The latest on Revis

Kentucky Jet

STAR LEDGER

By Dave Hutchinson

GM Mike Tannenbaum is trying to come up with a "creative way" to give rookie hold out Darrelle Revis an opportunity to earn fair-market value in a sixth year of a deal the club is steadfast in getting him to sign, according to someone who has spoken to Tannenbaum. That person, who requested anonymity because a deal hasn't been reached, said that creativity would include incentives, roster bonuses, etc.

The Revis camp, however, wants a five-year deal, similar to the ones signed by all but one of the first-rounders selected from six to 16. That player, the Texans' Amobi Okoye, signed a six-year deal with a voidable clause that is easily triggered, meaning he essentially signed a five-year deal.

Though the Revis camp hasn't spoken publicly, it is believed that the outrage they feel over being forced into signing a six-year deal is the same the Jets would feel if Revis demanded a four-year deal while everyone taken around him signed a five-year contract.

============

So now we know who's being unreasonable .. Tanny is willing to negotiate fair {i.e. Greater} compensation for that sixth year, but it takes two sides to tango .. this team needs that sixth year for a reason, they can't have Brick, Revis {etc.} vying as free agents in the same off-season, but Tanny "IS" willing to compensate Revis for that sixth year

IMO it all comes down to Revis now, Tanny has shown a willingness to compensate the young man financially, but is Revis even the least bit interested in being a "team player" and coming to some kind of compromise, one that benifits the team in terms of length and compensates Revis in terms of raw dollars?

GJ&H posted this on another board

This has been the endgaem all along. Tannebaum will give more up front bonus money and a lucrative 6th year which would vest rather easily if Revis is the player we all think he will be. The ball is in the agent's court. He can go backa nd tell his cleint how he increased the bonus and gauranteed cash in exchange for year 6. GET IT DONE. If I have to see another story that has the phrase "Barrett burned again" I'll scream. They need Revis and Dyson to be in place, and everything else flows from that.

That person, who requested anonymity because a deal hasn't been reached, said that creativity would include incentives, roster bonuses, etc.

What the heck does that mean financially for Revis. Incentives, roster bonuses, etc?

The salary cap is going to be much higher in 6 years than it is today.

Though the Revis camp hasn't spoken publicly, it is believed that the outrage they feel over being forced into signing a six-year deal is the same the Jets would feel if Revis demanded a four-year deal while everyone taken around him signed a five-year contract.

The Revis camp may not be talking publicly, but it certainly sounds as if someone from the camp is talking privately to Dave Hutchinson. :deshade:

It's also a very fair analogy.

What the heck does that mean financially for Revis. Incentives, roster bonuses, etc?

The salary cap is going to be much higher in 6 years than it is today.

Exactly. This is why Revis wants a five year deal. No one can predict what the numbers will be for a top CB five years from now, all they know is that it's probably going to be a lot. If Tanny wants to get creative, he can promise a number vs. the average of the top 10 salaries at the position that year.

There's noting in this article that suggests Tannenbaum is being fair, only that he's still trying to work out a longer deal than any other pick from 6-16 has signed. That in itself is unfair. If he wants to make a longer deal work, he's going to have to be generous with it.

There's noting in this article that suggests Tannenbaum is being fair, only that he's still trying to work out a longer deal than any other pick from 6-16 has signed. That in itself is unfair. If he wants to make a longer deal work, he's going to have to be generous with it.

I don't see Revis signing a 6 year deal unless it is very beneficial to him. He has leverage with the lack of 6 year deals being signed around his draft position as well as the fact that the Jets traded up to get him.

I don't see Revis signing a 6 year deal unless it is very beneficial to him. He has leverage with the lack of 6 year deals being signed around his draft position as well as the fact that the Jets traded up to get him.

The 6th year has nothing to do with his draft position. Teams are giving the 6th year to 21 year old juniors or younger since historically the first year for these types of players is a throw away year. Okoye was picked 10 by houston and signed a 6 year deal.

The 6th year has nothing to do with his draft position. Teams are giving the 6th year to 21 year old juniors or younger since historically the first year for these types of players is a throw away year. Okoye was picked 10 by houston and signed a 6 year deal.

The Okoye contract a voidable sixth year so it is really a five year deal. Revis would take one of those. That means every contract outside of the top six was effectively a five year deal.

STAR LEDGER

The Revis camp, however, wants a five-year deal, similar to the ones signed by all but one of the first-rounders selected from six to 16. That player, the Texans' Amobi Okoye, signed a six-year deal with a voidable clause that is easily triggered, meaning he essentially signed a five-year deal.

