'We have broken speed of light'

BP

By Nic Fleming, Science Correspondent

Last Updated: 12:01am BST 16/08/2007

A pair of German physicists claim to have broken the speed of light - an achievement that would undermine our entire understanding of space and time.

According to Einstein's special theory of relativity, it would require an infinite amount of energy to propel an object at more than 186,000 miles per second.

However, Dr Gunter Nimtz and Dr Alfons Stahlhofen, of the University of Koblenz, say they may have breached a key tenet of that theory.

advertisement

Telegraph - Menswear/Shoes

The pair say they have conducted an experiment in which microwave photons - energetic packets of light - travelled "instantaneously" between a pair of prisms that had been moved up to 3ft apart.

Being able to travel faster than the speed of light would lead to a wide variety of bizarre consequences.

For instance, an astronaut moving faster than it would theoretically arrive at a destination before leaving.

The scientists were investigating a phenomenon called quantum tunnelling, which allows sub-atomic particles to break apparently unbreakable laws.

Dr Nimtz told New Scientist magazine: "For the time being, this is the only violation of special relativity that I know of."

link

Aha, are we going to start conqueting space soon? This makes me want to watch those old Star Trek shows I saw as a kid. I think Spike shows reruns of the Next Generation randomly throughout the day.

The Next Generation bunch "conquer" space? All they ever seemed to do was empathise and try to be friends with all the aliens instead of Kirk's "just beat the crap out of them" style.

i remember an experiment when i was in college where some theoretical physicists had successful completed a similar experiment. from what i recall, they were able to get a particle to jump instanteneously between two charged plates. although the distance was much smaller (the plates were microns apart), at no time did the particle pierce a thin barrier between the plates, it simply jumped from one to the other. very well may have been the first incidence of teleportation. cool stuff.

i remember an experiment when i was in college where some theoretical physicists had successful completed a similar experiment. from what i recall, they were able to get a particle to jump instanteneously between two charged plates. although the distance was much smaller (the plates were microns apart), at no time did the particle pierce a thin barrier between the plates, it simply jumped from one to the other. very well may have been the first incidence of teleportation. cool stuff.

Did you do any experiments with human gas, raisins etc in college?

Every time scientists think they have a pretty good handle on the universe, they get kicked in the a$$. We are not even in cosmic pre-school.

I love the guys who always scoff at the thought of UFOs and aliens as completely impossible, because, as everybody knows, the sheer distances of the nearest stars is so great and nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. LOL

how did they "clock" it ? a particle moving 3 feet at the speed of light ? I'd need to know more about the timing mechanism before taking this seriously

the same stopwatch that Randy Moss used when he supposedly ran a 4.29 forty for the patriots.

I thought of this too. I wonder if it's an offshoot of that "quantum teleportation" idea. If so, it's clever but totally un-implementable

I thought of this too. I wonder if it's an offshoot of that "quantum teleportation" idea. If so, it's clever but totally un-implementable

At the moment, yes. But who knows whether scientists are able to make use of it 100 years down the road.

although this morning i got horrible gas in anticipation of the sausage, egg and hot sauce hoagie i had just ordered.

Two things. First, you actually got the gas BEFORE you ate the the sausage, egg and hot sauce hoagie. Therefore your body went into the future(gastrointestinal chaos) before supplying the stimulus (sausage, egg and hot sauce hoagie). Interesting. Secondly, did that hoagie have peppers on it?

The Next Generation bunch "conquer" space? All they ever seemed to do was empathise and try to be friends with all the aliens instead of Kirk's "just beat the crap out of them" style.

That's the reason I never got into Next Generation. Kirk had it right all along. :)

post-1691-12804639632001_thumb.jpg

Archived