Kendall....In his own words

gangreenman

With all the hype surrounding the Kendall situation, its good to view this type of conflict from both sides... Here's an article that Kendall wrote himself for Jetsconfidential.com ....

I had a conversation with Mike Tannenbaum two weeks ago. Mike said what I was asking for wasn

With all the hype surrounding the Kendall situation, its good to view this type of conflict from both sides... Here's an article that Kendall wrote himself for Jetsconfidential.com ....

Seems pretty reasonable to me, but now it may have elevated too much for the Jets to give in to his demands without setting a bad example...

Doesn't Seem to be completely unreasonable. What he hasn't mentioned is the value that he is requesting. I think that's where the problem is, also with what willingness he has to lower that value.

the guy has always been upfront about things and do not see why he would lie about it...he was a leader last year and guys like D Brick and Mangold can learn alot from him on and off the field..get it done Jets

If I wanted someone to teach the new guys, I'd make Kendall the offensive line coach.

However, you do not give a 34-year old who can't push anyone around anymore a significant raise like the one he is asking for. We need a road grader for our running game, and he is not that, at least not anymore.

I get the feeling that Mangini and Tannenbaum see no urgency in getting this done because they feel they have solid depth at the G position. If this is the case, that is excellent news, since I see the G spot as our biggest concern at the moment.

If I wanted someone to teach the new guys, I'd make Kendall the offensive line coach.

However, you do not give a 34-year old who can't push anyone around anymore a significant raise like the one he is asking for. We need a road grader for our running game, and he is not that, at least not anymore.

I get the feeling that Mangini and Tannenbaum see no urgency in getting this done because they feel they have solid depth at the G position. If this is the case, that is excellent news, since I see the G spot as our biggest concern at the moment.

They didn't seem to think that we had a problem at DE last year either. The Mangini/Tannenbaum combo also didn't seek to upgrade at RT. Standing pat doesn't make me feel confident for the position. Especially if you pull Kendall out of the equation.

No, If Tangini really thought they could do without him at G, they wouldnt have kept him around just to be a complainer and a locker room cancer.

They didn't seem to think that we had a problem at DE last year either. The Mangini/Tannenbaum combo also didn't seek to upgrade at RT. Standing pat doesn't make me feel confident for the position. Especially if you pull Kendall out of the equation.

Then how do you explain the Jacob Bender selection?

I admit that I was NOT comfortable with our OL situation coming into the offseason, and this concern was not assuaged by the events during this offseason. However, I trust that Mangini knows something about the OL that I don't, and that will suffice for now. If the OL is not ready to go or is ineffective (especially in run-blocking) when the season starts, THEN I'll be worried.

But I am quite confident "Tangini" knows what they are doing. Between improved versions of Ferguson and Mangold (at the 2 most important positions on the OL) and some under-the-radar linemen that are reportedly emerging as contenders for starting roles, I'm not going to lose any sleep at night.

I admit that I was NOT comfortable with our OL situation coming into the offseason, and this concern was not assuaged by the events during this offseason. However, I trust that Mangini knows something about the OL that I don't, and that will suffice for now. If the OL is not ready to go or is ineffective (especially in run-blocking) when the season starts, THEN I'll be worried.

But I am quite confident "Tangini" knows what they are doing. Between improved versions of Ferguson and Mangold (at the 2 most important positions on the OL) and some under-the-radar linemen that are reportedly emerging as contenders for starting roles, I'm not going to lose any sleep at night.

I tend not to lose any sleep at night until the season is at least 10 days away or so.... I'm not all that worried about how well we practice. :P

I'm not worried. The team can perform and perform well even with weak spots. Still doesn't make me feel all gooey over some reject from the Dolphins starting at guard because Mangini allegedly knows more about football that us.

Jacob Bender? The 6th round? That's addressing a problem? There is very little chance Bender contributes this year and this year is the year we are stuck with Clement and Jones again.

I think "Tangini" know what they are doing too, but I have given you specific instances when either they poorly planned for depth/talent at a position or failed to upgrade an obvious weak spot. BTW, those "under-the-radar linemen" are "emerging as contenders for starting roles" primarily because Kendall skipped the optional camp.

wow so quick to push Kendall out the door and where is there someone better? The guy is still serviceable something that cannot be said for a guy like Kimo who is useless.

For the money Kendall is asking for, he had better be more than "serviceable".

I think "Tangini" know what they are doing too, but I have given you specific instances when either they poorly planned for depth/talent at a position or failed to upgrade an obvious weak spot.

Please elaborate.

Did he ever state his specific demand? All I saw was that he wanted a raise and he didn't expect huge money.

Please elaborate.

See my earlier post. RT going into '06 and '07. DE going into '06. Sure maybe they liked Kimo, but what else did they have? They had to scramble to pick up Bobby Hamilton. There's a problem solver for you. RB going into camp in '06. They obviously were counting on Curtis or happy with Blaylock/Houston/Washington. Bad choice, forced to scramble again. Lee Suggs, then Barlow.

