Thanks for nothing Revis

ECURB

You were drafted to make an impact (thats why you trade up to get someone in the 1st)

Instead of being honored by this you instead try to get picky about your contract length... whether this is the fault of you or your agent is irrelevant because a new agent is only one phone call away. Take what is given to you, its a privilege not a right to play in the NFL and history has shown that if you live up to your potential you will be paid anyways. (See Cotchery)

I will now always question your decision making because in an attempt to secure a 5 year contract you have essentially thrown out your rookie season and now risk never having the promising NFL career you and others had hoped for.

When this is all said and done, you will look back and wish you signed on the dotted line for 6 years the day before camp... instead you are now screwing over your new team before a deal is even done and also ruining your chances at valuable starting time to learn and grow with this young JETS team.

With that said...

**** YOU Darrell Revis until you prove me and others wrong you are officially a waste of a draft pick.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You were drafted to make an impact (thats why you trade up to get someone in the 1st)

Instead of being honored by this you instead try to get picky about your contract length... whether this is the fault of you or your agent is irrelevant because a new agent is only one phone call away. Take what is given to you, its a privilege not a right to play in the NFL and history has shown that if you live up to your potential you will be paid anyways. (See Cotchery)

I will now always question your decision making because in an attempt to secure a 5 year contract you have essentially thrown out your rookie season and now risk never having the promising NFL career you and others had hoped for.

When this is all said and done, you will look back and wish you signed on the dotted line for 6 years the day before camp... instead you are now screwing over your new team before a deal is even done and also ruining your chances at valuable starting time to learn and grow with this young JETS team.

With that said...

**** YOU Darrell Revis until you prove me and others wrong you are officially a waste of a draft pick.

maybe we can put revis in one of vick's dog picks or just blast him in the balls as hard as we possibly can. peace of chit.

everyone blames revis

meanwhile

if Schwartz takes the Jets 6 year deal he will be regarded as a laughing stock throughout the agent community

the Jets have brought this upon themselves.

Like I said, Revis could easily fire his agent and pick up a new one if he so badly wanted to play...

Dont act like Revis is innocent here.

Like I said, Revis could easily fire his agent and pick up a new one if he so badly wanted to play...

so ok you want Revis to fire his agent, hire another one, so the Jets can screw him?

Schwartz is not a bad agent, the Jets are putting him in a bad position.

note this is not the first time the Jets refused to believe that the market has changed

they are doing the same thing with Kendall and Moore. the Jets believe you don't pay guards, even though the rest of the league (including the pats) have abandoned this thinking.

Keyshawn Johnson, my new favorite analyst, said it best: "The length of the contract doesn't matter, if you're good you will get paid after your 4th year regardless because that is when teams lock up their star players. If you suck, well then you're going to be cut anyway and won't see that 6th year." (not a direct quote but generally he said this)

Sign the friggin contract and play football, otherwise go make fries.

It has been a very bad situation, but you know what? If he signs tomorrow, it will quickly all be forgotten by everyone.

There is only one little problem with my sunshine philosophy.

THE TWO SIDES ARE NOT EVEN FREAKIN TALKIN TO EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

so ok you want Revis to fire his agent, hire another one, so the Jets can screw him?

Schwartz is not a bad agent, the Jets are putting him in a bad position.

note this is not the first time the Jets refused to believe that the market has changed

they are doing the same thing with Kendall and Moore. the Jets believe you don't pay guards, even though the rest of the league (including the pats) have abandoned this thinking.

Screw him???

Are you kidding???

He is far from getting screwed.... if he can play ball he will get payed regardless...

It has been a very bad situation, but you know what? If he signs tomorrow, it will quickly all be forgotten by everyone.

There is only one little problem with my sunshine philosophy.

THE TWO SIDES ARE NOT EVEN FREAKIN TALKIN TO EACH OTHER!!!!!!!!!

Jesus, Mary and Joseph.

You got it... I hope he signs and proves me wrong... but until then... the JETS wasted a very high draft pick

If he fires his agent he has to wait five days before signing a new agent. That means five days where nothing can get done and contract talks with a new agent could take just as long as talks with Schwartz.

everyone blames revis

meanwhile

if Schwartz takes the Jets 6 year deal he will be regarded as a laughing stock throughout the agent community

the Jets have brought this upon themselves.

not if the moneys right bit, revis can sign 6 yrs without shwartz lookin too bad.

ecurb, we don't know whats goin on & there is an automatic delay when you change agents.

show some patience guys and no, millers potential hammy will have ZERO BEARING on the negotiations

yeah yeah and if he gets hurt then what?

promises are worthless

the only thing that matters is the bonus money

Thats a risk he has to take... the JETS are also taking a risk by signing him to less years...

