How good is Steeler QB Roethlisberger ?

faba

Ben Roethlisberger - A Wild Ride

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger took Pittsburgh and the NFL by storm in his rookie year, and he's working to avoid a sophomore slump.

Luke Sacks

NFLPLAYERS.COM

06/02/2005

Ben Roethlisberger always wanted to be a successful quarterback in the NFL. But last season, when he took the NFL by storm, he learned that there is more to deal with than blitzing linebackers and cover corners when it comes to being the most recognizable face for a historic franchise like the Steelers.

Last year at this time Roethlisberger was simply a rookie quarterback looking to prove himself and solidify his spot on Bill Cowher's depth chart. Now his rookie season is the stuff of legends after leading Pittsburgh to a 15-1 record and a trip to the AFC Championship Game and earning NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors.

When veteran Tommy Maddox suffered an elbow injury in a week two meeting with the Ravens last September, Roethlisberger, the 11th-overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, entered the game in the third quarter. Even though the Steelers lost the game, the torch was passed and Maddox didn't see the field again until the season finale in Buffalo three months later. Roethlisberger became the city's biggest hero as the "Big Ben" phenomenon took off immediately.

"Knowing that I was in Pittsburgh, they love the Steelers more than anything and we have the greatest fans in the whole country," Roethlisberger said. "Things just kind of shot up out of nowhere. There were shirts and hats and bobblehead dolls and sandwiches. It was kind of crazy but I tried to stay focused on what was happening on the field."

"Pittsburgh's a blue-collar town and they love the hardworking, dirt-under-the fingernails kind of quarterback that I am."

It's no surprise that the Steelers faithful took a liking to Roethlisberger. He was raised less than five hours from Pittsburgh in Findlay, Ohio and played his college ball at often-overlooked Miami (Ohio) where he demonstrated a no-nonsense approach to his position. "I think I fit in well here in Pittsburgh," he said. "It's a blue-collar town and they love the hardworking, dirt-under-the fingernails kind of quarterback that I am."

After Maddox went down, Roethlisberger took the reigns of the offense and set several NFL rookie records including passing percentage (66.4) and passer rating (98.1). He tossed 17 touchdowns compared to just 11 interceptions and also became the first rookie quarterback in NFL history to post a 13-0 record in the regular season.

But most importantly he was efficient and effective in leading the Steelers on a 14-game regular season winning streak that began in his first start on Sept. 26 against Miami. "We knew going in that we had a solid team. We had a couple of setbacks

Crazy as it sounds, this kid still has alot to prove. Not so much from a talent standpoint, but from a maturity standpoint. He handled the playoffs as bad as you can play, and then the whole "I had a broken foot" thing was just an embarrassment for him. Blaming sh*tty play on an injury will get you labelled a pussy more often than not. Ben has ALOT of work to do to get his image back together.

It is way too soon to pass judgement.

However, as Jet fans, you must admit an uncanny resemblence of the year Big Ben had last year to PennyBoy's year in 2002.

Both QB's caught opposing defenses by surprise and were able to do some great things.

However, just as the Raiders showed the league how to defense PennyBoy, the Jets (beginning with the regular season game) and Pats have also showed the league how to successfully defend Big Ben.

Just as PennyBoy has never regained the success of 2002, Big Ben's first 4 or 5 games next year will be a big indicator of which path he walks down.

It is way too soon to pass judgement.

However, as Jet fans, you must admit an uncanny resemblence of the year Big Ben had last year to PennyBoy's year in 2002.

Both QB's caught opposing defenses by surprise and were able to do some great things.

However, just as the Raiders showed the league how to defense PennyBoy, the Jets (beginning with the regular season game) and Pats have also showed the league how to successfully defend Big Ben.

Just as PennyBoy has never regained the success of 2002, Big Ben's first 4 or 5 games next year will be a big indicator of which path he walks down.

i agree tx - most of his big plays came when he was out of the pocket and the coverage failed to rotate. he really struggled when forced to throw from the pocket. i think he will pretty good in the NFL but not great. he has the benefit of a great run game and defense so there isn't that much pressure on him. look for him to continue to struggle against defenses that keep him in the pocket and get pressure w/o blitzing. i remember reading somewhere that he was dumber than a box of rocks - which may have something to do with his struggles against complex defenses. when he starts scrambling his athleticism takes over and his brain doesn't have to work.

Pats have also showed the league how to successfully defend Big Ben.

Donnie Henderson created the plan that shut down Big Ben. Twice. Give credit where credit is due.

Ben's two worst games of the season were against the Jets.

He has to proven EVERYTHING. All he did last year was hand the ball of 40 times a game to Jerome Bettis or Deuce Staley and sprinkle in a TD pass in a few of his games.