To a lesser extent, FB in '06. They didn't even have anybody for real in camp from the time Pociask (a TE) went down. They obviously never liked Askew at FB. Forced to pick up guys like Hodgins and Sean Ryan (another TE) to use at the spot.

In their defense, '06 had to be viewed at as a rebuilding year, so holes were to be expected. Their number one question mark had to be qb. They covered themselves with Ramsey and picking up Clemens in the draft. Maybe it's why they are so in love with ex-qbs. Interior line depth (maybe OT depth too, but I don't see it) was covered by Trey Teague who got hurt and never performed. NT depth would have been nice to address. Pouha getting hurt was a problem, and Pope retiring, so I give a pass there though I'm surprised they didn't address the issue in '07 or at least re-sign Moore.

Please elaborate.

did anyone catch him on nfl radio on sirius today? The guy really sounds pretty reasonable. HE point blank says "look, i know i am not a young guy entering the prime of my career, and I am not asking for even half of the money the guys making deals at his position now are getting." From his point of view, 2 seasons ago he had to switch and play out of position, and the day after that first game out of position, the jets FO called and asked him to redo his contract and take a pay cut. Now, from what he is saying, he is really only asking to get back to where he wasa before the paycut, and this was something the FO had implied they would do when they cut his pay. The jets don't sound like they think what he is asking for is unreasonable, but they don't want to set a precedent for renegotiating contracts. If this is the case that is a total load of crap because they had no problem wanting to renegotiate his salery when they wanted money back.

The guy also said he tried to do this back in january when it would be under the radar and he didn't want to go public. He told Tenenbaum he didn't care how they drew it up, they could spin it any way they wanted, he just wanted what he felt he was deserved.

The guy sounds legit to me, he was humble and didn't get nasty or slam anyone, and didn't say he would definitely sit out, i tend to think what he is saying has some credability.

did anyone catch him on nfl radio on sirius today? The guy really sounds pretty reasonable. HE point blank says "look, i know i am not a young guy entering the prime of my career, and I am not asking for even half of the money the guys making deals at his position now are getting." From his point of view, 2 seasons ago he had to switch and play out of position, and the day after that first game out of position, the jets FO called and asked him to redo his contract and take a pay cut. Now, from what he is saying, he is really only asking to get back to where he wasa before the paycut, and this was something the FO had implied they would do when they cut his pay. The jets don't sound like they think what he is asking for is unreasonable, but they don't want to set a precedent for renegotiating contracts. If this is the case that is a total load of crap because they had no problem wanting to renegotiate his salery when they wanted money back.

The guy also said he tried to do this back in january when it would be under the radar and he didn't want to go public. He told Tenenbaum he didn't care how they drew it up, they could spin it any way they wanted, he just wanted what he felt he was deserved.

The guy sounds legit to me, he was humble and didn't get nasty or slam anyone, and didn't say he would definitely sit out, i tend to think what he is saying has some credability.

The guy gets to play football in the NFL and gets MILLIONS of dollars to boot.....I WOULD DO IT FOR FREE

F*** HIM!

The guy gets to play football in the NFL and gets MILLIONS of dollars to boot.....I WOULD DO IT FOR FREE

F*** HIM!

Yeah, until you break your neck and become a vegatable and leave your family to take care of you and wipe your @ss for you for the rest of your life. Dude, the guy isn't asking for the big money millions. If the team wants to negotiate down, they should be willing to renegotiate up to. This isn't TO we are talking about here, it is a guard who took one for the team when the wheels were coming off the bus 2 years ago.

joebaby and # 27, you both have made good points about Kendall. What steps do you think the Jets front office SHOULD be taking? One can only assume they have had a conversation with him by now, but just how lenient should they be on this issue without seeting a bad precedent.

They're treading a tightrope on this one somewhat.

I do not believe in the renegotiation of contracts. If you sign it, honor it. He [kendall] noted that they asked him to take a paycut and he did. However, if he was so concerned about his compensation he did not have to do that at that time. If he thought he was so valuable he should have declined the request and sought his release last year. Maybe last year he recognized that he is an aging player and a pay cut is better than being released. He is only getting older so what has changed that would make the Jets give him more money?

I do not belive in the renegotiations of contracts. If you sign it, honor it. He noted that they asked him to take a paycut and he did, however if he was so concerned about his compensation he did not have to do that at that time. If he thought he was so valuable he should have declined the request ands sought his release last year.

his agent did a poor job of foreseeing the implications of the expanding salary cap-- implications everyone knew was coming.

joebaby and # 27, you both have made good points about Kendall. What steps do you think the Jets front office SHOULD be taking? One can only assume they have had a conversation with him by now, but just how lenient should they be on this issue without seeting a bad precedent.

