Thanks for nothing Revis

ECURB

I wanted to talk about Persephone, but the thread got locked. That's old news and an old observation, but our genius bound Founding Fathers were Deists by and large. I'm sure that's shocking.

I wanted to talk about it too, why was it locked?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In fairness to Revis, an NFL career could end on the next snap. he should get as much money as he can.

But the longer this goes on, the more it has to do with his agent's ego,and his uncle showing everyone how smart they are and bull**** like that than what's best for his career. If he is as good as advertised, years 5, 6 and beyond will take care of themselves. Make a freaking deal already and be done with it.

Revis cannot get this year back. And big picture-an All Pro CB in NY is printing money on Madison Avenue. Yeah, go back in the draft, and go to Jacksonville or Carolina or some other nether region that deosn't have 1/10th of America's population within an hour's drive ; see how that works. Lose a full eyar of salary,a nd get bupkis in acilalry ad money. A guy who doesn't play doesn't see any of that. No Reebok, no Nike, no cars. I get the sense that Schwartz and Gilbert are teling this kid he's getting screwed. And guess what-it is a business. But he'll be costing hismelf more cash in the long term if this doesn't get done and soon.

Once again, an agent is leading a slotted salary draft picka round by the nose with total bull****. I knew from what I'd heard 2nd hand about Chris Tate that Pitt isn a crappy school. Now it's confirmed.

Sorry to interupt the Persiphone chatter, but I'm not sure I understand Bugg. You start off saying he should get what he can and then you seem to be saying the guy should cave because he'd be better off if he came to camp and that his agent has an ego play going here.

Some true or false: Almost every pick near Revis signed a 5 year deal

Schwartz has said they'd go 6 years if the money was sweetened

The Jets FO are the ones refusing to negotiate

If the above are all true, then I don't see how the kid has a choice. How much money in endorsements did Ty Law make in NY? James Hasty? Aaron Glenn? Deion did just fine in Atlanta, Dallas and Baltimore. CB isn't QB where there is automatic endorsement money. I love the Jets, but I'd tell them to kiss my ass before I'd fold my tent just not to lose a year. Falling for this "can't get the year back" bull**** is why the owners have the players by the balls. The Jets can't get the year back either and they are the ones letting the equivalent of a # 1 and #2 pick sit because they are stubborn and they're the ones looking at Hank Poteat as a starting corner.

I guess so.... this whole situation just pisses me off... and I guess if I were a 22 year old kid being offered a 6 year deal to play for the JETS I would take it... but i can see why he doesnt... though i think he should...

Spoken like a Jets' fan.

Yes, and if I was a first round pick of the Patriots a team I grew up watching, I would probably sign anything to be on the Patriots.

Revis' only loyalty to the Jets is that they drafted him. Maybe, if he was drafted by the Steelers he would look differently at signing a 6 year contract to play at home.

However, it is his best interest to sign a 6 year and start talking extension in 4 years.

The Jets FO really screwed this up. You don't give up so much to draft a player; then before he's signed, draw a line in the sand that no other team in the league has drawn. Because now this looks like it's going to drag on because of not caving in/saving face rather than because of the terms of an actual deal.

Revis' agent cannot sign a player to a 6-year deal when the 3 players selected ahead of him signed 5-year deals. He'll never get another high-profile rookie again.

The Jets have painted themselves in a corner. I'm sure they realize at this point that it would have been better to just sign him to a 5-year deal 2 weeks ago, but feel they can't back off now after letting it drag on this long.

I'm generally a fan of Tannenbaum's, but he really screwed this up. With regards to the draft, he put all his eggs in one basket & then stomped on the basket.

The Jets FO really screwed this up. You don't give up so much to draft a player; then before he's signed, draw a line in the sand that no other team in the league has drawn. Because now this looks like it's going to drag on because of not caving in/saving face rather than because of the terms of an actual deal.

Revis' agent cannot sign a player to a 6-year deal when the 3 players selected ahead of him signed 5-year deals. He'll never get another high-profile rookie again.