He was crap in the 2nd half of the season and it carried into the playoffs where he was TERRIBLE, absolutely TERRIBLE.

tx, you can't be serious. 2002 Pennington had 1 of the best QB seasons in the last 5 years.........which you have admitted btw :lol:

He has to prove himself especially after the last two games in the playoffs against Jets and the Pats.

Steeler offense is built around solid running game and good defense so there is not as much pressure on him without a wide open passing attack.

He will have to show the intelligence to read the defenses and not to throw into coverage in the pocket

Donnie Henderson created the plan that shut down Big Ben. Twice. Give credit where credit is due.

exactly. since the first jets/pitt that the jets exposed big ben,,,every team from there on did the same and it obviously hurt him in the long run...

WTF, you can't read?

I gave credit to Hendu and the Jets (I said beginning with the Jets regular season game with the Steelers)for coming up with a very good gameplan.

Actually, the Pats copied that gameplan when they played the Steelers in the AFCC game (keep him in the pocket, switching coverages from man to zone, rotate safties to the strong side of the field).

Dumbass.

WTF, you can't read?

I gave credit to Hendu and the Jets (I said beginning with the Jets regular season game with the Steelers)for coming up with a very good gameplan.

Actually, the Pats copied that gameplan when they played the Steelers in the AFCC game (keep him in the pocket, switching coverages from man to zone, rotate safties to the strong side of the field).

Dumbass.

I can read. You said the Jets and the Pats.

When in truth it was just the Jets. The Pats didn't do well against Big Ben until Hendu laid it all out for them.

They simple copied from him.

I believe Ben scored 36 points against Belichick's scheme the first time out. Did he not?

He lit them up.

I sat with the Steelers fans in Heinz field and they all said the Jets were the only team he had trouble with. The praised Hendu day and night.

The next week Bellyache beats the Steelers. With a revised game plan no doubt.

But Tx wants to share the credit. Thief.

He has to proven EVERYTHING. All he did last year was hand the ball of 40 times a game to Jerome Bettis or Deuce Staley and sprinkle in a TD pass in a few of his games.

He was crap in the 2nd half of the season and it carried into the playoffs where he was TERRIBLE, absolutely TERRIBLE.

tx, you can't be serious. 2002 Pennington had 1 of the best QB seasons in the last 5 years.........which you have admitted btw :lol:

EB you do realize that both Chad and Big Ben started

13 Games last year and Big Ben sprinkled 1 more TD

then Chad did..And Chad wasn't a rookie!! Fair and

Balanced is not in your Vocabulary I see!! [-X

Oh and the Staley/Bettis Combo had 442 carries the

Martin/Jordan Combo had 464

I believe Ben scored 36 points against Belichick's scheme the first time out. Did he not?

If you want to call 18/24 for 196 yards "lighting it up" by all means, do so.

BTW, what did Big Ben have to do with Deshea Townsend's INT for a TD?

And another pick which enabled the Steelers to start a drive from inside the 10-yard line?

Yep, Big Ben was directly responsible for hanging 36 big ones on the Pats defense. :shock:

EB you do realize that both Chad and Big Ben started

13 Games last year and Big Ben sprinkled 1 more TD

then Chad did..And Chad wasn't a rookie!! Fair and

Balanced is not in your Vocabulary I see!! [-X

Oh and the Staley/Bettis Combo had 442 carries the

Martin/Jordan Combo had 464

Don't make me bring out the whooping stick!! Don't make me do it!! :x:lol:

Maybe I'm not fair and balanced sometimes, but all I know is, Chad > big pen pusher

If you want to call 18/24 for 196 yards "lighting it up" by all means, do so.

BTW, what did Big Ben have to do with Deshea Townsend's INT for a TD?

And another pick which enabled the Steelers to start a drive from inside the 10-yard line?

Yep, Big Ben was directly responsible for hanging 36 big ones on the Pats defense. :shock:

18 for 24 for almost 2 bills is a GREAT day against the Pats D for a rook, IMO. To tell you the truth, I'm almost positive that Belichick ran a pre-season cover-two on Roethlisberger because he knew he'd see him again in the post-season. He gives them the regular season game, then turns the table on them in the playoffs. That hustla!

savage, chad played with a torn rotator cuff last year. And Roethlisberger played in 15 games, while Chad played in 12 1/2 games. So you're wrong there.

This 1 is for TX

2002 - Chad

12 games started

399 passing attempts

275 completions

68.9 completion percentage

3120 yards

22 Touchdowns

6 INTs

104.2 QB Rating

2004 - Ben Roethlisberger

15 games played

295 passing attempts

196 completions

2621 yards

66.4 completion percentage

17 TDs

11 INTS

98.1 QB Rating

To tell you the truth, I'm almost positive that Belichick ran a pre-season cover-two on Roethlisberger because he knew he'd see him again in the post-season. He gives them the regular season game, then turns the table on them in the playoffs. That hustla!

