Celtics agree to acquire Garnett for four players, draft pick

TaborJet

Celtics agree to acquire Garnett for four players, draft pick

July 30, 2007

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

BOSTON -- Kevin Garnett is leaving Minnesota after the Boston Celtics agreed to acquire the All-Star forward in a multiplayer trade with the Timberwolves, a Celtics official told the Associated Press on Monday.

Among the players who could be headed to Minnesota are forward Al Jefferson, guard Sebastian Telfair, swingman Gerald Green and center Theo Ratliff, said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the deal had not been completed. The official also said the Timberwolves would get at least one draft choice.

The teams still had some things to clarify with the players' contracts, but the official said that would not keep the Celtics from acquiring Garnett, although there could be a change in the players ticketed for the Timberwolves.

There was a chance that a conference call announcing the trade would be held Monday, the official said.

Garnett, 31, has spent all of his 12 NBA seasons with Minnesota. He would get an extension of his contract, which has one year plus an option year remaining, the official said.

The Celtics had tried to get Garnett late last month, but his agent said he didn't want to go to Boston.

Since then, Boston acquired seven-time All-Star guard Ray Allen from Seattle in a draft day deal. Already with Paul Pierce, the Celtics would become instant contenders in the mediocre Atlantic Division with Garnett, even without promising forward Jefferson.

The Celtics obtained Allen and the 35th pick of the draft for guards Delonte West and Wally Szczerbiak, and forward Jeff Green of Georgetown, whom they drafted with the fifth pick.

The Celtics have won just three playoff series during Pierce's nine years with them. They still have an NBA-record 16 championships, but none since 1986.

"They have no excuses, this team out there," Danny Ainge, the executive director of basketball operations, said after Allen was acquired.

Pierce, 29, led the Celtics in scoring last season but played only 47 games because of injury.

Allen, who turns 32 next month, averaged a career-high 26.4 points last season, his 11th, but underwent surgery to remove bone spurs on both ankles that required him to wear protective boots. He is expected to be ready for training camp.

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok--i laughed when they traded for Ray Allen and his 32-year old horrible ankles...but all of a sudden they look really good. You've got 3 guys together who badly want a championship--in the case of KG and Pierce, maybe even more so than that "big payday". It seems like it would be one of those things that never works, like Denver with AI, but who knows--maybe this is the one that works?

After the season, the Celts told Pierce "We're gonna surround you with some talent"

They didn't lie to him, the Celtics got 2 of the best players over the past 7-10 years.

Pierce, Allen, and Garnett is ridiculous.

But the Celts did give up too much, Telfair sucks, but Ratliff, Green, AND al jefferson , and 2 future 1st rounders?? eh eh, too much

The Timberwolves just raped the Celtics.

I'm a DIEHARD Celtics fan, and I agree.

I've heard it is TWO 1st round draft picks. In addition Jefferson is going to be a STUD. He will be a 25 & 10 guy for a long time in a few years. Green is a high energy, effective player. Those 2 + the TWO 1st round picks is alot. Telfair and Ratliff were never wearing a Celtic jersey again anyway, so no loss there.

While I like the thought of KG, Pierce & Allen playing together, giving up a ton of young talent and 2 first rd picks for KG in my mind was alot.

Nowhere to go but up for the C's, so this is a start!

Lets be serious here for a moment. 1) with these big three, they are automatically contenders in the east 2) therefore their next two first round picks would be sh*t anyway. I can't see lottery picks anywhere in their immediate future.

I am completely in favor of this. Go for the gold now. I'm sick of rebuilding and I'm sick of waiting.

"Big Three"? Ray Allen is way past his prime and we'll see how Kevin Garnett does now with all the pressure in a big city and now the "experts" can no longer say that it was Minnesota's lack of players around him that kept him from at least getting past the 1st f'ng round. Good luck Boston.

