini proved him wrong. They arent as close friends anymore, so what??:yawn:

Good point..Listen it was Mangini's shot..He was hot and jumped at a unbelievable opportunity.. If the PAT's go into the tank last year Mangini would have lost that window of opportunity and who knows how long he would have waited for his next window to open..The move was a no-brainer for Mangini.A chance to be a HEAD COACH, financial security for your family and in NY besides. Eric Mangini did what was in his best interst career wise..HOW can anyone have a problem with that is beyond me. I'm sure Eric appreciates everything Bill B did for him,I felt the same way about my Dad but I did eventually move out to make my own mark!

Glen, I think that you are right. What should a young coach do; wait around until the older coaches grace their step up to the head coaching slot or take the opportunity when it presents itself? Bill had his shot; Eric had his shot. Nothing personal, this is business. PS, Mangini is about to put some hurt down on Bill.

There is no feud and if there is, so what? It is not like they are going draw pistols at 20 paces. Mangini left to become a HC, good for him, why on earth should Belly be at someone taking what may be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I dont buy that theres no feud....there is and everybody knows it, I always thought it wasnt so much that Eric left to an indivision team but that it was because he was trying to take some guys with him or that he was in talks with some. Bell is a proud man and has every right to be, But I think with the media sure it got bigger but I saw the hand shakes and the refusal to say Erics name last year, then after the season in the playoffs when that reporter got like punched/pushed out of Bills way was classic. If their was no feud how come no other two coaches do that **** after a game....oh wait some do. THe ones that have a fued...I think this year its going to be great after game one. I cant wait. I also thing Bull takes pride in the fact that Mangini is a good coach or at least has started out good.

Archived