They're treading a tightrope on this one somewhat.

The jets are not setting a precedent by renegotiating a contract with him, they already renegotiated when they took money away from the guy after asking him to play out of position. Also, by making him play out of position, does that hurt his value in the free market since he obviously will not have a great year?

I would say the jets can safely renegotiate the contract with him. If another guy comes along and wants to renegotiate, they can stick to their guns and say we have never renegotiated other then a guy who gave us back money first when we asked.

What about setting the precedent in the locker room with the vets that you won't be standup in the front office. Should the vets now think twice about restructuring contracts for the benefit of the team?

The jets are not setting a precedent by renegotiating a contract with him, they already renegotiated when they took money away from the guy after asking him to play out of position. Also, by making him play out of position, does that hurt his value in the free market since he obviously will not have a great year?

I would say the jets can safely renegotiate the contract with him. If another guy comes along and wants to renegotiate, they can stick to their guns and say we have never renegotiated other then a guy who gave us back money first when we asked.

What about setting the precedent in the locker room with the vets that you won't be standup in the front office. Should the vets now think twice about restructuring contracts for the benefit of the team?

If he wanted a 1 year contract last year he should have signed a 1 year contract instead of 4 years.

I really don't know what some of you guys have been watching, but our best offensive lineman from the moment he got here has been Pete Kendall. It is no coincidence that his first season with us resulted in the NFL rushing leader. Since that time he has had to play center for almost an entire season with a bunch of scrubs and then got sandwiched between 2 rookies. I don't care how talented those rookies are, it is a huge task to ask him to not only cover his ground but also the ground of the rookies around him (which he had to do plenty of times). This would be his only other opportunity where he can finally just play his position without worrying about anything else but the man he's blocking, and the last time he did that, as I said earlier, we had the leading NFL rusher.

if we give kendall more money i'm afraid he's gonna puff up and turd out.

or be appreciative of the fact that the FO did the right thing. I am as cynical as anyone, but after listening to him talk on sirius radio, I am gonna think he is a stand-up guy who feels he is getting up jammed up the keister and just wants what is fair. The jets are picking the wrong guy and wrong situation to make a point. The guy isn't even asking for big money, not even half of what the current deals are for guys at his position.

or be appreciative of the fact that the FO did the right thing. I am as cynical as anyone, but after listening to him talk on sirius radio, I am gonna think he is a stand-up guy who feels he is getting up jammed up the keister and just wants what is fair. The jets are picking the wrong guy and wrong situation to make a point. The guy isn't even asking for big money, not even half of what the current deals are for guys at his position.

They obviously don't think he is worth it... I would tell him to re-structure and take a 1 year deal in this case... OK take your 3 million... but **** off next season...

I think they are just waiting it out to see if any good guards get cut... just like Kendall did...

Yeah, until you break your neck and become a vegatable and leave your family to take care of you and wipe your @ss for you for the rest of your life. Dude, the guy isn't asking for the big money millions. If the team wants to negotiate down, they should be willing to renegotiate up to. This isn't TO we are talking about here, it is a guard who took one for the team when the wheels were coming off the bus 2 years ago.

Oh Please with the Veggie talk

hey what about these guys who get paid peanuts to risk their neck

"Early-arriving reporters saw a strange sight as the players worked their way through Mangini's bag drills: Some nine new "players," wearing not white helmets, numbered green and white uniforms and black football shoes but rather bareheaded and sporting Army camo clothing and tan boots.

"Everybody I'm sure saw the soldiers out there today. They're guests of ours from Fort Bragg [N.C.]," Mangini said at his 1:15 news conference. "I told the team this morning, they're the reason we get to do what we do. We're out here practicing football because of the sacrifices they make. Most of them have done multiple tours, either in Iraq, Kosovo or Afghanistan. Some are special forces soldiers, some are Army rangers. They're really, really good people."

I may have more on the soldiers following the afternoon practice."

Oh Please with the Veggie talk

hey what about these guys who get paid peanuts to risk their neck

"Early-arriving reporters saw a strange sight as the players worked their way through Mangini's bag drills: Some nine new "players," wearing not white helmets, numbered green and white uniforms and black football shoes but rather bareheaded and sporting Army camo clothing and tan boots.

"Everybody I'm sure saw the soldiers out there today. They're guests of ours from Fort Bragg [N.C.]," Mangini said at his 1:15 news conference. "I told the team this morning, they're the reason we get to do what we do. We're out here practicing football because of the sacrifices they make. Most of them have done multiple tours, either in Iraq, Kosovo or Afghanistan. Some are special forces soldiers, some are Army rangers. They're really, really good people."

I may have more on the soldiers following the afternoon practice."

Hey rookie, this is a football forum. And football players get paid more then soldiers, teachers, police, firemen, emt's, and most doctors, i don't see what the point would be to argue that in this thread.

Archived