If that is true, then BB can walk on water and turn water into wine at the same time chewing gum.

This 1 is for TX

2002 - Chad

12 games started

399 passing attempts

275 completions

3120 yards

22 Touchdowns

6 INTs

104.2 QB Rating

This 1 is for barton:

January 12, 2003 - Chad

1 huge playoff game started

47 passing attempts

21 completions

44.6 completion percentage

183 yards

0 Touchdowns

2 INTs

37.8 QB Rating (4.5 QB rating in 4th quarter)

:wink:

savage, chad played with a torn rotator cuff last year. And Roethlisberger played in 15 games, while Chad played in 12 1/2 games. So you're wrong there.

This 1 is for TX

2002 - Chad

12 games started

399 passing attempts

275 completions

3120 yards

22 Touchdowns

6 INTs

104.2 QB Rating

15 games played

295 passing attempts

196 completions

2621 yards

17 TDs

11 INTS

98.1 QB Rating

First off NFL .com says Chad started 13 games

2nd Chad threw 75 more passes then Ben for 1

less TD! I was using Reg Season stats not Playoff

stats..But If Chad was hurt he shouldn't have been

Playing! He was still throwing some deep Balls!

What I'm saying is your such a Homer you downgrade

any performance that's not a Jet Player! For a

rookie Ben did very well as any Fair Minded Fan

would tell you! And the NFL said he started 13

games that's good enough for me!!

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187395

Ben http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/493043

Well he (Ben) PLAYED in 15 games savage, the only week he didn't play in was week 1.

Chad completely missed 3 games due to injury, and counting the bills game in which he got injured, he missed 3 1/2 games.

Either way, I usually give credit where credit is due. Big Ben did very well in the beginning, but completely sucked the rest of the way. He still has ALOT to prove, thats all I'm sayin.

Kinda like the Jets QB barton? :wink:

Because in his career he has yet to beat a good defensive team.

He beat the phins a few times as well as the patriots back in 2002?? Beat the chargers, and nearly beat last years steelers.

He beat the phins a few times as well as the patriots back in 2002?? Beat the chargers, and nearly beat last years steelers.

Pats defensive rankings in 2002:

Overall: 24th

Rushing Defense: 32nd

And "nearly" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :wink:

Big Ben is ok; got a bit exposed in the playoffs last year. The Steelers threw less than any team in the NFL, tright?

Chad will be 29 this month. When he turns 20, will people finally stop playing the "Well, his shoulder hurt, his WRs were terrible, Hackett was a tool..."

Well he (Ben) PLAYED in 15 games savage, the only week he didn't play in was week 1.

Chad completely missed 3 games due to injury, and counting the bills game in which he got injured, he missed 3 1/2 games.

Either way, I usually give credit where credit is due. Big Ben did very well in the beginning, but completely sucked the rest of the way. He still has ALOT to prove, thats all I'm sayin.

Well I'll tell you what..I'll take a 15-1 team

that sucks over a Kotite 1-15 Team any day of the

Week!! :mrgreen:

Big Ben is ok; got a bit exposed in the playoffs last year. The Steelers threw less than any team in the NFL, tright?

Chad will be 29 this month. When he turns 20, will people finally stop playing the "Well, his shoulder hurt, his WRs were terrible, Hackett was a tool..."

I dunno, I could see by this time next year

"well it was his 1st year in the system and ya know he never got to practice until july....."

Chad should have a long career. He's just 28 years old and as we all know QBs can stay well into their primes in their late 30's.

And "nearly" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. :wink:

mean gene - why do you always revert to the same arguments when dealing with chad? yes, he has a lot too prove, and only time will tell with him. if chad is the mvp this year and the jets win the super bowl all we will hear from you is 'brady won 3'. the point of this board isn't to constantly say the same thing, over, and over, and over, and over again.

This 1 is for TX

2002 - Chad

12 games started

399 passing attempts

275 completions

3120 yards

22 Touchdowns

6 INTs

104.2 QB Rating

15 games played

295 passing attempts

196 completions

2621 yards

17 TDs

11 INTS

98.1 QB Rating

One little, ok huge flaw, in your analogy.

Prior to 2002, Chad had been in 3 trainings camps, 2 off-season workout programs, 2 seasons of practice and parts of 4 NFL games.

Prior to Ben becoming the starter in Week 3, he had been in the NFL for about 6 months. He had been facing NFL caliber competition for one training camp before breaking his cheery against the Ravens in Week 2.

I would certainly hope a Rhodes Schloar that sat on the bench for the first 37 games of his career could play better then a rookie QB.

Archived