The Jets want this deal because of his age and not draft position while the Reveis camp is pointing only towards his draft position. It doesn't matter Reveis stands to lose more by going back into the draft.

I believe Revis only completed 3 years of University. That would make him a Junior.

I believe Revis only completed 3 years of University. That would make him a Junior.

Yes it would make him a true Junior and that is very young and exactly why the Jets are insisting on a six year deal. Realistically at 21 he isn't coming in here year one and doing much of anything. It will be year two that his skills start showing.

The Jets want this deal because of his age and not draft position while the Reveis camp is pointing only towards his draft position. It doesn't matter Reveis stands to lose more by going back into the draft.

Okoye is younger than Revis and he got five years (six with a voidable sixth). EVERY PLAYER outside the top six has agreed to a five year deal. Let that one sink in.... EVERY PLAYER.

Revis stands to lose some money. It is debateable how much quite frankly. The Jets stand to lose the entire top half of their 2007 draft plus the institutional inertia that goes along with not making other moves to shore up the secondary. So, a 2007 hit even before the potentially lost draft choices are considered. The rest of the league thinks the Jets are the ones asking for unreasonable terms from Revis, therefore Revis is, ipso facto not being percieved as a bad apple for turning the Jets down.

Tannenbaum has screwed the pooch royally on this one. Worst piece of GM'ing since the NY Rangers messes a few years ago.

He cant...Once a player enters the draft he can no longer play in the NCAA.

Hrmm.... What an unholy alliance between a college organization and a specific professional league. Oh well, as someone suggested, take on an assistant coaching position with his alma mater and keep himself somewhat sharp that way.

Okoye is younger than Revis and he got five years (six with a voidable sixth). EVERY PLAYER outside the top six has agreed to a five year deal. Let that one sink in.... EVERY PLAYER.

Revis stands to lose some money. It is debateable how much quite frankly. The Jets stand to lose the entire top half of their 2007 draft plus the institutional inertia that goes along with not making other moves to shore up the secondary. So, a 2007 hit even before the potentially lost draft choices are considered. The rest of the league thinks the Jets are the ones asking for unreasonable terms from Revis, therefore Revis is, ipso facto not being percieved as a bad apple for turning the Jets down.

Tannenbaum has screwed the pooch royally on this one. Worst piece of GM'ing since the NY Rangers messes a few years ago.

He is not much younger and again no matter how you cut it the deal is a 6 year deal and Reveis and his agent said they do not want a deal like that.

Hrmm.... What an unholy alliance between a college organization and a specific professional league. Oh well, as someone suggested, take on an assistant coaching position with his alma mater and keep himself somewhat sharp that way.

Yes and then get drafted in the second round/late first and lose 6-8 million of guarenteed money alone or even worse fall to the forth and lose 12 in guarentees. Glad you are not my agent.

Yes and then get drafted in the second round/late first and lose 6-8 million of guarenteed money alone or even worse fall to the forth and lose 12 in guarentees. Glad you are not my agent.

You have no possible way of knowing where he would get drafted so everything else is hot air.

He is not much younger and again no matter how you cut it the deal is a 6 year deal and Reveis and his agent said they do not want a deal like that.

Wrong again. It is Mike Tannenbaum who has publicly stated that he "doesn't do voidable years" not the Revis representation.

If the deal is a six year deal with a voidable final year clause, with the viodable year being at the discretion of the player, then if you want to call that still a six year deal then you are exactly the kind of sucker that they would be hoping to fool with that fig leaf.

Hey... I would give Tannenbaum a ten year deal with five voidable years. How about that? No extra charge :P

STAR LEDGER

By Dave Hutchinson

GM Mike Tannenbaum is trying to come up with a "creative way" to give rookie hold out Darrelle Revis an opportunity to earn fair-market value in a sixth year of a deal the club is steadfast in getting him to sign, according to someone who has spoken to Tannenbaum. That person, who requested anonymity because a deal hasn't been reached, said that creativity would include incentives, roster bonuses, etc.

============

So now we know who's being unreasonable .. Tanny is willing to negotiate fair {i.e. Greater} compensation for that sixth year, but it takes two sides to tango .. this team needs that sixth year for a reason, they can't have Brick, Revis {etc.} vying as free agents in the same off-season, but Tanny "IS" willing to compensate Revis for that sixth year

IMO it all comes down to Revis now, Tanny has shown a willingness to compensate the young man financially, but is Revis even the least bit interested in being a "team player" and coming to some kind of compromise, one that benifits the team in terms of length and compensates Revis in terms of raw dollars?

