Thanks for nothing Revis

ECURB

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ecurb is officially crazy. Revis, not allowing himself to get screwed by the Jets makes you question his intelligence?

He is not getting screwed by taking the extra year... he will get his signing bonus regardless and can re-negotiate after 4 years anyways (or hold out after 4 years when you have actually proven yourself to be good)

He is holding out now and he is nothing more than a rookie who hasnt proven ****...

He is not getting screwed by taking the extra year... he will get his signing bonus regardless and can re-negotiate after 4 years anyways (or hold out after 4 years when you have actually proven yourself to be good)

He is holding out now and he is nothing more than a rookie who hasnt proven ****...

Yeah. Because the Jets have proven with Kendall how willing they are to reward good play.

Yeah. Because the Jets have proven with Kendall how willing they are to reward good play.

Cotchery

They reward good young players... not grumpy old men who just got a new contract 1 year prior

Lets see...

By signing a 5 year deal Revis will

- hold out and miss valuable time hurting his playing time (and his career)

- hit the FA market 1 year earlier (if he doesn't get a new deal in year 4)

- get a singing bonus about the same as a 6 year deal

By signing a 6 year deal Revis will

- get a singing bonus about the same as a 5 year deal

- get into camp today and help his playing time (and his career)

- hit the FA market 1 year later (if he doesn't get a new deal in year 4 or 5)

- be on the fans good side

- be on the FO's good side

- be on mangini's good side

- help out his team and fellow players

Thats great and all... but he is risking his career by holding out...

Experience as a starter is priceless and he might be throwing chances of starting out the window for year 1...

Now imagine this... he comes in late... Miller gets healthy and starts along side Dyson..

Revis now needs to pass Poteat, Coleman, and Barrett just to have a shot at Miller... and Miller has a ton of potential too... this could bury Revis on the depth chart for another year... maybe more if Miller and Dyson stay healthy...

What kind of FA deal will a backup CB get?

He better get his ass in camp.

come on, you are being a little mellow dramatic. i am a huge miller fan, and if miller proves he can play this will not only help Revis, but help the JETS. remember? that team we chear for on Sundays :).

Burying revis is not a problem. If he can't beat out Barrett and Poteat we have more than just a hold out problem. Our problem would be coughing up two high draft picks for a nothing corner.

I'm pissed at Revis, but the sun still rises in the east and the jets still have the inside track to the superbowl this year...and next year...probably three years in a row to be honest.

come on, you are being a little mellow dramatic. i am a huge miller fan, and if miller proves he can play this will not only help Revis, but help the JETS. remember? that team we chear for on Sundays :).

Burying revis is not a problem. If he can't beat out Barrett and Poteat we have more than just a hold out problem. Our problem would be coughing up two high draft picks for a nothing corner.

I'm pissed at Revis, but the sun still rises in the east and the jets still have the inside track to the superbowl this year...and next year...probably three years in a row to be honest.

I am going to rip revis a new one until he signs and proves he was worth this holdout...

If he is holding out and doesnt turn out to be worth his traded up for pick then he will be one of the few JETS that I dont like much...

I am going to rip revis a new one until he signs and proves he was worth this holdout...

If he is holding out and doesnt turn out to be worth his traded up for pick then he will be one of the few JETS that I dont like much...

That should do it. because Revis really cares what some guy he's never heard of on a messageboard he's never heard of thinks about him. You bet.

I'm surprised he hasn't signed already. How can he stand the withering disapproval of someone named Ecurb?

Ecurb...He is a young player who has his entire career ahead of him. I can guarantee he is more concerned at this point with his financial fututre than his PT this season. He will get his money regardless and he might just hold out long enough where he isn't earning that money anyway. Pay the man and get him in here. You want the 6th yr...pay the man for it.

You are acting like he punched your girl in the face and called her ugly.

If he hold out then everyone will bitch about how he needs to play out his deal. He can't win either way. Also the problem with this is we traded up to get him so he knows we valued him a lot. Revis fully has the upper hand all of his demands are also what the rest of the draft signings show was fair.

Ecurb...He is a young player who has his entire career ahead of him. I can guarantee he is more concerned at this point with his financial fututre than his PT this season. He will get his money regardless and he might just hold out long enough where he isn't earning that money anyway. Pay the man and get him in here. You want the 6th yr...pay the man for it.

You are acting like he punched your girl in the face and called her ugly.

That was Miller... lol

He will get his money whether he signs 5 or 6 years... dont you get it? He will get his SB and if he plays well he will get an new deal in 5 years whether as a FA or with 1 year left as a JET...

The JETS will give someone a new deal heading into their last year... so he would get a new deal in year 5... just like he would as a FA in a 5 year deal...

He is wrong here and needs to sign the 6 and get in camp.

