Dolphins offensive line problems

faba

By BEN VOLIN

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, August 09, 2007

DAVIE — All L.J. Shelton and his agent wanted was an answer.

Why has Shelton, an offensive lineman who played every snap last season, listed as the second-team right tackle on the team's initial depth chart?

Why wouldn't new coach Cam Cameron or any of the assistants talk to him about his playing situation?

Why wouldn't General Manager Randy Mueller return any of the five calls placed by Shelton's agent the past two days?

Is Shelton, entering the second year of a four-year, $15 million contract, in the team's plans?

"He's just confused on what they're doing," Shelton's agent, Vance Larimer, said Tuesday. "He didn't say he had trouble getting along with anybody. He just said they're kind of ignoring him."

According to sources, Shelton got his answer from offensive line coach Hudson Houck before Wednesday afternoon's practice:

He's too big.

Sources said coaches want Shelton, listed in the Dolphins' media guide at 345 pounds, to shed some of his weight for the season.

One source said that once Shelton gets down to 330 pounds, the coaches assured him he will return to the starting lineup.

"He was very upbeat, and he's been consistently reassured that the top five linemen will start come the beginning of the season," said Larimer, Shelton's Denver-based agent.

"And he's been reassured that they believe he's in that group."

Shelton started at left tackle for five games last year and right guard for 11 games, but Larimer said Shelton expected to be the starting right tackle when training camp began almost two weeks ago.

Instead, he's played with the second-teamers, while Anthony Alabi, Chris Liwienski and rookie Drew Mormino have played on the first team.

The Dolphins have used several different starting line combinations the past few days when Alabi, a right tackle, had a minor left knee injury, but none included Shelton.

He is set to make $2 million in base salary this season, then $3 million and $3.75 million the next two seasons.

He was one of the team's biggest signings last off-season, brought in to protect quarterback Daunte Culpepper, and said last August that coming to Miami "felt right,"

"L.J. had no idea this was coming," Larimer said. "He thought he had a great off-season.

"His line coach had certainly indicated that he was the guy at right tackle."

Shelton did not return several phone calls placed on his cell phone Wednesday evening, but Larimer said Shelton is taking a wait-and-see approach to determine if his coaches are being straight with him.

Dolphins General Manager Randy Mueller also declined to comment.

"He said, 'If they're telling me the truth, then that's fine.' " Larimer said. "He wants to play there, and he liked playing there last year. He was just kind of shocked to be running with the number twos without anyone saying anything to him."

Shelton has had weight issues before. The Arizona Cardinals signed him to a five-year contract extension in 2003, but he had off-season ankle surgery and reported to 2004 camp overweight. He didn't mesh with new coach Denny Green and finished the season on injured reserve with a knee injury before being released.

He reportedly showed up overweight to Browns camp in 2005, but quickly shed the pounds and earned the starting left tackle position.

Shelton has started in 109 of 114 games since entering the league as the 21st overall pick by Arizona in 1999.

But he is not the only perceived starter listed on the second team in the Dolphins' initial depth chart, released Monday.

Rex Hadnot, the starting center the past two-plus seasons, is listed as the backup right guard, behind Mormino.

Hadnot said there is "not a doubt in my mind" that he should be a starter, but all he can do is work hard to win his job back.

Coaches have given Hadnot reps with the first team since Alabi injured himself this week. He is in the final year of his four-year contract and will earn a base salary of $850,000.

"It's been frustrating from a competitive standpoint, but I just have to see the bigger picture," Hadnot said. "I respect the decisions that they make. I just want to go out there and focus on me getting better."

If we're going to release Kendall at the end of tc & he's going to sign with Miami anyway, trade him for Shelton. Costs nothing to release Shelton at any time if he's still an injury-in-waiting pile of blubber.

Miami probably figures we will cut Kendall anyway...why trade?

Just release Kendall already and let him go down to Miami. He isn't going to be a difference maker at all. That team will still be .500 or below until they get a Secondary, Wide Receivers, another back for Ronnie 15 carries a game Brown and improve their Offensive Line drastically.

Are you sure?

Malcolm "Cam" Cameron

It is a pity Dolphins fans know very little about their own team

You got me. I actually went to the Dolphins website to double check. Well played.

Pete Kendall > L.J. Shelton.

I would hope Tannenbaum and company would go ahead and cut Kendall, but they are too carefull to do something so foolish. I would like to see Kendall in Aqua and Orange though, we could use him down here.

Cam is his name, however he's no Juan Wong.

Well, Cam is often short for Cameron, so it's possible his true name is Cameron Cameron. How inventive. Probably more than his play-calling will ever be.

EDIT: I remember reading somewhere it's actually Malcomb, so Cam makes even less sense.

You got me. I actually went to the Dolphins website to double check. Well played.

Pete Kendall > L.J. Shelton.

I would hope Tannenbaum and company would go ahead and cut Kendall, but they are too carefull to do something so foolish. I would like to see Kendall in Aqua and Orange though, we could use him down here.

man - i know "green and white" has such a nice ring to it b/c I'm obsessed with the Jets, but how much would it have to suck to have to say "Aqua and Orange"

ha!

Archived