My point is... it has gone beyond the smart thing to do... he is hurting his career now and is an idiot to do so...

5 days iceman? are you sure? I thought it was less but I don't know. it matters not as I doubt it will happen

I'm positive its five days cause the past couple days Profootballtalk.com has been talking about that rule non stop. They kept saying Quinn should change agents and are reporting Russel might.

we are looking at this issue as rabid Jets fans

not as people with Revis best interests as first priority

trust me when i say there is no agent worth his salt that will take a bad first round contract

revis can go get a crappy agent, but what does that say about the team if revis has to get an incompetant agent before the contract can be signed?

the Jets are the ones in the wrong here, it's not Revis' fault he doesn't want to bend over

If he fires his agent he has to wait five days before signing a new agent. That means five days where nothing can get done and contract talks with a new agent could take just as long as talks with Schwartz.

I wasn't aware of that rule..thanks.

we are looking at this issue as rabid Jets fans

not as people with Revis best interests as first priority

trust me when i say there is no agent worth his salt that will take a bad first round contract

revis can go get a crappy agent, but what does that say about the team if revis has to get an incompetant agent before the contract can be signed?

the Jets are the ones in the wrong here, it's not Revis' fault he doesn't want to bend over

Clearly Revis feels the JETS should be honored to have him on their team... good for him... **** him... he should be honored to sign a 6 year deal... he is blowing his first year already which further proves he is being stupid in this situation...

Clearly Revis feels the JETS should be honored to have him on their team... good for him... **** him... he should be honored to sign a 6 year deal... he is blowing his first year already which further proves he is being stupid in this situation...

OK but as you said in another thread the NFL is a business and for players it comes with lots of risks. If he gets injured and can't ever play again this will be his only chance to make this type of money and he wants to be paid fairly compared to everyone else.

You can't have it both ways where players should be honored to play but teams can look at it as strictly business.

OK but as you said in another thread the NFL is a business and for players it comes with lots of risks. If he gets injured and can't ever play again this will be his only chance to make this type of money and he wants to be paid fairly compared to everyone else.

You can't have it both ways where players should be honored to play but teams can look at it as strictly business.

I would be honored to be hired by a good company, its possible in the business world.

What Im saying is that Revis is approaching this the wrong way... he is acting like the JETS are lucky to have him... when for all anyone knows he could be a bust... he is asking for a shorter deal so that he can cash in on FA when he doesnt even know if that will be possible.

What has he done in the NFL to prove himself... NOTHING

Not to mention a lot of teams will be scared to try and sign him now that they know how full of himself he is.

I would be honored to be hired by a good company, its possible in the business world.

What Im saying is that Revis is approaching this the wrong way... he is acting like the JETS are lucky to have him... when for all anyone knows he could be a bust... he is asking for a shorter deal so that he can cash in on FA when he doesnt even know if that will be possible.

Not to mention a lot of teams will be scared to try and sign him now that they know how full of himself he is.

He's not full of himself he wants a fair deal according to this years market. Every player from 6-32 has been signed to a five year deal, its a little absurd to expect Revis to sign for 6.

He's not full of himself he wants a fair deal according to this years market. Every player from 6-32 has been signed to a five year deal, its a little absurd to expect Revis to sign for 6.

There was at least one 6 year deal in there...

and who cares what everybody else got... here is what your employer wants from you... too bad if you dont agree... your now hurting your career and basically wasting a year...

Revis is basically adding a 6th year now by doing this...

There was at least one 6 year deal in there...

and who cares what everybody else got... here is what your employer wants from you... too bad if you dont agree... your now hurting your career and basically wasting a year...

Revis is basically adding a 6th year now by doing this...

The closest thing to sixth years in those contracts are ones that are easily voidable which the Jets have reportedly refused to consider.

Keyshawn Johnson, my new favorite analyst, said it best: "The length of the contract doesn't matter, if you're good you will get paid after your 4th year regardless because that is when teams lock up their star players. If you suck, well then you're going to be cut anyway and won't see that 6th year." (not a direct quote but generally he said this)

Sign the friggin contract and play football, otherwise go make fries.

starledger.gif

A Jets holdout? Keyshawn can relate to that

Tuesday, August 07, 2007 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

Long before Darrelle Revis and his bitter contract stare-down with the Jets, which reached its 11th day yesterday, there was Keyshawn Johnson, the No. 1 pick of the 1996 draft who waged a 24-day holdout.