GJ&H posted this on another board

Why do you think the Revis camp is being unreasonable when the Jets are the ones sticking to a six year deal when all the other picks signed for 5 or with a voidable sixth? It also dosen't indicate that Tannenbaum has come up with any real compensation for signing for sixth. Instead of "incentives, roster bonunses, etc" how about more guaranteed money? That would make some sense.

Yes it would make him a true Junior and that is very young and exactly why the Jets are insisting on a six year deal. Realistically at 21 he isn't coming in here year one and doing much of anything. It will be year two that his skills start showing.

If he can't help us big time in year one our FO is idiotic. He basically represents half our draft for '07. If he can't help us this year, don't you think we'd have been better served picking up a guard? I mean they knew they were going to force Kendall's hand.

Where did you see that? I've never seen Revis or his agent say they wouldn't sign for a voidable 6th. The Jets are demanding a legit full sixth year. Then they can still franchise him.

You have no possible way of knowing where he would get drafted so everything else is hot air.

He would not get drafted in the top 15 I can guarentee you that. Not with this egg on his face and being out of football for a year. See Maurice Clarett and Mike Williams.

Wrong again. It is Mike Tannenbaum who has publicly stated that he "doesn't do voidable years" not the Revis representation.

If the deal is a six year deal with a voidable final year clause, with the viodable year being at the discretion of the player, then if you want to call that still a six year deal then you are exactly the kind of sucker that they would be hoping to fool with that fig leaf.

Hey... I would give Tannenbaum a ten year deal with five voidable years. How about that? No extra charge :P

Reread the article. It says in plain english that Reveis is the one who doesn't want the voidable year. I have never read that Tannenbaum wanted the voidable year or not - but it is possible he doesn't. But hey atleast I know the Jets could trade his rights if they wanted to.

Once again I will quote this. Reveis will not do a voidable year.

Once again I will quote this. Reveis will not do a voidable year.

You're wrong. Revis would take the voidable year.

All that article says is that even the deal Amobi Okoye signed is essentially a five year deal, too, because the voidable clause is easily triggered. In past articles it's been clearly stated that the Jets are opposed to voidable years in principle, and that "it's believed" the Revis camp would accept one. I'm willing to bet that it's believed because the reporter was told they would - off the record, of course.

You're wrong. Revis would take the voidable year.

All that article says is that even the deal Amobi Okoye signed is essentially a five year deal, too, because the voidable clause is easily triggered. In past articles it's been clearly stated that the Jets are opposed to voidable years in principle, and that "it's believed" the Revis camp would accept one. I'm willing to bet that it's believed because the reporter was told they would - off the record, of course.

No that is not what the article says at all. Read it again.

No that is not what the article says at all. Read it again.

As I said, it's been mentioned in previous articles that it's the Jets who are opposed to voidable years, not the Revis camp. I can't help it if Hutchinson's a poor writer.

If he sat out the year to re-enter the draft, no way he would go in the top half of the draft again, he would definitely drop, he would lose a lot of money, from his signing bonus, one year's salary, along with getting a smaller contract, all money he can never get back.

And he wants a 5 year deal, so if he re-enters the draft next year and gets his 5 year deal, he still would be under contract for the next 6 years, only minus this one, so what is the sense in that? he would be gaining absolutley nothing and losing millions.

Stupid, he is really getting bad advice from his schmuck agent.

If he sat out the year to re-enter the draft, no way he would go in the top half of the draft again, he would definitely drop, he would lose a lot of money, from his signing bonus, one year's salary, along with getting a smaller contract, all money he can never get back.

And he wants a 5 year deal, so if he re-enters the draft next year and gets his 5 year deal, he still would be under contract for the next 6 years, only minus this one, so what is the sense in that? he would be gaining absolutley nothing and losing millions.

I agree 100%.

I could care less if he does go back into the draft. If he is going to be a schmuck like this than he will be no better of a player than his fat JAG uncle Sean Gilbert who had the same problem. The Jets asking for a 6 year deal is not unprecidented yet this schmuck is acting like it is. Bad advice like you said.

Great point, I agree.

Reread the article. It says in plain english that Reveis is the one who doesn't want the voidable year. I have never read that Tannenbaum wanted the voidable year or not - but it is possible he doesn't. But hey atleast I know the Jets could trade his rights if they wanted to.

It does not say that. Not at all. It says he wants a five year deal. The Jets refuse to offer voidable years "on principle" so it is the Jets that refuse to offer a deal similar to Okoye's. The artcle does not say, in any language, anything about an offer of a voidable sixth year.

...and if he sits out the year the Jets wasted a number one and a number two to trade up for nothing. Maybe Tannenbaum shouldn't be taking advice from his schmuck agent either.

Archived