"Big Three"? Ray Allen is way past his prime and we'll see how Kevin Garnett does now with all the pressure in a big city and now the "experts" can no longer say that it was Minnesota's lack of players around him that kept him from at least getting past the 1st f'ng round. Good luck Boston.

So what are you saying? Allen can no longer drop 20+ a game, because if that's what you are thinking, then you're wrong, he was just in a bad situation in Seattle since arrival, and now he has a new squad around him, expect him to get back to his Milwaukee days.

As for KG, he will be the same 20-10-4 player he was with the T'wolves, nothing will get better, nothing will get worse, him, along with Pierce and the aforementioned Allen has me shaking in my boots, since I'm a Nets fan, and they are in our division.

Now we have to compete with the Raptors, the Celts, who both improved, the Raptors building with Bosh, Parker, Calderon, Ford, Bargnani, and getting Jason Kapono..

Celts, got Allen, KG, and Gabe Pruitt.

Who did we get?

Sean Williams.

Don't you live in NJ? Who do you like?

Just because I live in New Jersey doesn't mean I have to like the teams here.

I'm a New Yorker at heart, so take a guess.

Yes, I know the Knicks' struggles over the past years but the Nets have exactly as many rings in the past years as do the Knicks. 0.

Either way, Boston isn't getting past Detroit, Chicago or Cleveland.

Yes, I know the Knicks' struggles over the past years but the Nets have exactly as many rings in the past years as do the Knicks. 0.

You live in NJ? what the hell?

and riiight, the Knicks are so much better than the Nets, since when? 1998?

Seriously...

Detroit is basically the same team, Chicago has upgraded their big men and is the same team, and the Cavs are the same team...

Even with this trade Boston isnt at that level yet...

He never said that, I directed what I said to Ecurb, but according to him, he's always right, there's no arguing with him, it's fuggin' annoying.

The Knicks will be 10 wins better this season, and the nets will remain the same... that gives the Knicks the edge...

How could anyone say this is anything other than an absolute heist for the Celtics? Danny Ainge should be on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list if he pulls this off. This is rape. Let's break the trade down:

T-Wolves Get:

Theo Ratliff - Injury prone and he sucks. A poor man's Marcus Camby.

Al Jefferson - Overrated role player

Gerald Green - a good up and coming SG but those are a dime a dozen.

2 1st Round Picks - The Celts now have Pierce, Garnett and Ray Allen. Those picks aren't going to be sh*t.

Celtics Get:

Kevin Garnett - A top 5 player in the NBA. Easily gets you 25 and 12 a night. Has at least 6-7 good years left in him.

I don't want hear this crap about Garnett not winning in the playoffs. The T-Wolves never surrounded him with sh*t in Minnesota. The only year KG had a good supporting cast was '03-'04 with Sprewell and Cassell and they went to the Conference Finals. Next year they had injuries up the ass.

This trade instantly makes the Celtics a title contender. Yes E-Curb, this team is better than the Bulls and Cavs. Only teams in the East that can beat them in a 7 game series are the Detroit Pistons and maybe the Miami Heat if Shaq and Wade are both 100%.

Ainge just raped Minnesota. What the f*ck is Kevin McHale thinking?

Why don't the T-Wolves just accept the Suns' offer of Shawn Marion instead? They would be getting a lot more in return. Marion is an All-Star.

Shawn Marion is better than all those f*cking losers they're getting from the Celtics. Ratliff and Jefferson are srcubs and Gerald Green is just another Quentin Richardson, Ricky Davis type. There's a reason why Boston's team played like sh*t last year.

I know Garnett would be staying in the conference but they are going to accept a lot less in return for KG just so they can face him 2 less nights a year? That is a f*cking joke.

Why is Minnesota doing this trade? Are they stupid?

Why don't the T-Wolves just accept the Suns' offer of Shawn Marion instead? They would be getting a lot more in return. Marion is an All-Star.