Johnson, who recently retired, can certainly relate to Revis and recalled yesterday his often-acrimonious contract battle with the Jets more than a decade ago.

"They weren't going to scare me into taking a bad deal," Johnson told The Star-Ledger. "Missing training camp wasn't my concern. I knew the game. I really wasn't worried about that. ... I wanted to get into camp. I wanted to play football. But I was in the opportunity of a lifetime to get what I felt I deserved."

Revis, the cornerback whom the Jets took 14th overall after trading up 12 spots, and the team are at an impasse over the length of the contract. Revis wants a five-year deal, but the team has offered six.

All but one of the players taken between sixth and 16th overall have signed five-year deals. Only defensive tackle Amobi Okoye, the Houston Texans' pick at No. 10, signed a six-year pact. But Okoye's contract has a "voidable" year that can be easily triggered by reaching very attainable incentives, meaning Okoye would be eligible for free agency after five seasons.

The Jets have a policy against voidable years.

Johnson, who has joined ESPN as an analyst, said the number of years on the contract shouldn't be a sticking point.

"It doesn't really matter because if you're any good, you're going to get your money in the third or four year," said Johnson, referring to the practice of NFL teams usually locking up their star players with contract extensions early in their careers. "And if you can't play, they're going to cut you anyway."

Only three first-round picks -- Revis and quarterbacks JaMarcus Russell, who went to the Raiders with the No. 1 overall selection, and Brady Quinn, who fell to Cleveland at No. 22 -- remain unsigned.

Neither Revis' agent, Neil Schwartz, nor Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum has commented on the negotiations, which showed no signs of a thaw. Jets cornerback Justin Miller, who is having a solid camp, tweaked his right hamstring during Sunday's simulated game at Fordham, but it's unlikely that's enough to jump-start talks with Revis with the season still more a month away.

"I would tell (Revis) to keep working out and let his representatives handle things, because either way he's going to get more money than he has ever had in his life," Johnson said.

It worked for Johnson. In the summer of 1996, Johnson chose not to report to training camp on July 13 and didn't show up until Aug. 6. He and his agent, Jerome Stanley, fought the Jets over voidable years and the total value of the contract. Stanley even threatened to have Johnson sit out the whole season and live off money from his shoe contract with Adidas and re-enter the draft the next year.

Then-Jets president Steve Gutman, who tried to get Johnson to agree to a contract before the draft, said the Jets would take money off the table if Johnson didn't sign.

Johnson wanted a better deal than the previous No. 1 overall pick, Ki-Jana Carter, who signed a seven-year, $16.4 million deal with a $7.12 million signing bonus and a voidable year in 1995. Johnson ended up with a six-year, $15 million deal that included a $6.5 million signing bonus. He said he earned roughly another $1 million in incentives.

Johnson said a deal was struck when he and Stanley flew to New York and Stanley drove out to Hofstra unannounced to negotiate with Gutman.

"The Jets paid me essentially what we wanted, and at the end I got my opt-out because I was traded (to Tampa) after my fourth year," said Johnson, adding that he wasn't bitter. "So really, the Jets gave me a $6.5 million signing bonus on a four-year deal. Not bad, huh?"

Dave Hutchinson may be reached at dhutchinson@starledger.com

let's not go overboard

the rookies have gotten installs at minicamp and OTA

Revis doesn't need to get reps to adjust to the speed of the game, not as much as some other players

my point is if they can compromise on the contract and get him in by the end of this week, or even the end of next week, Revis will still be able to contribute this year.

They arent even talking...

It worries me that Miller, Dyson, and Barrett are hurt... and Revis is holding out...

It makes me question his intelligence.. this is the perfect chance for him to lock up a starting spot... and he is letting it slip away...

Here's the thing. Right now Revis owes the Jets exactly nothing. The truth is that the league chews players up and spits them out. Teams use players only as long as they thing they are the best possible fit for their team and then they let them go. Right now, eventhough as a Jet fan I hate it, Revis has to look out for himself. If he makes a bad deal for himself the Jets are clearly not going to say, "Wow, you're right. We screwed you. Here's some extra money." The guy has to get what he can now -- not just in terms of money, but in terms of control. Most of us dont have jobs where we have to sign a contract determining how much we will make and how long we have to work for our employer that they can end whenever they want but we cant. That's what Revis and every other pro has to do. Right now Revis can legitimately say that the Jets felt he was worth 10s of millions of dollars and there is no reason to be down on him because he wants to earn that money in as short amount of time as possible so that he can regain control of his career at the earliest possible point.