The Jets have painted themselves in a corner. I'm sure they realize at this point that it would have been better to just sign him to a 5-year deal 2 weeks ago, but feel they can't back off now after letting it drag on this long.

I'm generally a fan of Tannenbaum's, but he really screwed this up. With regards to the draft, he put all his eggs in one basket & then stomped on the basket.

I think this is 100% correct. The only way to save face is to pony up enough money to get Revis to sign for 6.

Spoken like a Jets' fan.

Yes, and if I was a first round pick of the Patriots a team I grew up watching, I would probably sign anything to be on the Patriots.

Revis' only loyalty to the Jets is that they drafted him. Maybe, if he was drafted by the Steelers he would look differently at signing a 6 year contract to play at home.

However, it is his best interest to sign a 6 year and start talking extension in 4 years.

I hate to say it, but you may have a point there. What if he was wanting to sign with the Steelers all along? When I saw Revis being interviewed after we drafted him, he didnt convince me he was happy with getting picked by us. Maybe I was expecting him to act differently, but it now seems strange when you watch that interview.

The mistake the Jets made is to think they can follow what the Patriots have done in all areas. The Patriots did this exact same thing with Ben Watson, and in the end the only answer was for Watson to fire his agent and sign a 6 years deal, which he did. Jet fans don't want to hear this but the truth is when your the Patriots, the "Gold Standard for the League", you can afford to do this, when your the Jets and havn't sniffed the Super Bowl in almost 40 years, you can't. It's really as simple as that, you have to own the car before you can drive it. ;)

The mistake the Jets made is to think they can follow what the Patriots have done in all areas. The Patriots did this exact same thing with Ben Watson, and in the end the only answer was for Watson to fire his agent and sign a 6 years deal, which he did. Jet fans don't want to hear this but the truth is when your the Patriots, the "Gold Standard for the League", you can afford to do this, when your the Jets and havn't sniffed the Super Bowl in almost 40 years, you can't. It's really as simple as that, you have to own the car before you can drive it. ;)

if I understand you correctly, you're saying that schwartz would cave to a 6 yr deal if this was the pats & not the jets.

not sure I agree with that. #27 & sperm made very good posts assessing the situation at present.

tennebaum has a very good track record for signing rookies & I think he's pushing this too far due to his own success rather than the pats school of signing rooks

A couple of points to think about.

Good Strategists adapt to real world conditions.

Even competent ones do that. Maybe six years was worth a try a couple a weeks ago. If Revis had signed that deal quickly or if one of the other players had done so then the market may well have moved in that direction. It didn't. Our master strategist (Mike Tannenbaum) has to understand that he is not playing the same game of poker that he was playing 2 weeks ago. Frankly I don't see any issue with saying.... "We wanted six years and thought it would be better for the Jets, but since that time, players and clubs around the league have established a five-year deal as the normal deal. Although we would still have preferred a six year deal, recognize that fact and have come to terms on a five-year deal accordingly"

Beware of the poisoned player

I don't know much about Revis' character or mantal makeup but some players react to what they feel is personal insults and carry that around with them. Sometimes for years. Laveranues Coles is a perfect example. If LC thinks he was being dissed by the club, he would take less money to go elsewhare just so he could stick it to his current team. LC may be an extreme case but there are plenty of other players who take this stuff personally. I hope that Revis is not one of those

If we "win", we lose.

even is Revis is not an LC type brooder, I think that If is this all gets settled in the next couple of days for a six year deal, that would be the worst possible outcome for the Jets. Around the league, Revis will be the guy who held out and then caved. None of this will be forgotten because next year people will be citing "the Revis case" for why six year is or is not a good deal for their clients. He is going to wake up every morning, look into the mirror and know that he bent over and accepted a deal that nobody else was forced to accept. No matter how many times Eric Mangini pats you on the back and tells you what a good job you are doing, I don't know how you get away from that fact is you are Revis. That would be a poisonous work relationship right off the bat. I don't know how any of this can have a good effect on future negotiations.

Archived