Shawn Marion is better than all those they're getting from the Celtics. Ratliff and Jefferson are srcubs and Gerald Green is just another Quentin Richardson, Ricky Davis type. There's a reason why Boston's team played like sh*t last year.

I know Garnett would be staying in the conference but they are going to accept a lot less in return for KG just so they can face him 2 less nights a year? That is a f*cking joke.

The Bulls made much better offers as well... if I find the old articles I will post them... I forget which players... Im pretty sure the Twolves could have had Chandler/Curry and a 1st round pick at one point though...

The Bulls made much better offers as well... if I find the old articles I will post them... I forget which players... Im pretty sure the Twolves could have had Chandler/Curry and a 1st round pick at one point though...

You're right. Even Chandler/Curry is a better offer for KG. I think Kevin McHale is drinking some of Scott Layden's stupid juice.

Jefferson, Gomes, Green, Telfair, Ratliff, 2 first rounders and cash, all for KG, who is on his decline?

Wow. The Celtics are stupid. Allen couldnt play defense before this double ankle surgery, and PP is past his peak. The Celtics will be ok this season, 6th seed at best, and would stand no chance against the West. In 3 years, the Celtics will be right back to where they were this season.

But yeah, good move.

Shawn Marion is better than all those f*cking losers they're getting from the Celtics. Ratliff and Jefferson are srcubs and Gerald Green is just another Quentin Richardson, Ricky Davis type. There's a reason why Boston's team played like sh*t last year.

Do you even watch basketball? Jefferson is one of the up and coming stars of the NBA.

Do you even watch basketball? Jefferson is one of the up and coming stars of the NBA.

Peter knows his stuff, I don't doubt that.

But I do disagree with you there, Jefferson is an up and coming star in the NBA, he may not be great now, but his future is bright, remember, of the players sent to the T'wolves, only Ratliff is over that age of 22. All of those guys have potential to have some impact.

You people who think this is a bad trade for the Celtics and a good one for the T-Wolves are smoking crack. Point f*cking blank.

If Al Jefferson was such a wonderful player how come he couldn't help the Celtics do any better than a 24-58 record in a weak Easten Confernce?

Garnett in his decline is still way the f*ck better than Al Jefferson and scrubs like Telfair and Ratliff and two first round picks that won't be sh*t. Minnesota got raped here.

You people who think this is a bad trade for the Celtics and a good one for the T-Wolves are smoking crack. Point f*cking blank.

If Al Jefferson was such a wonderful player how come he couldn't help the Celtics do any better than a 24-58 record in a weak Easten Confernce?

Garnett in his decline is still way the f*ck better than Al Jefferson and scrubs like Telfair and Ratliff and two first round picks that won't be sh*t. Minnesota got raped here.

I don't really know what to think yet, at face value, I think Minnesota was raped, but depending on the performance of all the players involved there is no way to tell, best thing to do is sit back, relax, and see what happens...

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhh, hey Peter, pass the chips

couch-potato-cat.jpg

Peter knows his stuff, I don't doubt that.

But I do disagree with you there, Jefferson is an up and coming star in the NBA, he may not be great now, but his future is bright, remember, of the players sent to the T'wolves, only Ratliff is over that age of 22. All of those guys have potential to have some impact.

I really think Minnesota is going to be terrible next year. Around 20 wins terrible. Telfair is garbage with an attitude. If he wasn't Marbury's cousin he'd be a nobody. Gerald Green has talent but he's just another scoring swingman best case scenario. Just another Ricky Davis/Wally Sczerbiak type. T-Wolves have been there and done that. Al Jefferson is nowhere near what Kevin Garnett is.

If I was a T-Wolves fan I'd be plenty pissed off.

i dont know why they threw in gerald green in this deal, he's too good.

you trade 5 players, 2 future solid players (al jeff and green) and a few role guys, AND two first round draftpicks, for a guy whos in his 30's and only made it out of the first round of the playoffs once.

unless boston gets a ring, we got hosed in my opinion.

Archived