Here's the thing. Right now Revis owes the Jets exactly nothing. The truth is that the league chews players up and spits them out. Teams use players only as long as they thing they are the best possible fit for their team and then they let them go. Right now, eventhough as a Jet fan I hate it, Revis has to look out for himself. If he makes a bad deal for himself the Jets are clearly not going to say, "Wow, you're right. We screwed you. Here's some extra money." The guy has to get what he can now -- not just in terms of money, but in terms of control. Most of us dont have jobs where we have to sign a contract determining how much we will make and how long we have to work for our employer that they can end whenever they want but we cant. That's what Revis and every other pro has to do. Right now Revis can legitimately say that the Jets felt he was worth 10s of millions of dollars and there is no reason to be down on him because he wants to earn that money in as short amount of time as possible so that he can regain control of his career at the earliest possible point.

Thats great and all... but he is risking his career by holding out...

Experience as a starter is priceless and he might be throwing chances of starting out the window for year 1...

Now imagine this... he comes in late... Miller gets healthy and starts along side Dyson..

Revis now needs to pass Poteat, Coleman, and Barrett just to have a shot at Miller... and Miller has a ton of potential too... this could bury Revis on the depth chart for another year... maybe more if Miller and Dyson stay healthy...

What kind of FA deal will a backup CB get?

He better get his ass in camp.

Experience as a starter is priceless and he might be throwing chances of starting out the window for year 1...

Now imagine this... he comes in late... Miller gets healthy and starts along side Dyson..

Revis now needs to pass Poteat, Coleman, and Barrett just to have a shot at Miller... and Miller has a ton of potential too... this could bury Revis on the depth chart for another year... maybe more if Miller and Dyson stay healthy...

OK but Revis thinks he's a good enough player that he will pass those players and so do the Jets considering they traded up for him. Also yeah if he stays a back up for a long time he won't get a great contract which is why he wants a good one when he can cash in.

OK but Revis thinks he's a good enough player that he will pass those players and so do the Jets considering they traded up for him. Also yeah if he stays a back up for a long time he won't get a great contract which is why he wants a good one when he can cash in.

He will get paid though... regardless of the length he will get a signing bonus... thats where the money is at... he could have his bonus and be on his way to defending Moss week 1... instead he is at home.

You are basing your whole thread/ rant on several big assumptions.

1. That all Revis had to do to be a starter was show up to camp.

You dont know this. You dont know what the coaches plans are. It is entirely possible that they werent planning to have Revis start week one. Perhaps they were going to break him in by letting him be the nickle corner. I dont think a week or even two would necessarily make any difference in terms of becoming the teams nickel corner in week 1 or 2.

2. That missing a week or even two of camp will "bury" Revis on the depth chart this season and even next?

Why would this be true. In case you havent been keeping up, Miller is injured to some extent and Dyson hasnt exactly been lighting it up. Poteat is a stop gap kind of guy (probably never going to be great, but will always be pretty solid). Coleman is a huge project.

Even if you are right and his hold out makes him last on the depth chart why would this affect his free agency which would still be 3 or 4 years away. Teams arent going to hold it against a guy if he didnt start his rookie season when he becomes a free agent as long as he played at a high level after that. Believe it or not, rookies who start from day one and make a positive impact on their teams right away are still more of the exception than the rule.

The injury to Miller and Dyson's apparantly sub standard play actually improve Revis' bargaining position.

To me its the FO thats being unreasonable. Either sign t he guy for 5 or break your "unwritten rules" against voidable contracts and they guy will be in camp tomorrow.

With that said...

Why?

It is in his best interest to sign a 5 year deal. Marshawn Lynch signed 2 picks ahead of him was signed to a 5 year deal. If he was the only first rounder, that would be one thing. However, there are quite a few first rounders signed to 5 year contracts.

Maybe everyday this year of training camp is a waste and stunts his growth, but to say a promising career will not happen because of this year alone is ridiculous.

Funny hpw when the shoe is on the other foot, the heart strings start getting played. PPPuuuhhhllleeeeeaaassseeee!!!!!! If the Jets are going to play this type of game when it comes to FAs and draft picks, you all better get used to it.

If given the chance and in a similar position, you know you all would take a 5 year deal vs. a 6 year deal because you hit FA or are extended a year earlier.

let's not go overboard

the rookies have gotten installs at minicamp and OTA

Revis doesn't need to get reps to adjust to the speed of the game, not as much as some other players

my point is if they can compromise on the contract and get him in by the end of this week, or even the end of next week, Revis will still be able to contribute this year.

Bingo. All is not lost.

Archived