Jetsblog: Is Brad Smith a Lynchpin?

Kentucky Jet

Is Brad Smith a Lynchpin?

Exactly two weeks from the initial cutdowns to 75, the Jets are in a bit of a pickle around one very important roster spot that could potentially create a domino theory for the rest of their roster.

Kellen Clemens work last Friday validated what the Jets had hoped from their second year QB, that he looks ready to ascend to the second QB on the roster. So, if Clemens is the #2, what does that mean for Brad Smith and Tuiasosopo?

Keep in mind that roster spots are a precious commodity, and carrying four Quarterbacks is a ridiculous notion, unless you are the Tampa Bay Bucs. As of a 1995 rule change, the 3rd QB is designated as an emergency, and he

that's an interesting dilemna for sure.

i'm already kinda gadget played out. he pretty much screams gadget play every time he takes the field on offense. huge talent & assett but at what expense?

I'd hate for smith not to play special teams

IMO Smith is probably better as an every down QB than any other option we have so why not keep him as the #3? If he actually has to start we are already in deep poop. I think we could grab a guy off the street at that point and still be better off than keeping Tui.

IMO Smith is probably better as an every down QB than any other option we have so why not keep him as the #3? If he actually has to start we are already in deep poop. I think we could grab a guy off the street at that point and still be better off than keeping Tui.

I think the problem is that if he is the #3 then he can't play at other positions throughout the game, but I may not be reading the article correctly.

Honestly, I'm a little confused.:confused:

My guess is if they decide not to keep Tui, then they will designate Smith as a WR and not even keep a designated third QB. If Chad and Clemens both get injured in the same game, then, I believe Smith or anyone else can play QB, just as if you had three QBs and they all got hurt.

My guess is if they decide not to keep Tui, then they will designate Smith as a WR and not even keep a designated third QB. If Chad and Clemens both get injured in the same game, then, I believe Smith or anyone else can play QB, just as if you had three QBs and they all got hurt.

Tutt and Stuckey have had experience at the QB position in college.

Tutt and Stuckey have had experience at the QB position in college.

Yes. I believe the whole idea of the designated third QB is you can take one of the inactive spots and make it semi-active (4th QTR - QB position only). If you have a player like Smith, who can play other positions and is the third best QB on the team, then you don't need to use the designated third QB spot.

I think.

I think the problem is that if he is the #3 then he can't play at other positions throughout the game, but I may not be reading the article correctly.

yeah me too. as the #3 q'back he can't enter the game til 4th quarter but can he come in as a gunner or wr? I don't know

yeah me too. as the #3 q'back he can't enter the game til 4th quarter but can he come in as a gunner or wr? I don't know

I think the theory is that while Kellen would be the Depth chart #2, Smith would be listed as the game day #2, which means that Kellen couldn't come in for a series until the fourth, it would have to be Smith.

Again, theory being, that if Penny is out for more than a series or two, he's not coming back, and we have more to worry about than if we can have a trick play from Smith.

With Smith as the official #2, he can play anywhere, including QB, WR and Special teams.

I still think it's far fetched, and would suck for Kellen.

I said this in a thread a week or two ago. Its actually a very good situation for the Jets. Say our depth chart is like this.

1. Chad Pennington

2. Brad Smith

3. Kellen Clemmens (Inactive- emergency QB)

Brad smith can now go in at whatever position he wants any time he wants. Kellen is still the second string QB but there is only one catch. He can go in in the fourth quarter, OR if he enters earlier Chad Pennington or Brad Smith cannot re-enter. Essentially KC would only go in if Pennington was hurt so that isn't a big deal, the only problem is he would have to be without Brad Smith the rest of the game, but that isn't too bad. What makes this even better is by having our real second string QB inactive, it frees up a roster spot somewhere else.

BUUT we don't HAVE TO have 3 QBs on the roster. We could list him as a WR and he'd still be able to go in as a QB if needed, right? What would stop us from doing this?

He probably wouldn't be allowed to wear a radio helmet if he went in.

BUUT we don't HAVE TO have 3 QBs on the roster. We could list him as a WR and he'd still be able to go in as a QB if needed, right? What would stop us from doing this?

You don't HAVE to have a 3rd QB, but it's a free active day roster spot. The emergency QB doesn't count on the active day 45 man roster.... remember, there are 8 men who don't dress every week. If you don't have an emergency QB, then you don't get that slot. If you're not going to use it, you might as well keep Tui.

he already took snaps from center in regular season games last year - I do not believe he was designated as a QB?

he already took snaps from center in regular season games last year - I do not believe he was designated as a QB?

The 3RD QB designation has only to do with a roster spot - not who's getting the snap. Any player can take a direct snap, without making them the 3rd QB. The thing is, if you want an extra guy on the game day roster, he can't go in unless you don't want your first and second string QBs to go back in. He's the insurance policy that doesn't count as a roster spot. If Brad Smith is the emergency QB, he can't play anything else. If Kellen or Tui is the emergency string, Brad would take up a roster spot, but would be able to play WR OR QB...

I think the theory is that while Kellen would be the Depth chart #2, Smith would be listed as the game day #2, which means that Kellen couldn't come in for a series until the fourth, it would have to be Smith.

Again, theory being, that if Penny is out for more than a series or two, he's not coming back, and we have more to worry about than if we can have a trick play from Smith.

With Smith as the official #2, he can play anywhere, including QB, WR and Special teams.

I still think it's far fetched, and would suck for Kellen.

This is the theory. What it means in practice is that Smith isn't the 3rd wr. If they lose Pennington and they choose to put Clemens in during the first half, Smith wouldn't be able to play again. That probably wouldn't work if Smith is a truly essential part of the O or specials.

True, but as the article states, if they designate Clemens #3, Brad Smith is #2 and we open another slot for a player to be on the 45 man roster on gameday... Parcells did this all the time, most famously in 1999 when Testaverde blew out his achilles, and if you remember, Tom Tupa played QB until the 4th quarter because Rick Mirer (why!!!) was the #3 QB.

True, but as the article states, if they designate Clemens #3, Brad Smith is #2 and we open another slot for a player to be on the 45 man roster on gameday... Parcells did this all the time, most famously in 1999 when Testaverde blew out his achilles, and if you remember, Tom Tupa played QB until the 4th quarter because Rick Mirer (why!!!) was the #3 QB.

Yeah AEC4 is right. Clemens would be listed as the #3. They are going to want to save that roster spot. They will use it either for an extra WR or in the front 7.

You don't HAVE to have a 3rd QB, but it's a free active day roster spot. The emergency QB doesn't count on the active day 45 man roster.... remember, there are 8 men who don't dress every week. If you don't have an emergency QB, then you don't get that slot. If you're not going to use it, you might as well keep Tui.

Why waste cap money on Tui?

You are correct. That is the way to get an extra guy on the active roster. But to me, the risk of not being able to bring in your second best QB immediately if Chad gets injured early in a game more than mitigates the benefit of suiting up the 45th best player on the team. Especially, with Chad's injury history (although I happen to be in the camp who believes Chad's injury problems have been more bad luck than being so-called "injury prone").

Archived