That was Miller... lol

He will get his money whether he signs 5 or 6 years... dont you get it? He will get his SB and if he plays well he will get an new deal in 5 years whether as a FA or with 1 year left as a JET...

The JETS will give someone a new deal heading into their last year... so he would get a new deal in year 5... just like he would as a FA in a 5 year deal...

He is wrong here and needs to sign the 6 and get in camp.

How is he wrong here? Honestly he wants a fair contract and the Jets are giving him unreasonable demands. You're the only one here completely flipping out at him for what he's doing, shouldn't that tell you maybe you're not thinking clearly?

People still dont seem to understand so let me break this down...

The JETS will negotiate a deal for a good young player heading into the last year of their deal... (see Cotchery)

So... why is Revis holding out?? It makes no sense... here is why...

If he got a 5 year deal... he would play 5 seasons here and leave for a big deal..

If he got a 6 year deal... he could play 5 seasons and if he did well renegotiate for a big contract... (chances are if he didnt play well he would be released by this point anyways)

So my point is... either way he is looking at a big pay day after the 5th year...

Lets see...

By signing a 5 year deal Revis will

- hold out and miss valuable time hurting his playing time (and his career)

- hit the FA market 1 year earlier (if he doesn't get a new deal in year 4)

- get a singing bonus about the same as a 6 year deal

By signing a 6 year deal Revis will

- get a singing bonus about the same as a 5 year deal

- get into camp today and help his playing time (and his career)

- hit the FA market 1 year later (if he doesn't get a new deal in year 4 or 5)

- be on the fans good side

- be on the FO's good side

- be on mangini's good side

- help out his team and fellow players

Actually, he will get a much larger bonus in a six year contract.

At the end of the day, the Kid thinks it is best for him to sign a 5 year deal that's all that matters. For those that say he is scrweing himself, he is a grown man, he can do that too.

What amazes me, is that we thought so much of him that we traded up about 12 or 14 spots in the draft to get him and we are now qubiling about one year. Revis has every right to fight for the contract he wants. If that means he sits out then he sits. The Jets could have got the second rated corner at their draft position or a decent corner in the second round with the pick they would have held on to) and they would not be dealing with this. Maybe that guy would have signed to contract the jets wanted.

If you want the best corner in college, you have to pay, and the Jets are unwilling to give the guy a 5 year deal even though they moved up to draft him shame on the Jets.

See this is where you are essentially wrong in you attitude about the whole situation. You keep claiming that Revis has proven nothing, when in reality he has proven that he is a good enough prospect to be a first round pick (top 15) which means in today's market that he is not being unreasonable by expecting a big fat signing bonus and a five year deal. Draft picks are paid for their potential which is based on what they did in college and evaluated (monetarily) by where they went in the draft.

So what do you suggest? We rip him from his house and force him to sign it?

No. We kidnapp him and tie him to a tree covered in honey and wait for the bears. He will surely sign it once the bears come.

See this is where you are essentially wrong in you attitude about the whole situation. You keep claiming that Revis has proven nothing, when in reality he has proven that he is a good enough prospect to be a first round pick (top 15) which means in today's market that he is not being unreasonable by expecting a big fat signing bonus and a five year deal. Draft picks are paid for their potential which is based on what they did in college and evaluated (monetarily) by where they went in the draft.

Nobody is a sure thing in the draft... anyone can be a bust... you gotta prove yourself before you get the attitude he has about things...

The JETS will negotiate a deal for a good young player heading into the last year of their deal... (see Cotchery)

If he got a 5 year deal... he would play 5 seasons here and leave for a big deal..

If he got a 6 year deal... he could play 5 seasons and if he did well renegotiate for a big contract... (chances are if he didnt play well he would be released by this point anyways)

So my point is... either way he is looking at a big pay day after the 5th year...

I repeat...

and as someone else mentioned he will get more bonus money for the longer deal.. and then more bonus money again after year 5... so why isnt he doing this deal?

I think the problem may be bad advice he's getting from his uncle Sean Gilbert. He fancies himself a hotshot manager type and his nephew doesn't want to diss him. The agent may be caught in the middle.

No need to panic right now...maybe in a few weeks.

All I can say to my Jets brethren is this; Don't waste your hard earned money on a #24 Revis jersey because he won't be here long term anyway.James Farrior and Keyshawn Johnson are the last 2 draft picks to hold out and neither one of them finished their careers here. This is what KJ said in today's paper about the Revis holdout;

Johnson, who has joined ESPN as an analyst, said the number of years on the contract shouldn't be a sticking point.

"It doesn't really matter because if you're any good, you're going to get your money in the third or four year," said Johnson, referring to the practice of NFL teams usually locking up their star players with contract extensions early in their careers. "And if you can't play, they're going to cut you anyway."

Nobody is a sure thing in the draft... anyone can be a bust... you gotta prove yourself before you get the attitude he has about things...

Thats not how the NFL works so unless you would like to change the entire system you have nothing backing you up.

Thats not how the NFL works so unless you would like to change the entire system you have nothing backing you up.

Explain to me how I broke it down is a bad deal...

All I can say to my Jets brethren is this; Don't waste your hard earned money on a #24 Revis jersey because he won't be here long term anyway.James Farrior and Keyshawn Johnson are the last 2 draft picks to hold out and neither one of them finished their careers here. This is what KJ said in today's paper about the Revis holdout;

Johnson, who has joined ESPN as an analyst, said the number of years on the contract shouldn't be a sticking point.

"It doesn't really matter because if you're any good, you're going to get your money in the third or four year," said Johnson, referring to the practice of NFL teams usually locking up their star players with contract extensions early in their careers. "And if you can't play, they're going to cut you anyway."

I don't really think we should listen to Keyshawn since his way of getting his contract was bitching till he got traded which none of us want. Secondly the FO said they won't renegotiate contracts so thats not going to happen.

Like I said, Revis could easily fire his agent and pick up a new one if he so badly wanted to play...

Dont act like Revis is innocent here.

Actually that would not work. I was listening to the sirius nfl channel this morning and they were discussing Russell, the number 1 pick. Supposedly he wants 40 million guaranteed, but the raiders are stuck at 31 million after the number 2 set the tone with 27 guaranteed. One of the hosts talking about this was at one time a gm who signed players. He said there is noise about Russell thinking of changing agents, but if that happens the part of the deal that the team originally worked out with the first agent goes to him, so a new agent would only get paid on the balance of anything he works out for russell. On top of that Russell is talking a 6 year deal, so the agent won't even get paid for 6 years until he hits free agency. So either no agent would bother, or any agent that would would want even more otherwise nothing is in it for him.

So now if revis is looking at a contract that is 6 years for x amount, but wants a contract that is 5 years at x amount, a new agent would have to first get that contract down to 5, and second try to get more then x amount of money, or would have to convince the jets to give him greater then x for the 6er and convince revis to take the deal. Neither of these is likely.

I don't really think we should listen to Keyshawn since his way of getting his contract was bitching till he got traded which none of us want. Secondly the FO said they won't renegotiate contracts so thats not going to happen.

They do re-negotiate... just not when its a brand new deal for an old average OL...

If Revis turned out to be a top tier CB you can rest assured they would pay him... (see Cotchery)

Explain to me how I broke it down is a bad deal...

Because the extra money he will get from a sixth year will be nothing compared to what he will get on the open market in his fifth year if he becomes a great conerback, especially with the salary cap going up every year.

Because the extra money he will get from a sixth year will be nothing compared to what he will get on the open market in his fifth year if he becomes a great conerback, especially with the salary cap going up every year.

You read it wrong

He will get more money UP FRONT in a bonus... for signing a 6 year deal

Then he will be able to re-negotiate with 1 year left (thats the JETS "policy") essentially making it a 5 year deal with 6 year Bonus money...

It actually works out better for him...

You read it wrong

He will get more money UP FRONT in a bonus... for signing a 6 year deal

Then he will be able to re-negotiate with 1 year left (thats the JETS "policy") essentially making it a 5 year deal with 6 year Bonus money...

It actually works out better for him...

Unless he wants to be able to actually hit the open market not re-negotiate early and make much much more. He wants his big pay day to come sooner not a year later then it has to.

Keyshawn Johnson, my new favorite analyst, said it best: "The length of the contract doesn't matter, if you're good you will get paid after your 4th year regardless because that is when teams lock up their star players. If you suck, well then you're going to be cut anyway and won't see that 6th year." (not a direct quote but generally he said this)

Sign the friggin contract and play football, otherwise go make fries.

Keyshawn is full of it. First, teams with players locked for 5 years lock up there players in year 4, players with 6ers get locked up in 5. The exception is qb's, because a franchise qb is not easy to come by and it is extremely important to keep a qb happy.

Like I said in another post in this thread, i was listening to sirius nfl today and they were discussing contracts, and the former gm who signed Keyshawn was one of the hosts. He said Keyshawn was great because he sat down and said, if I become great in my rookie year, i want out of my contract. The gm asked what is great, to which keyshawn said, you know, great. So the gm said he would define great, he went ant took the top players drafted in his spot or higher in the last 10 years, and they came up with concrete goals. Keyshawn agreed to these performance incentives and signed. In the end he did not live up to them and the deal stood. It is funny that Keyshawn is saying not to worry about a contract when he himself was worried about getting out of his when he was drafted.

Archived